SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jonathan

Jonathan

3 years ago i took one single dose of paxil and i had a bad reaction. My heart started beating very fast, i devolped an irregular heart rythm, i developed these muscle twitches all over my body, electric shocks in my neck, and other bizaree side effects as well. I felt like i was going to die. Does this reaction sound famliar to anyone? Could ive gone into serotonin syndrome?

I was using alot of drugs that increase serotoin a couple of monthes prior to using paxil. I might of used bath salts also a few monthes before i started paxil.

Its been three years and i STILL HAVE ALL OF THESE SYMPTOMS. I think i might of permenantley damaged my central nervous system. I wish i could smoke weed but i cant because when i do i get a bad reaction. Just by barely taking one hit i go through hell. Will i ever be able to use cannabis for medicinal purposes?

Each time i smoke or drink my symptoms get worse! i dont understand why i havent fully recovered from the paxil side effects. I STILL HAVE MUSCLE TWITCHES ALL OVER MY BODY. I hope someone here can help. I need direction. I dont know how im going to recover. The worst symptom i have is shortness of breathe. Please help

Edited by Karma
added paragraph breaks
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jonathan

I moved your post because it is more appropriate in the intro section. I do not have enough experience of severe adverse reactions to provide any info but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Do you take any other meds/supplements?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Was the single dose of Paxil the only psychiatric drug you've used? Was that the only time, three years ago, no other psych drugs used before or since? If so, this is beyond my depth as well. Have you had a complete medical workup?

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I read your note in "windows and waves." Do you have a medical condition that you need medicinal marijuana for? To my naive mind, it sounds like you might have an underlying biochemical situation that makes you both crave and overreact to psychotropic chemicals. But I know so little it is probably irresponsible for me to even write that.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I was using alot of drugs that increase serotoin a couple of monthes prior to using paxil. I might of used bath salts also a few monthes before i started paxil.

Each time i smoke or drink my symptoms get worse!

Perhaps this is the problem?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

I read your note in "windows and waves." Do you have a medical condition that you need medicinal marijuana for? To my naive mind, it sounds like you might have an underlying biochemical situation that makes you both crave and overreact to psychotropic chemicals. But I know so little it is probably irresponsible for me to even write that.

I would be cautious about proposing biochemical explanations for behavior. That comes awfully close to the whole debunked "biochemical imbalance" BS that so many of us bought into and were so harmed by. Neurochemistry is incredibly complex and poorly understood even by neuroscientists. There's a lot of popular "science" speculation in popular magazines and such, but I've never heard of scientific evidence that such a syndrome even exists (a "biochemical situation" that would cause someone to "crave and overreact to psychotropic chemicals" that is.)

Also I don't hear from the limited information that this person has given us that there is a problem with craving.

I do think that anyone who has had such a strong reaction to a single dose of an SSRI needs to stay away from them and make sure to note that in his medical history.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Administrator

Welcome, jonathan.

Some people are very sensitive to serotonergics, including recreational drugs such as LSD and MDMA. Within a few doses, they suffer severe symptoms and, when off, take a very long time to recover.

It sounds like you are one of those people, or the combination of drugs you were taking at the time made you one of these people.

We have several such folks here. They need to take care of their nervous systems the same way people do with withdrawal syndrome. See our Symptoms and Self-care forum for suggestions about how you can help your nervous system heal.

If your symptoms get worse with alcohol or marijuana, if I were you, I would not irritate it with those substances.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just hope that i havent permanently altered my central nervous system! Is this even possible? Or does it take a very long time for your central nevous system to heal? I hope that in 5 years i will fully 100% recover!

• Moderator Emeritus

I think you can heal, but you may need to limit the things you can do for a while and provide your nervous system with some extra gentle coddling and protection so it has the space and "slack" to heal. 

Jonathan a number of years back I met someone on another support group for Paxil.  He too took Paxil for a week and had an adverse reaction much like yourself.

From what I remember he followed the suggestions on recovering just as if he were tapering the drug (like the rest of us here) and he did recover.

It just took time and patience and a belief and determination to get there.....that was his strategy.

Best regards

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hey Jonathan, 

You had an adverse reaction to the drug. Forums like this one are beginning to see more and more of these. Those with adverse reactions *can* and *will* recover, but the road is a bumpy and lengthy one, as I'm sure you know already. I hope that it does get better. Any sort of drugs or supplements could impact recovery, and a lot are sensitive. How old are you? How long were you on the drugs? I know that additional drugs taken before can alter how the brain works. There was a recent article saying that mj could create brain abnormalities, which gives insight as to why you reacted like you did. Whatever you do, avoid drugs of any kind and take it easy. 

-theelt712

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

• Administrator

FWIW, I think that imaging study on marijuana's effects on the brain is hogwash. MJ can scramble you up temporarily, though.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I see where you are coming from, but it may provide context...

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."