SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

tysons's son: on Zyprexa

tyson

As a family of a patient who is taking Zyprexa, I'm wondering any family related to my situation. My son stopped to take his meds when he got on 0.65mg of Zyprexa. now its been four weeks. he has no appetite to eat and stop talking to parents. he leaves the house when he woke up around ten in the morning and comes back around 3 pm. then he leaves and comes back at 9 pm. we are scared, he might get hurt or arrested for his psychotic behavior. he refused to stay at home. he locks his room and doesn't want to talk to anybody. Is this the side effect of the medication discontinuation or else. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

put my intro. and then that might help.

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

things are getting tough. no nutrition guide or supplements. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to tysons's son: on Zyprexa
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tyson

• Altostrata

• nz11

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

I read about step-down tapering  from Doc.. Lee in Main. Eastcoast. I live west and that's no help. But I wonder if anyone knows about it or heard about it.

Cause I'm  thinking of tapering from zyprexa to Seraquel and hen to Holadol. Any Idea or sugession is welcome. 

Also, my son CT his zyprexa for two month from 0.625mg. But then he was reinsteded to 1.25mg. and he is psychotic all day and night. he is not himself. 

I don't know if his meds. is too small on dose. what is recomended dose for updosing.  we were tapering 10%every 6-8 weeks. pls. help.

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

2 hours ago, tyson said:

Cause I'm  thinking of tapering from zyprexa to Seraquel and hen to Holadol. Any Idea or sugession is welcome.

Why are you thinking of doing this? Where are you getting this idea from. 

No disrespect but have you read the tapering links on this site for zyprexa.

So sorry your son is suffering like this. Were you tapering 10% of previous dose or original dose. 

Wow it must be heartbreaking to jump off at 0.625 and end up like this. 

Is your son on any other drugs from the doctor or stopped or started or changed any other drugs.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

NZ11, Thanks for your response. My son takes one drug, zyprexa for five years now. before that he started with respiradol 3

mg and then 5mg Abilify. finally short stay of Lithium for two months. After 2012 we stuck on zyprexa with 10% reduction every six to eight weeks from the current dose. but when he got on .625mg, he refuse to take his meds. On that time, in two months without his meds and right food, he lost about twenty pound in wt. The day after thanksgiving day, he was reinstated him. we asked his doc. and his recomended to double from the last dose he stoped. so we went with it for five weeks ok. On the six week, he became halucinated and confused. refused to sleep and not enough food as before. the talking got nonstop till now. the confusion got worse. no sleep for two days. Now I was reading about reinstating dose and I found out we should have got up dose a little not double. but I'm still sure what dose would be better. 

Any advice from administrators would be appreciated

Hi, 

• Administrator

Hi, tyson. I moved your recent posts here, to your own Intro topic, so they wouldn't get lost. Please post your questions in this topic.

What is your son now taking, at what time of day, and dose size?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm having dose change problem. My son was admitted on new year day to psych. ward cause he was screaming non stop as there was extreme pain in his stomach.

but as he was at home, he was at 1.25mg zyprexa. but once he was admitted, he was given 20mg at night and 10mg morning zyprexa for two days. Now he is back home, we decided 

to put him back at 1.25mg. Are we doing the right thing or what ? we are not sure exactly. but we are asking any help or idea is good. 

Also, our goal is to taper zyprexa to the end. Is possible to use benzo replacement while tapering zyprexa. 

I live on North bay, and I'm desperately searching a doc. who helps tapering. any names or places even far. thanks. 

Hi, 

Hi Tyson,

I'm sorry things are rough for your son. I noticed you are looking for a dr who might help with tapering.

The only person I  know of is Dr Peter Madill , he's in Sebastapol. He  helps people taper off Benzos , but he's a medical dr so he may be able to help with other meds. He knows about slow tapering and will support that. He's my doctor , and he lets me taper at my own rate.

He's quite costly and doesn't take insurance I don't think . $450 first visit ( about and hour)and  $165 for phone consults after that.

Hope this helps, it'd be worth a call I think ,  all the best

Maresat

Feb 2015 - 1 st Xanax for anxiety 1/8th mg X prn 2.5 mg ambien night 6- 900 Gabapentin RLS (GPn15 yrs) 2015 - CT steroids Sept 2015- started daily benzos , Xanax 1/8-1/4 mg and Ativan .5 mg after life trauma/900 gabapentin nightly
Dec 2015- klonopin for panic. Dropped Ativan and ambien ,.125-.25 mg Xanax plus .25 to .5 mg Klonopin /Jan 2016- dropped Xanax , WD hell! Feb 2016- wanted off klonopin,Mar 16 to May'16- crossed to 10 mg Valium from.375 mg k /March17-390 GPN June -360 GPN - 8mg V,  june 7.93 mgs V stability gone ,very sick /9/6/17- cross to .40 K in one day - WDs /K better than V / VERY unstable /using dry pills and scale to measure doses . 9/20 -1mgV/.35K. 9/24 -2 mgs V/ .30 K

gabapentin-360 mgs night 

• Administrator

tyson, you can be sure that if your son goes to the hospital with anything resembling symptoms of psychosis or strange behavior, they will pour lots of drugs on him. They will have no concern at all about minimizing the dosage.

How long has he been taking 1.25mg Zyprexa? When did the odd behavior start? Was there any trigger to his symptoms this time?

It's important that your son stay out of the hospital. If you reduce the Zyprexa and he starts behaving in a way that will send him to the hospital, that's not enough Zyprexa.

Thank you, Maresat, for your recommendation of Dr. Madill.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

hi, Alto. My son took 1.25mg zyprexa for five weeks. he was ok. he still talks to himself, sometime loud. but on new year day, he did something that we didn't see. he was spitting like he ate bad stuff.. at that time, he start yelling loud, like you want to throw up from your gut but nothing comes out. that's when we called for Ambulance. As you said, psych. wards are for animals not for people. it's very sad when I went to visit him. All the people there were zombied with high dose of meds. I understand, it's not a place for treatment. It's wors than prison. But my question is we were at 1.25mg before he got instated. now he is back home and we put him back were he left at 1.25mg zyprexa. Is  this a good idea or should we increase his dose 2.5mg. He was 20mg at night and 10mg morning for two days. so, what do you guys think?  His psychosis is still there, never left for long time. 

Hi, 

How frustrating to be sent to hospital and bumped from 1.25mg to 30mg?

Then CT and sent home.

So this all happened on 1 and 2 of jan then he came home right?

So what dose has he been taking since coming home? 1.25mg ?He would have been taking this for about 8 days now right? Or has it been a different dose.

Do you think things have settled down. What are his current symptoms. Some people make a one off mistake with dosing and it may take a while for things to settle so you could look on this as a two  off mistake.

You might like to update the drug sig.

date, dose , drug ; this format makes it very easy to see the drug context at a glance.

Is your son interested in getting off the drug, taking over the driving of this intro, refusing drugs from hospitals. Is he aware or interested in getting informed of the true nature of these chemicals hes swallowing. 

I cant believe a person has a sore stomach and ends up in a psych ward with nearly 30 times! the current dose of drug.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Well that's is what happened to my son. Before he was admitted to the hospital, he was at 1.25mg for five weeks.this is after he CT. at 0.625mg for two months and reinstated back to 1.25mg per his doc. So, I'm confused if we're are helping him or making things worse. Also, today I am going to call benzo withdrawal doc. in here to help us with tapering zyprexa. Would that be ok to do. Any advice?

Hi, 

10 hours ago, tyson said:

Would that be ok to do. Any advice?

If that's what your son wants to do then its his healthcare so no worries. You might find he uses anther psych drug(s) to cover the wdl CT off the zyprexa. What do you think of that idea?

I was just wondering  ... 

1, what dose has you son been taking since returning home from hospital 8 days ago

2. What are the current symptoms if any and

3.Is your son interested in getting off the drug, taking responsibility for the his health care and the situation he is in, making his own bookings with the benzo doc , taking over the driving of this intro, refusing drugs from hospitals. Is he aware or interested in getting informed of the true nature of these chemicals hes swallowing like reading the links on this site. 

4. what do you think about updating the drug sig? with date, dose, drug in vertical entries.

We love hearing from you so keep posting and let us know how it goes with the benzo doc. 

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

My son went back to his prior dose of 1.25mg before he was admitted to psych. ward. Now he is on 1.25mg since he was on it for more than a month. 

he was tapering with my help every six to eight weeks 10% of the present dose. we got down to 0.625mg in August. By the end of August, he completely 

CT. refused to take any meds. for two months. 

November 26/17 started back to 1.25mg

january 2/2018. psych. ward. 20mg/night 10mg day.

January 5/2018 out of psych. ward. no meds.

January 8/18 started on 1.25mg every night. 

Still big insomnia, some times agitation and hallucination. Tomorrow he going to see his shrink. we don't know what to say. zyprexa is very tough to taper. should we ask for easier softer one if there is. ? 

Any suggestion or idea. Or should we just continue with our taper of 5-10% reduction in two months. confused on tapering. 

Hi, 

Dr. Madill said, he doesn't know how to taper zyprexa. He only does help people on benzo. I just found out today. I thought zyprexa has similar chemistry with benzo. but I'm not sure. 

Hi, 

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 4:27 PM, tyson said:

2. I work in a big hospital and I have seen patients with zyprexa for depression, insomnia, nausea. So, is zyprexa at lower dose act as antidepressant?

3. Now since my son is at 2mg. what is best way to go down. since it's going to be on the hoho, steep fall on his plasma concentration. Any advice is very helpful as always.  

Its very ironic and very very sad that you work in a hospital where they prescribe these drugs and yet no one has the foggiest idea  how to taper it and neither does your doctor.

I'm really sorry you are in this dreadful position. Its a real disappointment.

Thankyou for answering questions 1 and 2. 

I was aware of what happened at and prior to the psych  ward but it was good to confirm what happened after.

1 hour ago, tyson said:

November 26/17 started back to 1.25mg

january 2/2018. psych. ward. 20mg/night 10mg day.

January 5/2018 out of psych. ward. no meds.

January 8/18 started on 1.25mg every night

Good going

This would look so good in the drug sig

Maybe even go back a little further in time as well.

55 minutes ago, tyson said:

zyprexa is very tough to taper. should we ask for easier softer one if there is. ? 

Well it certainly isn't easy when you increase the dose 24 fold for three days and then decr 96% back again. after taking zero doses for three days.

Good question the problem is there is no 'easy to get off psych drug' they are all difficult. And switching is not a good idea. 

1 hour ago, tyson said:

Still big insomnia, some times agitation and hallucination

So what are you saying?

1. Things are unmanageable and he cant hold at this current dose ,and/or 

2. He is, as Alto nicely puts it, 'behaving in a way that is going to put him in the hospital' , or even as previously happened arrested.

1 hour ago, tyson said:

Tomorrow he going to see his shrink. we don't know what to say

Imo I  don't think they will have any answers for you. He may even come home believing he has a mental illness, maybe that's what he already believes idk?

You have seen the shrink before regarding wdl symptoms and just got offered additional drugs (trileptal).

They may even do a Rico whereby they CT the Zyprexa and then dump a whole lot of new stuff on him.

What would you think if he came home with 100mg Seroquel, 200 mg gabapentin and some Ativan as needed and maybe even 75 mg of Effexor to boot. 

When this sometimes happens to people they take them for a week or three and then come to sa and ask for an opinion. Its then that I really wish they had have asked for an opinion before swallowing them. sigh!

I would like to hear from Tyson.

Alto has already alluded to the fact, if I am reading it correctly, if he cant manage behavior in order to  stay out of hospital then he may not be taking enough Zyprexa.

I like this idea imo if he currently cant manage, and he cant hold on the current dose, then stay on the Zyprexa alone and go for an updose stabilize and then taper safely down to the smallest of doses.

You were previously using a compounding pharmacy so that's a great idea for going forward.

And in the future taper at 5% (or less) Rhia suggested this back in June 2014.

And keep updating the drug sig and updating on progress regularly. We go through wdl symptoms if we only hear from you once a year.

imo all the answers are already right here in this thread. 

Let us know how the shrink visit goes or if anything helpful comes of it. 

I cant help wondering what  will be next on the menu.

So sorry Tyson is struggling to get  off this dreadful chemical.

Wishing you taper success in 2018.

nz11 

2 hours ago, tyson said:

Any suggestion or idea. Or should we just continue with our taper of 5-10% reduction in two months. confused on tapering

Sounds like symptoms may in fact be manageable then. 

Yep here's an idea hold on 1.25mg for a couple of months if the coast is clear taper at 5% or less. And check in and update often with sa  :)

2 hours ago, tyson said:

Tomorrow he going to see his shrink. we don't know what to say

How about say this...

Tyson and I are very disappointed that we were not informed:

That in the Zyprexa drug trials there were 12 suicides and that the drug company Lilly refused to release the number of attempted suicides in the trial. Why do you think that might be?

That Zyprexa causes dependency and unmanageable withdrawal symptoms.

That Lilly has settled over $2 billion  worth of claims that Zyprexa has raised cholesterol and caused diabetes and other metabolic problems.

We feel very betrayed by the medical profession. 

After 4 years of careful tapering we are still not able to be free of this poison due to debilitating withdrawal symptoms. These withdrawal symptoms  in themselves are an adverse event of treatment. We know that you take adverse events seriously  so will you be filing a complaint/report regarding this iatrogenic harm on our behalf to the FDA regarding this. And when you have done so we would appreciate it if you would please provide us with a copy.

Recovering paxil addict

How was the pdoc meeting.

Recovering paxil addict

Tyson any joy from the pdoc meeting?

Recovering paxil addict

I have seen " Alternative to Meds" in Sedona, AZ. On the list of clinics who could help tapering psych. meds. 

I called the place and was told their program is eight weeks and charges 12,000/Month.  

I have my doubts, but I want to have an advice from the administrators. If this is a legit and your recommendations.

we are desperate to help our son to get out of this horrible pain. 

Anyone with information whom people used or general.  

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is SA's link to a discussion : alternative-to-meds-center-in-sedona-arizona

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, nz11 said:

Tyson any joy from the pdoc meeting?

I guess not then.

Tyson the best way out of this is for you to take ultimate control of the withdrawal process.

All you need is found here at sa.

The links are all well worth reading.

Healy the world authority is referring people to Alto's sa for tapering and wdl help so what does that tell you.  

Just out of curiosity is English your first language.

Recovering paxil addict

nz11. thanks for your responses. yes, English is my second language. I'm the father and trying to help my son to get out from this meds. I read zyprexa is very strong neuroleptic. he refuses any other pill, even vitamin supplements. I was thinking of asking him if we could try CBD 10mg pills. I just know, they got good reviews for psychosis, anxiety and other remedies. 

Also, I was checking inpatient facilities that help withdrawal from neuroleptic medications. St. Luis Obispo, got on my radar since it's south of SF. Does anyone have any knowledge about this facility? Is this a  place worth paying your money. 

Also, about the Doc visit. first, my son was in his good time, so the doc. thought he is doing fine and said to give him his old dose of 1.25mg. The doc. also recommended group counseling which my son didn't like. Mostly cause of age difference. Generally, nothing came out of the visit. since then he is actually doing good on 1.25mg and we are there to keep him till he's stable. His symptoms are high and low. Mostly low. so, we hope he gets better as he stays more at that dose.

thanks.

Hi, 

Well that is surprisingly good news that your son has come away with no new drugs added.

And great going to be holding at 1.25mg. That's tremendous.

Hopefully he will settle and then you can plan to taper again maybe start off extra slow say 2.5% or 5%.

You may be looking at two years to taper off so I'm having trouble seeing how any wdl facility can short cut that. They cant.

They only see you for 2 expensive months say. Well you know that you cant get off in 2 months. 

I think the best thing is to stick with sa.  

If it were me I would not be taking cbd oil or any herbal supplements. Its not worth the risk.

39 minutes ago, tyson said:

I just know, they got good reviews for psychosis, anxiety and other remedies. 

I would be very skeptical. 

There are no shortcuts. 

Ask them how they taper patients. That will give the game away immediately. 

If they say 'slowly' then ask them to define 'slowly' Ask them how long they hold between drops. 

Recovering paxil addict

Hello, Tyson.  I just posted something on my own thread you might like to read.  I hope your son continues to stabilize.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

Hi, nz11. I asked the people who said they help tapering about the timing. They said once the patient comes in, they evaluate and start tapering off the whole amount within a week. Then they start detox. The patient is in house treatment with the help of psychiatrics and nurses. The program is for three months and cost of 40k. I don't believe in their treatment policy. That's too fast of tapering. But my wife is desperate of finding some thing that would help for longer periods.cause she is stuck with him at home helping him with everything. She is tired and she wants to have life.

Hi, 

Hi Tyson.

I empathize with the situation you and your wife find yourself in.

3 hours ago, tyson said:

That's too fast of tapering.

Of course that's too fast tapering. 

3 hours ago, tyson said:

They said once the patient comes in, they evaluate and start tapering off the whole amount within a week.

That is not a good idea.

3 hours ago, tyson said:

Then they start detox

I wonder what detox is. Did they explain that?

It might be 5 alternative psych drugs?

If its a few broccoli smoothies then we know that is not going to hold back wdl symptoms. 

I spent some time reading that site you posted about alternative meds or something. One thing that i noticed was in the list of withdrawal symptoms they had was this one..'a return of the underlying condition'... I thought, there is their cop out. When the mud hits the fan they will simply say its a return of the original condition go to the doctor or hospital for help. Then you will be abandoned to the medical profession.

Do you know what i think would be the best way to spend that 40K?

Book yourself and your wife on a cruise and have a nice holiday. Leave Tyson at home.

Many of us including myself suffered wdl alone without being waited on hand and foot.

Tyson is 22-23 yrs old right? He is big enough ugly enough and intelligent enough to take responsibility for his health imo. 

If he feels he cant hold on the current dose or keep his behavior in check in order to keep away from doctors or hospitals nor is he able to  give his long suffering parents some peace and rest then maybe he should go for an updose. imo.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, tyson said:

Hi, nz11. I asked the people who said they help tapering about the timing. They said once the patient comes in, they evaluate and start tapering off the whole amount within a week. Then they start detox. The patient is in house treatment with the help of psychiatrics and nurses. The program is for three months and cost of 40k. I don't believe in their treatment policy. That's too fast of tapering. But my wife is desperate of finding some thing that would help for longer periods.cause she is stuck with him at home helping him with everything. She is tired and she wants to have life.

Hey Tyson - 

we have had members with very bad experiences at that clinic.  It does not take into consideration the time it take to re-balance your neurons after they have been rattled by the drugs.  

The members we had here - also had "psychotic" symptoms (what I call "spiritual emergence") and they didn't do very well with that at all, and blamed the patient for their failure.

Please read the link that Chessie posted, and save your money (and prevent a lot of grief).  alternative-to-meds-center-in-sedona-arizona

Please also read the resources I've put up here:

Alternatives for Psychotic Outbreaks

Worldwide there are not many options for a drug free survival of a psychotic state.  There are a half-dozen "drug free" beds in Norway.  There are models based on Soteria and DIabasis House.   We don't know of any "detox" clinic which has the same level of success that slow tapering provides.

It sounds like supporting this adult sized man is becoming too much for you?  I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know all the issues.  I only know that the "Alternatives" center in Sedona is all too happy to take your money - and leave you with more problems than before.

There is no fast solution.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

yes, English is my second language. I'm the father and trying to help my son to get out of this meds. I read zyprexa is very strong neuroleptic. he refuses any other pill, even vitamin supplements. I was thinking of asking him if we could try CBD 10mg pills. I just know, they got good reviews for psychosis, anxiety and other remedies. 

Also, I was checking inpatient facilities that help withdrawal from neuroleptic medications. St. Luis Obispo, got on my radar since it's south of SF. Does anyone have any knowledge about this facility? Is this a  place to pay your money

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tyson's Dad?  I think in general the inpatient facilities that "say" that they help with W/D do not always, or seldom use the collected wisdom/anecdotal reports, such as found here at survivingantidepressants.org.  That being said.......I have no knowledge of that facility.  It does sound like you are in a tough situation right now.

Who are you thinking of asking about trying the CBD pills?  The doctor at the St. Luis Obispo center?  I can't really comment on whether that might be helpful right now.  From what I could piece together, reading here, is that there have been some rather abrupt changes to Tyson's medications/drugs..........on, off, high doses then none, or rapid reductions.  This can all play a huge factor in his recovery right now.

I'm glad that you are seeing some stability in Tyson at the present time.  Is he able to participate here?

I think it would be very helpful to us, here at survivingantidepressants, to have you update Tyson's signature.  With some dates especially and duration s of usages of medications/drugs.  As nz11 explained above, as well.    And do look at the link that JanCarol posted above.  You may be able to find further resources to best meet Tyson's needs now within that collected wisdom.  As well as your needs as a family now.

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator
On 1/20/2018 at 5:25 PM, tyson said:

Generally, nothing came out of the visit. since then he is actually doing good on 1.25mg and we are there to keep him till he's stable. His symptoms are high and low. Mostly low. so, we hope he gets better as he stays more at that dose.

tyson, this may be as good as it can get.

Does your son understand that if he behaves in an odd way and goes to the hospital, he will get more drugs?

If his behavior deteriorates when the Zyprexa dosage is decreased and he cannot manage his behavior -- no blame here, he may be neurologically variable -- he might have to consider staying on the lowest dose of Zyprexa that enables him to get by in society without attracting attention that might get him institutionalized.

At any rate, it might be a good idea to stop tapering for a long while, maybe 6 months or a year, for your son to take 1.25mg Zyprexa regularly, and to think about tapering again when he has had a good period of stability.

Thanks Alto. My son understands and he always tries to avoid going to hospital. even for general checkup. but last time, we could not handle his anxiety and we called Ambulance. From the day he came back home on jan-8th  till the jan/24th, he was stable. These two last days, he couldn't sleep all night and his fear and paranoa was very high. Sometimes he goes out and eats fastfood and likes sodas. we tried many times that his food choises should change. but he will do it sometimes. But I wonder if there is any supplement like magnezium, fish oil and B3 . Are these suplements ok to try at this time. since I hate to give him Atavan for sleep. 

Hi, 

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

TD

The drug signatures that are easier to understand at speed compared to others have a format:

date , dose, drug.

May i ask how often is Tyson taking Ativan ..that's a benzo!

Its not a good idea to take a benzo for sleep. 

If he is taking this can you add it to the drug signature.

It sounds like Tysons panic has transferred to the parents and an ambulance was rung.

Maybe one thing to do in the future is to ask is this a medical crises or an emotional crises.

If its an emotional crises you don't need to hit the panic and emergency mode. If you are confident that you can handle Tysons feelings however distressing and overwhelming then Tyson may respond by calming down and regaining confidence in himself. I know you don't speak English as your mother tongue and i had a feeling earlier that that was the case. But the Claire Weeks thread could be helpful at this time. Maybe you can use google translate to help understand the ideas.

I'll find the thread and see if i can post it here

nz11 

Recovering paxil addict

• 2 months later...

Hi, All

I hope this is the right place for Zyprexa tapering people to fellow their other friends. 

I helping my son to taper his medication Zyprexa since 2012. he started on 15mg and is being roller-coaster since then. He has been hospitalized three times due to relapse. The last one this past new year. He is now on 1.25mg of Zyprexa and that dose was from thanks-giving day onward. we thought we were going fast on tapering, so we are holding for more than six months or till he gets stable. Mom is afraid of giving him any supplement so, I have a week vacation mid-April and I want to ask him if he wants to try mag-glycinate cut the small dose in half and try that for a week. 

Any idea or comment is acceptable. 

thanks

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi tyson,

I've moved the post you made in another member's Intro topic and merged it with the Intro topic for your son's taper.

Please post here in this topic.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I wouldn't cut the 1,25mg dose in half. The withdrawal from olanzapine seems to get tremendously more difficult the lower the dose you're on. That certainly has been my experience. So please take it slowly, and let your son stabilize before the next cut. And that next cut shouldn't be more than 10% -I personally am planning to do 5% monthly drops when I'm on those low doses, and I plan to go even slower on lower doses. That requires you to start tapering with a liquid, link below.

Magnesium glycinate can certainly be good. It might have with sleep, but it's effect varies depending on the individual. To me it doesn't do much. But it still might be helpful, and most people suffer from magnesium deficiency, so all the more reason to take it.

Best of luck in your son's taper,

Bokart

2015 Started on Olanzapine 10 mg, 2016:18th January Down to 7.5 mg (from 9,38 mg) 1st of June 6.75 mg (began 10% taper!) [...] 1st December 3.65 mg

2017: 1st Jan. ~3.3 mg, 1st Feb 2.95 mg, 22nd Feb 2.65 mg (began 3-week taper) 15th Mar 2.38 mg, 5th Apr 2.14 mg, 26th Apr 1.94 mg  17th May ~1.74 mg (began 19-day taper) 5th June ~1.56 mg 24th June 1.4 mg (began 17-day taper) 11th July 1.26 mg 30th July 1.13 mg 24th Aug 1.0 mg(!)

17th Sept 15 mg 11st Oct 13.5 mg 26th Oct 11.75 mg 18th Nov 10 mg 15th Dec 9 mg

2018: 12nd Jan. 8.1 mg 15th Feb 7.5 mg 1st Apr 6.75 mg 1st Apr 6.08 mg 1st Jun 5.48 mg 1st Jul 5 mg 15th Aug 4.6 mg 15th Sep 4.4 mg 18th Nov 4.3 mg 16th Dec 4.2 mg

2019: 16th Jan 4.1 mg 28th Feb 4.0 mg [...] (began 0.1mg per 2.5 months taper!) 1st Oct 3.7 mg 15th Dec 3.6 mg

2020: 1st Mar 3.5 mg (began 0.1mg per 3 months taper!) 1st Jul 3.35 mg (<-- trying a larger drop) 4th Sep 3.25 mg (started 0.1125mg / 2 months) 10th Dec ~3.1125 mg

2021: 1st Feb 3.0 mg 26th May 2.9 mg 1st Sep 2.8 mg

2022: 1st Mar 2.7 mg 1st Aug 2.6 mg | 2023: 1st Jan 2.5 mg 1st Sep 2.4 mg
Other medications: Temazepam for sleep, don't want to use it (has too many side effects). Melatonin too, except that doesn't work for me with high doses of olanzapine.

Haven't used any sleeping medications for a long time. Temazepam caused withdrawal symptoms when I last tried it.

My son is having very hard time tapering zyprexa. I would like to contact anyone from this online users by any means to discuss or for advise. 

we live in sonoma county, santa rosa area. 

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

I have moved the new Intro topic your created and merged it with your original Intro topic.  Each member has only 1 Intro topic where they can ask questions and journal their progress  This keep your history in one place.  Please do not create any more Intro topics.  Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat