Logia: Introduction

Logia

Hello my names Ben I'm 19, I'm from the UK and have a diagnosis of TLE (Temporal Lobe Epilepsy) and Bipolar 2 Disorder. In the past I have taken Depakote which I took once and never again as the side effects for me were terrible, now I'm on lamictal which I started last Monday at 25mg. I have taken lamictal before when I was younger to control my TLE seizure activity but recently been prescribed it for my Bipolar Disorder. Over the past few days on the lamictal I have felt very bad and having uncomfortable symptoms such as headaches, nausea, lethargy, fatigue, blurred vision, irritability and the list goes on. I seem to be very sensitive to many medication, I hate even taking painkillers as they give me side effects. So because of this I decided I would remove myself from the lamictal as I hadn't been on it long nor was it a large dosage but that was a big mistake! I didn't realise that such a small dose for a short period could do what it did to me, but I have spoke to an administrator and have got advice on what to do to get off lamictal safely. I truly feel sorry for anyone that has been on any medication are trying to wean off them! It was horrible for me I couldn't imagine what it's like for someone who's been taking them for years :( Anyway I think i will stick around on this forum and post if I need any advice, even though I'm not in a bad place with meds, if things go badly, I've discovered reading online doctors choices are very bad in the withdrawal side of medication so I hope everyone knowledge on this forum will be better than any doctors in this criteria. Thanks for you're time. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

hello and welcome!

If you allow me to say: what smart young people we have here :)

you can share it with knowledgeable people here about your tapering plan with Lamictal just to double check if it was indeed safe (especially if you experience a hiccup).

I hope things go well but you'll find this forum very supportive if needed :)

best,

bubble 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Logia, and welcome to the forum.  Here is our topic on getting off of Lamictal:  Tips for Tapering Off Lamictal .  I hope this matches up very closely with what your doctor told you to do.  What sort of tapering plan has he or she recommended?

Please don't be surprised or disappointed if your doctor has recommended a plan that may be really uncomfortable for you.  Most doctors, including psychiatrists, have been deceived by drug companies and either don't recognize psychiatric drug withdrawal symptoms or believe that they only last a few weeks. That is why this forum not only exists but is growing by leaps and bounds.

I'm glad you found us.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Welcome. Logia.

I suggested that since Logia has been on Lamictal for such a short time, he might reduce by 1/4 of a tablet over a couple of weeks.

Logia, how is your epilepsy controlled?

How do you know you have bipolar II? This is a disorder that's very much overdiagnosed. Some doctors don't think it even exists, see http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/matter-personality/201204/how-recognize-bad-psychiatrist

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hey Jemina I have yet not been appointed a plan but I have a care worker coming round tomorrow that has information from my psychiatrist on how to safely be removed from the medication. I have read up about the miss understanding of withdrawal symptoms from doctors so I didn't bother asking. Thank you for making me feel welcome :)

Hey Altostrata, yes I will try that method and see if it works. I uses to take lamictal when I was younger and I haven't had a seizure since, wether the TLE is still effecting my brain activity I don't know. My Bipolar was diagnosed last year when I was sent to the CMHT for my symptoms I wrote down on paper a full report of my symptoms and they got back to me 1 month later saying I have bipolar 2 and depersonalisation disorder I don't really believe it's real either but i don't really question it, I don't know what else to do. Thanks for the information Alto! :)

Hey Bubble thanks for the reply :) I will share my plan and results but I doubt many people would have taken the meds for such a short period as I have but It's worth it just incase! Thanks bubble, I'm sure I will everyone seems very friendly and supportive. Thank you for you're time! :)

• Administrator

Logia, what are the symptoms you had that led to a diagnosis of bipolar II?

Try this: Many people do well with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Both of these supplements make up for something missing in the modern diet.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Logia!

I'm glad you've joined us and plan to stay a while. You're right, this is a very friendly forum. Alto, others as well, are very knowledgeable about the proper way to discontinue meds.

There is a wealth of information on SA! :)

Alto, my main symptoms are just periods of depression and periods were I feel very good not like manic but just like feeling happy, full of energy and have excitement all the time. These seem to alternate within a few days to a week. I get spells of anger fits which come along with irritability, I feel very sensitive to things my body is in contact with while in this state and that's what mainly gets me angry. The interesting thing though when I was a child I used to have sleep based seizures and the sensitive touch symptom I get now is the same feeling I got in my dreams which was a sharp feeling on my head presumably because my head was on the pillow, which is the same feeling that set of my seizures! I also have paranoia and anxiety and I'm not sure what this symptom is, but its the worst one, I constantly feel like I'm in a dream the way everything looks it's hard to take in, that's the only symptom I can't deal with the rest are fine. I've been told it's "depersonalisation" which can't be cured. Very nice of them to diagnose me with two illnesses that are virtually impossible to cure... I tried to get a victim in B12 test as it helps with the nervous system but no matter how many times I asked they said no which is kinda strange, it's almost as if there hiding something from me! Anyway they seem to be the only stand still symptoms, other symptoms seem to come and go. It all started when I was 17 I had a 7 month deep depressive episode and ever since then I have found it hard to get back to normal no matter how much I tried, I guess it's due to the way I treated my body throughout them 7 months, I hardly ate anything, I didn't go out side and I didn't even see daylight for 2 weeks straight. My problems now are probably just recovery from the abuse I gave my body but I think your right alto I could be lacking nutrients and I will defiantly give them a go if not a whole cocktail of supplements I probably need them. I am also suspicious about my eyes having chronic eye strain as I use electrics 5 hours + a day, which could be the cause of my dream like vision, it's just a guess but I will be definitely be booking a appointment at the opticians soon. Ok that's enough for that reply I have seemed to of blabbed on a bit, thanks Alto for that information!

Thank you Tezza, I'm glad I joined as well! Not only did I get information on what I originally searched for but I'm getting links to information that could help me without meds which is brilliant! I hope to take in this information and in the future maybe help someone else that is in my position! I much agree with you Tezza, thanks for the reply!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Logia, glad you found us. Don't worry about us not being able to raed your posts easily, you are doing fine.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Actually, your use of electronics could be contributing a great deal to your symptoms.

Let's say you might have a sensitive nervous system dating back to the epilepsy. It's not quite as sensitive now, but bright lights can be irritating.

You might want to try using amber glasses at least part of the time that you're looking at a bright electronic screen. See these and other topics in the Symptoms and Self-care forum:
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/304-light-sensitive-try-blocking-out-blue-light/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/397-tv-or-computer-use-in-evening-can-disrupt-sleep/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2519-computer-program-adjusts-blue-light-to-time-of-day/

Many people do well with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

As for B12, you might just try a sliver of a sublingual and see if it helps you. Also take methylfolate, a type of folate. See the topics in the Symptoms forum.

You are still very young and experiencing hormonal tides, which can account for your ups and downs. You might also be a sensitive, emotional person. You might keep a journal and see what happens on the days you're feeling up and what happens on the days you feel down or angry. Could be you're reacting to something in a normal emotional way, and you need to arrange your life so it's more peaceful.

Thanks mammaP :)

Alto, I'm not sure but I don't think my epilepsy was light related as the seizures were only sleep based, but I'm not sure if that still means I could be. I will check out them links for sure! Yes I have tried writing things down there was a reaction I was having to one peticular thing but it's very hard to keep away from that person but I think if I could it would help a lot, along side fixing the basic functions like eating and sleeping. Good new also yesterday I dropped down a quater of a tablet and was successful with no effects! I plan to go down another 1/4 Thursday, hopefully it won't be too fast. Thanks for your posts guys :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone this topic is about something I was informed about at the doctors yesterday and I'm wanting a second opinion wether to go ahead with what he has said.

I'm diagnosed with Bipolar disorder II, Depersonalisation and Temporal lobe Epilepsy.

My doctor said to me yesterday that the Psychiatrist I have is wrong and unprofessional, I do not have Bipolar disorder nor do I have depersonalisation but it is my Temoral lobe Epilepsy causing my problems and it is the Psychistrist failed to read through my old medical notes that has led to me being labeled with these disorders.

I was diagnosed with TLE when I was young and it was treated with Lamotrigine and all seizures stopped after a few years of being on this, as well as my concentration and many other problems that came with TLE getting better with it. I do not remember what it's like to have TLE as it was 9 years a go since it stopped, but over the past three years I have been having lots of trouble with many symptoms that have taken me to the diagnosis of both Bipolar and depersonalisation.

Anyway at the doctors I was told to be having smaller seizures called absence seizures. These apparently are causing me to feel dissociative to my surroundings as well as memory, concentration, mood and all my other problems, I have read up on absence seizure and what he's saying has appeared to be true. He has told me that if I was to retake the Lamotrigine 95% of my problems are likely to be cured and I will feel a lot better.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks I should go back on the tablets and what he's saying is true. I'm very cautious of lamictal because I know it is hard to get off once you're on it but does anyone think I should and it will be worth it?

Thanks for your time,

Logia

• Moderator Emeritus

Logia, I don't think this forum is the place to get the answers you're looking for. We're a support forum for people in withdrawal from psychiatric meds or trying to taper off of them.

We don't have any expertise about epilepsy and seizures and appropriate treatment for those.

Many of us do have some personal experience with being wrongly diagnosed with psychiatric "diseases" like you have been, but that's not really what you're asking, and all we could do is share our own experiences with you. I think it's great that you have a doctor who has recognized what happened to you and that you were misdiagnosed.

I certainly don't feel that I can give you any kind of advice about your situation.

There may be some epilepsy-related forums online that could be more helpful for you. There might also be some in-person support groups in your area.

I wish you the best of luck in getting the help you need and getting your symptoms under control!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Logia, I combined your topics.

I can't advise you about treating epilepsy, but I'm glad you have a doctor with the good sense to suspect the medical condition may be causing so-called "psychiatric" symptoms.

Lamotrigine originally was intended to treat epilepsy. It comes in a very low dose, 5mg. If I were you, I would discuss with my doctor trying this very low dose first. Give it several weeks. If the low dose works, fine, you have less drugs on board. You can increase by steps of 5mg if you need to.

Taken over a while, lamotrigine requires tapering. But if it controls your epilepsy, I would think the lowest effective dose is appropriate for long-term treatment. It is a relatively benign drug at low doses.