SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Bayboy: Mirtazapine withdrawal

Bayboy

Thanks Dalsaan and Dave,

Needed to hear that, I will plan to stay at 3mg and see if I can stabilize for awhile.  Its funny when things go well for awhile and you are in a window, then all of sudden..CRASH..and we think the worse and we'll never be free.  Zero hour nights are my kryptonite obviously as i try to maintain a life, I know you can all relate to this, I will report back..off to work now…I HATE these days….fake it to ya make it I guess...

Thanks for prompt replies..

BB

<p>Dec 2012 - Some benzo's, some AD's for PTSD induced anxiety and insomnia

August 2013 - things go south with benzo (Klonipin), tolerance withdrawal, REALLY SICK, AD's (effexor/citalopram) added for "reset"!?!?, EVEN SICKER

Dec 2013 - RESEARCH begins…located Ashton manual (first breakthrough), my A-HA moment = benzo + too fast WD of other meds caused this mess...

Jan 2014 - convinced to take Mirtazapine 15-30 mg to help with Klonipin/ temazepam/ Citalopram taper, hit with wd symptoms but powered through

Feb 2014- stopped Klonopinipin (too quick taper but was destroying CNS) -, more wd symptoms but masked by Mirtazapine

March 2014 - silly ct attempt of 30mg Mirt , HORRIBLE hwd, no sleep, lasted 1 month, found this site (second breakthrough), armed with new knowledge, began proper slow taper of Mirtazapine and doing exponentially better, roughly 10% of each dose, and some long holds!

April 2014 - reinstate 7.5 mg Mirt, (30 day hold then slow taper for rest of year, took months to stabilize)

Jan 2015 - 3 mg (slow taper for rest of year)

Jan 2016 - 1.87 mg (slow taper for rest of year)

Jan 2017 - 0.37 mg (slow taper continues)

Aug 27, 2017 - 0 mg (JUMPED from 0.12 mg) - DRUG FREE!

another crap sleep, good sleep hygiene but…same pattern.  Fall asleep and wake up 1 hour later, not in a panic and not jolted awake, just wide awake.  Managed to fall back asleep finally from 230 to 430…now up.  up dosing 3 mg is clearly not working yet.  Wondering how long to hold out until I bump up further.  worried that this will not work either.  I did notice that it took along time for things to even out at 3 mg, the first time I reduced to that, the longest time yet actually in all of my taper, kind of like this dose was different from the others...

thanks people

BB

August 2013 - things go south with benzo (Klonipin), tolerance withdrawal, REALLY SICK, AD's (effexor/citalopram) added for "reset"!?!?, EVEN SICKER

Dec 2013 - RESEARCH begins…located Ashton manual (first breakthrough), my A-HA moment = benzo + too fast WD of other meds caused this mess...

Jan 2014 - convinced to take Mirtazapine 15-30 mg to help with Klonipin/ temazepam/ Citalopram taper, hit with wd symptoms but powered through

Feb 2014- stopped Klonopinipin (too quick taper but was destroying CNS) -, more wd symptoms but masked by Mirtazapine

March 2014 - silly ct attempt of 30mg Mirt , HORRIBLE hwd, no sleep, lasted 1 month, found this site (second breakthrough), armed with new knowledge, began proper slow taper of Mirtazapine and doing exponentially better, roughly 10% of each dose, and some long holds!

April 2014 - reinstate 7.5 mg Mirt, (30 day hold then slow taper for rest of year, took months to stabilize)

• Moderator Emeritus

Bayboy, hey.

Sorry to just be responding to this now. And sorry to hear that you had a repeat on the sleep issue. How about last night? Any resolution? I have experienced this choppy kind of sleep in intervals as I've cut the Mirt. Sometimes it goes a week or so, other times it's just a night or two.

You've very recently up-dosed to the 3mg. It is going to perhaps take your body some time to adjust to it. Remember just as in cutting, slow and steady is key. I think this should apply to up-dosing as well.

Like you speculated, I have found some dose levels to be more difficult to cut from and hold at. I don't know why this happens. That is to say I have made a cut from say 7.5 to 7.3 and gotten hammered, but then cut from 4.2 to 4 and been fine. I'm not sure there is a rhyme or reason behind that. It always freaks me out though until I finally do stabilize.

I still would advocate holding - especially now that you have up-dosed. Give it some time. Don't set your whole nervous system on tilt with more movement.

Hopefully this is all a moot point and last night was better sleep for you.

Hang in there.

Dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi BB

I agree with all the points Dave made. I think sometimes our system just says I've had enough of tapering and there is a tipping point of symptoms. Unfortunately we don't know that until it shows itself

Try and be patient. Have you given sleep hypnosis a go. I have an iPhone app that I listen to. It makes a difference

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi,

I wanted to let it play out for a few nights to see what happens, thanks for your patience.  After up dosing to 3 mg (which I was relatively stable at before the drop and flu), I finally got a good sleep 2 days later and felt normal again, than sleep was crap, then good, repeat etc.  So it still has not stabilized, but has not yet been a week since I returned to that particular dose.  

My mood has been good despite all this, but the dreaded cortisol has returned which had been kept at bay during a regular sleep cycle.  I am  starting to obsess about the whole thing of course.  I am wondering, is this the dose that no longer effects sleep and just causes an adverse effect?  Or, how long should I ride this out for.  I am thinking giving it another week at this dose, if the sleep corrects itself than I will hold on for a long while and give the body a break.  However, if it doesn't sort it self out, what now?  Do I up dose again (don't want to) or continue with the 10% every 4-6 weeks until I'm done.

Bayboy, hey.

Sorry to just be responding to this now. And sorry to hear that you had a repeat on the sleep issue. How about last night? Any resolution? I have experienced this choppy kind of sleep in intervals as I've cut the Mirt. Sometimes it goes a week or so, other times it's just a night or two.

You've very recently up-dosed to the 3mg. It is going to perhaps take your body some time to adjust to it. Remember just as in cutting, slow and steady is key. I think this should apply to up-dosing as well.

Like you speculated, I have found some dose levels to be more difficult to cut from and hold at. I don't know why this happens. That is to say I have made a cut from say 7.5 to 7.3 and gotten hammered, but then cut from 4.2 to 4 and been fine. I'm not sure there is a rhyme or reason behind that. It always freaks me out though until I finally do stabilize.

I still would advocate holding - especially now that you have up-dosed. Give it some time. Don't set your whole nervous system on tilt with more movement.

Hopefully this is all a moot point and last night was better sleep for you.

Hang in there.

Dave

thanks Dave, I am holding but during my taper, it has never taken this long to iron out the sleep, that's what worries me….this feels different.  Especially disturbing is the wake up 1 hour after falling asleep.  Did you ever find a particular dose that no longer aided with sleep and acted adversely?

Hi BB

I agree with all the points Dave made. I think sometimes our system just says I've had enough of tapering and there is a tipping point of symptoms. Unfortunately we don't know that until it shows itself

Try and be patient. Have you given sleep hypnosis a go. I have an iPhone app that I listen to. It makes a difference

D

Thanks Dalsaan, I have tried the various apps in the past and did not have much success with them, but am willing to try others…

Thanks for all your support.

• Moderator Emeritus

They do take some time. Give them a go every night for two weeks at least

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I am in the same boat... Weight training makes me so ill now I just can't do it.. total knocks me back the next day... Hope with time this rights itself !!!

Citalopram 15mg Feb 2009 to Feb 2013 stopped cold turkey... no withdrawal till july.. Hell on earth

Citalopram 5mg July for two weeks ... Living Hell

venlafaxin 37mg august two weeks even worst Hell

Zoloft november 2013 till Jan 2014 Hell

mirtazapine Feb for 6 weeks.. fatigue

Over the next six month tried nearly very antidepressant could not tolerate anything

tried fish oil, 5htp , nearly every herb, you name it I bought it.. system could not take anything..

Oct 2014 to November 2014 trazodone.. ooo nooo !!!

Fellow Survivors,

A few things to report….

Thankfully, I heeded the advice of some withdrawal veterans on here and held at 3 mg, re-read the post on the KISS principles and waited.  I have stabilized, sleeping and feeling great, sometimes a little euphoric.  So well in fact, that I sampled a little caffeine the other morning to see what would happen.  I switched to decaf 8 months ago but I thought I'd slightly increase the caffeine level and observe.  NO REACTION! I thought any second the cortisol/ adrenalin would flood my system but it didn't happen, felt amazing!  I have drastically changed my diet…low carb, no sugar, no processed crap, no alcohol and high fats including Coconut oil, MCT oil, grass-fed butter coupled with a light exercise regime and I think the CNS loves this style and rewarded me with a little caffeine tolerance  :) .  When things were s&*% a few weeks back, I was really strict with the above and added heart math and other meditation techniques everyday and things evened out.  The drops had caught up with me and decided to give me a swift smack upside the head.  "Ok I get it, I will slow down a little!"  

Secondly, for the benzo sufferers….

Last week marks 1 year out from Klonipin and I can honestly say, based on where I was a year prior, I have healed exponentially.  I chose to use Remeron to ease this withdrawal and am paying the price for it now, but, I would say, 90% of the horrible symptoms are gone.  I am fully functional, returned to work a long time ago and doing pretty darn well considering.  Yes, I have setbacks and have grown accustomed to those annoying floaters but compared to tolerance withdrawal (6 months) and acute withdrawal, not even close.  I had all of the horrid symptoms and most of them resolved…gone!!  

So keep pushing, keep fighting…try to find the stability that your CNS and brain require and go slow.  If your sleep deprived, withdrawal rattled brain wants to change things rapidly to fix your situation…..read the KISS post on this site, take a breath and wait it out….if that means a longer hold or slowing taper down..try to do it.  I laugh when I look at my previous posts where I was desperate…thankfully the support was here to help show me the way.  I am eternally grateful for that.  Everyone of us on this site who continue to fight have my deepest respect, you are heroes, don't forget that.

Take care

BB

• Administrator

Very good to hear, Bayboy.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Bayboy, I just wanted to mention, I had my calculator out so I ran the  numbers, and from November at 3.75 mg to Feb at 3 mg is a 20% reduction--pretty substantial at those low doses. So don't worry, I bet your CNS is just playing catchup. Give it some time. 3 mg is a pretty small dose of mirtazapine, your body has lots of room to heal and the side effects are minimal at such a low dose, so there's no rush.

And congratulations on such hearty recovery from Klonopin in a year! You're going to feel even better this time next year.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks Rhi,

Firstly for taking the time to "run the numbers" and pointing that out to me (it makes total sense) and secondly, for continuing to do what you do.  Yours is one of the few posts that I read regularly due to their uplifting and inspirational tone.  You are an amazing person and your posts have kept me going.

Take care,

BB

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

bayboy, hey.

was curious how one of my fellow mirtazapine taperers of yore was faring. if you have a chance, check-in and give the scoop. hope all is well. very!

hang in there,

dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

dave,

thanks for dropping by and checking on me brother.  all is well and nothing negative to report.  I'm down to 2.1 mg and its taken approx 1.5 yrs to get here from 7.5 mg.  that may discourage people but the point is, i'm completely functional and doing well with the slow taper.  i'm gonna keep heading downwards slowly and carefully while holding where required.  some days, i feel better than i ever have, and i'm not exaggerating.  this experience has taught me so much, and i continue to support myself in all aspects from diet, exercise, meditation etc.  the bonus of all that of course is that it improves many other aspects of life as well which oddly enough are thriving.  i'm sure there'll be more hell to pay at some point but, whatever, i'll deal with it. 

please continue to inspire with your positive and uplifting writing, its people like you that propel others forward towards health, 

thank you and I'll report back sometime in the near future

BB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bayboy,

Glad that you are doing well.

I think that it will take me a long time to get off Mirtazapine.

Reading your story gives me some hope.

The tappering cycle is relentless.

Some days it is hard to see an end to this.

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

dave,

thanks for dropping by and checking on me brother.  all is well and nothing negative to report.  I'm down to 2.1 mg and its taken approx 1.5 yrs to get here from 7.5 mg.  that may discourage people but the point is, i'm completely functional and doing well with the slow taper.  i'm gonna keep heading downwards slowly and carefully while holding where required.  some days, i feel better than i ever have, and i'm not exaggerating.  this experience has taught me so much, and i continue to support myself in all aspects from diet, exercise, meditation etc.  the bonus of all that of course is that it improves many other aspects of life as well which oddly enough are thriving.  i'm sure there'll be more hell to pay at some point but, whatever, i'll deal with it. 

please continue to inspire with your positive and uplifting writing, its people like you that propel others forward towards health, 

thank you and I'll report back sometime in the near future

BB

Great update in terms of the thoughtfulness of your approach and the results you are getting. Being functional us much more important than being off

Dalsaan

• 4 months later...

Quick update,

Today marks 2 years off benzo and  I am down to 1.5 mg Mirt.  I went through a minor wave this past December which was definitely less intense than the ones in the first year tapering.   Actually, I came out of it even better than before.  I am happy to report that sleep and mood are normal.  I have also noticed that in the past few months, my food sensitivities have actually improved and I can tolerate sugar now, although I choose to stick to a primal diet and avoid it anyway.  I also tolerate stress a lot better as well.  The only remaining side effect seems to be the visual stuff, light sensitivity and floaters, but honestly I am grateful that I have healed this much and look forward to more in the future.  

Anyways, all is well and nothing negative to report, onward we go!

Love and positive thoughts to everyone.

BB

Great update

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thanks NZ11!!

• 2 weeks later...

Uplifting and positive. Way to go Bayboy!

Well done!

When I get to 1.5mg I will have a party! :)

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

BayBoy

How are ya doing buddy...????

Is there any hope for us fellow Mirt Sufferers...??? :-)

2015 -  2016 Xanax only rescue doses of 0.125 mg 1-2 times per month
 March 2016 0.125Mg * 2 Xanax for 10 days.

20 March 2016 0.25 Mg * 2 Xanax for one week. 1 April 2016 Tranxene 5 mg and Fevarin but bad reaction for 5 days.4 April 2016 25 Mg Amitryptiline + 6 MG bromazepam at night

Started tapering Bromazepam 6 days later reached up to 3 MG in 10 days and withdrawal. Pdoc asked to go 6 MG again.

10 of May started Remeron 15 MG and started tapering Bromazepam again.

SINCE 09/06/2016 BENZO FREE - Started Tapering Remeron 04/07/2016

04/Jul/16 12.8 Mg, 11/Aug/16 12 Mg, 20/Aug/16 11Mg, 3/Sept/16 10Mg, 11/Sept/16 9 Mg, 30/Sept/16 8.1 Mg, 14/Oct/16 7.25 Mg, 17/Nov/16 6.7, 23/Nov/16 6.5, 2/Dec/16 6.25, 9/Dec/16 6Mg, 25/Dec/16 5.7Mg, 4/Jan/17 5.4Mg, 20/Jan/17 5.2Mg, 07/Feb/17 5 Mg, 15/Feb/17 4.8Mg, 27/Feb/17 4.5Mg, 15/Mar/17 4.2Mg, 23/Mar/17 4Mg, 1/Apr/17 3.7Mg, 14/Apr/17 3.4Mg, 27/Apr/17 3.1Mg, 06/May/17 2.8Mg, 22/May/17 2.6Mg, 31/May/17 2.3Mg 09/Jun/17 2Mg, 20/Jun/17 1.7Mg, 29/Jun/17 1.4Mg, 11/Jul/17 1.2Mg, 20/Jul/17 1Mg, 31/Jul/17 0.8Mg, 11/Aug/17 0.6Mg, 23/Aug/17 0.5Mg, 05/Sept/17 0.4Mg, 13/Sept/17 0.3Mg. 22/Sept/17 0.2Mg, 03/Oct/17 0.15Mg, 10/Oct/17 0.1Mg, 23/Oct/17 0.05Mg, 22/Nov/17 0.025Mg, 06/DECEMBER/2017 MIRT FREEE.

• 1 month later...

BayBoy

How are ya doing buddy...????

Is there any hope for us fellow Mirt Sufferers...??? :-)

Yes there is hope. I did it and feeling great, go to 'n1gm4 mirtazapine withdrawal' post.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

Looking for advice/ support

I wish I could post that I have recovered, but not quite yet.  Things had been moving along very well this year, I had reduced to 0.57 mg Mirt and have literally been sleeping every night since Jan 2016, minus the odd night here and there.  7 days ago, my sleep just spontaneously crashed, I had a fantastic day and then bang, it started with 4 am wake-ups and now its 2 am wake-ups with no return to sleep.  NOTE: these are not the crazy adrenalin/ cortisol wake-ups from the ghosts of remeron past, just wide awake with a noisy mind.  I won't complain about the lack of sleep, because a lot of us suffer through that and I have certainly had my share, but it is so disheartening.  Then I started to realize that my sleep seems to diminish at the same time every year no matter what dose I'm at.  Last week Nov, first week Dec sort of thing.  Why is that??  Is it seasonal (ie, SAD related)??, Is it because this was the time of year that I first crashed and was placed on medication in the first place.  I'm not sure but it is frustrating, I actually like this time of year and don't think I have any anxiety around it but I'm starting to....lol.

I had been doing so well, that I started to believe that it was not withdrawal and instead related to adrenal failure through increased cortisol, lack of Vit D, lack of sufficient lighting....so I bought a lightbox, went to a naturopath for Vit D test and Cortisol Hormone Salivary Test......etc, etc.

Sigh...Alas, I'm not sure if the above protocols will provide any insight or healing, and I may have to realize that it is once again related to withdrawal and yet another nasty wave...

So, I'm looking for some thoughts on this, I have held at 0.57 mg for 8 weeks now, the crash occurred approx 7 weeks into that dose, do I have options like updosing or just riding this latest wave out and hold, hold, hold.?

As always, any help is appreciated.  This is what I do at 3:45 am, good times.

Take care and peace to all (one day, I will write a success story, I know it)

BB

Hi Bayboy. I've been reading some of your posts. What I've noticed going down on the trazodone (I'm on mirt also) is that the really low doses affect you more, so longer holds will help this I believe. I've tried a few things when my sleep goes south, like some mag citrate, a warm bath, and even staying up 1/2 later. It seems if I am more tired when I go to sleep, the harder and longer I sleep with less chance of wakeups. Maybe try something like that and see what happens. Your sleep will improve after a while, just needs a little more time.

Marie

10/13--10/14 Ambien. Started tapering 1/14  Jumped 10/14.  Done.                                                                              

3/14        7.5 Remeron  still taking this.                              

2/14         75 Trazodone   -    Tapered by dry cutting all the way down.

1/16        4 mg Trazodone  -  Jumped. Bad mistake. Got hit with late withdrawal 6 weeks later. Reinstated.

4/16        Reinstated 1 mg, updose to 2 mg Trazodone

2/19        .04 Trazodone. Walked off.  Done.

10/3/19  Started 7.5 Mirtazapine taper cut to .073 gram weight, pill weighs .076

4/5/20    New Mirtazapine Taper - Compound Liquid 7.35 mg April '20, 7.25 mg May, 7.05 mg June, 6.99 mg June, 6.78 mg July, 6.57 mg Aug, Sept 6.35 mg, Sept 6.24 mg, Sept 6.21 mg, Oct 5.99 mg, Oct 5.90 mg, Oct 5.70 mg.

1/11/21 6.05 mg Messed up taper due to syringe change. Must remember the 1 ml syringe contains 1.5mg! 1/16/21 5.99 mg

2/21 5.75 mg, 3/21 5.6 mg, 4/7 5.45, 4/14 5.30, 5/12 5.15, 5/25/21 4.99 mg, 6/29 4.87 mg, 7/14/21 4.74 mg, 8/5 4.62 mg 8/17 4.5 mg, 8/30 4.38 mg,9/16 4.26 mg,10/9 4.14 mg, 10/23 4.05 mg, 11/6 3.96 mg,11/17 3.87mg.***Jan 22 Liquid was changed/couldn't tolerate***Changed back to pills. Feb 22/3.9 mg, 2/17/22 3.8 mg, 3/23 3.7 mg, 4/7 3.6 mg, 5/10 3.5mg,6/10/22 3.4 mg, 7/4 3.3 mg, 7/25 3.2 mg, 8/20/22 3.1 mg, 9/15 3 mg, 10/8/22 2.9 mg., 12/15 2.8 mg, 1/6/23 2.7 mg, 2/16/23 2.6 mg, 3/9 2.5 mg, 4/4 2.4 mg, 4/29/23 2.3 mg, 5/26 2.2 mg, 6/22/23 2.1 mg, 10/14 2 mg, 11/12 1.9 mg, 11/28 1.8 mg , 12/14/23 1.7, 12/31/23 1.6 mg, 1/20 1.5 mg, 2/6/24 1.4 mg, 2/12 updose 1.5 mg. Taking multi-vitamin, vit. D, cholestoff, psyllium husk, and fish oil.

Thanks Marie,

I appreciate your input, and yes, I have incorporated some of those techniques to improve sleep maitenence with some varied success over the years.  The interesting thing is, when I'm experiencing a really long window and then confronted with a wave, my default is to panic and search for non-withdrawal reasons, and/or, reach out for assistance which I know is already within myself.  It's about acceptance, that this is still withdrawal, and it to shall pass.  This pattern continues to repeat itself and I'm a slow learner.  In fact, when I'm well which is quite often, I forget the horrid symptoms altogether, which is a symptom in itself, hence the shock and frustration when it occurs.

I like your idea of staying up longer to wait for increased tiredness, which could logically contribute to a greater sleep drive and create more robust patterns.

All the best Marie, and for those suffering from Remeron WD specifically, know that I am down to 0.57 mg and with the exception of this a few bouts of insomnia, I have healed greatly and normally feel very well and sleep 7-8 hrs a night.

BB

It's my own version of sleep restriction therapy. If you can stay up even later, an hour or so. This is what I did especially with the ambien w/d. It worked and not only consolidated my sleep but gave me heavier sleep. I do the same thing when I am having w/d difficulties. I chase the symptoms and buy all of these supplements and by the time I order and get them, it's passed. So now I have a cabinet full of mostly unused supplements.

10/13--10/14 Ambien. Started tapering 1/14  Jumped 10/14.  Done.                                                                              

3/14        7.5 Remeron  still taking this.                              

2/14         75 Trazodone   -    Tapered by dry cutting all the way down.

1/16        4 mg Trazodone  -  Jumped. Bad mistake. Got hit with late withdrawal 6 weeks later. Reinstated.

4/16        Reinstated 1 mg, updose to 2 mg Trazodone

2/19        .04 Trazodone. Walked off.  Done.

10/3/19  Started 7.5 Mirtazapine taper cut to .073 gram weight, pill weighs .076

4/5/20    New Mirtazapine Taper - Compound Liquid 7.35 mg April '20, 7.25 mg May, 7.05 mg June, 6.99 mg June, 6.78 mg July, 6.57 mg Aug, Sept 6.35 mg, Sept 6.24 mg, Sept 6.21 mg, Oct 5.99 mg, Oct 5.90 mg, Oct 5.70 mg.

1/11/21 6.05 mg Messed up taper due to syringe change. Must remember the 1 ml syringe contains 1.5mg! 1/16/21 5.99 mg

2/21 5.75 mg, 3/21 5.6 mg, 4/7 5.45, 4/14 5.30, 5/12 5.15, 5/25/21 4.99 mg, 6/29 4.87 mg, 7/14/21 4.74 mg, 8/5 4.62 mg 8/17 4.5 mg, 8/30 4.38 mg,9/16 4.26 mg,10/9 4.14 mg, 10/23 4.05 mg, 11/6 3.96 mg,11/17 3.87mg.***Jan 22 Liquid was changed/couldn't tolerate***Changed back to pills. Feb 22/3.9 mg, 2/17/22 3.8 mg, 3/23 3.7 mg, 4/7 3.6 mg, 5/10 3.5mg,6/10/22 3.4 mg, 7/4 3.3 mg, 7/25 3.2 mg, 8/20/22 3.1 mg, 9/15 3 mg, 10/8/22 2.9 mg., 12/15 2.8 mg, 1/6/23 2.7 mg, 2/16/23 2.6 mg, 3/9 2.5 mg, 4/4 2.4 mg, 4/29/23 2.3 mg, 5/26 2.2 mg, 6/22/23 2.1 mg, 10/14 2 mg, 11/12 1.9 mg, 11/28 1.8 mg , 12/14/23 1.7, 12/31/23 1.6 mg, 1/20 1.5 mg, 2/6/24 1.4 mg, 2/12 updose 1.5 mg. Taking multi-vitamin, vit. D, cholestoff, psyllium husk, and fish oil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

HI BayBoy

I am in the same boat as you my friend. Have reached currently to 6MG from 15Mg that i was at the beginning of July 2016.

For me the odd nights especially during the early stages of WD were passable by just using a mix of linden + chamomile tea. I would wake up at around 2-3 am and then just take the tea and it would warranty like 2-3 hours of sleep.

Currently especially after the 7.5 mark i am not having many sleep problems... usually the odd one 3-4 days after the cut and then normalize. Anyway today i am having a bad day due to stress at work and not sleeping properly yesterday... :-)

Anyway just remember it will pass. As long as you do not have depression and life goes on just forget about 2-3 nights of no sleep. Walking like 7 km every night 2 hours before sleep, avoiding computers and currently taking 270 Mg magnesium soluble and Vitamin c as well as eating a banana makes the trick.

All the best

2015 -  2016 Xanax only rescue doses of 0.125 mg 1-2 times per month
 March 2016 0.125Mg * 2 Xanax for 10 days.

20 March 2016 0.25 Mg * 2 Xanax for one week. 1 April 2016 Tranxene 5 mg and Fevarin but bad reaction for 5 days.4 April 2016 25 Mg Amitryptiline + 6 MG bromazepam at night

Started tapering Bromazepam 6 days later reached up to 3 MG in 10 days and withdrawal. Pdoc asked to go 6 MG again.

10 of May started Remeron 15 MG and started tapering Bromazepam again.

SINCE 09/06/2016 BENZO FREE - Started Tapering Remeron 04/07/2016

04/Jul/16 12.8 Mg, 11/Aug/16 12 Mg, 20/Aug/16 11Mg, 3/Sept/16 10Mg, 11/Sept/16 9 Mg, 30/Sept/16 8.1 Mg, 14/Oct/16 7.25 Mg, 17/Nov/16 6.7, 23/Nov/16 6.5, 2/Dec/16 6.25, 9/Dec/16 6Mg, 25/Dec/16 5.7Mg, 4/Jan/17 5.4Mg, 20/Jan/17 5.2Mg, 07/Feb/17 5 Mg, 15/Feb/17 4.8Mg, 27/Feb/17 4.5Mg, 15/Mar/17 4.2Mg, 23/Mar/17 4Mg, 1/Apr/17 3.7Mg, 14/Apr/17 3.4Mg, 27/Apr/17 3.1Mg, 06/May/17 2.8Mg, 22/May/17 2.6Mg, 31/May/17 2.3Mg 09/Jun/17 2Mg, 20/Jun/17 1.7Mg, 29/Jun/17 1.4Mg, 11/Jul/17 1.2Mg, 20/Jul/17 1Mg, 31/Jul/17 0.8Mg, 11/Aug/17 0.6Mg, 23/Aug/17 0.5Mg, 05/Sept/17 0.4Mg, 13/Sept/17 0.3Mg. 22/Sept/17 0.2Mg, 03/Oct/17 0.15Mg, 10/Oct/17 0.1Mg, 23/Oct/17 0.05Mg, 22/Nov/17 0.025Mg, 06/DECEMBER/2017 MIRT FREEE.

• 2 months later...

Update,

I realize that people suffering in WD often follow our threads for hope and guidance, and, when I'm doing well, I often stay away and forget to update.  So, without going into too much detail, I am very much stable and doing well at approximately 0.37 mg Mirt with the odd setback here and there (kind of like life).  Very close to finishing the taper, but definitely in no rush, it will take as much time as necessary (I will never forget Dave ten's parachute analogy) so for anyone reading, keep fighting and lean in....I consider myself a partial success story...

BB

• Mentor

thank you SO much for stopping in with this update! it means so much to us who are still in the thick of things, to know that it will get better!!

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus

So proud of you, brother! Thank you for this update!

Hang in there,

Dave

• 5 months later...

Next Phase of Healing begins..

Jumped from 0.12 mg Mirtazapine one week ago.  Feeling good so far, but its early days yet, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks SA for getting me this far, never thought it'd happen..

Stay tuned..will update in a few months

BB

• ChessieCat changed the title to Bayboy: Mirtazapine withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Woohoo!!!  Hope it goes okay for you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks ChessieCat,

Feels amazing to get to this point with very few symptoms to report..I'm grateful to have found this community in the early days and to all the moderators and members who assisted throughout the journey.  I'm not quite ready to celebrate yet, seems so surreal, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that things will continue to go well.  But I'm in a good place right now..

Take care and all the best

BB

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bayboy

Congratulations on getting of of Mirtazapine. 

It's a big deal to get off off  that medication I wish you lots of continued and gentle healing. 

I saw your post on FreeSpirit's thread-a member who has been such a friend and resource for me- regarding histamine issues.  FreeSpirit is very knowledgeably on that topic

I did want to share that for my allergies, I have been using a Stinging Nettle tincture.  My allergies showed up this is year since I am off of Remeron/Mirtazapine.  

I found the tincture very helpful. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Hi Bayboy. I posted a reply to your questions about histamine on my thread. I tried stinging nettle, but had a bad reaction to it. Changing diet, though difficult, was one of the key things that helped me. But since we're all different, there's no guarantee. Best of luck to you and congrats in getting off the Mirt.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• 11 months later...
  • Administrator

I am happy to report Bayboy has posted a Success Story Bayboy - healed and moving forward

Congratulations, Bayboy! This calls for our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to be added to the title of your Intro topic.

As is our tradition, I will close this topic now, as Bayboy turns the page. Please add your congratulations to Bayboy's Success Story.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata locked this topic