Whitelily: trying to withdraw from an antipsychotic (amisulpride)

whitelily

Hi scallywag, thanks very much for your post and the links.  

I've been using a digital jewellers scale to weigh my doses already.  As it's not dissolvable,  I'll see if cutting the tablet on a sheet of paper works better to catch the powder .... just waiting to see if I cope with this dose of 9mg abilify okay  which I will aim to hold for a month.  

History:- 1993: - prescribed Prozac - soon started having momentary episodes of psychosis - 1994: psychotic breakdown  - prescribed high doses of antipsychotics including Depixol, Chlorpromazine (with procyclidine to control pacing) and later prescribed olanzapine, haloperidol, risperidone with different antidepressants (relapsed or crashed each time I tried to reduce or withdraw from meds).  Can't recall all combinations of drugs have been on.   2007: amisulpride 400mg & venlafaxine 75mg    2013: Got down to 150mg amisulpride, but hospitalised with v.bad psychosis after dropping to this dose and coerced into taking 600mg (always hit problems when dropping below 200mg)  2014: reduced and then problematic symptoms of psychosis, mid-Dec - back up to 200mg,

Feb 2015 had reduced to 180.5mg crashed badly and suddenly and hospitalised : prescribed 300mg amisulpride, 10 mg aripripazole, 50 mg sertraline.  Gradually reduced to 60.75mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify only by Dec 2016.  shortly after 30/1/17 two days paranoia, held and stabilised.  made 2.5% reductions in amisulpride to get to 50mg amisulpride plus 10mg abilify.  Held for long period of time to let CNS stabilise as unable to tolerate any more reductions (from Aug 2017)   April 2018 40mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify.

Current Meds: 17.6mg amisulpride, 10mg abilify plus 2000mg metformin for type II diabetes

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update - 10% reduction of abilify has been going well. I'm really relieved and will cut by 10% of current dose on about 6th September if things continue to work out ok.  

History:- 1993: - prescribed Prozac - soon started having momentary episodes of psychosis - 1994: psychotic breakdown  - prescribed high doses of antipsychotics including Depixol, Chlorpromazine (with procyclidine to control pacing) and later prescribed olanzapine, haloperidol, risperidone with different antidepressants (relapsed or crashed each time I tried to reduce or withdraw from meds).  Can't recall all combinations of drugs have been on.   2007: amisulpride 400mg & venlafaxine 75mg    2013: Got down to 150mg amisulpride, but hospitalised with v.bad psychosis after dropping to this dose and coerced into taking 600mg (always hit problems when dropping below 200mg)  2014: reduced and then problematic symptoms of psychosis, mid-Dec - back up to 200mg,

Feb 2015 had reduced to 180.5mg crashed badly and suddenly and hospitalised : prescribed 300mg amisulpride, 10 mg aripripazole, 50 mg sertraline.  Gradually reduced to 60.75mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify only by Dec 2016.  shortly after 30/1/17 two days paranoia, held and stabilised.  made 2.5% reductions in amisulpride to get to 50mg amisulpride plus 10mg abilify.  Held for long period of time to let CNS stabilise as unable to tolerate any more reductions (from Aug 2017)   April 2018 40mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify.

Current Meds: 17.6mg amisulpride, 10mg abilify plus 2000mg metformin for type II diabetes

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, after thinking things were going well with wd, I've experienced psychosis this past week.  I don't understand why it happens so late, after the third week when doing a 10% reduction, except it must be too big a drop for me.  

So have decided to hold until stable and to try breathing exercises again, and hopefully switch to smaller reductions again.  

More positively, since that drop, I have a bit more get up and go.  

• 3 months later...

Update:   I just felt I was too fragile cutting the dose of abilify  and I started to have trouble keeping track of reductions, plus was having trouble functioning day to day.  

I do feel disappointed.  So I am back on 50mg amisulpride and 10 mg abilify.  

I believe that it is a persistent candida infection that has been causing my skin problems, and also maybe contributing to muscle weakness which I am very conscious of.  

I do want to try and get off the amisulpride completely, even if it means upping the abilify because I think its worse being on two antipsychotics, rather than one.  

All in all, I'm not sure I've made much progress - I just seem to have traded one antipsychotic for another.  I currently have a heavy cold, although I did have a flu jab recently. 

• 1 month later...

Update:  had flu like illness and am still quite run down with cough, candida and psoriasis.  Taking a multi vitamin now (past 2 days) - think i must be really depleted nutritionally and wondered if its due to antipsychotics leaching vitamins and minerals.  Having to still hold doses but considering going back to psych and asking if I can swap the amisulpride to equivalent dose of abilify.  

Also had very bad mental health glitch when pharmacist gave me aripiprazole from a different supplier.  It just didn't seem to work properly.   

Does anyone have any tips on how to get well more quickly?    Have never been this ill for so long.  Going to ask ppl at church for prayer.   

• 2 months later...

After holding for a period of time,  I began tapering the amisulpride again and  this  April am taking 40mg amisulpride and 10mg aripiprazole.  It does seem that I am still sensitive to dose reduction but much better than I was last year  -  I am holding that dose longer until my sleep is better.

I have been seeing a Christian counsellor which has been helpful.   My hair is a little better.  Candida almost cleared, but still have some psoriasis.   Diabetes has suddenly been problematic with my gp recommending a drug called Jardiance which I am very reluctant to take as it sounds so unnatural - it causes you to pee out glucose, but it looks as if they will say that I have to take something so seeing them soon to see what else they suggest. 

• 4 months later...

Checking in - now on 24mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify (plus metformin).  Have been making small reductions of 0.005 by cutting tablet on digital scale and if uneventful then continue to reduce after approx 2 weeks, otherwise hold.  

Since reducing to 24mg amisulpride I've been more wakeful at night so think I shall be holding this for a while until hopefully my sleep settles more  (because this is when vulnerable to psychosis) - going very slowly as sensitive to dose changes.  

• 4 weeks later...

Update:  now on 22mg amisulpride plus 10mg abilify.  Woke up last night to find I was really cold even though I had covers on and the bedroom itself wasn't that cold.  This is the third time this has happened at night .....I go all stiff limbed too.   Also in the day have had hot flushes but this could be menopausal.  

Still have mental health symptoms and wake in mornings aching all over but able to think more clearly than before now on reduced dose.   Went for bone density scan due to pain in limbs and back and cracked rib which happened recently.  Lost two stone in weight over the past six months so glad to be wearing a size smaller.  Sugar level came back down to 6.3 hba1c so thankfully I don't need to take the extra diabetes  drug and overall cravings have reduced.  Still have patches of sore skin which have happened since on abilify. 

Since dropping to 22mg amisulpride, have gone into depression, or perhaps more accurately, I should say into an apathetic state.  Just realised it and wondering if its anything to do with my brain having to grow ?  So taking fish oil and also taking vitamin C again.  I don't actually feel low - its been through realising that I am not keeping my home tidy and I've been comfort eating too much and lost motivation.  

Still struggling at the dose of 22mg amisulpride - brain now feels like its been switched on to alert for past two days and nights and I've realised I've had a tendency to be rather obsessively thinking about things but I'm physically tired so not being that active.  Awake for the past two nights but managed to sleep in the following morning, getting about 3/5 hours sleep.  I'm not anxious but I do feel tense.  

I'm thinking of going back up to 23mg - either that or holding 22mg for a long period of time till I stabilise.  I've also had a couple of stressors going on.  I'd be grateful to know if a mod could confirm that going back up is best?

• 1 month later...

I have been sliding the dose down by 0.001/2 dropping after one week or two as long as my sleep has been okay.  I'm now at 18.5mg of amisulpride but over the past few weeks have noticed occasional bright flashing lights and have stopped because last night I experienced jerking in my stomach area plus I woke frequently.

I've just tried to sleep again and on opening my eyes saw light shining in the room and then it was like a veil came down .   This happened several times before I realised it was my eyes rather than an actual light.

I've contacted the out of hours gp who's advised me to go in to the surgery first thing.  Apart from the possibility of it being my retinas,could it be withdrawal related?

• Moderator Emeritus

Just did a search in google:  survivingantidepressants.org flashing lights and found the following posts:

On 8/26/2011 at 10:06 PM, Gem said:

In very early withdrawal, I once woke with a start and had a really weird sensation that I can only describe as a light suddenly flashing on in my brain, and at the same time I had an intrusive thought. This only happened once.

On 8/27/2011 at 4:47 AM, Punarbhava said:

I also had the flashing white light scenario (like shooting stars popping up in mid air .........flashing all over the place but, if I remember correctly, it was just within the vision range of my left eye and only above and not below this range.

On 8/27/2011 at 8:06 AM, Maybe said:

And yes, I had something similar regarding the flashing lights. It can happen when I go to sleep and close my eyes.

And there is also this topic:  vision-symptoms-floaters-snow-blurreddimmed-vision-twitching-and-pain

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks ChessieCat - much appreciated, reading through links now....

Update: consultant eye doctor confirmed eyes appear to be fine. Because I've experienced flashing pinpricks of light in past they said it could be similar phenomena.    

• Moderator Emeritus

I actually had this happen to me about 3am.  I was sitting on the toilet in the dark with my eyes closed and I thought there was a flash of light in my left eye.  I opened my eyes to check and confirmed that it was dark and that the neighbours didn't have any lights on.  So I closed my eyes again and the same thing happened.  I've never noticed it happening before, so it may have, but when it happened I immediately thought of you.

But it's good that you got it checked out, because at least you know that there is nothing serious.

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your reassuring reply Chessie Cat.  I'm just checking in briefly to say that I had reduced the amisulpride further down, but had some stress over Christmas so I am back on the same dose of 17.6mg amisulpride again - I had made it higher still (20mg) after  concerns over how I was managing, but I was surprisingly very sensitive to the increase and became very drowsy so have settled at this dose for now.  

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped meds a week ago.   I have had an awful upset tummy and forgot to take them for a couple of nights but amazingly I felt better, slept better without them.   I realise of course that this may cause some dismay and annoyance .....I've been fine  until today when, and I don't know if this was due to tummy problems I have felt loss of energy and a bit of a blank mind.   

I didn't know what to do for the best.....what to reinstate and when as I had felt better ......given I was on 10mg abilify and 17.6 amisulpride and it's been a week without, would you think that I could reinstate at a lesser dose?

Edited by ChessieCat
removed white space

• Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for assistance.

Please do not got back on the last dose you were taking as it might be too much.

Thanks ChessieCat - I'm very grateful.   Sorry for any inconvenience. 

• Administrator

Abilify has a very long half=life, it may take several weeks before your system notices its absence.

Please let us know how you're doing, whitelilly. At the first sign of withdrawal symptoms, if any, you may wish to reinstate a very small dose, maybe 1mg Abilify.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Altostrata - I shall write anything which seems significant.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just had some mental health symptoms after some sleeplessness.  I'm thinking of reinstating the aripiprazole to half the dose of 5mg to stabilise and I'd be grateful to hear your advice.

Hi Altostrata, sorry I rushed my last post .....I'd be really grateful for advice if you think it would be okay to reinstate to 5mg aripiprazole.  I have discussed it with a friend because of a struggle lately aswell as some sleeplessness.

• Administrator

If I were you, I might try 1mg aripiprazole. There may be no need to take more than that. If it stops the symptoms, you'll want to stabilize for some months before any decreases.

Please let us know how you're doing.

PS Taking the minimal effective dosage of aripiprazole may reduce your type II diabetes to the extent you can control it with non-drug methods.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Altostrata.... . thanks for your reply.....I'll try that and see how it goes.

Hi Altostrata, things suddenly dipped but I think it was partly because I didn't have enough structure and support in my week so there was too much thinking time and I was trying to make changes which caused additional stress.

So unfortunately I've had to make an appointment with the mental health team tomorrow to own up to the situation .   This was after coming near to breaking down.

They have given me some Diazapam for tonight.

I think I do need to take something but I'm not sure what.   Imay be being referred for trauma treatment

Hi Altostrata, updating. ......still taking just a little Diazapam.    Sleeping fairly okay.   Get mentally tired and some mh symptoms As soon as I saw the team they told me not to take any antipsychotic until they referred me to a psychiatrist and now they are making me wait.  Currently spending a lot of time resting.  

I think they could possibly push for me to take much higher dose when I do eventually get appointment .   I am thinking that surely wouldn't it be sensible for me to start minimal dose asap which may be preventative and to see how that goes but when Ive seen them of course they want the psychiatrist to take control.   

I don't want to be difficult with them but surely i can reinstate a very little using medicine already prescribed without them insisting I wait a long period of time whilst they observe me.

Please would it be possible to advise again from a drug point of view ......I realise I've got myself into this predicament but I went to the mental health team as I was unsure ......do you think that 1mg would work quickly in my system in order to act preventatively?

• Administrator
On 2/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, whitelily said:

Hi Altostrata, things suddenly dipped but I think it was partly because I didn't have enough structure and support in my week so there was too much thinking time and I was trying to make changes which caused additional stress.

So unfortunately I've had to make an appointment with the mental health team tomorrow to own up to the situation .   This was after coming near to breaking down.

They have given me some Diazapam for tonight.

I think I do need to take something but I'm not sure what.   Imay be being referred for trauma treatment

What do you mean, "things dipped"? Why do you have to "own up" to a mental health team? Are you under a court order?

50 minutes ago, whitelily said:

Hi Altostrata, updating. ......still taking just a little Diazapam.    Sleeping fairly okay.   Get mentally tired and some mh symptoms As soon as I saw the team they told me not to take any antipsychotic until they referred me to a psychiatrist and now they are making me wait.  Currently spending a lot of time resting.  

I think they could possibly push for me to take much higher dose when I do eventually get appointment .   I am thinking that surely wouldn't it be sensible for me to start minimal dose asap which may be preventative and to see how that goes but when Ive seen them of course they want the psychiatrist to take control.   

I don't want to be difficult with them but surely i can reinstate a very little using medicine already prescribed without them insisting I wait a long period of time whilst they observe me.

Please would it be possible to advise again from a drug point of view ......I realise I've got myself into this predicament but I went to the mental health team as I was unsure ......do you think that 1mg would work quickly in my system in order to act preventatively?

How often have you been taking diazepam, and why? What exactly are your "mh symptoms"?

What do you mean "preventatively"? Reinstating 1mg aripiprazole probably would reduce withdrawal symptoms fairly quickly, within a few days.

However, if you have been taking an antipsychotic to control troublesome behaviors, 1mg aripiprazole might not do that. To go off drugs, you need to be able to manage your behavior yourself. You must realize if you behave inappropriately and get sent to the hospital, they'll probably give you much larger doses of drugs. This is why we encourage people to taper carefully and not tip over into being hospitalized.

Do you have any aripiprazole left? You're probably having withdrawal symptoms from having quit it. This topic explains how to take 1mg aripiprazole Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

We're not a mental health team here, we have no investment in keeping you on drugs. All we want to do is help you taper off, if you choose to. You must be able to manage your behavior and your "mh symptoms" yourself.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

What do you mean, "things dipped"? Why do you have to "own up" to a mental health team? Are you under a court order?

How often have you been taking diazepam, and why? What exactly are your "mh symptoms"?

What do you mean "preventatively"? Reinstating 1mg aripiprazole probably would reduce withdrawal symptoms fairly quickly, within a few days.

However, if you have been taking an antipsychotic to control troublesome behaviors, 1mg aripiprazole might not do that. To go off drugs, you need to be able to manage your behavior yourself. You must realize if you behave inappropriately and get sent to the hospital, they'll probably give you much larger doses of drugs. This is why we encourage people to taper carefully and not tip over into being hospitalized.

Do you have any aripiprazole left? You're probably having withdrawal symptoms from having quit it. This topic explains how to take 1mg aripiprazole Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

We're not a mental health team here, we have no investment in keeping you on drugs. All we want to do is help you taper off, if you choose to. You must be able to manage your behavior and your "mh symptoms" yourself.

Hi Altostrata.,thank you for your reply .....ĺ.mh symptoms ive had have included tension in head and neck, mainly brain getting stuck as if it's exhausted (main concern)

...trouble thinking and talking because of that at times, heart racing on one occasion,  some auditory hallucinations but I had those whilst on drugs and some sleeplessness.   At times I've also felt more tearful .....

There is no court order and no compulsory treatment

I've taken 2mg Diazapam on I think 4 separate occasions for tension.  

I don't know for sure but think the ap tablets may have impaired my judgment sometimes and definitely caused some forgetfulness which contributed to situation.

I'm okay at the moment but I contacted the mh team because a couple of friends were concerned because I got stuck trying to think things through and make decisions/plans 

and was now facing some stressors at home with major decisions.   It was really because they saw me struggle and thought it was best.  

I appreciate you're not here to manage mental health support and I realise I didn't handle this wisely and apologise if my boundaries have been off.   I'm just trying to figure out how much is withdrawal.

I do have a months supply of 10mg aripiprazole.

The antipsychotics were originally prescribed many years ago for psychosis experienced after taking an antidepressant for postnatal depression.   I believe I've had ptsd.

• Administrator

I would not call neck tension a mental health symptom. Tension, foggy brain, difficulty concentrating are typical withdrawal symptoms.

This topic explains how to take 1mg aripiprazole Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

You can make your own liquid. Let us know how you're doing.

Thanks for your reply.   I'll go see if I can do that now.   

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi whitelily, 

How are you doing?

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2014 at 9:42 PM, whitelily said:

night

Hi how r u doing

Jan 2017 to Sept 2017 -Daxid.  100mg + Sizodon 1mg 

October 2017 to Dec 2017  -T.Serilift.   100 mg

January 2018 to March2018- Trinicalm plus 5mg + Zisper plus

April 2018 to May 2018- Trinicalm plus 5mg 

Aug 2018 to Nov 2018- Daxid 50mg + Sizodon 1mg

Stopped CT in Nov 2018

May 2019 to December 2019 -300 mg gabapentin and 2.5 mg Trinicalm plus tablet-ContainsTrifluoperazine (2.5 mg) + Trihexyphenidyl (1mg)

• 6 months later...

Hello, apologies for not posting for so long.   Now on 7.5mg aripiprazole (for past two weeks) but about to go back to 10mg as have been finding things difficult just lately.   At least its less than I was on in February as not taking the amisulpride so thankful for that.    

Been a bit of a bumpy time but I don't feel able to talk about things much.   

• 11 months later...

aripiprazole withdrawal

Hi, (I've posted here previously but I'm sorry i got locked out of my account.)  

I'm taking 10mg aripiprazole (since Nov 2019) and would be very grateful for advice on the best way to taper.   I had a Gemini scale which I used to taper off amisulpride previously but it's not working any longer and the aripiprazole tablet is so small I wonder if it's best to make a suspension?

I'm also taking 2000mg metformin sukkarto for diabetes type 2 and currently 5mg ezimitibe (it's meant to increase but I'm trying plant sterols for cholesterol instead)

10mg aripiprazole 

2000mg metformin sukkarto

5mg ezimitibe

I was previously on other antipsychotics together with other medication.   Since switching to 10mg aripiprazole and staying stable I noticed improvement in some ways however the problems now seem to outweigh the benefits and I'm keen to gradually withdraw.

Edited by whitelily
added topic title

• ChessieCat changed the title to Recovering: aripiprazole / Abilify withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Recovering said:

I've posted here previously but I'm sorry i got locked out of my account.

I've sent you a PM about this.