Chemistry: looking for hope

Chemistry

Thanks mammap, i really hope youre right. I know some people are sick for a long time before getting better - i just dont know how normal it is that ive basically gotten progressively worse over time. I feel a lot of it has to do with poor sleep and stress.

Which leads me to pointing a new symptom that started recently which is that i feel agitated. I cant lay down and feel relaxed, ifeel comfortable almost like i have energy to spend, i feel like i need to move. I feel physically stressed, its a strange sensation. I dont really know where this came from. Im not sure its akathesia even a mild form because i CAN sit still or lay still etc its just not easy anymore. I feel really uncomfortable. I feel like i need to move, especially my legs. When i wake now on my back my knees are up in the morning. I never wake up like that. I really hope this wont develop into real akathesia.

2010 - citalopram 10mg 
2011 - 20-40mg, 1 month taper, PSSD & Anhedonia - Elavil 10mg during taper.
Clonazepam when needed after a month of daily use. 
2012 - Off Elavil - Zoloft (sertraline) 25mg - 50 mgs for 6 months + Buspar for a while. Pssd & anhedonia improved on zoloft, now has gotten a lot worse since a year off. 

Off all drugs since October 2012.

This problem is at its worst at night since during the day i dont notice it as much... What can i do about this?

2010 - citalopram 10mg 
2012 - Off Elavil - Zoloft (sertraline) 25mg - 50 mgs for 6 months + Buspar for a while. Pssd & anhedonia improved on zoloft, now has gotten a lot worse since a year off. 

Im trying to lay down still and just relax everything. It seems very possible. But eventually i feel that i will get agitated and i will want to move my legs, my arms or maybe my body in general. I have this feeling that exercise would help like i the urge to do 50 pushups or something but im so tired.

Last week or the week before i had a bad week where i didnt sleep as much and i was stressed due to stuff going on and thats a big nono for me because when that happens and i get overtired my nervous system literally goes on overdrive which seems to set me back and makes matters worse for me. Im not sure if thats what caused this issue... Idk if low stress and more restful sleep would help, but its difficult to work on those things when youre so stressed and agitated already.

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

You are going to be okay. The human body has incredible capacity for regeneration especially at your age. Eat right, get sun, sleep well ... this is very important. Try to be asleep by 10, the early hour sleep is very important.

You need to forget the typical life of people your age for the next year. Have faith that you will get better and focus on the basics  EVERY DAY -- eat clean vegetabls and meats, early to sleep, rest, laugh, pray, no TV, stretch, walk, poop --  EVERY DAY!!! and you will get better, almost certainly!

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Thank you alex for this awesome post. Great timing actually. I love being reminded of these things - i will continue to follow your advice because i'm determined (and stubborn) to live med free and happy for the rest of my life. 

Take care man... thanks again! I hope you're right. 

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

• 2 weeks later...

Urgh. I know i'm up and down a lot but today things have been pretty rough. I'm really taking a close look at my life and just feeling angry today. I never felt so angry about my situation since i always felt it was kind of pointless. I feel frustrated that all this is happening to me, the severe PSSD, anhedonia, visual symptoms, etc...

I'm honestly feeling very anxious and trapped... I feel so so hopeless right now. I was just on the yahoo pssd forum going through some old posts. I know i shouldn't go there since it can really make one  feel really depressed/anxious about PSSD. Please i really need some reassurance. It really seems so permanent on those sites. Its so strange because on sites like SA or PP, most people recover at least 50% sexual/emotional functioning yet on these PSSD sites its like the opposite? 

My condition is only getting worse and worse at 19 months off. I feel so horrible. I can't believe that its gotten so bad for me, at my age, and that i might have to live with this for the rest of my life. I can't lose my gf. If only i hadn't gone on citalopram at 14. If only i would recover. I really need some reassurance. I feel so awful right now. I'm sorry. 

Fair enough if things weren't getting worse. But they are. I'm starting to have a really hard time coping with it. Can it still get better? When will it stop worsening?

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

Im sorry that i haven't responded to your email yet, so i will respond here

My visual symptoms are much worse too, here i explained my symptoms: http://wp.rxisk.org/keeping-an-eye-on-the-ball-visual-problems-on-ssris/ Username Needinghelp

I feel extremely fatigued, confused, disorientated, dizzy, foggy and out of it 24/7. It deliberating and i am scared i will stay like this

The sexual problems are a bit different for me (Im a girl) but i am positive yours will diminish after time. You are very young and these things really do get better

I have been in contact with a guy named Endure. He had worsening too, just like us for months and months. At 28 months off he started getting better, he is doing much better now.

Dont loose hope. Things will get better, really

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Thank you Olivia for replying. We have the same symptoms i swear lol. My static and afterimages might be worse than yours since i get them off of everything, like just looking at something and looking away gives me an afterimage. Although i dont have that heat wave vision so much and things like that. I feel out of it too and i feel like it has something to do with the visuals, fatigue, cognitive problems, dr, etc. I highly doubt it'll stay this way. 

Really.. Thank you i really hope so. When i got off zoloft i had a pretty mild/moderate cases, nothing  too bad really. I could have worked around the PE and stuff... but now (sorry to be blunt) but my genitals have shrunk, they're numb, etc... i'm scared i wont be able to have kids etc... I almost dont want to think its directly related to Pssd. We'll see. I think its a hormonal issue. 

Wow! that gave me so much hope. Thank you for telling me this! do you have any more stories like that? hahah. what forum is he on? he had pssd?

Really encouraging stuff just what i need right now... didn't get much sleep last night. symptoms worse because of it.

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

Funny you mention, if i dont get at least 8 hours of sleep, i feel much worse, if i over sleep, just over 8 hours i feel worse too.... I don't know if its the same with you

I have a lot of stories to tell, but i am really tired right now and feel very ill today i dont know why. I feel like giving up. If the DR/DP would just get better. Thats all i pray for.

Dont worry about the PSSD. Everyone has a symptom that is severe for them, too much to handle... For instance i have the DR/DP thats so bad i would trade it for anything. Usually its the last thing to get better, but better it will get!

Just hold on. Hold on we will all make it 

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

I get the exact same thing sleep wise. I don't know, my sleep is weird. Some of the best days i've had energy/mood wise have been less hours of sleep (lets say 6-7 hours) yet i felt better because of quality over quantity. I think my stress/restlessness/agitation/irritability/etc is at its best if i get plenty of sleep and im generally relaxed and hopeful for the future. In the past few months since my symptoms have gotten worse + new symptoms that are also worsening i've been more worried about my withdrawal/pssd and permanence so i've  been a little  bit more stress/depressed/on edge during the day, unlike how i was at 12-13 months off when i thought for sure i'd recover and i felt better. I think stress and attitude plays a big role in recovery... It's just been so so hard to be confident i'll recover and to properly relax when my symptoms are constantly worsening and my body is physically changing for the worse etc... It's just been really disturbing lately and i am more worried since i dont know if its ever going to get better or stop worsening etc. Fair enough if my symptoms were unchanged this entire time... But that isn't the case for me and its been really discouraging. 

I hope one day you could lead me to some of the stories, especially if they're pssd success stories.  i need to hear some severe cases where people lost hope years out and still recovered lol. that would be so refreshing. a lot of pssd success stories i know of consists of people who got better within the first 2-3 years. 

I hope your DP/DR gets better olivia, i have it too, probably not as bad and its horrible i know. Best thing is to just go with it and reduce stress... stress and over/under sleeping makes it worse for me. 

I hope so olivia, thanks for the encouragement. I really hope we both make it out of this, and fully recover. 

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

Hi chemistry. My story isn't the same as yours and it's not a success story (yet, one day it will be) but I just wanted to say that things do go away. My symptoms aren't the same but during this journey, I've had symptoms come and go. At the time I thought they were permanent. I had a numb bladder and arm for quite a while and that scared me. They just went away, disappeared and never came back. I had another horrible symptom, that I feel I can't talk about because it disturbed me so much, and I read up on it, found that it could be permanent, but guess what..it wasn't. It went away the same as the others did. It just faded and stopped. I have plenty now that feel permanent but I'm sure they are not.

My brain zaps are calming. I've had loads of visual stuff going on but a lot of that is getting better. Things do calm down, the worst bit is not knowing how long it will take.

It's easy to research something and find worst case scenarios. I do this more often than I should. But what we have to remember is that we are all unique, all individuals. We have to find a way not to identify with our condition and trust that our brain wants to heal, knows how to heal and is healing. It just takes longer than we want it to. (People say the exact same thing to me..I have things that aren't going away yet and I ask if they will ever go away!) For all the stories we find online where things have not healed, I bet there are loads and loads of people who have healed. They just don't post.

Take care and keep healing. I needed to hear my own message today too!!!

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

• 1 month later...

I'm 21 months off now... PSSD and anhedonia still getting worse and worse over time... so apathetic its like i dont even mind it getting worse and everything being pointless. I just want things to get better, its gotten so bad. all i can hope for now is that healthy lifestyle changes can help support my recovery... any encouragement would be amazing right now but i just haven't seen many cases still progressively getting worse this far out, and recovered..... not of pssd/anhedonia anyway. its just not even a surprise anymore... things have been getting worse ever since it started... just slowly worsening... i wonder why.  

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chemisty,

I'm sorry you haven't seen any improvement yet, recovery can take a long time for some people, but you are young and will recover.  The fact that you seem to have accepted these symptoms, even though you call it apathy, may be a positive sign.  Acceptance reduces stress and this aids recovery.

Focusing on healthy lifestyle changes is a good idea, perhaps even try and forget why you are making the changes and enjoy them for their own experience.  Spend time doing things you are able to do, rather than thinking about what you can't do yet.  You will get through this in time and one day it will be a distant bad memory.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I'm 21 months off now... PSSD and anhedonia still getting worse and worse over time... so apathetic its like i dont even mind it getting worse and everything being pointless. I just want things to get better, its gotten so bad. all i can hope for now is that healthy lifestyle changes can help support my recovery... any encouragement would be amazing right now but i just haven't seen many cases still progressively getting worse this far out, and recovered..... not of pssd/anhedonia anyway. its just not even a surprise anymore... things have been getting worse ever since it started... just slowly worsening... i wonder why.  

I am tired and did not read your entire thread but I will.  Later. 

I got worse around 18 months and it stayed that way awhile I had some notes but I never look at them as I expected what I put online to stay there and it didn't.  I hate to dig in boxed hate it. 

Back to the getting worse for me it was one of the roughest things even tho I had read about withdrawal having windows and waves and I had read and new by then healing was not linear.  

It took me a long time to feel any improvement from cold turkey and long years of use.  I was feeling improvement after about a year not get up and dance but I could stand to be in my body.  At 18 months I got worse and it lasted a time I wish I could say how long but I don't know I just know it was longer than I wanted and tho I was trying to hold it off best I could I got to feeling extremely down about it.  It seemed I entered a phase of negativity around this point too just to top it all off.  It does improve and it sucks that it happens at all. 

Long ago when I posted this on a site I was not supported and had a bad experience around that post in general. However the private messages came fast and furious as others were feeling or had felt this too around the same timeline.  To the best of my recollection it got worse for a time a few months maybe then very very slowly improved.  It is not unheard of so please know this can and does happen. 

I took this really hard at the time as I was hoping to be done healing in two years three at the most... as that was the thing at that time that most people were done by then.  The closer I got to the 2 years the worse I felt as I was not going to be one of the 2 years and done people.  I know wonder if anyone is...maybe but it was not me. 

At the time I eventually just accepted this is how it was going to be for however long it was going to be this way... and I was going to have to smarten up and do the best I could to get thru it.  I focused on what I could do rather than what I couldn't.  I tried things that "would first cause no harm... drinking water... soaking in epson salts... walking.  

I am sorry for the off the cuff post especially with out saying hello first seems so rude... so Hello :) 

I just wanted you to know that sometimes this happens and it is not a sign you not going to heal.  

I am getting one of my famous for me headaches so I will go now and come back tomorrow and actually read your thread... sorry if it is disjointed. I was just in a hurry to tell you this setback does not mean you not healing and I will comment more on the bits and pieces tomorrow.  Withdrawal is a changing beast it switches things up all the time there is one person who said it was like a rubics cube and I love that analogy as I think it is perfect. This is the cube doing a major shift... I think our bodies/brains have to do it to heal us.. maybe once we have had a chance to evolve more we will shift a bit easier but for now this is it.  Just know your still healing even if it does not feel like it.

I wish you peace. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Thanks for the response Petu, good advice and i really hope you're right. I'm not sure i've fully accepted my symptoms, i just dont care that much unless i think about it you know? I feel i am stressed a lot of the times because i have that constant feeling of uncertainty. Will it get better? It might, it might not, and so the stress continues. I want it to get better, but its hard because i haven't had any improvements, instead i've gotten the opposite, so that makes the stress even worse because its like, if i had good windows, or improvements then i wouldn't be so uncertain about my recovery you know? And so i would feel less stressed out. 

Hi Btdt, thanks for the reply. It was actually pretty encouraging, what you said about worsening does not equal no recovery. I feel for me things have slowly gotten worse and worse for about a year now but maybe even longer its really hard to say because its up and down and i know my lifestyle change (staying in a lot, feeling stressed, etc) doesn't help with depresson, DP/DR and so the anhedonia gets a little bit affected. But its more within the past 6-7 months that it's really gotten worse, like new symptoms and stuff like that. The only improvements i've gotten are small ones, like hair not falling out as much, or sometimes i sleep better, things like that. But my sleep is definitely not back to even near normal, although i think i've had times where it was worse and times where it was better, i just find  recalling dreams (or anything for that matter) very difficult, another symptom that has worsened over time. 

I think i cold turkeyed too from polydrug use at the age of 16, i only tapered for about 2-3 weeks and i did it badly. the initial symptoms were pretty bad but were gone after a few weeks, i just never felt normal after that and then things slowly went down hill. 

I really appreciate your words and messaging me, its good to know maybe all this worsening might just be part of the whole process of healing, that would be very good. However, i do know that my lifestyle is playing a part and i feel i need to improve that a lot so i can support my recovery. I just really want this to get better... i need a sign that it will. 

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

I am going to say something here you may not agree with now but maybe you will later at least it will be said as I feel I need to be upfront with you or anyone on here otherwise why bother. 

I think for myself and maybe for others too... if we get worse around the 18 month mark maybe it is just this catagory maybe not I don't know... but with this down turn I had at this time I became super negative... I could not recall things properly... everything was doom and gloom and it is not exagerating to call it that... while I was in this grim stated even my recovery up to that point was in question.  Thankfully I had some journals hand written where I could read back to worse times and see an improvement though it was little.. it was real.. 

BUT when I did the nose dive at 18 months nothing was uplifting I could not recall anything positive not even in memory... it was the strangest thing.  I am going to suggest to you now that this is part of the brain ... that happens.  

It is negativity and fatigue and nothing looks like it ever had a ray of sun on it... I think this is withdrawal induced a part of healing some of us have.  The Grim months there is another person on here who I think is in this state ...when in it we find it hard to find anything good past or present...

Just a suggestion something to think about as it does end in time but when I was in it.. I could not see around it and it was all but impossible for anyone to get in to me... as I had some negativity wall... or something. 

Something to think about

peace

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

• Administrator

I have not seen any evidence that there is a general 6-month mark or 18-month mark or anything mark. People heal at their own rates.

Bad spells in healing can be due to a lot of things: An increase in stress level, another health issue, lack of exercise, a change in season, even a diet issue. Our nervous systems and bodies change over time and need different things.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I know others don't agree that is ok with me. 

I have one more thought on this line.  Long ago I learned about the circadian rhythm... look it up if you don't know.  

When thinking about set rhythms within the human body it dawned on me perhaps there were more like rhythms we did not know of yet and perhaps this healing timeline was tapping into one or more of these set rhythms.  All speculation I know but possible.  

Had a car accident in 85

• 2 weeks later...

I just dont know what to blame it on, my new PSSD symptoms (shrinkage, numbess, low libido) that appeared sometime after 1 year off. I feel like ill never be able to have kids, know what sex feels like, or eventually have no interest in it. I think i must be infertile at this point. Guys my symptoms just simply get worse and then worse again etc over days, weeks and months. Its been doing this for over a year now. What do i blame it on? I try to do exercise, now im eating really well etc but it just doesnt seem to help. What am i doing wrong? Why is it that people around me seem to be improving (or not getting better or worse)... Its one thing to see no improvements but another to only see worsening. I fear the worse things get the less likely i will be able to recover. Going on 22 months soon. I cant believe im actually suffering like this now. I wish my symptoms would have just stayed the way they were 1 month off. At least then i would have been able to have sex and have some emotion, now i am just unable. I feel so out of hope yet so numb.

Im really sorry for sounding so depressed im not usually like this and i know im probably just repeating myself at this point, i just dont know what i should do. I feel like sitting around waiting to heal isnt working but i dont want to take supplements or meds, i just wish i would recover and move on with my life. Im too young to be going through all of this.

End rant.

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

I feel the same way. Im 2 years off and still feels like things are getting worse. We must just keep the faith somehow. I too wish i had the same symptoms at 1 month off

Will be doing my 2 year update shortly

• 5 months later...
  • Administrator

How are you doing now, Chemistry?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hey Alto, thanks for checking in and i'm sorry i haven't been posting at all for a long while. I guess there just hasnt been much to report honestly. I've been corresponding with other members from this forum privately and just trying to work through these symptoms and living with them. I'm about 27 months out now i think, haven't touched any drugs at all only tried a few basic supplements on and off... i'm still quite sensitive to everything. 

The symptoms that i feel quite embarrassed about are still present, some are still worsening and its still very disturbing. The only thing i have control over is my lifestyle, and how i take care of myself. I have been eating a lot better, and changing my habits but it is so difficult when you have anhedonia/low motivation/apathy/etc. You just want to sit in and just do whatever unhealthy thing that'll maybe give you some momentary "pleasure" or distract you. I get really irritated and stressed out by other people, especially with little things and often times i feel no urge to want to socialize which is quite unlike me. I do anyway though and i do try to live as normally as possible. I go to school (when i can) and i want to start working so i can make some money. Its stressful, but what can i do. I've had to accept my horrible situation and that's all i can do. At this point i find it very hard to believe that i'll ever go back to near normal, even though i understand this might still be possible and others have recovered. It just seems to hard to imagine since it's been so long since i've been normal. its like a distant memory and what i am now is my new normal and i'm just waiting for when things will be better. I think things will eventually get better. I'm young enough that i have a lot of time to try to get better so all hope isn't lost. But I am still trying, I dont want to allow myself to rot in my basement into a deep depression, I believe if i treat my body right, and give it what i needs to recover that maybe, just maybe i will improve to a point where i can live a fulfilling and satisfactory life. That's pretty much all i'm looking for. In other words, if my emotional anesthesia and even pssd went away (at least 50-60%) i'd easily be able to cope with my other terrible symptoms but for now i'm waiting things out and keeping myself as cleansed and healthy as possible. 

Sorry for the ramble lol. Thanks for asking Alto.

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

• Administrator

I'm sorry you haven't seen more improvement, Chemistry. Please hang in there and let us know how you're doing.

Chemistry, I just read this thread and I feel for you.

I'm one year out from PSSD from years of Celexa use. 

What resonated with me was your honest acceptance of your situation. 

Mid 2006-Early 2013  Celexa 40 MG, Xanax .50, Trazadone 50 MG - No problems with side effects

Very fast-few weeks taper in Early 2013 off all medication.

Crashed summer 2013 Went back on all meds same dosage (different brand of Celexa) Sept 2013. 

Sexual Side Effects (which I never had before) begun December 2013.  Off Celexa February 2014.  Xanax remained while Trazadone done in August 2014.

Continue to experience complete PSSD to this day with sadly no signs of improvement yet.

Hey BlueLeader, 

I was hoping that my own acceptance would help someone else. Sometimes the mindset and reactions people have with their pssd can be scarier and more stressful than the pssd itself. I know that sounds ridiculous, but honestly the times that i've felt the worst psychologically were the times when i would read and read about everyone's suffering. And the thing about PSSD and anhedonia is, people just accept that there is no way to accept it and so everyone feeds off each others misery... and when you read that stuff you just look at it and think "I'm never going to be okay again" lol you know? I can see why people are like this though, how can you live without sex or emotions or pleasure, etc... I understand that part... I just came to a different perspective that i've never had before and even with that, i still haven't totally accepted everything, but doing things to improve my health and being proactive helps me cope with it all and I just try to focus on the things i can control. Not to mention i still think our bodies are capable of amazing things, even if it takes 10-20 years... Not saying it will but hey, since im young i'd only be 38 in 20 years still plenty of time. Believing in the back of your mind that sometime in the future, things simply will get better if you do everything you can to ensure it (healthy living) helps me the most. But yeah i've accepted that this is how i am for now, what else can i do? 

But yeah anyway Celexa is awful. anyone i know who has been on it had bad reactions with it and thankfully they all got better normally. We're taking a lot longer unfortunately but hey at one year out there still so much hope. In the meantime I would recommend not doing nothing and just trying to do whatever you can to feel as good as possible but naturally. I'd start with eating right and stop doing anything that's really unhealthy.. It'll make you feel a bit better  hopefully and that'll give you the sense of progress being made. 

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

I must say though, If i didn't have the apathy, anhedonia, etc I wouldn't be able to accept this as easily lol... Sounds horrible... It's not that i dont care when i really think about it, its like i just dont have the capacity too right now... So i don't.. and that saves me a lot of energy and stress. I still have so many days and nights where i freak out and can't handle it all and think why me? But i know this is just a trick, just withdrawal messing with me and i go to sleep, wake up and my mindset is better and i can continue to cope. This is just me of course... But its good to recognize when its really just neuro-emotions.

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

I must say though, If i didn't have the apathy, anhedonia, etc I wouldn't be able to accept this as easily lol... Sounds horrible... It's not that i dont care when i really think about it, its like i just dont have the capacity too right now... So i don't.. and that saves me a lot of energy and stress. I still have so many days and nights where i freak out and can't handle it all and think why me? But i know this is just a trick, just withdrawal messing with me and i go to sleep, wake up and my mindset is better and i can continue to cope. This is just me of course... But its good to recognize when its really just neuro-emotions.

I completely get that and think it is one reason we are not rioting in the streets we can't we don't have what it takes the perfect crime is a book about it good title eh.  

I once called it too dense to know I was dense... 

how are you now?

Had a car accident in 85

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not doing too good honestly... Sorry guys, I hate to report constant negative news but i can't help it. The anhedonia, visual and a few other symptoms seem to have worsened... I'm listening to music now and i'm having a really hard time getting anything  from it... This is really rare especially because music is my passion and has been for almost 10 years now. I spend a lot of time on the computer in my basement... Although i do eat pretty well and keep stress levels low I dont feel i'm doing enough. I'm really stuck in my own mind, i can't seem to stop thinking so much and this doesn't help with the anhedonia because mindfulness tends to help it and i can't seem to be mindful... Its like im trapped inside of my own head. Like i might think about going for a walk but i'll come back inside and i'll kind of feel like it didn't even happen because I couldn't take it all in... Memory problems doesn't help either. 

What can i do on a day to day basis that will help? i'm very sensitive to everything but i feel doing nothing will not help my case. I need to give my body that head start it needs because if i dont, i feel i may be like this for a very, very long time. Perhaps indefinitely. I'm not talking pills here I just mean lifestyle changes. I'm too embarrassed to get out of the house by myself sometimes because i can't think straight and i'm very self conscious now because i'm so sick. I'm 28 months out now... I can't believe I still haven't seen any real improvements yet. 

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

• Moderator Emeritus
Like i might think about going for a walk but i'll come back inside and i'll kind of feel like it didn't even happen because I couldn't take it all in...

What can i do on a day to day basis that will help? i'm very sensitive to everything but i feel doing nothing will not help my case....

Have you tried any other kind of exercise besides walking?  I don't know if it would help, or may be too stimulating, but perhaps you could try something a little more intense at this stage and see how it effects you.  If anhedonia and PSSD are your remaining symptoms, maybe pushing yourself a little, might help, this is just a suggestion.

If you are able to walk, or do some other exercise, even if you don't remember clearly doing it, its still good for your body and will help with recovery.  Don't do anything which makes you feel worse though.

What supplements are you taking?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

I just got back from the urologist, i got blood tests done and my results were kind of shocking. I'd like to know some insight about this if any of you have any information concerning withdrawal and this particular problem.

Pretty much everything came back normal (T levels were good, maybe a bit low for my age though) but here's the thing. My prolactin was high (i'm a male). 

Prolactin 21.6 ug/L  -  reference : 2.0-12.0ug/L

I'm not sure how long its been this way or if it's getting any worse over time. Last year when i got my blood tests it was basically just T levels which are about the same now (although my Testosterone went from about 21 nmol/L to 19.2 nmol/L)

I've been referred to a endocrine doctor and the urologist ordered an MRI. I'm pretty freaked out honestly, especially because treatment for high prolactin is usually dopamine agonists. Also, finding out that high prolactin means low dopamine (apparently) this is scary as well... my anhedonia and stuff has definitely gotten worse and now i have the genital numbness that i haven't had before. i also dont want to have ED if this is left untreated because i'm afraid my T levels will eventually start to crash as well.

Anyway, Alto or anyone who has any knowledge about this please let me know what you think. I know i dont post often but this is my update. 

Thanks

2010 - citalopram 10mg 

• 9 months later...

Hi Chemistry!

I was wondering how you were doing? In your last post you mentioned tests. Did you manage to get anything from them?

Muddles

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

• 4 years later...

How are you doing @Chemistry?:)

Early September 2019 - One 25mg dose of Sertraline taken.

Early October 2019 - Five 25mg doses (pills) of Sertraline taken for five consecutive days.

Withdrawal/reaction happened on the 27th of October (2019) in the evening.

Symptoms that have gone: Joint and muscle pain/weakness in my legs, phantom senses, chemical dread, chemical fear, DP/DR has gotten a lot lot better than what it is now, it was one of my worst and all-encompassing symptoms when it started, awful aphasia, parkinsonism, head pressure, pressure in my frontal lobe when trying to think/work out something, inability to plan or execute anything//feelings of being literally scatterbrained, inability to think in my head other than slight acknowledgements - the voice in my head sounded weak and 'small' like it was restrained to a much smaller area of my brain, constant fatigue, emotional numbness, constant eyestrain, and changes in perception of colour/contrast in sight.

Main remaining symptoms: Visual Snow/HPPD, derealisation, tinnitus, and brain/cog fog.

Drug free.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @Chemistry, how are you doing?

• ChessieCat changed the title to Chemistry: looking for hope
  • Administrator

Hello, @Chemistry how are you doing?