Jump to content
Maybe

Skin issues: hives, acne, dryness, itching etc.

Recommended Posts

ChessieCat

I've just done a quick google search on "antidepressant + acne" and other people have been asking the same question so it would seem that the answer might be yes.

 

If you are planning on tapering off your Prozac, please create an Intro/Update topic.  We will be able to answer your questions about your own situation as well as support you during your taper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barrebelle7

I've been searching but can't seem to find out if it's stress induced acne so coincidence or if Prozac actually causessss the acne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Junglechicken

The acne I had has finally gone, leaving me with just eczema to keep under control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JanCarol

Just a warning, doctors may be excited about some new psoriasis drugs that have achieved "approval"

 

Dr. Healy curates (and possibly writes) on Rxisk:

 

Recently approved for use downunder (avoid if at all possible) new drugs for psoriasis (if you see a doctor, s/he might be very excited about these):

 

https://rxisk.org/are-you-aware-siliq-can-cause-suicide/

https://rxisk.org/otezla-birth-defects-and-suicide/

https://rxisk.org/youll-come-a-taltzing-matilda-with-me

 

Dr. Healy says:

 

Brodalumab, aka Siliq, Apremilast, aka Otezla, and Daliresp. Prepare to hear a lot more about Phosphodiesterase antagonists and drugs acting on Interleukin 17 or 23. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Junglechicken

I've been suffering from eczema etc., for well over a year now......its on my face, neck, shoulders, scalp, arms and hands.

 

I think its a combination of hormonal changes, stress, lowered immune system, allergies.

 

Been utter hell, but I'm getting better at coping with it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
O2bhappy

I was just diagnosed with Dermatographia.  I am wondering if this is a withdrawal symptom.  I have been off Prozac for a little over two years.

 

In the end of August I started having itchy hands and feet, which I still have now.  Then in the end of September I started feeling itchy all over.  I was wondering if it was seasonal allergies so I started taking Zyrtec, it helped but made me tired.  I started to notice that when I would scratch that I would develop red lines and welts where I scratched. 

 

I went to the doctor yesterday and she said there was no know cause for the Dermatographia.  She said to take a antihistamine to help with the itching. 

 

I am extremely frustrated because I am tired of things being wrong with me.

 

I was just wondering if anyone else has experience this before.  If so, did it get better or go away?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LexAdvice

Hello all, I'm currently off Lexapro after a slow taper, took my last minuscule dose over Thanksgiving. I am currently dealing with all-over body itching that worst on my feet, on my scalp and in my armpits. The itching came out of nowhere around Halloween when I was still on Lexapro. I am not totally sure that what I am dealing with is WD related, since it's not like the itching started after I took my last dose - it was there towards the end of my taper. I'm wondering, for people on this thread who have dealt with skin issues, if they cropped up during the taper (especially at the end?) or ONLY once the medication was stopped? Please weigh in. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LexAdvice

Hello all, I'm currently off Lexapro after a slow taper, took my last minuscule dose over Thanksgiving. I am currently dealing with all-over body itching that worst on my feet, on my scalp and in my armpits. The itching came out of nowhere around Halloween when I was still on Lexapro. I am not totally sure that what I am dealing with is WD related, since it's not like the itching started after I took my last dose - it was there towards the end of my taper. I'm wondering, for people on this thread who have dealt with skin issues, if they cropped up during the taper (especially at the end?) or ONLY once the medication was stopped? Please weigh in. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
manymoretodays

Maybe both.......during the taper and then after the medication is stopped. 

 

I got an extreme itching once when very briefly on Wellbutrin........the all over body type of itching and it felt like there were bugs or something under my skin.........I also felt very agitated at the time(?akathesia).  It did seem to resolve once I was completely off the Wellbut........  Chances are I had recently come off another medication so was probably in acute W/D as well.

 

On the Lexapro...........it's been over 3 years now since I've been completely off of that.  And I do, somewhat seasonally, especially in the fall..........get what I call extrasensitive itching.........scalp, armpits, sensitive to synthetic fabrics.........stuff like that.  And then it's gone again.  Just weird.  I do usually switch hygiene products and try and switch to just loose cotton clothing as much as possible.  I take oatmeal baths, which really help as well(I don't dunk my head though).  I'm just thankful it doesn't last forever.  And it does seem to go with a bit of a more intense change in mood, for me.........anxious/obsessive/withdrawn. 

 

I have a friend who I actually laugh about it with........she gave me some of that sugar scrub to help with my yearly molting/exfoliation phase.  I think sometimes it hits in the Spring as well.

 

Best,

mmt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Junglechicken
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, LexAdvice said:

Hello all, I'm currently off Lexapro after a slow taper, took my last minuscule dose over Thanksgiving. I am currently dealing with all-over body itching that worst on my feet, on my scalp and in my armpits. The itching came out of nowhere around Halloween when I was still on Lexapro. I am not totally sure that what I am dealing with is WD related, since it's not like the itching started after I took my last dose - it was there towards the end of my taper. I'm wondering, for people on this thread who have dealt with skin issues, if they cropped up during the taper (especially at the end?) or ONLY once the medication was stopped? Please weigh in. Thanks!

 

Mine were triggered by severe stress.

 

They lasted for over a year and subsided.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Callie

I am 19 months in protracted WD and experience different types of skin issues. My concern right now has to do with skin rashes. I have many different types of them all over. Never had this problem in my life till AD WD. One of the rashes I have is an itching, burning, stinging, tingling rash on an area of my body that received radiation therapy many, many years ago. I just read on the Net that radiation dermatitis can occur years after treatments end.

 

I saw two doctors in the last two days. The first said it is postherpetic (healed shingles) neuralgia, but I don't buy that diagnosis as this rash has not gone away at all in the last two months. Besides the second doctor I saw said that in no way is my rash shingles--current or post. She really didn't know what type of rash it is and has referred me to a specialist, but my appointment isn't for another 2.5 weeks.

 

All of my skin has become extremely fragile since I've been in WD, and I know that radiation permanently changes the skin. For these reasons I'm thinking this rash might have something to do with radiation therapy. Has anyone had a rash in a previously radiated area of their body?

 

Thank you!

 

Callie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grandmaD
On 11/4/2018 at 3:18 AM, Callie said:

 

I saw two doctors in the last two days. The first said it is postherpetic (healed shingles) neuralgia, but I don't buy that diagnosis as this rash has not gone away at all in the last two months. Besides the second doctor I saw said that in no way is my rash shingles--current or post. She really didn't know what type of rash it is and has referred me to a specialist, but my appointment isn't for another 2.5 weeks.

 

All of my skin has become extremely fragile since I've been in WD, and I know that radiation permanently changes the skin. For these reasons I'm thinking this rash might have something to do with radiation therapy. Has anyone had a rash in a previously radiated area of their body?

 

Thank you!

 

Callie

I have had shingles recently - which hasn't gone away over the last 2 months.  Been back to doc several times for it plus the itching.  I notice you were told your itching was phn whereas today at docs she said my itching is not phn but just the aching and pain is phn!

 

I have not had radiation but been struggling with itching for many years now and only got severe with shingles.  Docs answer is ANOTHER A/D.

 

Back to different doc today who has prescribed a steriod cream.

 

What is happening with your itching????  Any answers.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grandmaD

What do people find helps for constant, irritating itching all over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Callie

Hi, grandmaD

 

I was away for a week and didn't check my messages.

 

On 11/12/2018 at 11:30 PM, grandmaD said:

What is happening with your itching????  Any answers.?

I'm going to see a specialist tomorrow as I have to make sure that the rash and itching isn't recurrent cancer as those are symptoms of IBC (Inflammatory Breast Cancer). Over the last couple of weeks, I've applied Benadryl cream on the area twice a day, and the rash and itching are fading. I also stopped eating pears. Now I don't know if it's the Benadryl, the pears, both, or something else that have eased the rash and itch. It does seem, however, that I'm not as itchy all over as I was when eating pears every day, so maybe pears are the culprit.

 

Thanks for answering my post, grandmaD! I'll let you know what I find out from the specialist tomorrow.

 

Callie

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
grandmaD

Callie, how did you get on?

 

I've been back yet again to doc for severe itching.  I thought it was related to the shingles, despite the fact the itching was everywhere and anywhere, all over.

 

This is the 3rd doc I've seen with this issue.  She said the shingles rash is gone so is strictly not shingles anymore but the aches and pain is constant still after several months now.  It is now called "post herpatic neuralgia".

 

I suspect this is why the previous 2 docs wanted to put me on another a/d - perhaps knowing it is going on for a long time .... but I'm still battling this one, hoping it will suddenly improve and/or go away.

 

As for the itching, she wrote a script for a steroid ointment.  The relief was overnight and absolutely amazing.  I only used it for a few days and the itching has returned now and then, but only mild.

 

The funny thing is that when I was telling my daughter, she said she has a similar itch everywhere and she suggested I use a moisturiser on a daily basis, twice a day to start, which I have done and I think this has contributed to the relief in a big way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Callie

Good to hear back from you, grandmaD!

 

Yes, I went to the specialist, and she did a skin punch biopsy. I won't get the results until next week. One good thing is that she highly doubts my rash is IBC. She said it could be dermatitis and that can be determined by the lab.

 

Sounds like itching is tormenting both of us. For me, it was one of the first symptoms I developed after the doctor tapered me too quickly off the drugs. Back then, I never got a rash. Now I itch everywhere, just like in the beginning, but some areas with rashes and some without. About a month after my fast taper I went on a low-histamine diet for a couple of months, and the itching stopped. Till today I still avoid most histamine foods. I'd say about two months ago the itching started up again though, and it's driving me insane.

 

I'm thinking two things about my itching. One, my symptoms started with itching, and maybe I've gone full circle. Maybe my symptoms will end then, stopping like they started. Two, perhaps drug toxins are being released from my body through my skin causing the itching. It's possible neither of these theories apply. Who knows!!??!!

 

One thing I'd like to know, grandmaD, is your skin different now in WD than it was before? Mine is. It stings and burns constantly on my arms and hands and is extremely hypersensitive to touch and temperature. It often turns red from the lightest touch, and the skin on my palms dents and reddens when holding anything for the shortest amount of time. The skin on my fingers are most often pruny-looking, like I've been in the water too long. I also get dermatographia (skin writing). Lastly, I end up bleeding and have scratch marks from itching on my arms, shoulders, back, and legs only, even though I itch and scratch just about everywhere. Never in my life have I ever experienced any type of skin issues until I was tapered too quickly off of the nasty drugs.

 

It sounds as if you have gotten some relief, and I sincerely hope that that continues for you, also that you heal completely. No one in this world deserves the anguish that any of us are going through.

 

Callie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryguy

I know this thread is years old but here’s my story

 

i come from a family of perfect skin, not a single cousin sibling etc has ever had even a single pimple as far as I can tell and that was me up until I came off Zoloft, it’s been 7 years of protracted withdrawal and every day is another pimple, I can feel they come on when I become psychotic or have extreme stress, I have them all over my back and face, and the insane thing is after years they have formed bad scars all over my face. This is 100 percent from Zoloft and this is what I’ve learned

 

we have been victims of the largest mental health experiment in history and our voices will not be heard because the masses don’t know it’s going on, it’s a silent war , and in a silent war shouting out won’t get you anywhere, we must mobilize, organize, and change. This is actually a civil rights movement more than anything else, we have had war waged against or bodies and our minds and our only way of fighting back is never giving up on trying to change the pharmaceutical industry and the holocaust they have brought upon the planet. This may sound hyperbolic , but these shootings in the media lately , I’m convinced all of them are on ssris or coming off , convinced, so yes holocaust isn’t an inappropriate word to use . 

 

I beg all of you fellow psychiatric warriors to realize your path is going to be one of activism and your fulfillment will come from solidarity with those who are oppressed . There you will find purpose, and there you can rise above the noise of this wicked world . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryguy
Posted (edited)

I’ve been in protracted withdrawal for 7 years. Everyone in my family has perfect skin including me until now. I was 17 when I started Zoloft, I came off at 21. Am 28 now and for every single day of those 7 years I was in protracted I had at least 6-7 pimples on my skin. It’s clearing up super slowly now as my other symptoms are clearing as well, but it’s very slow with windows and waves and I believe I’m months away from full recovery. My pimples always accompanied other symptoms like panic, gut issues, seizures etc....now my skin is filled with scars all over it, only person in my entire family like this. It’s not only disheartening, it’s made me realize once this journey is over, another journey dealing with how to manage my scars will begin. These drugs have never left me alone, and even when I recover I won’t be left alone by the damage they’ve done. I’m suicidal , but I know killing myself wont rectify anything, in fact I have no idea what awaits me after death, no idea at all, so why kill yourself? Seems like I’m stuck, and all I have left is my anger, my anger for the adults who did this to me, the authorities who misguided me, and the entire profit driven industry of big pharma. What’s insane is how little people know about this, and how long these drugs will effect you, I would have never believed such a nightmare is possible. At least I know if I ever am sent to hell, I’ll be prepared for anything that comes my w ay

 

Edited by ChessieCat
resized font

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ryguy
On 2/17/2012 at 6:49 PM, ladybug said:

Yes! I had PERFECT skin my whole life. Even during puberty I only got a few pimples. In 2006 (I was 26 years old) is when I started tapering from 37.5mg. My skin slowly started to break out and the lower in dose I got the worse it got. At one point I could count 15 active pimples at one time! Even worse is for every single pimple I get a post inflammatory hyperpigmentation scar that last several months to over a year! My skin was covered in dark marks from all the pimples. Even worse than that the other day I was plucking my eyebrows by a lamp and as I turned my face in certain direction a shadow was cast over my face and it was bumpy as if I had some indented scars! This is after I have finally gotten my acne under control using a Benzoyl Peroxide regimen every day. I still have a lot of marks that I am trying to get rid of with weekly lactic acid peels. Bottom line: WD has absolutely messed up my skin. If I truly do have indented scars those won't ever go away. Yet another reason I hate this poison.

Hey I know you wrote this 7 years ago and are probably healed by now, I hope. But I am in a very similar situation, a family of perfect skin, including me, but I’ve had acne for years due to withdrawal and have scars all over my face now, I’m still in withdrawal and it’s getting worse , the pimples always come when I have seizures or spasms and anger problems or hallucinations , my body is completely dysfunctional. My question is, did it ever get better , or do you scars now for life? I’ll understand if you don’t use the site any longer and don’t answer , but would love to know, it’s ruining my life worrying about when I finally get past withdrawal I’ll be permanently  scarred from it, literally. It’s entirely not genetic since not a single person in my family has ever gotten pimples . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
drugged
On 11/12/2018 at 11:34 PM, grandmaD said:

What do people find helps for constant, irritating itching all over?

Oatmeal baths.  Aveeno makes a 100% colloidal oatmeal product that you dissolve in bath water and soak in it.  I had horrible pruritus a few years ago with no discernible cause.  My doctor suggested this and it was very soothing.  

 

I also used sunburn gels and sprays when it was intolerable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Altostrata

If you get itching, hives, or a rash during withdrawal, it's possible that withdrawal hypersensitivity extends to your skin. Try techniques to reduce contact allergy reactions such as switch to hypoallergenic detergent, hypoallergenic soap, hypoallergenic lotions and creams. Do not use scents or scented products on your skin.

 

Out of hypersensitivity, you can develop a sun allergy as well.

 

If you get itching, hives, or a rash while taking a drug or starting a drug, it could mean you are allergic to the drug. If this is so, symptoms will usually get worse shortly after you take the drug. This means the dosage needs to be reduced or stopped. Allergic reactions to drugs can be dangerous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Longroadhome
On 11/23/2018 at 2:07 PM, Callie said:

Good to hear back from you, grandmaD!

 

Yes, I went to the specialist, and she did a skin punch biopsy. I won't get the results until next week. One good thing is that she highly doubts my rash is IBC. She said it could be dermatitis and that can be determined by the lab.

 

Sounds like itching is tormenting both of us. For me, it was one of the first symptoms I developed after the doctor tapered me too quickly off the drugs. Back then, I never got a rash. Now I itch everywhere, just like in the beginning, but some areas with rashes and some without. About a month after my fast taper I went on a low-histamine diet for a couple of months, and the itching stopped. Till today I still avoid most histamine foods. I'd say about two months ago the itching started up again though, and it's driving me insane.

 

I'm thinking two things about my itching. One, my symptoms started with itching, and maybe I've gone full circle. Maybe my symptoms will end then, stopping like they started. Two, perhaps drug toxins are being released from my body through my skin causing the itching. It's possible neither of these theories apply. Who knows!!??!!

 

One thing I'd like to know, grandmaD, is your skin different now in WD than it was before? Mine is. It stings and burns constantly on my arms and hands and is extremely hypersensitive to touch and temperature. It often turns red from the lightest touch, and the skin on my palms dents and reddens when holding anything for the shortest amount of time. The skin on my fingers are most often pruny-looking, like I've been in the water too long. I also get dermatographia (skin writing). Lastly, I end up bleeding and have scratch marks from itching on my arms, shoulders, back, and legs only, even though I itch and scratch just about everywhere. Never in my life have I ever experienced any type of skin issues until I was tapered too quickly off of the nasty drugs.

 

It sounds as if you have gotten some relief, and I sincerely hope that that continues for you, also that you heal completely. No one in this world deserves the anguish that any of us are going through.

 

Callie

Hi Callie 

did your itchy skin go away ? Did you take anything for it ? 

I have been suffering from the same 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Callie

Hello, Longroadhome,

 

I've been in protracted WD now for over 31 months, and yes, for quite a while, I had no itching whatsoever. Then a few months back, I'd say it was late August, itching resurfaced. I noticed it is a symptom I deal with now in waves. For me, no topical anti-itch products do a thing and neither do antihistamines. I don't think a low-histamine diet eases itching either. Early on I thought it did, but I added high-histamine foods back to my diet and had absolutely no itching for many, many months.

 

I cope with itching by first accepting it instead of getting all frazzled over it. I know it will pass. It does until the next wave, plus I know it will go away for good some day. So that's the psychological part of it. As for physically dealing with it, I quit scratching. Instead I just press my fingernail into the itch, and it goes away. Scratching somehow perpetuates the itch for me while pressing on it calms it down. Weird, isn't it? I guess it takes unusual measures to cope with this unusual disease. Yes, to me, that's what AD WD is--a disease.

 

Well, I want you to know I'll be thinking of you today, Longroadhome, and praying for you, too. Time heals all wounds. Keep that thought.

 

Callie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Longroadhome
2 hours ago, Callie said:

Hello, Longroadhome,

 

I've been in protracted WD now for over 31 months, and yes, for quite a while, I had no itching whatsoever. Then a few months back, I'd say it was late August, itching resurfaced. I noticed it is a symptom I deal with now in waves. For me, no topical anti-itch products do a thing and neither do antihistamines. I don't think a low-histamine diet eases itching either. Early on I thought it did, but I added high-histamine foods back to my diet and had absolutely no itching for many, many months.

 

I cope with itching by first accepting it instead of getting all frazzled over it. I know it will pass. It does until the next wave, plus I know it will go away for good some day. So that's the psychological part of it. As for physically dealing with it, I quit scratching. Instead I just press my fingernail into the itch, and it goes away. Scratching somehow perpetuates the itch for me while pressing on it calms it down. Weird, isn't it? I guess it takes unusual measures to cope with this unusual disease. Yes, to me, that's what AD WD is--a disease.

 

Well, I want you to know I'll be thinking of you today, Longroadhome, and praying for you, too. Time heals all wounds. Keep that thought.

 

Callie

Can’t thank you enough Callie for your reply . your symptoms   to the finest detail are a replica of mine and it makes me feel sooooo much better knowing it’s not here for good !!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Longroadhome
On 11/8/2019 at 12:33 PM, Callie said:

Hello, Longroadhome,

 

I've been in protracted WD now for over 31 months, and yes, for quite a while, I had no itching whatsoever. Then a few months back, I'd say it was late August, itching resurfaced. I noticed it is a symptom I deal with now in waves. For me, no topical anti-itch products do a thing and neither do antihistamines. I don't think a low-histamine diet eases itching either. Early on I thought it did, but I added high-histamine foods back to my diet and had absolutely no itching for many, many months.

 

I cope with itching by first accepting it instead of getting all frazzled over it. I know it will pass. It does until the next wave, plus I know it will go away for good some day. So that's the psychological part of it. As for physically dealing with it, I quit scratching. Instead I just press my fingernail into the itch, and it goes away. Scratching somehow perpetuates the itch for me while pressing on it calms it down. Weird, isn't it? I guess it takes unusual measures to cope with this unusual disease. Yes, to me, that's what AD WD is--a disease.

 

Well, I want you to know I'll be thinking of you today, Longroadhome, and praying for you, too. Time heals all wounds. Keep that thought.

 

Callie

Callie are you still on ADs now ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Callie

Hello, Longroadhome!

 

No, I'm not on ADs. I took my last AD on April 2, 2017, and have been in WD ever since. Long story short: Doctors had me on way too many drugs, for way too many years, and then took me off of them way too fast. I often think that I never needed any of the drugs in the first place.

 

Are you tapering, CT'd, or FT'd? Sometimes I don't think any of it makes any difference. It appears to me that taperers suffer just as much as CTers and FTers.

 

Callie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Longroadhome
40 minutes ago, Callie said:

Hello, Longroadhome!

 

No, I'm not on ADs. I took my last AD on April 2, 2017, and have been in WD ever since. Long story short: Doctors had me on way too many drugs, for way too many years, and then took me off of them way too fast. I often think that I never needed any of the drugs in the first place.

 

Are you tapering, CT'd, or FT'd? Sometimes I don't think any of it makes any difference. It appears to me that taperers suffer just as much as CTers and FTers.

 

Callie

Thanks for prompt reply Callie.

i tapered too quick and messed with meds when I should have waited to stabilise . now in severe WD. 

 

Has your WD symptoms improved with time and what symptoms did you have ? 

 

I agree its way to easy to give out generic ten a penny drugs to cure all ills!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Callie
21 hours ago, Longroadhome said:

Has your WD symptoms improved with time and what symptoms did you have ? 

 

I just want to quickly let you know that, yes, there has been much improvement for me, but I still have quite a ways to go. I know though, without a doubt, that I will completely heal from this. You will, too; that's a certainty. Patience and perseverance are going to get us to that end.

 

In regard to my symptoms, it'll take some time for me to reply to that as I have experienced so many of them. I will post my skin issues on this topic page and the rest under my signature. I will let you know when the posts are done.

 

Callie

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Longroadhome
39 minutes ago, Callie said:

 

I just want to quickly let you know that, yes, there has been much improvement for me, but I still have quite a ways to go. I know though, without a doubt, that I will completely heal from this. You will, too; that's a certainty. Patience and perseverance are going to get us to that end.

 

In regard to my symptoms, it'll take some time for me to reply to that as I have experienced so many of them. I will post my skin issues on this topic page and the rest under my signature. I will let you know when the posts are done.

 

Callie

 

 

 

 

Thank you Callie

much appreciated. 

I’m not long into my journey and it’s pretty scary so I appreciate reading about people such as yourself who are getting better . 

Good luck to you and I will wait for your post. 

Regards LRH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Callie

Hello, Longroadhome!

Here is a list of the skin issues that I have dealt with or still am dealing with in AD WD. Never had any of this in my life until my FT off of the drugs.

Sensations

Itching (Insatiable itching subsided months ago. Still have itching that comes in waves.)

Sparking sensations on arms (Went away months ago.)

Burning (Intensity has eased but still very uncomfortable, especially on arms.)

Stinging (Intensity has eased but still very uncomfortable, especially on arms.)

Stabbing (Gone)

Feeling that arms are wrapped in cactus plants (Gone)

Frozen to the bone (Felt this in my arms and hands. Now occasionally, only my hands.)

Light touches cause tickly sensation that goes directly into my head.

 

Hypersensitivity

Mostly affects fingers, hands, and arms

Extremely smooth, textureless things feel normal

Anything with the slightest texture feels like sandpaper, burlap, etc.

Perhaps tactile sensory filtering gates in my brain are always open.

 

Rashes/Skin Eruptions (Easing up on these)

Hives

Single, itchy eruptions that look just like mosquito bites

Rash erupted in 2018 on skin that had received radiation therapy over 20 years ago. This rash completely disappeared but came back recently with less intensity. It’s disappearing again.

Two very rough textured rashes. One on my arm is gone. One on leg is still there. These last for months.

 

Appearance

Fingers are most often pruny looking

Tight looking skin on palms of hands

Dermatographia

Some things like dental floss and eating utensils leave red indents on my fingers and palms that last for hours.

 

There’s probably more than this, and I can go into a heck of a lot of detail about it all. I figured I’d keep it short. If you questions though, just let me know. I still have to update my signature page with all my symptoms past and present. I’ll let you know when that’s done.

 

What symptoms are you having, Longroadhome, with skin or other?

 

Healing thoughts to you,

 

Callie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
India

Itching itching , expletive here,  itching ... After a few weeks of dosage cuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Longroadhome
On 11/16/2019 at 4:15 PM, Callie said:

Hello, Longroadhome!

 

Here is a list of the skin issues that I have dealt with or still am dealing with in AD WD. Never had any of this in my life until my FT off of the drugs.

 

 

 

Sensations

 

Itching (Insatiable itching subsided months ago. Still have itching that comes in waves.)

 

Sparking sensations on arms (Went away months ago.)

 

Burning (Intensity has eased but still very uncomfortable, especially on arms.)

 

Stinging (Intensity has eased but still very uncomfortable, especially on arms.)

 

Stabbing (Gone)

 

Feeling that arms are wrapped in cactus plants (Gone)

 

Frozen to the bone (Felt this in my arms and hands. Now occasionally, only my hands.)

 

Light touches cause tickly sensation that goes directly into my head.

 

 

 

Hypersensitivity

 

Mostly affects fingers, hands, and arms

 

Extremely smooth, textureless things feel normal

 

Anything with the slightest texture feels like sandpaper, burlap, etc.

 

Perhaps tactile sensory filtering gates in my brain are always open.

 

 

 

Rashes/Skin Eruptions (Easing up on these)

 

Hives

 

Single, itchy eruptions that look just like mosquito bites

 

Rash erupted in 2018 on skin that had received radiation therapy over 20 years ago. This rash completely disappeared but came back recently with less intensity. It’s disappearing again.

 

Two very rough textured rashes. One on my arm is gone. One on leg is still there. These last for months.

 

 

 

Appearance

 

Fingers are most often pruny looking

 

Tight looking skin on palms of hands

 

Dermatographia

 

Some things like dental floss and eating utensils leave red indents on my fingers and palms that last for hours.

 

 

 

There’s probably more than this, and I can go into a heck of a lot of detail about it all. I figured I’d keep it short. If you questions though, just let me know. I still have to update my signature page with all my symptoms past and present. I’ll let you know when that’s done.

 

 

 

What symptoms are you having, Longroadhome, with skin or other?

 

 

 

Healing thoughts to you,

 

 

 

Callie

 

Hi callie

im out at the moment and want to reply in detail to you so I’ll do this when I get home . 

Short term suffice to say for the most part I have all the sensations you have or do have 

interested in the tickle sensation you get with light touches because this has just started happening with me . 

Hives rashes bites extreme cold feeling in arms and hands have them all

and like you never had a problem before ever . 

Thank you so much for post I’ll get back to you later .

LRH 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Longroadhome

@Callie

 

Hi and thank you for detailed reply of skin issues. It helps all of us in WD. 

 

I’ll try and keep this part brief. I started my journey with poop out in August 2018. Though looking back poop out was there long before I just didn’t realise it. 

Started tapering paxil by cutting 5mg every month from Nov 2918 to Feb 2019 . 20mg to 7.5mg when I crashed.  Tried rescue dose to 8.5mg and this is where I have stayed. To help with WD symptoms doctor put me on pregabalin 150mg a day  taken in 50mg tablets morning noon night. I wasn’t happy with being on this tablet so started to wean myself off again too quickly. End of July 2019 I got to 25mg a day of pregabalin and crashed. This is when I did a cold turkey from both meds for two days . At the end of the third day I came to my senses and started taking 8.5mg of Paxil and 25mg twice daily of Pregabalin.  And this is where I have stayed for nearly 4 months . However I have now gone into what feels like protracted withdrawal. 

 

Many many symptoms 

anxiety depression agitation poor sleep tinnitus akathesia rage dry eyes brittle hair spots on face that leave pock marks dizzy spells and much more. 

Three months ago I got a UTI and took antibiotics. It came back some weeks later  and again I took antibiotics. I started to get a really bad rash incredibly itchy and scabby. These covered chest and back and lasted about two weeks. Along with the rash I started getting hives . The hives have been with me ever since. For about 9 weeks now. I’m on antihistamines . It just takes the edge off them . They come in clusters all over my body . Worse of an evening . For about the last three weeks I’ve also got what feels like nerve endings all over my body that intermittently tingle then itch for a few seconds (is this the same as your tickle sensation I wonder?) I also get the rash on skin and eruptions of “mosquito” bites. 

I have been to a dermatologist and she said because of coming of the antidepressants and having two UTIs it has made my body very sensitive and this is why I am getting the hives etc. She also said I have Dermatographia. 

And the same as you I also have burning stinging sensations that are with me every day. 

Extreme cold in arms and hands are with me too not good now the winter is here. 

 

And this is where I am at the moment.  

 

It’s  good to hear you are improving . I have a friend on the site who tells me everyone heals  from between  two and five years of being in WD. 

 

What were /are your other symptoms Callie? 

 

Sending healing thoughts your way

LRH 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sunnysideup69

A year and a half into stabilising. Since about October, I've started to get eczema under my left eye, and it then appeared on my right eyelid. Now I believe it's spreading to under my right eye. I'm just using E45 cream on it, sugar free diet, have cut out cashew nut butter in case that was causing it. It's itchy and burny. Fascinating to read this thread and see it could be from Citalopram WD.

The last time I had eczema was in my teens, so this is quite random. My skin is very dry, I'm 50 and post menopause, but I'm also attributing it to WD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy