SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

tysons's son: on Zyprexa

tyson

• Administrator

tyson, if your son is not cooperating, you can't help him taper. He may skip doses or quit his drugs, then go back to the hospital.

Are you his legal guardian or is he too old?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tyson

• Altostrata

• nz11

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm his Dad. and he's 27 years old. but very stuborn since he started this medication. How do i get to be a legal guardian? 

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

put my intro. and then that might help.

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

things are getting tough. no nutrition guide or supplements. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Tyson. 

I read through your thread and wanted to chime in with what Alto and the other mods have written. 

I am concerned that your son hasn't received the kind of information we are providing to you.

Some questions:

1. Have you provided your son with the information to contact Will Hall? This has been suggested several times on your thread. Here is his contact information:

On 5/9/2018 at 5:00 PM, Altostrata said:

Here's how to contact Will Hall http://willhall.net/counseling/

These are videos of Mr. Hall explaining the best ways to come off psychiatric drugs. As you can see, his own very powerful lived experience shaped his method of helping people come off these drugs. 

Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs: A Harm Reduction Approach to Medication Withdrawal | Will Hall video (40 minutes)

Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs Workshop with Will Hall video (1 hour, 7 minutes)

He is someone who spent 10 years himself on antipsychotics and other drugs before coming off them. He is co-founder of the Icarus Project, a well-respected organization that helps people come off these drugs. He wrote the below informational booklet: 

Harm Reduction Guide to Coming off Psychiatric Drugs

And here is more helpful information from the Icarus Project website:

The Crisis Toolkit

2. Have you provided your son with any of the links to ways on handling his symptoms as he comes off these drugs? 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Neuro emotions

And there are many, many other helpful threads on this website. 

3. Have you told him about Surviving Antidepressants and invited him to post on the forum himself? When people come off long-term psychiatric drug use, they need to be able to post and get help and advice from other people who've travelled this road and can guide him with very specific non-drug coping skills to treat his specific symptoms as they play out. It's possible he's not interested in therapy and other things you've mentioned because it's coming from his family and doctors and not his peers who have lived experience. 

If he's not in the right head-space to take charge of his drug tapering, to learn to use non-drug coping techniques, and to post online with his peers, he's likely not ready to come off the drugs. He really needs to have these resources and be allowed the space - away from family and doctors - to explore for himself and learn from others like him that it's really possible to either come off the drugs completely or at least lower his drug burden and still have a happy and healthy life. 

I admire you for looking out for your son and seeking out this website, but Surviving Antidepressants is really set up to work directly with the people who are coming off the drugs. 

Edited by Shep
added video

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, tyson said:

I'm his Dad. and he's 27 years old. but very stuborn since he started this medication. How do i get to be a legal guardian? 

Hi Tyson's Dad,

Try 211 for local resources agencies, and volunteers who may be able to help you and Tyson now.  Ground support as we call it.

You can even do a 211 online for your area.

211 with your State or county in a search.

Legal aide would be the way to go for filing guardianship.  And it may well vary state to state.

Try and be patient with it.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi, Shep

we as parents,  provided our son every info. about withdrawal web sites and ways to connect. but he never seem to 

to go and do any search and connection. He would not go to therapy or counseling. But as parents, we will keep working and 

pushing him to start one day and maybe he will wake up one day and see that things in a positive way. but for now, he is suffering 

on his own attitude. the main thing is for us not quit on him. because he is suffering,and forced to ingest  poison from main stream medical system. 

Now from what I received info. about Geodon, any thing higher than 120mg/day is too much and can cause sever side effects. So, Is that ok for us to reduce his dose when he 

is out from the facility to 80mg/day or should we keep with what he came out dose? 

Also, how should I convince my wife about the benefit of some supplements,  like mag citrate, vit. C, fish oil..she would not accept any addition to his meds.  I told her we can try small dose of mag.first

and see that for a week. 

Hi, 

This is Tyson. I'm not sure if I'm doing this in the right place. But I'm doing this cause I thought I don't have a file here. 

I was trying to get some help from members with my son's withdrawal, but it's been lost somewhere. So, I thought maybe I should 

My son started Respiradol 3mg took that for three month and dropped it. Then Abilify 5mg for six month and due to his restlesnes, stopped by his doc. 

then got ordered to take zyprexa 15mg. He took zyprexa for five years but lowering with the help of doc and compounding pharmacy. he is now on 1.25mg. but 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure what to advice on the Geodon, Tyson, but you may want to reach out to Will Hall yourself on behalf of your son. According to his website, Hall lives and works in Oakland, CA, so he may know of some on-the-ground resources for your area of California. Might be worth a Skype call to find out. 

There's also the Mad in America directory of doctors and therapists that are familiar with psychiatric drug withdrawal. Might be worth researching them and finding out what is available in your area:

Mad in America Provider Directory - California

From reading your latest posts, your son has been hospitalized multiple times this year and you've already looked into finding a residential treatment center. Although many of them are sketchy and withdraw people from their drugs too quickly, you may find the resources on the MiA site helpful in finding something suitable. 

• Administrator
On 5/11/2018 at 1:57 PM, tyson said:

This is a legal proceeding. He will be declared unable to handle his own affairs. This may cause conflict in your family. Do you want to do this?

1 hour ago, tyson said:

Hi, Shep

we as parents,  provided our son every info. about withdrawal web sites and ways to connect. but he never seem to 

to go and do any search and connection. He would not go to therapy or counseling. But as parents, we will keep working and 

pushing him to start one day and maybe he will wake up one day and see that things in a positive way. but for now, he is suffering 

on his own attitude. the main thing is for us not quit on him. because he is suffering,and forced to ingest  poison from main stream medical system. 

Now from what I received info. about Geodon, any thing higher than 120mg/day is too much and can cause sever side effects. So, Is that ok for us to reduce his dose when he 

is out from the facility to 80mg/day or should we keep with what he came out dose? 

Also, how should I convince my wife about the benefit of some supplements,  like mag citrate, vit. C, fish oil..she would not accept any addition to his meds.  I told her we can try small dose of mag.first

and see that for a week. 

How much Geodon is he taking?

How do you control his drug dosage? Do you provide him the dose and watch him take it?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

My son is still in the psych. facility. I went today to visit him and he was very drawsy and sleepy. he can't even open his eyes. He is on 80mg Geodon twice aday. 

At home his mom gives him his meds and watches him take it. 

Do you think that dose is high for him. They increased his dose from may 5 to may 12 , from 20mg to 80mg twice a day. They said he was still psychotic and they want 

to shut him down. But that seems to me to fast of increment in a short time. They said once he is quite, he will go home. 

Hi, 

Hi, Shep

Thanks about the Mad in America list of services. you know, I have been looking for any inpatient or out patient services

but could not find a reliable one. There is on Az. Sedona very expensive one but not reliable for cure. There one in oregon, Mind and body clinic. 

So, if you know any one which you have any info that some one used and helped them, I need to know about them. But I have no knowledge about any of 

these sites. But still looking for any help that would taper his meds and give him some relief. 

Thanks for your help

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, tyson said:

Hi, Shep

Thanks about the Mad in America list of services. you know, I have been looking for any inpatient or out patient services

but could not find a reliable one. There is on Az. Sedona very expensive one but not reliable for cure. There one in oregon, Mind and body clinic. 

So, if you know any one which you have any info that some one used and helped them, I need to know about them. But I have no knowledge about any of 

these sites. But still looking for any help that would taper his meds and give him some relief. 

Thanks for your help

I'm sorry, but I don't know of anyone who has used any of the inpatient places listed on the Mad in America site. The people who generally come to sites like Surviving Antidepressants are usually the people wanting to taper so they have the capacity to monitor their own taper. And we rarely recommend inpatient as the withdrawal protocol is generally too fast. 

My heart goes out to you because you are working on behalf of your son and you have limited control on how he responds and is compliant with a slow and gentle taper. So you may not have a choice in the matter. 

You may want to reach out to some of the doctors listed on the Mad in America site and get their insight into the residential places. 

I recognized several of the names listed because they write for the Mad in America site, such as Michael Cornwall and Jay Joseph.  They have PhDs and not medical degrees, so they won't be able to prescribe drugs for your son's taper, but they may have some insight into resources available in the California area. Their contact information is on the MiA provider page.  They are both very aware of the dangers of these drugs.

Stuart Shipko is also an author on Mad in America and is listed in the provider directory. He's a psychiatrist so he can, of course, prescribe medications and may have some insight into the resources in your area. He's a bit controversial because he sometimes advocates the use of benzos to help people come off antidepressants. I'm not sure what his protocol is for antipsychotics, but at least he's aware of the problems of psychiatric drug withdrawal and he's located in your state. He may have some insight into the residential places in your area. 

And of course, Wall Hall is another resource to reach out to. 

You may also want to reach out to the Hearing Voices Networks (HVN) in the California area. HVN is aimed at proving alternatives to drugs for people who experience voices, visions, and extreme states. This is the state listing, which has five groups in California: 

Hearing Voices Network - state listings

So that can get you started on finding a place for your son that will be better than the repeat trips to his current facility where he's being over-medicated.  It's possible your son may need to stay on a low dose of some sort of medication for awhile until he learns how to handle his extreme states. In time, though, as he grows older, a lot of the impulse control issues become easier to handle. I found that out myself and many others also have an easier time coming off antipsychotics later in life. The lower doses come with less side effects and will allow him to work and go to school and later, as he matures and develops better life skills, he may be able to come off the drug completely. Right now, though, he needs to survive his current crisis state and you and his mother need to be able to take a break from the stressful role as care-takers. 

If you find a place or a doctor that turns out to be a good fit, please let us know about it. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Another resource that might help is theinnercompass.org. You may be able to connect with other families in your area going through similar experiences. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Hi, All

May 14, Me and my wife went to visit my son who is still in the psych. facility. They kept him more days than usual since they were changing 

his medication. So, first they tried Geodon for a week. So, yestreday when we asked what dose he is on, the nurse said they didn't give him today cause they are

changing his meds again to Respiradone. she said Geodon didn't work for him. when we asked the reason, she said he was having side effects like Restlessenes, low BP. Now they started him

on Respiradon 3mg day and 2mg for night. I thought that is too high again. but that's their protocol. So, what a mess. he is in bad condition. We just waiting for him to be released and work with outside psych. doc. This is my story today. if any change, I will update. Any idea or suggestion is welcome. thanks 

Hi, 

Hi, all.

My son is coming home tomorrow the 19th of May. He will be on 5mg of Risperdol. 3mg for night and 2mg in the morning. He's been on this drug for 5 days tomorow. 

You mentiioned it's better to keep him on low dose for a while after his discharge. we have an appt. on the 21st ,may. wth his psychiatrist. But I trust the Moderator here than

the psychiatrists. So, pls. Moderators, I need your advice again. Should we keep him on his discharge meds of 5mg Risperdol or reduce it some. and by how much.? 

He looks very drowzy and wabbley legs. Maybe also, stiff neck. I'm afraid of his look. Is 5mg to high for 120 LB young boy.?

Hi, 

Hi, all. an update to my son. 

He is back home yesterday, sat.19th. he was happy to be home. On his second day he went to buy soda from nearest store. 

I was not happy with that. But my main isuue is that I was checking on our form ( SA) about dose equivalent. If 'm reading it orrect, 

4mg of Risperidon =5+_2.5mg Olanzapine.  So, is that mean 7.5mg zyprexa. But he is on 3mg bed time and 2mg morning. Also, 0.5mg of Congentin in the 

morning and bed time. He started congentin when he was on Geodon 80mg. But did not work as he got negative reaction to it. Now they kept ithe conginten with his new regimen of Risperdon.

Any one have an Idea to this. 

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please read Skeeter's post, above, and answer these questions:

How is he doing now?

Why weren't you happy that he went to the store?

Is he wanting to reduce his dosage?

If you don't have his consent and active participation, we are limited in our ability to help.  It wouldn't be responsible. 

Shep also made several suggestions including Will Hall as well as the HNV. what do you think of those?

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Hi, SKYBLUE

My son is doing good. His psychosis is very minimum. I asked him if he feels heavy on his head. but he said he feels fine. 

Last night he slept almost 10 hrs straight without waking up. But his appetite is heavy since he came home. I was not happy of him going to 

store cause he buys gunky stuff. Then he goes to the park alone and sits there which is a secluded park. We are just afraid he might do or get involved 

with bad habit people. About reducing his meds, yes, he wants to reduce it but we will consult with his psych. Doc. tomorrow. and fellow his recommendation. 

Also, He is trying to get involved with the websites you recommend. He doesn't like online counseling but he said he will try it. 

Is there any one have about his cogentin he is taking?  we know why they started him on it but should he be on it continuously with Risperidone. we will be asking about 

that to his doc. too. but I doubt they know more than our people here. Also, any idea of Dose Equivalent on psychiatric drugs. What do you think on my guess?

Hope that answers your request. 

thanks

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

I am glad your son is feeling quite well at the moment.   Does he have learning difficulties or autism?  He has worked and been at school since you came to SA, does he have a job he can go back to?  Right now I would leave things alone. Changing the drugs constantly will not help him. He needs to get stable first. His nervous system will be struggling with all those changes, the drugs have been changed many times when he goes to hospital, then comes home and they are changed again, then back off to hospital.  He needs to be on a steady dose, same dose every day in order to stabilise. Then he can start to think about tapering them very slowly.  Maybe he will feel better about tapering  later and can learn for himself the best way to go about it.   

I know how upsetting it is when a child is being drugged,  whether they are young or old, it is fruatrating and we would do anything for our children, but changing the drugs constantly is not helping him. Sometimes people do manage to come off them very fast and they have the space to recover, but your son gets very sick and has to go back to the hospital where it all starts again.   I really would just watch and wait for now. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks mamap. As you said he will be on his current dose for at least six months. Maybe then he might start tapering. 

Few days ago we visited his psychiatrist and he wants to drop the day time congeten 0.5mg. We have no idea about the side effects of it. Anyone have an idea, pls. Let us know what you think. 

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

Cogentin is used for parkinsons and movement disorders that are  side effects of other drugs. I have no idea why the psychiatrist would want to stop the morning dose and leave the night time dose, it is sometimes prescribed on an as needed basis.  As with most psychotropic drugs stopping it suddenly after regular use can lead to withdrawal. I hope he is still feeling ok. 

Could you update the signature with the latest drugs for us please? 

Edited by mammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks for your comments. He took the congeten for ten days. Would that be a problem if he fellow what his doctor said. Or should he cut it in half.  What would you suggest. 

Hi, 

• Administrator

If he's only taken the Cogentin for 10 days, he can stop it without tapering. Fewer drugs is better.

However, if he's getting movement disorders from the antipsychotics, those are extremely serious side effects. Psychiatrists believe adding Cogentin will counter these side effects. Minimizing the antipsychotics to lowest effective dose is better for the person than adding a drug.

Everything depends on your son's ability to understand his behavior and manage it. If he does not have the capacity to understand it and manage it, it's going to be very difficult for you to minimize his drugs without the help of a good psychiatrist. Your son will keep on quitting his drugs and end up in the hospital.

Have you contacted every psychiatrist in your area? You will need to interview them to see what their attitude is towards minimizing drugs. Most will want to prescribe high doses of drugs in combination to make sure your son does not act oddly.

• 2 weeks later...

An update. Hello Friends. Today is the second week for my son out of the facility. He is not any better than when he entered the psych. facility. He is still hullucinated and some times gets wild. 

He is still on the same meds as he came out of the facility. Does any one think his dose is high. 5mg of Resperdon and 1mg of coginten. The doc. said we have to wait atleast two months before he starts 

to taper it. Any idea or advice. 

thanks. 

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

The same advice we gave before.  Please continue to hold.  If you have issues with his current behavior, please contact his psychiatrist, ASAP!  Sounds like he is willing to help.  Be sure to share any changes you made without his suggestion, such as stopping the Cogentin in full.  Get him there ASAP, or you will lose him to the hospital once again.  Please take him to his doctor if you have concerns.  His well being should be your upmost concern, so please update after you take him in.  Have you looked at a group ho,e atmosphere for him, to see if it suits him?  There is supervision, and your wife would et a break.

Please update your signature with current drug regimen, it explains exactly how to do it.  We have requested this so many times, it is the most important information.  Please do this before responding again:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

So, what have you found out about all of the sites the mods have provided above for help for your son, what did they say, or are you not even looking?  If you want to help your son, what you are doing now is NOT working, tapering before he settles is not working, obviously, as he keeps going back to the hospital.

If you do not like him to go to the park, what other activities outside of the house are you taking him to that will make his life better?  Things he can do by himself outside, if there are no ideas, the park sounds nice.

Please let us know what the doc says.

Current meds: Lexapro 20mg, Valium 6.25mg
Current status: September 2018 forced to go down to 10mg of Valium/Diazepam from around 15mg, with the plan to have me totally of in 2 more months. I was not given a chance to give input at tapering at this speed, please go much, much slower. Luckily I found a new doctor, but was thrown off course by my rapid taper, as of 2/19 am down to 6.25mg, and am stable. Will update with dates of taper ASAP.
Read my history here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12819-skeeters-journey/

I am NOT a doctor. My opinions are just that- MY opinions, based on my personal experiences and research, but your experience and reactions may differ greatly, we are all different! I maintain that a doctor educated in withdrawal is the best place to get info or to get the "go ahead" before changing your medications in any way!

• Moderator Emeritus

This might prove helpful too:

http://www.peerrespite.net/

If you are in LA county, there is one he may qualify for.  Read through the main page and then go to the directory of respites.  To get some respite for your whole family.  It might help and you may be able to avoid further possible "over medication" or hospitalization by the psychiatrist. 

My only complaint with the whole organization is that they use the term "consumer".  It's just a word though........just a word.........

Best,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Looking at the restlessness reason they are likely referring to insomnia. Doctors don't call it this often for some reason.  The reason they likely prescribed Risperdone is because it also works with the h1 receptor like Zyprexa for sleep.  I am with in a couple years of the same age of your son and doing my Zyprexa taper with out any real social support.  Please get your son on board with this site if you can. In my opinion every side effect I have had was because of a Zyprexa not the other way around.  It is in my opinion one of the worst of even the old typical antipsychotics.

My Intro FB Zyprexa 2015-September 2018

1st time I tried to come straight off of 10mg Zyprexa I was hospitalized for insane insomnia.

Current - Abilify Maintena & L Theanine(for akathisia)

Hi, skeeter.

Hope my edited signature help. 

I'm always reading a lot in this site and the main advice and common one is the three S. Small, Slow, and steady. Take time til we stay ballanced or stable.

You asked what we're doing for him. He is walking a mile everyday. He is watching his diet now.  He has a plan to get back to exercise. 

We want him to go to therapy soon. Going back to psychiatrist is only increasing your dose and you know that. That's why I come to this site. Psychiatrists know prescription order but know nothing about side effects or tapering. You know that. 

Thanks for your advice skeeter.

Hi, 

• Administrator

Hi, tyson, your son also needs regular sleep. For some people, this is the key to managing psychotic symptoms. They are very sensitive to lack of sleep.

You are right Alto, he have hard time getting a good sleep. Most of the night, he is awake. I thought 3mg of respredon with cogenten was enough to knock him out. But it's not. We don't want add another drug . We just holding up with his psychotic night and day. Is there any thing that would calm his brain? The voice in his brain is still disturbs him. 

Hi, 

• Moderator Emeritus

Several times Alto has made this suggestion:

On 4/9/2018 at 11:23 AM, Altostrata said:

He might be okay with magnesium and fish oil, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see the effect.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator
18 hours ago, tyson said:

The voice in his brain is still disturbs him. 

A good therapist would help with that. Also see Hearing Voices Network and Will Hall for support. Will Hall is a therapist.

Thanks for your help Alto, my son still refused to get councilor for now. I will ask him again in a month.  Since he started new medicine, when is better time to begin supplements like magnesium and Omega-3.

Hi, 

Hi, All

My son is being three weeks with his new med, Risperidon now. Now second day, he started Pacing almost all day. Would anyone know why? we 

thought it might be the fast taper of zyprexa which he took for five years or Geodon which he took for a week, we just guessing. But I think it should be 

the high dose of Risperidone. including the cogentin. We have appt. tomorrow with his psychiatrist and will see what he will say. But I want to hear from the 

adm. from here. Also, he is still psychotic and that is same as before. we hoped it might subsided by now, but still there. 

this is my few days off work obsevation of him. Any input, advice. thanks

Hi, 

That is great news though if he successfully switched from Zyprexa to Risperidone(if that is what you are saying).  Many don't even get that far with a switch and get stuck on Zyprexa indefinitely.  Psychosis can mean everything from seeing hallucinations to simple have world beliefs(delusions) that most people don't agree with but may not be 100% wrong so it is rather difficult to gather what you mean from your message.  They could add another anti psychotic but a little fun fact doctors don't tell you but there is some evidence that certain anti psychotics in certain individuals can actually increase psychosis.  Meaning it could theoretically in small number of cases make the patient worse.  What is more likely is that Risperidone simply isn't working for him.

My Intro FB Zyprexa 2015-September 2018

1st time I tried to come straight off of 10mg Zyprexa I was hospitalized for insane insomnia.

Current - Abilify Maintena & L Theanine(for akathisia)

arwilliams, thanks for your help. To be clear, my son is dellusional and hears voices and fellows the commands. That really scares me more than others. His first psychiatric medicine was Respredon. Now he is back to it after more than six years. Would that be a problem? He got restless leg now. We're meeting with his doctor tomorrow. Any thing we need to say or ask. 

Hi, 

• Administrator

tyson, the restlessness could be an adverse effect called akathisia. The doctor needs to deal with this.

Hi, Alto. We just finished talking to our psychiatrist. He said we go 1mg Respirdon in the morning with 0.5mg of cogenten. At night 3mg Respredon and 1mg of cogenten up from 0.5mg cogenten.  He said we should check this for two weeks and see next step if it doesn't work. What do you think about this. Is it in the right direction or too much reduction on Respredon. How about the cogenten? Thanks

Hi,