☼ arwen Fighting with anxiety

arwen

• Moderator Emeritus

Its good to hear you are doing so well now Arwen and thank you for updating.  Your one remaining symptom which lasts for a few second on waking, certainly sounds tolerable, I'm sure even that will go away too eventually.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Wonderful post! All the best to you!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

• 3 months later...

10 months free of Paxil! Still not feeling as great as 4 years ago, before my breakdown and the pills, I am somewhere between functional and ok. 

I have been very stressed for the last few months at work, now some big change is coming, it should be good, but I am afraid, what if it is worse? Because of all this, my anxiety level is pretty high, but it is not related to withdrawal, just the events at work and my sensibility. Hopefully everything will calm down soon.

I am still waking up trembling every morning, I feel like this will never improve, but I suppose we will see. Never say never... (or always...).
July 2011 - nasty anxiety crisis (lost job, became not functional, couldn't exit the house alone)
August 2011 - started 10mg Paxil  and October 2011 - 20mg (one month on 20mg)
November 2011 - starting slowly to decrease the dose at the pace my body supported. Down to 2.5 mg in January 2013 (17.5, 15, 12.5, 10, 7.5, 5, 3.7, 2.5) - at least one month at each step. Got a new job.
April 2013 - stopped completely, crashed after 2 weeks, and reinstalled 2.5mg, recovered fast.
September 2013 - started decreasing again, slower, down to 1 mg in December 2013
December 2013 - free of Paxil
March 2014 - another crash, exactly 3 months after stopping, after 2 weeks of horrors, reinstalled 1 mg - feeling better after one week.
March 2014 - July 2014: going slowly down: 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.77mg, 0.64mg
end of July 2014 - Paxil free, hopefully forever this time.

Jan 2024 update - Still Paxil free, feeling good. 

• Moderator Emeritus

You are very much like me Arwen, I tend to overthink things and when a change is happening I worry about all the 'what ifs' I have to consciously look at the positive what ifs and ignore the negative ones. "What if the change is really good and works out well for me, how good will that be?" Instead of "what if it goes wrong and I end up on the streets and homeless? " It is always better to think positive, it sounds like it will be a good change but the nature of withdrawal is that we tend to veer towards the negative. It will be fine, and you will be glad it happened once it is in place. If not you will deal with it when the time comes. Relax and enjoy the rest of your day, I hope the sun is shining for you. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks MammaP, you are so right. 

My life would be much easier without all the "what ifs". But this is what I am, I was always like that, the withdrawal just amplified it. 

I try not to be very hard on myself, I know I made the right decision to change my job, even if I am so anxious now. At least I conquered the fear and did something, didn't remain forever in a stressful but familiar environment. It will be over soon, I will get used with the new circumstances and it will be much better than before. I just need to take it easy.
July 2011 - nasty anxiety crisis (lost job, became not functional, couldn't exit the house alone)
November 2011 - starting slowly to decrease the dose at the pace my body supported. Down to 2.5 mg in January 2013 (17.5, 15, 12.5, 10, 7.5, 5, 3.7, 2.5) - at least one month at each step. Got a new job.
April 2013 - stopped completely, crashed after 2 weeks, and reinstalled 2.5mg, recovered fast.
September 2013 - started decreasing again, slower, down to 1 mg in December 2013
March 2014 - another crash, exactly 3 months after stopping, after 2 weeks of horrors, reinstalled 1 mg - feeling better after one week.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like it was a bad idea to change jobs. After only one week at the new place, I started developing bad anxiety, I am waking up a few time a night sweating, trembling (internally) and I am pretty afraid to walk 10 minutes in the crowd (the only way to arrive there). I feel trapped, I need to work but I don't know how much longer I can keep up with this extreme stress. I have brain zaps, different other weird sensations. I have been free of Paxil or other pills for almost one year. 

I have no idea what I am going to do. I don't want to go back to Paxil.

My symptoms may be peri-menopause related, but also they can be anxiety triggered by stress because of the change. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Maybe give it a bit more time arwen, its only been a week, this is a big change and its no wonder you are feeling extra stress. Any kind of change is stressful, especially to a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal. Once you get used to the new environment and routines, I'm sure you will start to feel better and realize it was a good decision after all.

Take extra time with self care and relaxation during this adjustment period. Have a look in the self care section for some ideas.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petu for your reply. It is more than just extra stress. The stress became physical. You know very well what I mean.   

I was not very clear, I started the new job 3 weeks ago, and first week was good, I was stressed, but coping.

After that week (so 2 weeks ago) I had some kind of breakdown with all the symptoms (dizziness, brain fog, pressure on the brain, strange vibrations, etc), and not only in the morning when I wake up. It has been like that ever since. 

I was able to keep up with the job until now, I don't know for how long I can resist. Many times a day, every day, I just want to quit. Only the thought of the future financial problems prevented me.

The job in itself is ok, I suppose I have to take it step by step, one day at a time. 

Today is Canada day here, so at least I got an extra day off, which is good. I was able to sleep 8 hours (with interruptions) so maybe my brain will start recovering.

I will take another look at the self care section, I haven't done it for a long time.

A week has passed since my last message. I feel a little better now, I was able to keep the job. Still not like before, but better.

The doctor found me with low iron, so I started taking iron supplements, maybe this helped too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Good! Sounds like you had a bad bout of anticipational anxiety.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yeah, something like that. Thanks Alto. I am feeling (almost) ok now.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Arwen, I just want to say how awesome your journey is!  You've gone from being a complete jumble of paxil withdrawal, to a "productive member of society" - working!

You've managed to keep your calm, even in the face of great distress.

I appreciate you.  Please continue to keep us posted - even if all you can find is the good things!   ;)

I hope you see the sun today.  

Jan

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Administrator

Speaking of which, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Very happy to hear you're doing better. Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks JanCarol for your nice words and Alto for the Sun ☼ :)

I am still doing good. I have ups and downs, but I suppose this is normal. 

I am pretty busy (with work), I have not visited the site for a long time, maybe I can catch up now, I have a few days off. 

Most of my symptoms are gone, I still wake up trembling some days, but it doesn't happen as often as before. This is the only remaining one.

I am not ready yet for a success story, but I will!

• Moderator Emeritus

I am not ready yet for a success story, but I will!

Arwen,

Congratulations on getting as far as you have.  You are now suffering from the "fear of jinxing myself" syndrome.  You can post your success story when you feel comfortable doing so.  Those of us reading it see it as a success already!

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

That is great!

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Happy for you!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

• 1 year later...

Just read your story. How are you doing Arwen?

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 2 months later...

Hi Lex,

I am doing pretty good, thank you for asking (I know this is a very late reply...). I still have some bad moments sometimes (who doesn't?), but most of the symptoms are gone and I can do almost everything I used to do before 2011, including walking in a crowded place, taking the subway or going shopping alone. And the good moments overcome the bad moments by far :)

Even if now I am not coming here very often, I am grateful for this site, it helped me a lot a few years back.

Arwen

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for stopping by to update Arwen - we need more people doing that.  So encouraging for those still going through it all.

Sounds like you are really able to enjoy life now. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

How wonderful !

I'm so happy for you Arwen to make it to the other side!

Your success is very inspiring and thank you for coming back and updating!!

Best wishes to a great life leaving this nightmare in distant history forever!

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 1 year later...
On 3/19/2014 at 6:14 PM, arwen said:
It looks like reinstalling can work even after 3-4 months after stopping. I will see, now it is very early to be sure.

I stopped Paxil at the end of last November, after a slow and long tapering. I started 2 and a half years ago at 10 mg, then 20 and then going down. It worked very well until the very end, I decreased 10-25% each time, then stabilizing for weeks (it worked for me). I had symptoms, anxiety, brain zaps, tremors, but manageable. 

The last drop, from 1 mg to nothing was not good. At the beginning it was fine, but after 2 months I crashed, the symptoms became unbearable. The knot in the stomach was never leaving me. I was fearing an unknown catastrophe will happen any minute. 

I had to reinstall at 1 mg and after one week I feel much better. 1 mg is a tiny quantity, I cut the 10mg pill in 8, and then remove some, but it can make such a difference! 

Did reinstating work after 3-4 months? Considering doing the same for pimozide which caused sleeplessness that has not ceased yet.

2 mg pimozide April-June 2017 for skin infection. Quit CT. And was fine.

2 mg pimozide Sept-Nov 2017 for skin again. Severe insomnia was side effect. Quit CT. Chronic insomnia became withdrawal effect too.

200 mg Seroquel/1 mg lorazepam/nyquil Dec. 2017-Jan. 2018 for insomnia then zolpidem for 2 weeks. Did not work. Tapered off.

Cycled Ultra PM (phenibut) and CBD Oil for 1 month with some success then they stopped working. Quit CT.

On no meds right now. Only herbs (motherwort, passionflower, mulungu powder) and having some sleep, mostly broken/light.