SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

tysons's son: on Zyprexa

tyson

Hi, All. My doctor is reduced 1mg from 5mg total dose of Risperidone. That's 20% reduction. I told him that might be too much. He is saying it's fine. Also he wants us to add half mg. to the night dose of cogenten. It seems a little confusing to me. Should we fellow what he says or fellow this site recommendation of 10% reduction or less. Any Advice?

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

put my intro. and then that might help.

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

things are getting tough. no nutrition guide or supplements. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tyson

• Altostrata

• nz11

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

The Cogentin is supposed to keep your son from developing a movement disorder. That's the twitching or spasms, and a very serious side effect. I don't know how well Cogentin works.

tyson, I don't know anything about treating psychotic symptoms with psychiatric drugs. If your son cannot speak for himself, you and the doctor will have to observe him to see if the big change in risperidone has caused any symptoms.

At least this psychiatrist is willing to start low with dosage. You need to work with this doctor to minimize drug changes and drug burden. Perhaps you can emphasize to this doctor that you believe your son's history of going on and off drugs has caused him distress, and you want changes to be made gradually, and always towards the lowest effective dosage.

Sadly, I don't think we can be of much help to you here. Here are some places where you might find other parents of those with psychotic symptoms:

A forum site similar to this one. The administrator seems to be serious and dedicated.https://family.schizophrenia.com/

A blog by a schizophrenic person with advice to families http://www.aschizophrenicandadog.com/schizophrenia/help-for-parents-caregivers-and-families-of-schizophrenic/

A Facebook group for parents of schizophrenics https://www.facebook.com/Parents-of-Schizophrenics-1376170699340118/

An article by a psychologist http://brainblogger.com/2014/06/25/the-family-of-schizophrenia/

Another article by a psychologist https://psychcentral.com/lib/helpful-hints-about-schizophrenia-for-family-members-and-others/

Please read all of these and join the groups for conversations that will be more helpful to you.

Also, phone your local hospitals and ask if they know of any support groups for caretakers of schizophrenics. There may a local group of people with whom you can meet. As parents, you might also see a family therapist who can help you understand your son and support you as well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

This is the reason you should have looked at the hearing Voices Neteork link.  They have a forum, and one area on the forum is JUST FOR CARETAKERS of people who hear voices.  Please click on this link:

http://www.hearingvoicesusa.org/forum/family-friends

It sounds like YOU are more disturbed about the voices than Tyson is.  The best thing you can do is educate YOURSELF on this,  Tyson is USED to the voices, do not get confused with him being disturbed by them and YOU being afraid of them.  Please read the forum above, and you can change the language you read the forum in, I believe. Do not stop learning.

I like you son's out of hospital psychiatrist.  He seems to use the minimal approach when it comes to drugging, or your son would be on 5-6 drugs instead of two.  Please do not change doses without his say-so, or Tyson will be in the hospital again, most likely.  Please know, after so many repeat visits, the hospital social worker can get involved, and they can take your son (or you to court if you are his guardian when he keeps having the issues), and the judge can force him to have depot injections. You will have NO say if this happens. Depot injections are long acting injections meant for those who cannot reliably stay on their drugs like they are prescribed.  it is unusual for someone to keep being hospitalized repeatedly unless someone is changing drugs, or messing with doses, when a person is not yet stable.  He needs to be stable for  many months, at least 6-12 and decide on his own (not you asking him if he wants to lower his dose), Tyson KNOWS you do not like the drugs, so what is he going to say to you, NO?   Of course not, or you will disapprove, and he knows it.

You can tell when you son is starting to go into crises.  When this happens, get to the psychiatrist right away, to avoid him going to the hospital, to avoid the social worker getting involved, and things getting out of control.  I promise they will look at whose care he was in each time he was hospitalized, so you will not be able to do anything if the judge realizes this.  The judge will also ask Tyson questions.  Tyson sounds honest, so he will be truthful about who changes his dose.  I assume you do not want him forcibly drugged for up to 3 months at a shot.  Depot injections last 30 to 90 days are even worse than oral drugs in my opinion.  I have talked to people forced to get these injections, especially men, and it causes severe problems in the men I have dealt with. I would not wish this on anyone!

Good luck to Tyson.

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

• 6 months later...

It's been long time since I've to reconnect. Tyson is now living with his friends but we visit him once in a month. He still on Risperidol 3.5mg and 1mg cogenten. The last time we visited him, he said he feels crumps on his leg and can't sit for long. So, what should we tell him to talk to his doctor?  Or is there something things that he can do to ease his restless legs. 

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

• Administrator

tyson, if I were you, I'd make a special visit to the doctor to discuss this. It is a very serious adverse reaction.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

@tyson, by have had this problems myself I can just advise to get off everything. Thats the only solution longterm. But thats very hard for a young person todo

since a young person wants to meet friends,girls,party etc. I was "fortunate" to be dealing with this misery at a somewhat older age where I had a lot of life experience

and knowledge around different things in general. Another thing with being young is that you can feel "invincible" / being ignorant and just go on , on high level of hormones. Its a hard time in life to be focusing on withdrawal / not consuming medicines.

I took my movement problems very serious and didn't want to ease them with cogentin. In the end I wanted off meds or I rather jumped the window.

I hope he manage anyways either way you choses but he will always be having some kind of problems standing on neuroleptics , always (yes its sick). I know this from my own experience

and a few associates thats been in the same position. Ive also witnessed this many this from my visits to the psychiatrist (where Ive seen same patients over and over) and every time I was hospitalized.

I think its important for you and your son to know this. Find me a person on neuroleptics that doesnt have some kind of serious issues. You wont because they dont exist or they are lying because the

issues are so embarrasing. Most guys for example get some kind of impotence sooner or later. It may still work but its never the same.. Visit schizophrenia forums and you can ask people that been on neuroleptics for 2-3+ years.

Its a very hard situation. I haven't read you full story but I believe most people here have been "sane" sometime in life and then had problems which resulted in medicine. We need to recreate that sane time in life

and start doing those things again and stop doing the negative things we did afterwards which resulted in problems. One of the biggest reasons that Im here was because of alcohol abuse (and everything that goes with that). But its not the whole truth but its 

a big part of it. 

Hope he gets better

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

Thanks for your response. he visited his doc. and was told to reduce the cogentine. But I asked the doc. if its better to taper risperidol first and cogentin next and he agreed with me. so we are holding at the same dose for now. Any suggestion or advise pls. thanks

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, tyson said:

Thanks for your response. he visited his doc. and was told to reduce the cogentine. But I asked the doc. if its better to taper risperidol first and cogentin next and he agreed with me. so we are holding at the same dose for now. Any suggestion or advise pls. thanks

Yes, you are correct - it's best to reduce the Risperidol first. Below is Dr. Breggin's advice from the thread Dr. Peter Breggin's 10% taper method. He may be able to reduce part of the Cogentin after he reduces the Risperidol to say, 50% or lower. But if he's struggling with any signs of tardive symptoms (dystonias / dyskinesias), it's best to taper the drug that is the cause of such symptoms first. The Cogentin can be tapered later. 

On 7/8/2011 at 10:01 PM, Altostrata said:

Similarly, if you're taking Cogentin or Artane or some other drug to suppress movement disorders caused by neuroleptics, you should probably first reduce your neuroleptic before you attempt to withdraw from the Cogentin or Artane.

• Administrator

tyson, please discuss with the doctor and your son  a very small reduction in risperidone, it's causing a serious adverse reaction.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you guys for your advise and opinion. My son lives with his friends now. He is the one who told me 

that his doc. reduced the cogenten from 0.5 mg to 0.25 mg. I can't do anything but advice my son to watch 

for any side effect. It's hard and difficult when doc.says some thing to me and does different to your son. it's sad. 

but hope he will stay ok. I just pray for the better future.

Hi, 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering if any one take cogenten 0.25mg day time by itself. the doc. reduced the risperdal 0.25mg from his day dose. 

Now my son is 3mg and 0.5mg at night. he's still have withdrawal problems but stays with his friends safe. 

Hi, 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks you guys for your advise and opinion. My son told me that he still have restless leg, can't sit for long mostly in the evening. 

he is still on the same dose for two month now. Also, his prolactin number came four time above normal and his doc. didn't even call him yet. 

we told him to fellow what his doc. told him to do. But is there anything we can advice him to pass it to his doc. l

thanks . 

Hi, 

• Administrator

This sounds like the same symptom he had in January.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:45 PM, tyson said:

It's been long time since I've to reconnect. Tyson is now living with his friends but we visit him once in a month. He still on Risperidol 3.5mg and 1mg cogenten. The last time we visited him, he said he feels crumps on his leg and can't sit for long. So, what should we tell him to talk to his doctor?  Or is there something things that he can do to ease his restless legs. 

It's not restless leg, it's an adverse effect of risperidone. Reducing the cogentin didn't fix this.

Elevated prolactin is not good.

Thanks Alto for your prompt answer. I remember that and we told our son to tell his doc.  he told us that

His psych. is reducing the pill 0.25mg every two months. Should he stay the course reducing as planned

or does he need to change his meds?

Another idea was thrown by his family doc. to divide his doses into day and night. 2mg at night and 1mg day time. 

what do you think about that?  when you say adverse effect, would that mount to changing the meds or reducing more than 10% ?

thanks. 

Hi, 

• 7 months later...

hi, everybody. I still fellowing the progress with mine son. Recently I saw him and he is on 2mg Risperdol. and 0.5 benzotropin. 

Something bothering me is that his right side eye shrinked in size than his left side. Does anyone have this type of side effect from this medications. I'm not which med is the problem. is it Risperidol or benzotropin and thing I should tell his doc. 

thanks. 

Hi, 

• 1 month later...

Today, my son is being on Risperdol 2mg and congentine 0.5mg for three months. His psych. doc is reducing his Risperdol 0.25mg . I see that is a 12% reduction but I have no say with it. 

But I have a question for anyone with any knowledge or suggestion about facial spasm and Restless legs he have for a year now. Would this condition be permanent or is temporary thing.?

would his condition get better while he is getting lower doses every two months. His doc. called them Destonia and they could be permanente or go away. 

What do you guys know.? Any advice is great. thanks

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

Many people recover from these types of symptoms. We don't know how long they will last, though. Here's some information that may be helpful:

Non-drug treatments for restless legs

Akathisia vs restlessness, anxiety, agitation

it's unfortunate that the doctor is rushing his taper, as a micro-taper would be gentlest on his nervous system. 

Are you able to get your son a new doctor? 

Recommended doctors, therapists, and clinics

Mad in America Provider Directory

Dystonia does resolve for some people.  I don’t believe it’s permanent for drug free individuals, but I’ll find out someday given that I have it.  It has lessened quite a bit.  Rushing the taper might not help, but who knows?  Cold turkey cessation made my dystonia much worse for a while.  

I always read your posts, and so wish there was some way to help you.  Your dedication to your son is admirable.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• 3 months later...

Hi, all

yesterday i visited my son. he told me he is on 1.5mg now. but his congenton is still the same on 0.5mg. 

he said he still gets spasms arms and face. I encourage him to stay on the doctors order. since i could not 

find a doc. that could help me for tapering. But i still worry about his twitching and spasm. 

some one mentiioned to me to stay at this dose for long time and reduce the congenten next time. So;, I want to tell my 

son about to his doc. but how much reduction is good for Benzotropin 0.5mg his current dose for two years now.

thanks

Hi, 

• 7 months later...

Hello every body. Hope every one is save and healthy.  My son was allowed to go home at the end of may on a dose of 1.5mg of Risperdal and 0.5 conginten. He is still taking that dose today. But just before thanksgiving day night, we saw sleeping changes. He is having panic attacks, fear and hallucination. today, it got more hallucination and pacing all day. we didn't change anything. the last six month, he was sleeping good and not too much hallicination. 

ANY Idea and suggestion why he is acting wild. if he stays like this in this few days, he might end up back to psych. ward. 

Was the bimonthly reduction was too fast or something else? Any suggestion? thanks

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

A few questions:

Has he missed any doses or accidentally double dosed?

Has dosing time been consistent?

Has he been sick (as in had an illness)?

Has he taken any antibiotics?  If yes, what kind?

Has he consumed any alcohol?

Has he been eating any foods containing MSG?  This is a neurotoxin and is often found in Chinese food, savoury frozen, canned/tinned and packet meals and savoury flavoured biscuits and snacks (eg flavoured crisps/chips), and chicken salt.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

As I checked with him, he is not sick, No Alcohol drink, dosing time is been consistent. He said no overdose or missing dos.  His diet is mostly homemade, but he buys fast food sometimes. I’m sure his food sometime contain MSG. 
I thought first he may have missed his dose but he said no.

Last night, he didn’t sleep all night. Today I took a day off just to see how he is. 
should we ask his doc. If he  can updose his Risperdal and by how much or should he stay the course? We are confused to what to do to stabilize hi brain. 
thanks for your time. 

Hi, 

• Administrator

Hello, @tyson. How long has your son been taking 1.5 Risperdal and 0.5mg Cogentin?

Did the twitching and spasms go away?

Has he been staying up too late playing video games or watching Netflix? Some people are very sensitive to not having enough sleep.

If you decide he might take more Risperdal, perhaps 1.75mg might work without making the movement disorder worse.

Thanks for your concern Alto, Tyson is being on Risperdal 1.5mg and 0.25mg cong.  since May, 1st.  His spasm is less from previous. But he have his cellphone and computer with him and stays late with them. I was wrong on congentin amount on the above number of 0.5mg. it should be 0.25mg. He was sleeping good but his restless is still there all these times. I was surprised just the day before thanksgiving day night, he screamed and woke us up. It's was a panic attack the way he mentioned it. And from that day on, every night got worse and worse of none sleep and increased agitation. yesterday, he might have slept one hour at most. If this continues, he might end up at the hosp. I think uping it to 1.75mg might help. will start it tonight, if Mom agrees with it. she wants Docs,  approval. 

Hi, 

Hi, Alto, 

I need another advice if you can. How about giving him calm mag. drink or mag. glycinate 5omg.  would that help or hurt the situation? 

thanks

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, tyson said:

Hi, Alto, 

I need another advice if you can. How about giving him calm mag. drink or mag. glycinate 5omg.  would that help or hurt the situation? 

thanks

Please see:

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

It's best to start out with a small amount. Epsom salt baths are another way of getting magnesium. 

Edited by Shep
added more info

• 2 months later...

Hi, everyone

I was wondering if anyone knows about congetin and Mag and calcium interaction problem. I read the paper information that comes with Cogentin and it mentions not to take mag and cal. with Cogentin. No wonder our son was having increased anxiety and hallucinations. Another thing is that he was on 1.5mg Risperdal for a year, and he was  tapered to 1.375mg yesterday. the problem is he still have restless leg. is this normal with Risperdal even on lower dose or s.thing else. Does any one know what is going on?

Today, he is on 1.375mg Risperdal and 0.25mg conginten. 

Hi, 

• 3 weeks later...

hello everyone. hope everyone is safe. 

My question today is, how long does Restless legs ( Akatsia) stay with one who is on Respirdone. secondly, long term damage from cogentin? any idea? 

Hi, 

• 4 weeks later...

hello everybody. hope everyone is safe and healthy. 

My son called me few days ago and told me that his doc. wants to stop the congentin from 0.25mg to zero. I know he have some involuntary movement of his upperext. and grimacing of his jaw. 

Is this move by the doc. acceptable or should I intervene? 

Hi, 

• Administrator

I would find out why this doctor wants to stop the cogentin. You will need to politely but firmly get an explanation for any of his drug decisions.

I cannot say if the cogentin is doing your son any good, you will have to discuss that with your son and the doctor.

Thanks for your advice Alto. I will ask the doc. next time I see him. 

Hi, 

I have e-mailed the psychiatrist about his decisions but I just want to know what it could do to his patient. 

But I also would like to know from administrators here, what would be better idea to follow. He still restless most of the day, and jaw grimmising some time a day.

Is it better to lower Risperidone till his symptoms get better. Maybe till 1mg. and keep benztropine for now?  

Hi, 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi friends of SA. 

My son will have telephone appt. on May, 11. 

we want to ask his psychiatrist  about 0.25mg of cogentin usefulness when he is taking 

1.25mg of Risperdone? 

Would anyone have any idea or suggestion would be appreciated. 

Hi, 

• Administrator

Is he clenching his jaw? What is he doing with his jaw? Any other odd movements?

Doctors prescribe cogentin because they believe it counters movement disorders induced by risperidone. However, cogentin has adverse effects of its own. Read about cogentin on drugs.com here https://www.drugs.com/pro/benztropine.html Click on the Professionals tab.

• Administrator

https://www.bcm.edu/healthcare/specialties/neurology/parkinsons-disease-and-movement-disorders/tardive-dyskinesia

Anticholinergic drugs, such as trihexyphenidyl and benztropine, may ameliorate symptoms of tardive dystonia and parkinsonism, but they should not be prescribed routinely because they may possibly exacerbate TD and worsen thinking and memory. 

TD is tardive dyskinesia -- involuntary movements caused by drugs such as risperidone.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your response. 

It's hard to explain, I see him some times in the morning and in the evening, he clinches his mouth and also, swings his arm involuntary. That is for short time, like a few seconds. Then stays without clinching and involuntary arm movement till evening.  But his restless leg is an all day process. His psychiatrist told us last week, that he should stay with his cogentin till he is below 1mg of Risperidone. So, He is still on 0.25mg of Cogentin and 1.25mg Risperidone. 

Hi,