btdt

new site: Council for Evidence-based Psychiatry

btdt

Can be found here

http://cepuk.org/

Welcome to the website of CEP, the Council for Evidence-based Psychiatry.

CEP exists to communicate the evidence of the damaging effects of psychiatric drugs and treatments in the UK to the people and institutions that can make a difference. This evidence shows that psychiatric drugs, portrayed as useful and effective by many areas of the medical profession, can cause considerable harm to many patients, particularly when taken long term. Our members include psychiatrists, academics, withdrawal support charities and others who are deeply concerned about the prevalence of the ‘medical model’ and the increasing numbers of potentially damaging prescriptions being given to both adults and children.

We believe that current practices would change if policymakers and medical practitioners became aware of both the latest research and of the extent of this harm. Starting with various Unrecognised Facts, we seek to provide three layers of evidence: the opinion of doctors, practitioners, and academics; the stories of those who have suffered harm as a consequence of their treatment; and lastly summaries of the latest research, where it exists.
Furthermore CEP intends to identify gaps in existing research, with a view to supporting new research into under-reported areas of psychiatric harm, as well as alternatives to the medical model.  The mission of CEP is therefore: 

To reduce psychiatric harm by communicating the latest evidence to policymakers and practitioners, by sharing the testimony of those who have been harmed, and by supporting research into areas where evidence is lacking

Rhiannon

Well that's kind of encouraging. Nice!

btdt

Yes I liked it too it looks serious and I hope they force the changes needed.

mammaP

And we get a mention too  :)  I've shared it on fb and got some likes  :)

UnfoldingSky

Excellent find bdtd, I've bookmarked it!

alex

Excellent site; I got Ballyssa's book RECOVERY and  RENEWAL, a very inspiring and encouraging book.

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Much harder to find solutions and change the status quo I think. Did you read the link? It is our stories of struggles that are under-reported. The research is already started. Getting the doctors out from under the one-sided views of the drug companies will be very hard indeed. They are the main resource for the docs and they appear to have a vested interest in profits, not health. Sites like this are helping but the docs usually dismiss them because they are internet based. Even my friends dismiss them as not valid.

btdt

Much harder to find solutions and change the status quo I think. Did you read the link? It is our stories of struggles that are under-reported. The research is already started. Getting the doctors out from under the one-sided views of the drug companies will be very hard indeed. They are the main resource for the docs and they appear to have a vested interest in profits, not health. Sites like this are helping but the docs usually dismiss them because they are internet based. Even my friends dismiss them as not valid.

I suggest you read the ideas for changing the system in the back of Grace E Jackson's book Drug Induced Dementia the perfect crime she has given a lot of thought and seen this problem from the other side.  Look her up. 

She dedicates this book to 

Jim Gottstein, Esq.

founder of the Law Project for Psychiatric Rights 

tireless opponent of the Pharmacaust 

not sure what that last word means but I have copied it as it was printed... 

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Btdt,

My comment was to show that for a lot of things in life it is the change that is harder and without seeing the need for change that prescribing drugs for things such as depression (because it seems they don't really work for many in the long run and are devastating when they are stopped) won't get much research.

'Pharmacaust', I think, is likening it to the horrors of the Holocaust.

btdt

Btdt,

My comment was to show that for a lot of things in life it is the change that is harder and without seeing the need for change that prescribing drugs for things such as depression (because it seems they don't really work for many in the long run and are devastating when they are stopped) won't get much research.

'Pharmacaust', I think, is likening it to the horrors of the Holocaust.

Yes I expect any system would be hard to change especially one so entrenched with the need to be trusted ... so many stories of doubt cast on these drugs already maybe it is just time and the change will come because too much is known now...we may be getting close it is hard to judge from where I sit with the little I know about how to change it... Grace E Jackson has already thought about this a lot by the looks of her suggestions in her book.. I so wish I was of sound mind just now I can't seem to read it .. and I wanted it for such a long long time... it is sad. 

As far as research she talks a lot about research in the book tho I have not read it from cover to cover and then read it again as I would normally do making notes... i have flipped thru the pages and she presents a ton of research autopsies on human brains ... mice studies ect tons of it.. getting it into my head in another thing... I am not doing this sort of thing well at the moment... it will have to wait till I can. 

There is the study where they are asking for input from people who have taken the drugs... righthere

http://cepuk.org/2014/04/02/survey-cep-needs-contribution-bma-review-prescribed-drugs/ :  

that is a start....

Any time I see a research project I always say what my experience was just so I feel like I am doing something how much good will it do .. it has to be better than doing nothing... but I don't know what to expect ..I actually have no expectations at all that way I won't be disappointed.