SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

Nikki

Mod note: Relaxation exercises are great for calming the nervous system, helping to reduce anxiety and encouraging sleep. 

Examples: progressive muscle relaxation, gentle yoga, calming breathing exercises, meditation, guided visualisation, etc.  You may want to try a few kinds to see what works best for you. 

They work best when done regularly – daily is good – but if your system is very agitated then multiple times a day can be helpful.  You may have good results immediately, but don’t give up if at first they don’t seem to be doing much, as it might take a week or so to get results. 

Please post here descriptions or links to audio/video of any that people may find helpful.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Higuys...

Gentle Rain,Soothing Sounds of Nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgG4vDfcJek

I have been taking meditation classes. I do well with Guided Meditations because my mind is like the revolving door in Macy's on 34th Street in Manhattan :P

My Mindful Meditation Class is facilitated by a friend of mine who is a retired Neurologist and he guides the meditation...i't very different from TM.

I copied this link from Youtube where there are meditations. This on is about Breathing for the Fight or Flight response.....surprise :lol:

I just did it...will find more.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed video preview not showing and added link

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I really like this meditation, Nikki. Deep breathing helps much more than many people would think.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Just did the meditation. It is wonderful. I, too, have a mind that won't stop and when I "just" sit, my mind goes ballistic and I have stopped doing that kind of meditation. I find that guided meditations are very helpful now. Maybe someday I'll go back to "just" sitting. But not now. So thank you for posting this.

I would like to know: is there some way to download youtube stuff to an ipod??

Also, want to update my opinion of DBT which does use mindfulness as its base, at least that's what I'm getting from it.

I do find when I do the exercises of DBT, particularly Wise Mind, I can calm down and get into the present and stop the wild ride into the future.

So now I don't think it is all gimmicks, distractions; I think it gives me peace and hope.

That's today, anyhow.

Thanks again for being there.

FM

What is DBT? Is it a form of therapy?

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

DBT is a form of therapy. It stands for dialectical behavior therapy. It is kinder, I think, than cognitive behavior therapy in that it is based on mindfulness and radical acceptance and using your wise mind as a mediator between your emotion mind and rational mind. It gives you many "skills" you can use when you are in a difficult situation or having troublesome thoughts. At first it seemed kind of gimmicky to me but as I use the skills, I find they do help. This is the barest outline. If you Google, DBT you can get some information. Marcia Linehan is the founder of it. Originally it was used with borderline personality disorder but now it is used with many kinds of people. I took a class in Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression (Joh Kabat Zinn et al) and it has a lot of similarities but includes more than mediation/mindfulness. Hope this is of some help; see what you can find on Google though.

I did DBT for several years... this morning I was thinking about one of the techniques, which is to think of something like the covers when you are in bed, how they clothe and comfort you. It helped me get through my AM anxiety.

Thanks for the guided meditation. It helps me a bunch, too. Also meditation with movement, like Tai Chi or Chi Kung.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Hi...discovered something that is benefiting me....Lots of stress right now.

I finally bought a CD player and I bought a book with a CD from Dr. Brian Weiss on Amazon.

I think it was $4.

I put it on while laying down at bedtime, and I am feeling less anxious in the mornings.

I have alot of anxiety now with stuff going on, but I feel this is helping.

I am also continuing with Mindful Meditation. My friend who teaches it, has classes that go for 4-5 weeks, but they are very pricey for me right now. I do intend to sign up one of the days.

He is a Neurologist and does address the brain's function in all of this which is interesting.

It does work well with the Amygdala in reducing fear and the Hypocamus (if I am saying it right).

I look forward to hearing the CD at night. There are more at Amazon and the prices are good.

Hugs

If you can please read my primary post. I need some input :)

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Is that Brian Weiss the reincarnation guy?

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 10 months later...

For sleep, try listening to this video.  It works better than a pill!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLzR7gLQmw

Another video for self-healing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvF7m4gUi3o

If you don't feel like hearing words, this is part of a you tube mix of relaxing music.  The photos in this one are very relaxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRhoWQX2OF8&list=RD02TZMoS2QBc8U

Another relaxing (spiritual) music video with beautiful photos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiHP0C4EEdA

Rest, relaxation, and quiet are very helpful in healing mental illness.

2013:   (Aug) Lamictal: 75 mg (Since 2003: 25 mg  - 200 mg or more while hospitalized)

2013:  Mental Health Advance Directive completed (which I recommend to others for their own protection)

2011:  Last hospitalization:  Lamictal, Geodon, Trazadone, Celexa (even though caused me to become mania, I was given this in hospital), Prolixon (made my arms swing and my right side paralized for several minutes until I received an antidote to the poison) Prolixon also caused 6 months of toe twitching)

Celexa: caused me to become manic to the point of hospitalization above

Lamictal: since about 2003

Previously:  Lithium (gave me current disease, hypothyroidism, for which I take Levoxyl) Depakote, Wellbutrim, Paxil

Early Adulthood:  Thorazine, Trazadine, Stellazine, Haldol

Recommended video that has put me to sleep anytime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLzR7gLQmw

Recommended video to heal thyself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvF7m4gUi3o

• Administrator

Very good suggestions, aileene, thank you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 6 months later...

Bliss is a benzo survivor and has been through and healed from a heinous withdrawal...so this video is for us...knowing exactly who we are... 

A relaxing, 10 minute meditation narrated by Baylissa (Bliss) Frederick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyCAvdnBcU0

I found this video on Baylissa’s facebook page: Bloom in Wellness

recovery.jpg?w=100&h=150

Baylissa Frederick is the author of Recovery and Renewal: Your Essential Guide to Overcoming Dependency and Withdrawal from Sleeping Pills, Other ‘Benzo’ Tranquillisers and Antidepressants

She is a benzo survivor and is one of the many lovely people who has helped me greatly over the years. I wrote about the lovely cycle of peers helping one another recently. See: Peer support? This is the real thing. Free of institutionalization. (psych drug withdrawal)

She has written these posts on Beyond Meds:

More Benzo info

More Meditation posts

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

A 30 minute Guided Meditation for Calming Emotions by Jim Tolles

"In this 30 minute guided meditation, I offer you an opportunity to go deeply within along with some gentle techniques for calming emotions. Everyone's experience will change over time depending on the emotions they are facing, and some people may feel a little messier and more upset afterwards as they start to process old upset emotions that have never been faced. In this way, I encourage you to use this guided meditation multiple times to continue your exploration, release old painful emotions, and drop more deeply into your natural inner serenity and love."

I tried this about 2 hours ago, I think I got through 10 minutes of it, it put me to sleep, I just woke up.  I'm going to try again now.  I hope others find it helpful.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

oh, this guy is interesting...I've come across him before...thanks for sharing, i'm going to check it out

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 1 month later...

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/mindfulness/2014/03/5-steps-to-a-worry-cure/

A friend of mine who is a retired Neurologist teaches Mindful Meditation and posts wonderful links....this is one of them.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

How is your meditation class going? Are you still doing it?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just what I needed at the right time!  If there were such a thing as a worry-wart competition I'd have a good chance of winning it.  Thanks, Nikki.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 7 months later...

Jim tolles I'm in contact with the guy..he's really great thoroughly recommend skype sessions with him

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• 1 month later...

This seems to help me relax - it is in Icelandic so there are no recognisable words to remind me of anything. So I thought I'd post it here in case it helps anyone else. Although I haven't tried it in the worst of the worst times.

Enjoy

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ojLgN7wqc5A

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

• 2 weeks later...

This hypnotherapy helped my anxiety at 4 am, allowing me to go back to sleep

http://www.innerbalancehypnotherapy.com/Store/TransformationalMp3s/tabid/237/Default.aspx

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mCc6FO_2jtc

I hope this helps someone tonight. I'm done with my cursing. Love to you all.

This is always on standby waiting for me... for years now.

I hope it helps you too. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

In the last few months I have been using this one too... I like it for a change.... sometimes

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Useful information for coping with intense withdrawal symptoms, from Baylissa Frederick of the Bloom in Wellness FB page and the Recovery Road Project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CffPR-Xp7mw

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Thank you for posting this. Her voice is very soothing to me.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

• 1 month later...

Thought Id share something thats helped me throughout this WD and even before WD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV6swIkrFBk&list=PLuaZRqnBYUg7r5qYAu9i1BY8Pa7DOQaHJ

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Several similar topics merged.

Listening to this always makes me smile  dauphin07.gif

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several similar topics merged.

Listening to this always makes me smile  dauphin07.gif

I liked this one after I the one on the screen a choice of small thumbnails came up I tried the 8 hr one in the center which was one sound... laid back with my head phones still on and slept for an hour a half. I feel better was the sleep the sound or both I am not sure. 

Edited by Petunia
removed duplicate video

Had a car accident in 85

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I found this one last night and it put me to sleep in about 10 minutes. 

Sleep Hypnosis Relaxation Simple Guided Talkdown for Insomnia (Calm Music & Soft Ocean Waves)

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

5 of the Best Sleep Guided Meditations (Combined into one seamless recording)

This will help those who would like to hear more talking whilst going to sleep :) In this 3 hour 18 minute recording, you will hear 5 guided meditations plus at the end an extra hour of 'forest sounds with music.' PLEASE NOTE: There are no breaks in this recording. They run into each other.

You will be taken on a trip through space, into the clouds, under the ocean and finally on land into the mountains and forests.

1. Floating amongst the stars

2. Floating through the clouds meditation

3. Whale Song "The Big Blue" meditation

4. Into the Mountains Guided meditation

5. Into the forest meditation

6. Forest music (with forest sound fx)

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

When I crashed in 2008, a forum friend recommended relaxation exercises, and I found they helped me enormously with my severe akathisia, anxiety and insomnia.  The best thing I found was David Swenson's "Just Relax" yoga DVD, which I used three times a day for a while.  I also used a relaxation exercise recording by Lucinda Bassett, that I continued to use for a long time as it took only 15 minutes, so I could do it in my tea break at work. 

Looking around, I have found it hard to find recordings that I like as many do not have music (which I prefer to have), or I found the person's voice or speech patterns annoying, or I just didn't like the exercise the way they did it.  So I created my own recordings, incorporating all the things I liked, and added nice gentle music.  I finished them last year, but then got busy and forgot about them for a while.  I've put a couple up on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgOR_ZIsVpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHzYA7cFlqs

The longer one is 15 minutes long and involves some breathing and progressive muscle relaxation, so is best done lying down or reclining.  The shorter one takes only 4 minutes and is done standing, so you can do this anywhere.  (I used to do this one in the restroom at work).

Once you've learned how to do PMR, you can do it yourself without the recording - I just found that I needed the spoken instructions when in severe w/d, as I was so messed up I couldn't think straight.

I highly recommend relaxation exercises, and if you don't like mine (or if my voice annoys you), there are heaps of others there to try.  If you already have favourite relaxation exercises, please post links here.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Thank you so much, Songbird! I love PMR and I enjoyed your variation. It's lovely to hear your voice and feel like you are keeping me company while I do the exercise :)

Trying to get off Paxil since 2007. Was tapering by 0.1 mg every 4-5 weeks. Had awful crash in November 2015 at .5 mg; updosed gradually to 2 mg. 

Doing better and tapering again, much slower this time.  2016: Dropped from 2 mg to 1.62 mg.  2017:  1.62 mg to 1.2 mg. 2018: 1.2 mg to .76 mg. 2019: .76 mg to .56 mg. 2020: .56 mg to .33 mg. 2021: .33 mg to .13 mg. 2022: .13 mg to .03 mg. 6/12/23 .002 mg. OFF PAXIL 9/4/23

Started Klonopin in November 2015 to deal with crash. 1/10/16 started milk titration taper from .5 mg. Finished taper 12/6/17. Still take Klonopin for agoraphobia 2 - 3 times a week. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Rachelina, glad you liked them.  I was trying to channel Claire Weekes and her kindly aunt voice, LOL.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Songbird they're lovely , I really like your voice too.

When I had bad akathisia I had relaxation cd's running 24/7. A soothing voice does wonders even when the mind can't focus.

Thanks for sharing :)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree, you've got a lovely voice.  CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Bumping this thread for new members and adding 4 more

Sleep Hypnosis for Deep Trance Forest Dreaming (voice only) 24 minutes by Michael Sealey
Hypnosis for Self Healing Energy 43.38 minutes by Michael Sealey
Guided Sleep Talkdown with Gentle Rain 1 hour by The Honest Guys
Talisman Guided Meditation (healing from the inside out) 38 minutes by Jason Stephenson

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Moderator Emeritus

This is a wonderful bit about self-compassion, something we could all use more of!!! 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy