Razzle

Herbal teas: Camomile, ginger, mint, etc. What helps you?

Barbarannamated

I drank some GingerAle last evening and had the worst "cortisol awakening" in a long time. I don't know if it's related or just coincidence. I did look up ginger and it is classified as a stimulant.

I'm over 3 years out from Pristiq and Vyvanse and have to get these awakenings under control.

Exie

I read that chamomile calms the central nervous system and it's not on the list of herbs that interfere with healing so I've been thinking of trying chamomile tea but now I come across this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2995283/

under the 5.13 Sleep aid/sedation part, it says Chamomile is widely regarded as a mild tranquilizer and sleep-inducer. Sedative effects may be due to the flavonoid, apigenin that binds to benzodiazepine receptors in the brain. Compounds other than apigenin, present in extracts of chamomile can also bind BDZ and GABA receptors in the brain and might be responsible for some sedative effect; however many of these compounds are as yet unidentified

What?? what does this mean? benzo receptors in the brain?? I know we're not supposed to take a drug or herb that touches our GABA, but what's benzo receptors in the brain?... and it says it can bind to GABA... I got hopeful about chamomile relaxing my cns and now I feel devastated... what other herbs are there that calms and heals our cns safely?

scot

I think chamomile is generally safe and can heal the CNS.

Another herb used for thousands of years without any side-effects reported and regarded as "panacea" for many illnesses,its mountain tea.

A study from German doctors showed that it reversed Alzheimer in two months of drinking.Also,as this article says,it combars anxiety without the side effects of other herbs.

https://prezi.com/mpqdef4v3xhj/its-a-fact-that-helps-with-alzheimer-according-to-new-studi/

"In experiments conducted on mice found that strengthened the antioxidant defenses of brain regions for those who consumed six weeks decoction of mountain tea . Furthermore , it appeared that combats and anxiety. He , i.e., anxiolytic action , even without the side effects usually observed in other anxiolytics we get from plant species.   "

Petunia

I drink camomile tea occasionally without any negative consequences. I'm not sure if it helps with recovery, but its pleasant with a little honey and lemon added, I just ordered some more.

Exie

I just realized and remember that antidepressants downregulate serotonin and not GABA, so you guys have no problem with chamomile affecting your GABA..

sorry for this topic, I simply forgot antidepressants dont affect GABA, because I'm also dealing with benzos on my GABA. I need to post about this on benzobuddies

Shep

I've been drinking Trader Joe's Wellrested Herbal Tea which has:

INGREDIENTS: Chamomile Flowers, Lemon Grass, Spearmint Leaves, Tilia Flowers, Peppermint Leaves, Passionflower Leaves, Blackberry Leaves, Orange Blossoms, Hawthorn Berries, and Rosebuds.

Just one cup in the evening, and I'm noticing I drift off to sleep easier AND last night I was able to go back to sleep and I slept almost 8 hours for the first time in a really, really long time.

I'm 10 months off all meds, so no drug interactions to worry about. 

GuillotineDream

I regularly drink turmeric, ginger tea for inflammation and digestion. For more detox action I grate a frozen organic lemon into the turmeric and ginger tea. If you can't find turmeric root I like Swanson brand organic turmeric tea that I order online from Swanson Vitamins. They often have good sales and the tea is cheap enough where I can use 2 bags at a time to get added benefit. I always add a pinch of black pepper to help the curcumin of the turmeric become more bioavailable and combine with a good fat source like full fat coconut milk. I also sweeten with some stevia but real honey is probably better

a99

Hello everyone .

Would teas like chamomile and anise be ok to take during withdrawal ?

Edited by KarenB
Merged similar topics

SquirrellyGirl

Hello a99, 

It just depends on the person, really, as to whether he or she becomes sensitized to such things in withdrawal  The only way to know is to try it, but on a very dialed down basis.  You might make a cup and try one sip and see how that sits with you.

SG

Terry4949

Has anyone tried any herbal tea with calming properties I do drink green tea not because it containes l- theanine but because I like it , a friend of mine who has come of her medication paxil after a quick taper over 3 months said she suffered with horrible symptoms but started drinking gotu kola tea and she found it very calming reduced her anxiety helped her sleep and took away a lot of her daily anguish I just wondered if anyone had any success with herbal teas as I know we can be really sensitive in withdrawals 

Windsor77

Is anyone aware of any interactions with ssri and spearmint?  I know this may sound simple, but taking physician prescribed peppermint oil is part of the reason my Lexapro went off the rails this time last year. 

I don’t want to cause any issue with my meds, but I am looking for a caffeine free alternative to coffee.

Any thoughts are appreciated. 

ChessieCat
2 hours ago, Windsor77 said:

Is anyone aware of any interactions with ssri and spearmint?  I know this may sound simple, but taking physician prescribed peppermint oil is part of the reason my Lexapro went off the rails this time last year. 

I don’t want to cause any issue with my meds, but I am looking for a caffeine free alternative to coffee.

Any thoughts are appreciated. 

There are many existing topics on SA.  Please use either the site search or google and add survivingantidepressants.org to your search term.  Thank you.

Your post has been moved here:  herb-teas-camomile-ginger-mint-etc

Caffeine free coffee is available in both instant and coffee beans.  I sometimes use a coffee substitute.  See:  wiki/Coffee_substitute

caffeine-in-coffee-or-tea-tolerance-issues

ChessieCat

Oat Straw is more than an herbal tea, it is a nootropic.  It's loaded up with stuff that could cause problems.

You may do well with it, you may not.

it contains a lot of amino acids, which may be helpful, but also a high concentration of B complex, which may not. 

Some people find B complex stimulating and can ramp up symptoms.

It may be better to stick with the basics like peppermint or ginger tea.  Herb Teas: Camomile, Ginger, Mint, etc