☼ Bayboy: Mirtazapine withdrawal

Bayboy

Thank you...that made me feel much better....I'm still mad that I caved to a sleep deprived irrational brain though :-)

<p>Dec 2012 - Some benzo's, some AD's for PTSD induced anxiety and insomnia

August 2013 - things go south with benzo (Klonipin), tolerance withdrawal, REALLY SICK, AD's (effexor/citalopram) added for "reset"!?!?, EVEN SICKER

Dec 2013 - RESEARCH begins…located Ashton manual (first breakthrough), my A-HA moment = benzo + too fast WD of other meds caused this mess...

Jan 2014 - convinced to take Mirtazapine 15-30 mg to help with Klonipin/ temazepam/ Citalopram taper, hit with wd symptoms but powered through

Feb 2014- stopped Klonopinipin (too quick taper but was destroying CNS) -, more wd symptoms but masked by Mirtazapine

March 2014 - silly ct attempt of 30mg Mirt , HORRIBLE hwd, no sleep, lasted 1 month, found this site (second breakthrough), armed with new knowledge, began proper slow taper of Mirtazapine and doing exponentially better, roughly 10% of each dose, and some long holds!

April 2014 - reinstate 7.5 mg Mirt, (30 day hold then slow taper for rest of year, took months to stabilize)

Jan 2015 - 3 mg (slow taper for rest of year)

Jan 2016 - 1.87 mg (slow taper for rest of year)

Jan 2017 - 0.37 mg (slow taper continues)

Aug 27, 2017 - 0 mg (JUMPED from 0.12 mg) - DRUG FREE!

Oh...it's the wired, vigilant, hyper alert kind for sure

That describes last night perfectly. I drop off like a baby and wake up shortly after "wired, vigilant, hyper alert"

I've got a fit bit flex I wear on my wrist. As well as my steps it also monitors sleep. Restlessness and awakening. Even on bad night I get more than I think when I view fit bit online next morning.

Hang on in there.

Seroxat 1994 then Citalopram 2000- 2014 quit Citalopram CT and descended into Hell with PAWS pollydrugged on following Mirtazapine 30 mgs Seroquel 150 mgs 

Ativan 2 mgs June 2015 switched from Ativan to 20 mgs Valium Tapered-down slowly.

As of 15th March 17, I am benzo free. took 20 months to taper 20mgs Valium.

Seroquel tapered off 125mgs from 19 Sept 17 to 26 Dec. 17

current med 30mgs Mirtazapine

• Administrator

Please see our topics on sleep in the Symptoms forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have still not stabilized yet, thought i had after 10 days than crashed with poor sleep.  Got 30 min last night, cortisol related anxiety was through the roof at bedtime, nothing worked.  Feeling rough.  I figure it will take some time to even out and that staying at 7.5 mg is the best course of action, I'm just not sure if this will start to feel like my failed CT attempt, ie.  getting worse and worse.  I know that no one can answer that, but, do reinstatement at low doses also cause a non-linear pattern before it corrects itself.  For me, stabilization would be minimal symptoms and if possible 4-5 hrs sleep consistent.  My other question is, do liquid solutions react diff in the body than dry, i.e.absorbed quicker.  I only seem to ask these annoying questions when I've had a desperate, rough night!!!.  Otherwise, I try to go with the flow.

August 2013 - things go south with benzo (Klonipin), tolerance withdrawal, REALLY SICK, AD's (effexor/citalopram) added for "reset"!?!?, EVEN SICKER

Dec 2013 - RESEARCH begins…located Ashton manual (first breakthrough), my A-HA moment = benzo + too fast WD of other meds caused this mess...

Jan 2014 - convinced to take Mirtazapine 15-30 mg to help with Klonipin/ temazepam/ Citalopram taper, hit with wd symptoms but powered through

Feb 2014- stopped Klonopinipin (too quick taper but was destroying CNS) -, more wd symptoms but masked by Mirtazapine

March 2014 - silly ct attempt of 30mg Mirt , HORRIBLE hwd, no sleep, lasted 1 month, found this site (second breakthrough), armed with new knowledge, began proper slow taper of Mirtazapine and doing exponentially better, roughly 10% of each dose, and some long holds!

April 2014 - reinstate 7.5 mg Mirt, (30 day hold then slow taper for rest of year, took months to stabilize)

• Administrator

Yes, you've got it exactly, reinstatement at low doses also causes a non-linear recovery pattern before it corrects itself.

The liquid form is absorbed faster, this makes a difference for some people. If this is too much for you, one way to manage is to split the dose and take an hour or so apart.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Alto,

I will give that a try….it just seems to Rev things up much stronger than the dry format, hence the insomnia.  On a positive note, despite only 30 min or so of sleep, i don't feel the usual low mood that is normally associated with that.  I'll take that as a good sign.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Bayboy

Just wondering how you are going

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

D

Thanks for checking in.

I have had decent sleep for 4 nights and hoping it continues.  I have no other symptoms aside from the surges.  They come and go throughout the day and are exacerbated by the obvious…sugar, caffeine, stress etc.  Occasionally, but less often now, I experience a low, depressed mood but it is always consistent with the surges.  Somehow, the cortisol/adranalin dumps inversely effect Serotonin or other neurotransmitters and this happens quickly.  These surges also flare up enough to cause the "feeling" of chest constriction and shallow breathing but I know its not real so I try not to give it any attention.  The only annoying thing is, that the surges increase from 5 pm until bedtime.  I don't have the morning ones like many people report, in fact they are non-existent between 4 am and 9am so I get the best sleep then.  I think its almost 3 weeks since reinstatement but I would like to wait 4-5 weeks to see if the surges will calm down even more, if they do, than I will attempt a 10% cut, but only then.

Are you still holding at 1.6 ml?

BB

Hi Baboy and dalsaan, glad too see you feel better. We're in the same boat at 7.5 MG. I think you're right to give yourself sometime and think in weeks or months for the withdrawal. Me too, in the past have sucessfully quit both Paxil and Lexapro on my own. A super fast taper for paxil and Cold turkey Lexapro with mild to moderate withdrawal symptoms. But for a reason I dont know, I cannot quit Mirtazapine this fast and like I said I really give myself the time I need to withdraw slowly without interference with my daily life.

Have a nice evening guys.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Badboy

Glad to hear things are going reasonably well for you. Getting good sleep is great both for how you feel and healing. I am also glad to hear you aren't investing in your symptoms. I get a kind of tightness in my chest and a cough when my stress system is kicking off. I recommend you try out different ways of soothing - breathing, meditation, any others that you can find. I think it's an individual thing

You are doing so well in managing this and making good decisions for yourself

I Think I will be dropping to 1.5 soon.

N1gm, keep doing what you're doing. Slow tapering is key as you know

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• 2 weeks later...

n1

Feeling well enough to attempt my first 10% cut so I'm 3 days into 6.75 mg or .9 ml of the liquid I'm using. I feel well for now but will wait and see. Sleep and cortisol are under control so the other symptoms have lessened, but I've been burnt before so I will wait to see what this cut does. Don't feel bad about doubling your dose, I did the same thing one night and it didn't do a thing for me, just made me feel worse, consistency and patience is what I'm learning.

Please continue to post as we are in very similar situations, take care....go Habs!

BB

• Moderator Emeritus

I would stay away from anything that effects serotonin levels. 5HTP is far too likely to backfire. I tried it for a few days in early withdrawal and it actually did nothing at all for me.

Most of us have tried lots of supplements to get over withdrawal symptoms, but there's very little that helps. Because our systems are hyper-sensitive in withdrawal, most supplements have a stimulating effect which makes a person feel even worse. Time is the big, important factor in healing. There's just no way to rush through it.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Update,

Just to keep my running log going, I decreased 10% down to .9ml liquid (6.75 mg) approx 9 days ago.  Two days ago, I had some broken sleep but not too bad, started to feel cortisol more.  Last night however, EXTREME, cortisol/adrenalin dump at 130 am, no going back to sleep after that, it was brutal, first one since reinstatement, not meditation nor magnesium could touch it, I was like a hot bubbling pot of water.    It finally wore off slightly around 4 am and some light nightmarish sleep followed until 6am.  I am hoping this is just the CNS recognizing the slight decrease and HPA axis adjusting.  If anyone can relate to increased cortisol dumps with any med while tapering slowly, let me know and when it calmed down a little for you.   Otherwise, it has gone relatively smoothly.

Thanks again for your continued support.

BB

lol.  Wow.  The WD rattled brain.  I posted about this very thing after 10 days into reinstatement, that horrible sleep lasted 3-4 days.  I really should read my old posts, they definitely help to establish patterns.  It is so interesting that as we improve, we forget the horrible nights and days we had, probably a good thing. I will post when this has calmed down to refer to later.

BB

• Moderator Emeritus

lol.  Wow.  The WD rattled brain.  I posted about this very thing after 10 days into reinstatement, that horrible sleep lasted 3-4 days.  I really should read my old posts, they definitely help to establish patterns.  It is so interesting that as we improve, we forget the horrible nights and days we had, probably a good thing. I will post when this has calmed down to refer to later.

BB

It's good to look back and see how things change. It's great to have reminders that things will get better.

I hope that you feel much better very soon. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 2 months later...

Hi All!

Its been awhile since I last posted but I have returned for advice and/or suggestions.  I have stayed away from posting because the withdrawal was going reasonably well, but I continued to research and follow threads on this site particularly the mirtazapine ones.  I feel for each and everyone of you struggling with these meds and very much want to complete this taper successfully and be a resource if required…..I suppose we all do.  I take great comfort in this site and its ongoing support for people in this awful predicament.  

As far as my taper has gone, I would usually get hit with the odd day of high cortisol or a string of days filled with despair/depression but I could feel it was organic and nothing external was causing it.  It would eventually lift, I would feel better by the 4th week after a drop and down I would go.  I had mostly windows though.

When I got down to 5.25 mg and waited the 4 weeks, I dropped more conservatively to about 4.9 mg (or .65 ml as per my prepared liquid).  I have been working this entire time and have not missed a day and it has been pretty good but………….I decided to work some later shifts to see how my system would handle it.  So while on the new dose of 4.9 mg, I worked to 1 am for a few nights which worked, I still slept.  Than I tried a few shifts until 3 am and I did not sleep at all….zero.  So I quit doing those later shifts and will continue with regular hours until I am better.  But since my little experiment with the later shifts, my body has switched to a 48 hr schedule.  Meaning, I sleep great 1 night and then nothing the next.  On the poor nights, I will drift off at 4 or 5 only to be jolted awake by…..wait for it……CORTISOL and/or ADRENALIN.  1 hour is the max I get on those days.  Go figure.  Anyways, I have been stuck in this rut of every other night for about a week and I want to return to stability.  The later shift experiment was at the same time as the latest drop so I don't know which one is the culprit.  I will no longer be working that late but I am wondering whether I should return to my last stable dose which was 5.25 mg and hold for a longer time or wait it out at 4.9 mg and ride this wave out.  I know Dalsaan has mentioned that insomnia is the sign that CNS is not coping and may be time to consider up dosing.  I am keenly aware that a lot of Benzo healing is still happening as well, so I am in no rush to drop it, I just want to be functional again.

Thanks…..and I appreciate any help

BB

I had mostly windows though.

I'm going to hold onto that thought!!

Hello, Bayboy -

Just a howdy and well wishes from another Mirt-buddy :wacko: . I'll be following your progress and wishing you well along the way. I'm planning on making my first Remeron cut soon. It's a "worry," since severe insomnia is part of why I bought the ticket for this stupid ride in the first place. But going forward, I'm going to be as smart and rational as I can, and do my best not to add "fear of insomnia" to nights when I may have trouble sleeping. Easier said than done, perhaps, when one is going on one or two hours sleep, at best, but I'm determined to stay the course.

As it is now with Mirt, I get too much sleep (usually) and wake up just as fatigued as when I went to bed, plus the usual cortisol morning. Meh! Who needs that?!

I, like you, would love to (hope to, expect to!) be an eventual success story here, and am always wanting to pay back/forward the incredible support I find here.

Being such a relative newbie, I feel I don't have much to offer except empathy and peer support. I must say, though, that when I read about your experimenting with late shifts, a little shudder went down my spine. This is just me, but ever since I've been on these meds, I have had to be so careful not to vary my sleep/wake routine very much at all, or I pay for it the next day.

I, too, haven't missed a day of work because of this. There have been days when I've really wanted to, but I've been almost afraid to go down that path.

I'll leave it to others to suggest what to do about reinstatement vs. riding it out, but personally I have found what I've read here to be true for me: that the CNS in w/d really craves routine and situational stability. Best of luck to you - hoping this wave of yours subsides soon!

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

05/10/14: Joined this site.

05/11/14: Reinstated approx. 25 mg Wellbutrin (1x day)

05/14/14: Switched to 12.5 mg Wellbutrin (2x day)

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

Thanks Mirp, anyone with suggestions?

Hi Bayboy,

Nice to hear from you! You have tapered quite wisely! I did up my mirtazapine when sleep got to bad with good results. If you have not been on 4.9 mg long (1-2 weeks) going back to where you were stable sounds like a good idea. Try to stabilize everything as it was before. Avoid any stressors is important. Might try to not staying in bed to long on the night you sleep better. Makes the day longer following day and could improve the next night.

/Wulfgar

2010: Mirtazapine 30mg followed by Zopiclone 7.5 mg for sleep post surgery due to pain.
2012-> Tapering Mirtazapine and Zopiclone at different rates unsuccessfully.
2013: Hospitalized 10 days due to complete Insomnia. Forced back up to 45mg Mirtazapine, 7.5 mg Zopiclone and also Theralene 1 ml.
2013-03: Lab showed Vitamin D deficient. Found the vitamin d and insomnia connection. Supplementing vitamin d. Sleep improved by 1-2 hours
2013-04: Dropped mirtazapine to 30 due to severe side effects. Quit Theralene. Zopiclone 7.5.
2013-05 - 2013-11: Mirtazapine taper monthly 25 20 15 11 8 4 2.5 mg
2013-12 Holding M at 2.5. Need to taper Zopiclone due to daytime nausea and vomiting. Taper zopiclone 1/4 red every 5 d. Last Z 2013-12-19
2013-12-31 M:2.5. Reinstated Zopiclone 3.75 due to Insomnia
2014-01-06 M:2.5. Taper Z 1.9 ... 2014-01-14 M:2.5. Z 1 mg.
Jumped of Zopiclone 01-20. Jumped mirtazapine 02-16.

Theralene: 10mg 02-09. 8mg 03-09. 5mg 03-15. 4mg 03-24. 3mg 04-08. Jumped 04-21.
Zopiclone free for 251 days. Mirtazapine free for 224 days.

Thanks Wulfgar...good to hear from you, I up dosed to 5.25 and will hold for awhile and hopefully it corrects itself and I will try again

Hi Bayboy,

Dropping by to se how you are doing. Hope there is a change for you! It takes a few days so maybe I'm a bit to early asking..

2010: Mirtazapine 30mg followed by Zopiclone 7.5 mg for sleep post surgery due to pain.
2013: Hospitalized 10 days due to complete Insomnia. Forced back up to 45mg Mirtazapine, 7.5 mg Zopiclone and also Theralene 1 ml.
2013-03: Lab showed Vitamin D deficient. Found the vitamin d and insomnia connection. Supplementing vitamin d. Sleep improved by 1-2 hours
2013-04: Dropped mirtazapine to 30 due to severe side effects. Quit Theralene. Zopiclone 7.5.
2013-12 Holding M at 2.5. Need to taper Zopiclone due to daytime nausea and vomiting. Taper zopiclone 1/4 red every 5 d. Last Z 2013-12-19

Theralene: 10mg 02-09. 8mg 03-09. 5mg 03-15. 4mg 03-24. 3mg 04-08. Jumped 04-21.

Thanks for checking in. Yes it worked. My sleep has normalized again and I feel well, working and weight training, living life......etc. I will hold for awhile and then slowly try again, might try a micro taper similar to the brass monkey slide scale which will take the tapering to 6 weeks instead of 4. Will see how that goes. I'm trying to maintain a pace with as little disruption as possible.

Thanks for checking on me....hope you are doing well and maintaining your 5 hours per night at least.

BB

Great news BB! Be a bit careful though. You might still be a bit extra sensitive so close to a dose change.

• Moderator Emeritus

Given your recent history of CT and other withdrawal, it might be a good idea to slow down your taper. There's no point in rushing it, no particular advantage. You might try smaller cuts, 10% is a rule of thumb but many people do better with smaller.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 2 months later...

How are you doing baboy?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

tgirl and other survivors,

time for the halfway roundup from my personal experience

Actually, I have been doing fine.  I am currently at 3.75 mg and its taken roughly 6 months to get here from a 7.5 mg reinstatement.  This is a liquid taper of course.   I've had some rough moments and a few adrenalin filled sleepless nights. I've had to up dose twice and I've battled all of the usual suspect symptoms at one time or another.  But for the most part, I've resumed a normal life, I work out, play sports, go to work, go out socially, engage with many people etc. Interestingly, as I stabilize on each lower dose, I feel better and better.  Don't forget that I have some massive benzo healing happening as well so that will contribute to this overall feeling of wellness. 

But I have learned a lot through this site which is amazing, and other resources that I have studied relentlessly.  Some things that have got me this far in a relatively smooth fashion are as follows:

1)  Eliminating and avoiding anything that compromises a fragile CNS ( caffeine, sugar, alcohol, most carbs…actually I went gluten free and love it).  Staying hydrated and eating as healthy as possible.  This is essential, food is a wonderful healer.

2)  Heeding the advice of the slow taper….I am a slow learner but now am a firm believer that if you are one that is suffering a terrible withdrawal (don't worry there are lots of us) than you have no choice but to taper slowly.  I've sped up and paid the price.  10% is preached on this site and it is an excellent guide for harm reduction.

3)  Keep the body moving….fitness is key whether you are running, taking a slow walk around the block or gardening…the brain loves it and let your CNS be the guide for how much you can do but do something.

4)  Trying to stay positive…I try to look at this as my battle, my fight and I intend to win and grow from the experience.  Iatrogenic issues arising from psychotropic meds and withdrawal from them is absolutely one of the worst things any human being has to deal with.  When I beat this however, I will be that much tougher for it and will have a tremendous amount of pride.  Heck, I'm kind of feeling that way already.  A year ago, I was extremely sick and didn't have a clue why.  Now I know and have been doing something about it for awhile.

5)  Finally…the medical profession.  I'm not anti-doctor and still rely on them for things but gone is my blind faith in them.  If a doctor doesn't believe in protracted withdrawal or thinks your symptoms are made up or tells you to quickly taper off a med….its simple…get a new one…they are ignorant and refusing to look at the evidence presented to them.  Just get another one, don't waste any more time on it.  I have put stock in this site and other resources and look….one year later, I am so much better.  End of story.

I know people are interested in supplements, I only use 2 daily, liquid fish oil with Vit D and a greens supplement.  I find magnesium baths (salts) definitely calm the CNS but I don't take an oral supp because most days, I don't need to.

This is only my halfway point and it is far from over but don't ever give up, keep fighting, pay close attention to some of the advice given, do your own homework and you will get better.  

Love to all, regards

BB

• Moderator Emeritus

BB, this is so great to hear! It made my day and thank you so much for sharing it. It's a mini-success story. I know you have some way to go still but learning what you have learnt is success already.

I totally agree with all your advice and find them very helpful myself. 

lots of love back to you,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hello Bay boy thanks for your reply! I am at 7.5 and not doing so well. I am very scared and very tired.

glad your doing well! Keep me posted.

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Administrator

Good to hear from you, Bayboy. Please visit often to help others trying to go off mirtazapine.

• Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear from you and great that you're doing so well! Yay! Good job.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 1 month later...

Just readed the whole thread. How are you right now?

2005: sertraline + clorazepate until summer 2006, I quit very slowly without any problem and feeling even better.

2008 (around, I don't remember) I tried fluoxetine but leave the second day after a extrapidamidal syndrome.

2010: mirtazapine 30 mg + diazepam 10 mg, both everyday

2011: I tried to quit mirtazapine with the help of the psychiatrist, but nothing. I visit other psychiatrist and everyhing fails when escitalopram+mirtazapine and adding orfidal instead of diazepam, then I was 50mg every 12 hours of clorazepate for fix the damage of the new medication and I back to mirtazapine+diazepam.

2014: still with mirtazapine+diazepam, I quit diazepam, but then I back due I was not feeling better as I expected, I did like this: June 30/20mg, July 15/10mg, August 5mg, September just around 6 days 5mg, October 0, November 0, December back to 5/10, January same.

2015: Trying to quit mirtazapine since August, August was alternating few days between 30/22.5/15, September 22.5/15mg, October 15mg, November 15mg, December 15/7.5/0, January 15/7.5/0.

My diagnostic before 2010 (all by doctors) was depression and anxiety, in 2010 was diagnostic with depression, anxiety, avoidant personality disorder, pineal cyst and don't remember if something more.

Diagnostic since summer 2014 (all by doctors) is the same adding basal anxiety, agorofobia, anhedomia, depersonalization, derealization, hypothymia, asthenia. I will add obsesive compulsive disorder.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7869-adown-help-me-in-my-history/

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

The roller coaster has taken a steep dive.  Looking for some support and/or suggestions from the pros.  Had stabilized nicely on 3 mg and held for awhile, listened to my body and decided to make the next conservative cut.  I micro taper so I cut to 2.9 mg.  The next day, I came down with a nasty cold/ flu for about 1 week.  I still slept but was really sick, the bug was going around the household so probably a legitimate  cold and not withdrawal.  However, i healed up from that and sleep went downhill fast for a few nights, I up dosed back to 3 mg and  last night..zero hours, good times!  Basically, I fall asleep and wake up within 30 minutes.   I'm hoping to stabilize at this dose, I haven't had a zero night in months and have been tapering slowly.  If I can't stabilize, should I increase back to 3.75 mg.  I really don't' want to since I worked so hard to get here.  Otherwise, if I can't stabilize, I may have to jump (this could be my tired, irritable, lack of good judgement mind speaking here so bare with me).

take care

BB

• Moderator Emeritus

Bayboy, hey!

Good to hear from you, sleep-deprived as you are.

I can very much related to this right now. This has been the season of colds and flu for me. The most sickness I have encountered during a single season for a solid decade. You've been riding the fun-fun coaster long enough now to know that when we have contracted, suffer through, and are recovering from a viral or bacterial infection, our central nervous system - already highly primed from withdrawal no matter how stable we are - is strongly affected. It is no time to make any moves really.

The SAME thing happened to me last cut - for real. I dropped the dose, my two year old gave me a big, wet, rhinovirus-heavy kiss (the lovin' that keeps on giving!), and within a couple days my entire system was going BING BING BING! ALERT ALERT ALERT!

Personally, I think you ran into a perfect storm. Your cut coincided with the sickness that made the rounds under your roof and it just sent your system bananas - like true monkey-business!

My advice to you, and what I would do were I in your shoes, would be hold at the 3 that you just up-dosed to. And hold it until you re-calibrate - you'll know when. If I am getting the gist of the time-frame correct, you'd be about 2 weeks out from that cut to 2.9? That 2 to 3 weeks zone can be a hot-spot anyhow. At least it is for me.

You've made a ton of progress. A TON! I'd say don't let the recent spate of insomnia trip your head-space out. Don't get yourself lined-up to believe you're going to now be insomnia-man for the next 5 months. You are still in the infancy of the immediate aftermath of both a cut and a passing illness. My guess is this is going to level out for you quickly and when it does, then think about returning to that 2.9. You are doing it the right way.

So.... Be bold in the wake of that cold and just hold!

Hang in there.

Dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey BB

Sorry things have taken a dive. Whatever you do don't jump. Your nervous system can't take it

Although no sleep is devastating I would give it a couple more days before up dosing. I would Aldo hold here for a while. A micro taper can catch up with you

Did you take any other medications for the cold? Could they have upset your system?

Dalsaan