Crisis Intervention Team Training: psych survivors train sheriff deputies http://wp.me/p5nnb-aDr

GiaK

this is a bit off-topic for this particular board, but I know some of you will be interested in this AND I wanted to share it because I was able to attend and participate in this meeting...it was the first time in many years I did something work related outside of my home. Wanted to celebrate with folks here who know what it's like. I'm so ready to get back out there...my body is still working on letting be something I can count on...in any case this was an encouraging and lovely meeting I took part in.

Mad Rad Crisis Intervention Team Training: psych survivors train sheriff deputies

"Earlier this week, nine members of the Asheville Radical Mental Health Collective met with six deputies from the Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office, one of them a dispatcher, a telecommunicator.

Dressed in plainclothes, the deputies came into the coffee shop shaking hands, with a flurry of Southern manners and introductions, hands being shaken, small talk exchanged.

Couches had been moved and chairs set out, with a fan of handouts spread onto one of the seats, full of writings on radical mental health, trauma informed care, mutual aid, and listening spaces. Six deputies from Buncombe County, North Carolina recently received Icarus Project postcards.

The Asheville Radical Mental Health Collective was invited to participate in the Sheriff’s Crisis Intervention Team training as a “community site visit” by the coordinator of the training..."

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Congratulations!! You have so much to offer- you're just getting started  :D !!

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

thanks! 

for those interested in this sort of thing I did a companion piece of sorts to the piece Faith Rhyne wrote yesterday...

De-escalating folks when psychotic and potentially violent

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

That's brilliant to hear :)

Congratulations to you Gia, I 'm so glad you were able to go. It sounds like such valuable work.

I read your blog and have learnt loads from it, you have so much to give.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Really awesome, way to go!

Is the area you live very progressive?  I can't even imagine something like this happening where I live.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

oh, this sort of thing started in Texas...and no, I'm in North Carolina...one of the most conservative states in the country...the town I live in has a lot of radicals, but the population in general remains extremely conservative...I'm from the bay area CA...it's another world here, even though the town I live in is rather delightful in many ways...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy