Awake: Going off trazodone, Effexor

Awake

as i'm weaning off of trazodone & am on a VERY low dose now. if i go lower than 1/4 of a 50 mg tablet  i have complete insomnia (i was prescribed this to HELP me sleep). on 1/4 of a 50 mg tablet; i am able to sleep for about 6 hours, but am not falling asleep until the wee hours of the morning & this is emotionally & physically exhausting.

i know a lot of techniques to help me sleep. it seems like the drug simply causes insomnia on the lower dose & possibly won't let up w/ this until it's entirely out of my system.

any of your experiences w/ insomnia when weaning off of meds is helpful. i'd like to feel connected and hopeful / inspired as i finish this process.

I've taken SSRIs & SNRIs for approx 20 years.

Have taken CLONAZEPAM for about 15 years.

Since the end of January 2014 I began weaning off of TRAZODONE.

I no longer take TRAZODONE.

In the fall of 2013 I began slowly, slowly tapering from 350 mg of effexor (about 50 mg over the period of 3 months). At this point I began feeling suicidal, highly anxious & unable to cope / function & went BACK on the full 350 mg dose.

In the beg. of April 2014 I took my last dose of 350mg EFFEXOR before going cold turkey.

I crashed about a month later (highly suicidal & excruciating anxiety) & slowly re-instated so I am back up to 150 mg since the beg. of May 2014.

I now take 2x.5mg or Clonazepam ev. day.

I take an Herbal Sleep Tincture, a Digestive Herbal Tincture, Magnesium Citrate, Omega Oils, Acidopholis, Vitamin B complex, Vitamin C, Colloidal Silver, Diatomaceous Earth, Zinc, Rhodiola, Ferritin...this fluxes slightly from month to month.

God morning Awake,

Unfortunately insomnia is a rebound symptom when we taper off these drugs. I'm struggling with insomnia and read or somehow keep busy all night when sleep totally evades me. It's frustrating to deal with. This forum is very supportive and a moderator will be by soon to give you more info.

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

Thank you.

How long did it take you to wean off of the trazodone? I have done a very fast tapering from about 200 - 12.5 mg in 2 months :D I'm having a nasty time at the end here though :((

In the fall of 2013 I began slowly, slowly tapering from 350 mg of effexor (about 50 mg over the period of 3 months). At this point I began feeling suicidal, highly anxious & unable to cope / function & went BACK on the full 350 mg dose.

In the beg. of April 2014 I took my last dose of 350mg EFFEXOR before going cold turkey.

I crashed about a month later (highly suicidal & excruciating anxiety) & slowly re-instated so I am back up to 150 mg since the beg. of May 2014.

I take an Herbal Sleep Tincture, a Digestive Herbal Tincture, Magnesium Citrate, Omega Oils, Acidopholis, Vitamin B complex, Vitamin C, Colloidal Silver, Diatomaceous Earth, Zinc, Rhodiola, Ferritin...this fluxes slightly from month to month.

• Administrator

Welcome, Awake.

It sounds like you have rebound insomnia from tapering trazodone.

See this topic for tapering tips http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2883-tips-for-tapering-off-trazodone-desyrel/

Are you using a liquid to taper?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Dear Awake,

The best thing I ever did for my insomnia when weaning off Wellbutrin... was a plain old fashioned Epsom Salts bath ...

There's strong science behind why it works... but all I cared about is that it DOES work!

Use a cupful of Epsom Salts (Morton's even makes a eucalyptus scented )

and a few handfuls of baking soda...

warm bath for at least 20 minutes...

climb into bed and enjoy the peaceful heaviness the magnesium has created in your body ...

Good Luck,

Findingme

'

Since approximately 1992

have been on and off Paxil , Prozac(had a horrible reaction), Lorazepam , Celexa, Lexapro, Risperdal ( which was supposed to "kick start" the Lexapro) , and Wellbutrin...

By 2013, I was only on Wellbutrin and generic Lexapro ( 20mg)

I weaned successfully off the Wellbutrin, but by the time I was down to 10mg Lexapro, I suffered panic attacks on bridges, and creeping depression ,

July 2014, reinstated 20 mg generic Lexapro

finding me, i don't live in a home with a tub right now. thanks for the sharing though :)

altostrata, i'm not using a liquid at the moment & thx for the link. i will read it. 

• Administrator

Epsom salts baths are a way of getting magnesium into your body (plus the relaxation of a hot bath).

Many people do well with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Magnesium oil is another way to get magnesium through the skin.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

I am having these symptoms since I stopped taking Effexor:

~ loose stools

~ gripping, "base less" anxiety

~ weepy

~ some dizziness & nausea

~ headaches

I 've read other ppl's posts here & this seems to be par for the course / normal.

It's still REALLY challenging to have so many things upset in my life / body at once!

On top of the weaning process; I've had a romantic loss.

This seems to be exacerbating my sadness & possibly the frequency of my anxiety.

The hardest to handle right now is: the gripping anxiety / fear.

I am taking clonazepam, doing lots of calming & stress-relieving practices too.

I am into hearing other people's SPECIFIC experiences with weaning off this drug.

Support Welcome too!!!!!

:)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Awake, and welcome to the forum. How much Effexor were you taking and how did you go off of it?

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Awake and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for putting your signature. What would help us to give you more advice is if you could add dosages of your meds, especially those most recent once.

It seems you started reducing Trazodone at the end of January. What dose where you on then and by how much did you reduce it?

If I understand it right, you seem to have stopped taking two drugs at the same time which can make things very hard. The same things go for Effexor: what was your initial dose, how long were you on and by how much were you reducing it_

The symptoms you experience are the typical symptoms of withdrawal. (And unfortunately they only get worse with the passage of time. Even those people tough t out, end up in what is called protracted withdrawal).

The only things that can help with withdrawal is reinstating of the drug/s. We will be able to advise you on what we consider the best course of action in your case after you have provided us with more information of the kind I indicated.

I'm very sorry you are also experiencing a romantic loss but as they say, misery likes company :(

However, you have come to a great place and things will get better.

( I see somebody was faster with me with probably the same questions :) That's how quickly support comes here when a person is in distress.

best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Welcome back, Awake. I merged your Intro topics. Now we have continuity regarding your history.

Why do things "only get worse over time" / protracted with drawl ?

It seems to me ~ logically ~ that things would get BETTER the more I get these poisons out of my system.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Awake, and welcome to the forum. How much Effexor were you taking and how did you go off of it?

Hi Awake, we need to know some more details about your Effexor history, it sounds like you are having withdrawal symptoms from coming off it too fast.  You may need to reinstate and start a slow taper, you have been on medication for a very long time and so your body/nervous system has become used to having these chemicals as part of their environment, so it will take time for readjustment.

Why do things "only get worse over time" / protracted with drawl ?

It seems to me ~ logically ~ that things would get BETTER the more I get these poisons out of my system.

Its not about getting the poisons out of the body, but about supporting the nervous system as it reverses changes which have occurred in the brain and body due to exposure to the poisons.

Here is a link to a thread with some information which will explain it:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/

Please read through the information and let us know more details about how you stopped taking Effexor.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Awake, what we see is if you don't get over antidepressant withdrawal symptoms in a few weeks, they're likely to persist for quite a while. Recovery is very gradual. You can help it by treating your nervous system very gently, it's had a big shock.

Okay. Thank you, both of you.

I was on 375 mg a day of EFFEXOR (and some form of ssri for about 20 years) and 3-4 weeks ago went off of it "cold turkey". I am very aware that this is NOT recc'd.

I made this decision after doing much research & because it is what felt RIGHT for ME.

The Trazodone (which I was taking for help falling and staying asleep) was tapered more slowly over 2 plus months (still quickly, I understand after taking it for about 15 years!!).

I am currently sleeping well overall. So that is GREAT.

I hear you both about that my nervous system is in a great shock (a double whammy from the Effexor AND the Trazodone ending) and needs time & support to re-learn how to re-wire myself properly.

I have been feeling scared about HOW despairing & anxious I have felt over the last 6 days.

I have a lot of different supports around me (counsellor, herbalist, dear friends, medical doctor, accupuncturist....etc) .... but, this is feeling intolerable.

I am calling my med. doctor this morning to make an appt. to re-instate a low dose of an ssri (hopefully one that is EASIER to wean off of -- as even when I was weaning off of the Effexor slowly at VERY gentle dose changes over MONTHS, I found it excruciating & cuz I've read it's one of the harder ones to wean off of).

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

oops i forgot to include Trazodone doses:

I was taking about (it varied) 150 mg / night for about 15 years.

Aside from taking clonazepam at a dose of 2 x 1 mg / day for about 15 yrs --- to recently almost completely weaning off of it, I have been taking Clonazepam again to help with the anxiety of withdrawl & it seemed to be the only thing that worked. But, even it's effectiveness reduces over time.

• Moderator Emeritus

I also thought that taking all sorts of supplements and being well supported by a whole team of medical experts will help me to pull through.

I lasted for 45 days AFTER which things went from worse to horrible. The only thing that helped was reinstatement. After that it took me months to feel sort of normal. 7 months after the reinstatement I feel a lot better but not as well as I did before I stopped my medication.

I'm not saying this to scare you but to give you more information on which to base your decision. 

I'm glad you are considering reinstatement because a lot of us think that once the poison is out of our bodies, we just have to tough it out. My experience was (as I said) that it only got worse. So I'm glad you came here sooner than me.

We can sort this out.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

If I were you, I would not reinstate trazodone. If you're sleeping, that's good enough.

Effexor, on the other hand -- please read these topics:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

Can you explain a little more about how a cold turkey plan felt right for you?

Altostrata ~ I am not re-instating the trazodone. I agree. If I am sleeping w/out it = I will stay off of it :)

I also don't feel comfortable or able to go into all the details of my "cold turkey" decision.

Bubble ~ Thanks for Your Story / Experience.

It helps to know what other people have been through.

It's still my final goal to get off of meds completely.... but, I am having to SLOW DOWN.

Yest., I went to my MD with a friend and got a 37.5 dose of the effexor & a 2 mg a day (this is temporarily this high. it's the only dosage that was giving me relief! we will be reducing this the following week.) dose of the clonazepam to 'pull me back from the edge' / build me back up to a safer place.

I also picked up L theanine & Magnesium (that I had run out of) yest. & started taking those again to mend my nervous system.

I am praying that all these things will help quickly to return me to a more balanced state.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for updating, its good to hear that you have reinstated, how are you feeling now?  Once your nervous system has stabilized again, which may take a few weeks, then you can begin a slow, safe taper.  Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

hi petu.

the anxiety is lower, but, the suicidal feelings are still here. 

GOD this is scary!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Keep in mind that you will need to taper slowly off the clonazepam. I wouldn't be bouncing around on doses of any psych med if I were in your shoes right now. Try to keep things steady.

Alto knows more than any doctor I know of about AD withdrawal and I would follow her recommendations closely if I were in your shoes. Reinstatement of a small dose, followed by time to stabilize, followed by a safe taper, is your best bet.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

You might not need to go all the way up to 37.5 mg of Effexor. In fact you may be sensitized now so that will actually be too stimulating. Usually people do best with reinstatement on a lower dose than they were taking before. The links Alto gave you should go into more detail about that.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please be aware that L-theanine is stimulating and can aggravate withdrawal symptoms.  I tried it for a few days some months ago and it made me feel even worse.  It took a few more days to get back to where I was before taking the L-theanine.

With the exception of fish oil and magnesium, most supplements do more harm than good in withdrawal, and there really is nothing that will speed up recovery. 

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

L-theanine should be taken only in daytime. Try a partial dose first in case, as Jemima says, it's bad for you.

• 2 months later...

Hi All.

I have spent the last 2 months re-balancing after re instating the effexor to a level of 150 mg. This is the lowest dose that I seem to be okay on for now.

I also just moved houses.

One week ago I skipped ONE DOSE of 150 mg to give my body a rest from all the horrible effects (sore liver, kidneys, feeling violent, steady headaches etc) that night when I got up to go pee in the night, I realized I felt suicidal. This is the only thing that is significant that I changed. It has been one week since then. Even though I went back to my normal dose the next day... I STILL FEEL SUICIDAL!! This seem absurd to me!!

Anyone have similar experience...

http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Take-Effexor/1063877

just found this.

very reassuring. i don't hear a lot about the suicidal feelings; but, heavy duty impact on many when they've skipped ONE dose.

i am going to stabilize and then (with the help of a natural doctor who specializes in helping people wean off of meds) wean very, very gently off of this. just so people know my over all plan.

• Moderator Emeritus
One week ago I skipped ONE DOSE of 150 mg to give my body a rest from all the horrible effects (sore liver, kidneys, feeling violent, steady headaches etc) that night when I got up to go pee in the night, I realized I felt suicidal. This is the only thing that is significant that I changed. It has been one week since then. Even though I went back to my normal dose the next day... I STILL FEEL SUICIDAL!! This seem absurd to me!!

Please don't do this again, effexor has a very short half life, its not surprising that you felt the effects so quickly.

3.a. Do not suddenly quit taking your drugs. Do not skip doses to taper. These big, fast changes are the opposite of providing stability for your nervous system. Skipping doses causes the amount of the drug in your bloodstream to go up and down. Do not do this for any psychiatric drug.

Read through our basic rules for tapering and stability  here:   3KIS

i am going to stabilize and then (with the help of a natural doctor who specializes in helping people wean off of meds) wean very, very gently off of this. just so people know my over all plan.

I'm happy to hear that you are going to stabilize and then taper slowly.  Have you found a doctor with experience of tapering people off antidepressants?  Very few doctors understand how to do this properly.  We recommend reducing by no more than 10% per month, this reduces the risk of experiencing withdrawal symptoms, like what you experienced after skipping one dose.  Please carefully read through our tips for safely tapering effexor here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

How are you feeling now?  Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing, this site is one of the best resources available for information about safely tapering off psychiatric drugs, there is a lot of help and support here.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Petu,

Glad to see you responded.

I'd never had much of a reaction in the past when I skipped / or forgot a dose & therefore had NO IDEA it could be so harmful.

I hear you.

I will not do this again.

I was in the 4th week of stabilizing from the missed dose & starting to feel more functional / stable.... then about 5 mornings ago ( I keep all my symptoms logged in the back of my diary) woke up feeling suicidal. I searched my brain for ANY of the reasons WHY I would be feeling this way. Nothing was changed in the dosage amount / with the med except for using TWO 75 mg to result in my 150 mg dosage because I ran out. I now have the 150mg single capsules again. My diet was less careful ( I have a very sensitive gut which can greatly impact my mental wellness) & I was having stress w/ work & money & I had felt lonely over a holiday wk.end (many of my "usual" people were not around. Today I woke up feeling the worst yet. Huge Cry & Meltdowns. Feeling HOPELESS & had left my body / disassociated. For the last few days I have been MUCH more gentle with what I am eating. Having worked today, visited  with my partner, spoken to a close friend & visited my old n.hood = I am feeling more grounded.

WOAH.

Now I have to wait to stabilize from THIS before I can gently introduce Prozac ( have you heard of the Prozac Bridge? It's supposed to be easier to taper off of Prozac than Effexor.), completely move onto the Prozac, stabilize & THEN wean off of THAT.

WHAT an incredibly scary, intense, challenging & WORTH IT process!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Awake,

Thankyou for the update and I'm glad you are feeling more grounded now, I know how frightening it can be when symptoms suddenly increase and you don't know why, it looks like you managed to figure out the cause, increased stress is not good for withdrawal.

Why are you thinking of switching to Prozac?  We usually recommend tapering from the drug you are already on, there is no guarantee that switching to Prozac will work and will be any easier to taper from, attempting the Prozac Bridge does work for some people, but for others, it makes their situation even worse.

Please carefully read through our Prozac Bridge guide here before deciding:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/?p=13616

Petu.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thanks, Petu. I'll read the link.

I've heard that the Prozac bridging can be more gentle than tapering straight off of Effexor (one of the hardest to taper off of), THAT is why I am choosing this. I want the gentlest and most effective path for my self. 

• 4 months later...

Hi Did your bridge using Prozac work?

2004 Sept paxil 

2005 July I quit Paxil(CT) Sept., acute WD/relapse then reinstated Paxil.  In 5 days felt better.

2006 March quit Paxil (CT) again then April acute WD/relapse reinstated Paxil.  In 5 days felt better.   

2010 Oct. I had the same episode above 

2011, I had a breast cancer (stage 1) and doctor changed Paxil to Effexor 37.5 mg.  (she said effexor works for hot flushes and it's better for me)

2012 in May, Effexor dose was increased to 75 mg because it wasn't working much for my hot flushes.  

2014 in May, I changed back to 37.5 mg.  Because of few of the side effects I did not like.

My breast cancer is now all cleared. 

2012-2014 I was quitting effexor every 3 months without knowing the harmful consequences. no WD until 2014 Aug. 

2014 2014 Aug 25 after 1.5 months of off Effexor, WD reinstated 75mg for 10 days and got adverse reaction then Finally found this forum 
2014 Sept 1 reduced the dose to 37.5 
2014 Sept 20 took antibiotics (amoxillin) for tooth implant which led me to terrible WDS again  
         Oct 13 started to taper;  took 4 beads out of 38.  had one great week and Oct 21, after flu shot, acute WD
 I realized each cap has a different number of beads.  Started to count 34 beads. Waves and Windows in 2 weeks interval.   
2014 Dec. 28 Started Prozac bridge with my psychiatrist's instruction.  Added Prozac 5mg
2015 Jan 07 started to taper Effexor 5 beads everyday  
2015 Jan 13 Effexpr 0 beads +Prozac 1.25 ml (5 mg) +Klonopin 0.25 mg at night: since tapering off Effexor, feeling great, much less tinnitus and tingling pain 
2015 Jan 22 increased Prozac to 10 mg due to the depression.
supplement: fish oil 2400 multi Vt. Jan 8 changed to EPA 1200 + DHA 600