SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Evening Primrose Oil

Christiana

I have a terrible time, with an increase in my symptoms, for about 7-10 days, around my menstrual cycle.

I read where evening primrose oil can help with PMS type symptoms.

Have any of you ladies here tried it? If so, how much have you taken and for how long? What has your reaction been?

Have you taken anything that helps? If so, what, how much, and for how long?

Jun-Jul '09 (approx 7 wks) - 5mg/day Lexapro (drug rep samples) given by family dr for long, unended, very stressful divorce

Each dose taken makes sicker, think it's just body adjusting, have no clue it's severe adverse reaction at time

Aug '09 - pharmacy gets dr rx for, insurance won't pay, I can't afford, dr changes to Celexa, decline to take, cold turkey, necessary blessing in disguise, in hindsight at least

Gradually feel some better over 1-2 wks, 3rd wk horrific withdrawal symptoms start & build, see doctor & start researching internet about what's happening, figure it out, 60-70+ severe, frightening, & debilitating symptoms emerge, realize nothing can do to feel better easily or quickly, feel like & think I'm dying, reach point where doctor gets home healthcare & have to call friend to stay with & take care of, friend abandons about 1 yr & lose home healthcare

1st yr symptoms extremely severe, 2nd yr just somewhat better, now into 3rd yr symptoms don't seem much better, still causing horrible suffering, wax & wane in severity, sometimes almost as severe as when started, practically homebound, mostly bedbound, very hard completing simple tasks, symptoms definitely much worse 7-10 days/mo around menstrual cycle

Have lost vehicle & home, plus loved cat & dog had for long time, was homeless several months last winter, lived out of car, living in undesirable gov't subsidized housing now causing many troubles, have no medical & very little rx insurance, disability check & food stamps aren't enough to provide basic needs, lack any reliable personal support anymore, very isolated & all alone, have many pressing stressful things must be done, can barely or unable to complete without help don't have, even ones to help situation some, don't even have finances to get urgent necessary needed help required to help situation & self, social services is frequently visiting now, fear being polydrugged, losing everything, put into nursing home, hope & pray someone will help to keep from happening, don't know what else to do, still way to sick to return to work & college, believe I will recover, in the meantime tho have no answers except to plead for help, hope & pray someone, anyone, who truly cares does soon

In 32nd mo now still very bad SSRI protracted withdrawal, have only seen few signs of healing since 2nd yr passed, somehow manage to keep fighting, afraid time is running out for best tho & situation only going to get worse trying to survive on own if don't get help from someone

This pretty much summarizes what 49 little round white pills (if I recall correctly) have done to my life & future for now, my before & after life are drastically opposite now, both my situation & self, if only I'd known their potential, a little bit too late now tho huh?.?.?...hindsight really is 20/20 isn't it?.?.?...

I pray God blesses and helps each and every one of us, here and elsewhere, going through this nightmare. Amen, amen, amen.

I took evening oil of primrose before withdrawal, for PMS and have continued with it during withdrawal. I think it does make a difference.

PMS made things a lot worse for me in earlier withdrawal, but this has improved a lot and doesn't affect it so badly now.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

This is not my recovery story, but rather the story of someone I came across at the following url. I hope of it will be of interest here.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Depression/Primrose-Oil-for-Depression/show/1177521

I've tried prescription anti-depressants years ago...and they barely did anything. If anything it was worse..because #1 they'd take about a week to start working.. and during that week, I personally felt worse / more ragey than before...but eventually it helped some. #2 , I had enormous food cravings. #3 very weird, electric like feeling in my head when trying to withdraw off the stuff. That alone was enough for me to never try the stuff again.

But time and time again, whenever I ever have occasional bouts of depression...and even severe depression. Primrose Oil has worked like a godsend. I even told my sister to try it , and she couldn't believe it either. Whenever i'm very irritable , angry , depressed , anxious.. I take a 1000 MG's of Primrose Oil a day...and ALL OF THAT goes away. I feel soooo calm and relaxed everyday after. It only takes a day or 2 to start working. and by the 3rd day, you'll definitely notice it.

Amazing natural drug this is. I'm 35 now and first tried it when I was like 22. I dont know WHY this drug doesn't get more national attention ? I've tried St. John Wort numerous times... everybody says thats suppose to be the #1 natural / herbal pill for depression. But its NEVER worked for me.

Evening Primrose Oil works in an amazing fashion for me. EVERY single time. I had a really bad bout last week... starting taking Primrose Oil, and I completely changed around for the better almost instantly Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this. Even 500 MG's a day is nice too. But 1000 MG's a day, you'll definitely notice it.

I'm a guy too.... so I remember reading online that this is mostly for women...to help with their PMS symptoms or whatever. But it is for soo much more.

The anti-depressing effects are amazing and soo smooth. No side effects at all.

thank god for primrose oil.

• 8 months later...

My surgeon told me to start taking these in high dosages. I went and bought a bottle of good quality oil, but now im scared to take it. Will it be ok for me to take? 

Alto do you perhaps know?

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

If you use the search function on this site you will find several members who mention taking this. You can also use Google. Ultimately it is up to you. As with all supplements, you should start at low doses at first.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I see the bottle i bought has 90 capsules and each capsule contains 1300mg oil. Is this too much to start off with?

Anyone know? I would appreciate any help

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

I have finally made it out of withdrawal after a year.  I found I was still experiencing "depression" (I put it in quotes because I'm not sure what the word means anymore) so I starting researching supplements.  I found write-ups from people who had good results with Primrose Oil.  I researched for the best brand to give it a try.  Based on what I read, 1000mg daily was a good start.  I started taking them and began to feel better within days.  Since I take several supplements and three prescriptions I fill a pill box for a two week period.  I forgot to put the Primrose Oil pills in the box and within a week I could see the difference in my mood.  I got depressed again.  I swear by these little pills.  I now take two 500mg pills in the morning and two in the evening.  I chose Solgar and I get them from Amazon.  I don't think you have anything to worry about because they are natural and are plant based.  Believe me I don't put anything into my system anymore without thorough research.  Give it a try!

1984 Started Imipramine and then was switched to Zoloft a few years later
January 2011 Abilify added to 200mgs of Zoloft. 
April 2012 Switched to Cymbalta with Abilify
May 2012 Switched to Lexapro with Ability
October 2012 stopped Abilify cold turkey
December 2012 put on Klonopin (60 days)
December 2012 put back on Zoloft 200mgs
January 2013 did a four week taper off Zoloft
Ambien CR for two years
Off Zoloft on February 15, 2013.

I take medication for diabetes, thyroid and high blood pressure.  The other supplements I take are COQ10, fish oil, and calcium.  The Primrose Oil has been a God send.

1984 Started Imipramine and then was switched to Zoloft a few years later
January 2011 Abilify added to 200mgs of Zoloft. 
April 2012 Switched to Cymbalta with Abilify
May 2012 Switched to Lexapro with Ability
October 2012 stopped Abilify cold turkey
December 2012 put on Klonopin (60 days)
December 2012 put back on Zoloft 200mgs
January 2013 did a four week taper off Zoloft
Ambien CR for two years
Off Zoloft on February 15, 2013.

• Moderator Emeritus

I took a 500 mg. gelcap daily of Evening Primrose Oil for a few months, and it didn't seem to help or hurt.  I no longer take it, but I may try again because my "recovery" seems to be rather fragile.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Olivia, why did your surgeon recommend evening primrose oil?

I merged the evening primrose oil topics to keep the wisdom in one place.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto

He said i have fibrocystic breasts and evening primrose oil helps with that and to balance my hormones out.

Is 1300mg at a time too much?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Alto

He said i have fibrocystic breasts and evening primrose oil helps with that and to balance my hormones out.

Is 1300mg at a time too much?

As with any new drug or supplement, I'd recommend taking the smallest possible dose at first to see if you have any adverse reactions. To the best of my knowledge, the smallest dose available as a capsule is 500 mg., but I believe it also comes in liquid form so you could try a small dose for a few days and then increase it if there are no problems. There are many brands offered on Amazon, so you might want to browse those before buying anything. 

I started taking 500 mg. twice a day since yesterday because Melatonin (a hormone involved with sleeping) seemed to be giving me some early morning depression, and I felt better within half an hour or so. (Of course, what I really need to do is get off the Melatonin and other things I've used for sleep so I don't need to counteract side effects with another pill.)

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Apparently there is not much scientific evidence for EPO working for PMS (you can read a review by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine here), but there seems to be plenty anecdotal evidence that it works for some women. Considering it's harmless for most people (they warn not to take it if you are taking blood thinners), I think it is worth trying!

I have read in the past that gamma-linolenic acid, the fatty acid thought to be of benefit in EPO, is one of the only Omega 6 fatty acids that helps reduce inflammation. I've taken it in the past for acne and didn't notice any difference, but will try it again for PMS and report back.

Another thing I've tried for PMS is vitex agnus castus. For some months it seemed to really work, but not this month. Also, it apparently increases your dopamine production, so that sometimes scares me. One thing it definitely does is lengthen my menstrual cycle. With perimenopause my cycle was down to about 25 days, and now it's up to 27 to 29 or even 30 days (when I was younger, my cycle was 30 to 33 days).

I've definitely noticed that I tend to get "waves" of withdrawal symptoms near the end of my cycle, so trying to level my hormones has become a priority.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I tried it for a while, it didn't seem to make any difference one way or the other for me.  We have a topic on it here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6112-evening-primrose-oil/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I take it as part of an over-arching protocol. Don't know what part it has played in that protocol working, which it has. My docs believe (whether true I can't say) that some people have a disorder where they are often intolerant of omega-3's and need more omega-6's. I read somewhere else that these people can't make omega-6's properly out of omega-3's. I eat salmon and it doesn't bother me, so I sort of lean toward the second opinion, but don't really know. I was told to take 1000-1300mg/day. What is really odd is that they believe it is most common in people of Swedish descent, Irish being #2, and there are all those cold-water fish near Sweden. I am supposedly half-Swedish, both parents, and also Scotch Irish (although that's not really Irish).

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 4 years later...
  • Mentor

This is thread hasn't had any action in a few years but I want to put in my two cents about Evening Primrose Oil (EPO). Started using 1300mg morning and night 3 weeks ago and have seen a huge difference in low moods, in that they seem to be gone or greatly diminished. I am on day 25 or so of my cycle and no suicidal dips in mood. I even had a stressful event for 48 hours regarding the bio-father and even though I was worried did not go as far down the rabbithole as I would have just months ago. Wonder how different it would have been if I had started taking this last year... but I was so afraid of any supplementation. Such a horrible, horrible time. Now I feel tentatively resilient rather than eggshell fragile.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Has anyone experienced an adverse reaction to Primrose Oil?  I had awful awful symptoms about a week before my last period—it was almost as if I had cold-turkeyed from xanax all over again.  

So I’m looking to bolster my defenses this time around when all those hormones are dumped into my system.  
Can anyone recommend a certain brand or dosage that would be good to start with? 

Thanks so much,

Cathy

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

2007-2009 Prozac, xanax, klonopin

2009-2018 Zoloft, xanax, klonopin

2019 January zoloft 150mg, February 100mg, April 75mg, mid-May 50mg, July 25mg, (xanax .5mg or .25mg as needed)

August zoloft 25mg HOLD, CT xanax, reinstate 50mg zoloft, September reinstate 100mg zoloft w/.375 klonopin, mid-September lower to 75mg zoloft

2020 January:  .125mg klonopin 

February 1st: .112mg klonopin

February 24th:  60.3mgai zoloft

2020 December 1st:  off klonopin completely

currently on 15mgai zoloft 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi dear survivors 

I think I'll give a try To Evening Primrose oil because of hard dépression during PMS. 

I think i'll start with 250mg and see what happen. (If anyone has a clue about how low this dose is To start, I'll be happy To hear ;)

@Cathy4 : Have you tried since your last post ?

Wish you all the best 

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

56 minutes ago, Erell said:

I think I'll give a try To Evening Primrose oil because of hard dépression during PMS

Hi Erell, 

I did take one tablet of 500mg (that was the lowest dosage I could find at the market I went to), but I haven’t continued with it to know whether it will help or not.  (This is because I’m in a bad wave right now and fearful to add anything in). 

My guess is 250mg would be a good low dose to start with.  Once I feel a little better, I’ll try it again and report back.  
Best of luck,

Cathy

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

2019 January zoloft 150mg, February 100mg, April 75mg, mid-May 50mg, July 25mg, (xanax .5mg or .25mg as needed)

August zoloft 25mg HOLD, CT xanax, reinstate 50mg zoloft, September reinstate 100mg zoloft w/.375 klonopin, mid-September lower to 75mg zoloft

• Moderator Emeritus

I start today with 250mg, I'll let you know how it goes 🤗

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

On 12/4/2019 at 3:14 AM, Erell said:

Hi Erell, 

Yes, please do!!!  I think maybe I should’ve started it a couple weeks ago because my symptoms have been totally intensified the last week due to the hormonal shifts.  Really unbearable.  I’m essentially non-functional a week before my period right now.  I hope it gives you some relief.  
Cathy

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

On 12/4/2019 at 11:14 AM, Erell said:

Hi @Erell, any news on this one?

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Moderator Emeritus

@Onmyway @Cathy4

Hi,

So this week I took :

- 250mg during two days

- then 500mg during two days

- Yesterday I took 750mg.

Honestly I can't tell you if it has an effect or not : what is sure is that I didn't have an adverse reaction To it.

My mood has improved this week but it is always the case after my periods, so I can't tell if evening primrose oil did something. 

It may take longer and an entire cycle for me To tell you if I noticed something or not. 

Best wishes 

Current medication :

@Erell
Thanks for the update, Erell.

That makes sense.  Perhaps I’ll slowly work it in this month as well, and see if anything improves by next month.  
Cathy

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

• Moderator Emeritus

Let's keep in touch 😙

Current medication :

11 hours ago, Erell said:

Let's keep in touch

Sounds great, Erell.  We need all the support we can get!  😊

Cathy

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

I am so glad to see this topic so recently updated on here. First of all, it's great to see that some people are getting benefit from EPO. I stumbled onto this thread accidentally but serendipitously; please keep updating it with any EPO experiences. Based on recent posts, it seems it wouldn't hurt for me to give it a try.

I am in my late 40s and sooooooo desperate to get help with my perimenopausal symptoms. Yet I've been afraid to supplement with anything, due to so many people getting further imbalanced during withdrawal nightmares. My mom swore by EPO while I was growing up and has been telling me to try it, now that it's "my turn" for hormonal shifts; she never took antidepressants and refused any prescription-based help for her hormones.

I just took my last dose of nortriptyline less than 3 weeks ago... And was on ADs way before nearing menopause, so I don't know how much of what I'm going through is "normal" for my age and how much has been aggravated by withdrawal. My periods are erratic (totally normal for my age), but I feel like the anxiety spikes are out of control during hormonal cascades. My guess is that ADs really messed this up for me.

Anyway, please keep the feedback on EPO coming. I'll be watching this thread and will post any expriences of my own, if I decide to try EPO myself.

--Current supplements: Fish oil 1000 mg x4 (split into 2 doses of 1000 mg); Vit. D 2,000 iu once daily; 2-3 tsp coconut oil daily

--3/14/20: Re-discontinued gabapentin after 2 weeks, due to agitation

--2/27/20: Reinstated Kpin .5mg and also briefly reinstated gabapentin 300mg. 2x/daily, to help with side effects (Kpin dose usually taken in a.m. between 5-8 a.m.; gabapentin once in a.m. and once around 6 p.m.)

--2/13/20: Tried reducing Kpin down to .375mg due to dysphoric side effects; tried to CT but started hallucinating again after 4 days

--1/23/20: Placed on daily .5mg dose of Klonopin

--From July 2017-Jan. 2020: PRN Klonopin 1mg. :  up to 1x/day:  sometimes weeks without it, sometimes 1-2x/week, sometimes 4-5x/week; tried to CT in Jan. 2020 and ended up in hospital with delirium and hallucinations

--November 2019: Weaned down gabapentin approx. 100 mg. per week and discontinued it

--August 7, 2019-10/18/19: Reduced Trintellix from 10mg. down to zero (insurance stopped paying for it - I couldn't afford it).

--February 2019-11/30/19: Reduced nortriptyline from 75 mg. to zero

--As of February 2019:  Meds were 10 mg. (1x/day) Trintellix, 75 mg. (1x/day) nortriptyline, and 600 mg. gabapentin

--1992 through 2018: On various cocktails of meds, starting with anafranil

3 hours ago, delsol said:

Anyway, please keep the feedback on EPO coming. I'll be watching this thread and will post any expriences of my own, if I decide to try EPO myself.

Hi Delsol, 

Definitely will do.  I just recently took the plunge and started 500mg EPO a day, but it’s too early to tell anything.  My last two premenstrual episodes have totally ramped up withdrawal symptoms, so even though I was really afraid to add anything in, I finally decided to.  

Congrats on taking your last dose of nortriptyline a few weeks ago.  I’m hoping I get there will the sertraline someday.  

Cathy

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

Thank you!  I am losing my mind for sure, with stopping my last psych med recently. I feel as if the synapses of my deep brain are just absent and cannot connect with one another to tell me I am safe in my body and grounded in myself. Hormonal shifts make it worse.

I see that you have also been on psych meds since the '90s, like myself. I am glad to see there are several of us on here who have had such long-term AD experiences. Well, I am not *glad* for our sakes that we took ADs, but I am glad we're not the only ones 😑 .

11 hours ago, Cathy4 said:

Hi Delsol, 

Definitely will do.  I just recently took the plunge and started 500mg EPO a day, but it’s too early to tell anything.  My last two premenstrual episodes have totally ramped up withdrawal symptoms, so even though I was really afraid to add anything in, I finally decided to.  

Congrats on taking your last dose of nortriptyline a few weeks ago.  I’m hoping I get there will the sertraline someday.  

Cathy

--Current supplements: Fish oil 1000 mg x4 (split into 2 doses of 1000 mg); Vit. D 2,000 iu once daily; 2-3 tsp coconut oil daily

--3/14/20: Re-discontinued gabapentin after 2 weeks, due to agitation

--2/27/20: Reinstated Kpin .5mg and also briefly reinstated gabapentin 300mg. 2x/daily, to help with side effects (Kpin dose usually taken in a.m. between 5-8 a.m.; gabapentin once in a.m. and once around 6 p.m.)

--2/13/20: Tried reducing Kpin down to .375mg due to dysphoric side effects; tried to CT but started hallucinating again after 4 days

--1/23/20: Placed on daily .5mg dose of Klonopin

--From July 2017-Jan. 2020: PRN Klonopin 1mg. :  up to 1x/day:  sometimes weeks without it, sometimes 1-2x/week, sometimes 4-5x/week; tried to CT in Jan. 2020 and ended up in hospital with delirium and hallucinations

--November 2019: Weaned down gabapentin approx. 100 mg. per week and discontinued it

--August 7, 2019-10/18/19: Reduced Trintellix from 10mg. down to zero (insurance stopped paying for it - I couldn't afford it).

--February 2019-11/30/19: Reduced nortriptyline from 75 mg. to zero

--As of February 2019:  Meds were 10 mg. (1x/day) Trintellix, 75 mg. (1x/day) nortriptyline, and 600 mg. gabapentin

--1992 through 2018: On various cocktails of meds, starting with anafranil

8 minutes ago, delsol said:

I feel as if the synapses of my deep brain are just absent and cannot connect with one another to tell me I am safe in my body and grounded in myself. Hormonal shifts make it worse.

Yes, @delsol

Rest assured I am feeling very similar.  There’s that basic feeling of safety that I rarely (if at all?) felt since my too-rapid taper from zoloft and since CTing the xanax.  I think that it’s just going to take some time, and that our brains are working to figure things out without medication (in your case) and a lower dosage (in my case).  

I’m working to develop any tools/strategies I can to calm myself.  I agree, it’s quite a challenging time.  I try and remind myself when the symptoms arise that it’s a result of the drugs, it isn’t me, and that my brain/body are healing.  
Cathy

1999-2006 Luvox, xanax

• 2 years later...

Looking to revive this thread as my periods in December and January were absolutely awful.  I went to a new primary care doctor today who completely dismissed everything I  was saying.

I recently upped to taking (2) 500mg EVO pills at night.  I was just taking 1 500mg to start.  Thinking I may soon start taking 1000mg in morning and evening.

Trying to find any and all natural ways to help PMDD.  

Starting around 2014 - 100mg Luvox / mid-August 2021 - 100mg Luvox to 50mg (30days) / mid-September 2021  - 25mg Luvox (30 days) / mid-October 2021 - Stopped completely / Tried 10mg of Prosac for 2 nights only (Dec 14-15, 2021) / Before all this in 2014, I was taking around 10mg of Lexapro for around 2-3 years

Supplements:  Chelated Magnesium / Fish Oil / Vitamin E

• 1 month later...

I also posted this in the PMDD thread, but wanted to put it here as well in hopes it helps someone.

I tried Evening Primrose Oil, but I believe it was breaking me out.  I stopped taking it more than a month ago and haven't noticed any changes in my mood.  What did help is Magnesium. 

Ever since my too fast taper from a Dr I trusted, my periods became debilitating.  

I started by changing my diet and doing yoga.  I then slowly started my supplement journey - Magnesium, Fish Oil, Vitamin E and Niacinamide.

Every since I started Magnesium, my PMDD has lessened.  My uncontrollable crying fits and rage are non-existent.  Do I still get emotional?  Yes, but it is manageable and not all consuming.  They feel like more "normal" period symptoms now.  I no longer fear my period post-withdrawals. 

Starting around 2014 - 100mg Luvox / mid-August 2021 - 100mg Luvox to 50mg (30days) / mid-September 2021  - 25mg Luvox (30 days) / mid-October 2021 - Stopped completely / Tried 10mg of Prosac for 2 nights only (Dec 14-15, 2021) / Before all this in 2014, I was taking around 10mg of Lexapro for around 2-3 years

Supplements:  Chelated Magnesium / Fish Oil / Vitamin E

• 1 year later...

I'm going to give evening prim rose a whirl , i am 2 years 3 months in wd after a adverese reaction to celexa , and entering peri menopause i think lol also going to try Magnesium , ive been holding on to the same bottle for 2 years lol scared of a reaction to it , but i think its time , also might start fish oil , i hope this thread keeps going 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy