SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Addax: 30 years with Fluoxetine and tapering

Addax

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the link, Alto. I'm following your recommendation starting tomorrow.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

I feel like I've been spending too much time reading and posting on this site over the last few days. I've found myself with some unexpected down time this week, and a non-serious, but painful injury that's forcing me to be more sedentary than usual. I hope I'm not being patronizing with all my posts of late. I just find a great deal of comfort here and have learned SO much since joining SA.

As long as I'm here:

I almost don't want to write it... but since I last wrote I except for an hour or so three days ago I don't think I've experienced any overt withdrawal symptoms. This is great, right? But I can't enjoy it. I'm constantly anticipating being slammed by an unexpected flood of symptoms, in particular Akathasia. Anticipation may not even be the right word... A more appropriate word is fear. I'm scared. I'm scared of that almost paralyzingly anxiety, shivering and cold feeling, and the physical agitation, restlessness, and tension of Akathasia. I dread the idea of experiencing the pressure feeling and clenching of my jaw, and the strange feeling of intense self-consciousness and disconnection from everyone and everything around me, and the horrible fatigue.

Admittedly, this time around with what I lovingly refer to as my turtle-taper, those things have been minor or in some cases, even nonexistent... So far. But that doesn't mean they won't suddenly emerge w/o warning, right?

So here I am feeling both stable... And scared. Very scared.

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope I'm not being patronizing with all my posts of late. I just find a great deal of comfort here and have learned SO much since joining SA.

Not at all, your posts have been very helpful and supportive.  We are happy to have you here.  This is a peer support forum, so with  knowledgeable members, supporting and helping each other, the better it is.

I almost don't want to write it... but since I last wrote I except for an hour or so three days ago I don't think I've experienced any overt withdrawal symptoms. This is great, right? But I can't enjoy it. I'm constantly anticipating being slammed by an unexpected flood of symptoms, in particular Akathasia....

Admittedly, this time around with what I lovingly refer to as my turtle-taper, those things have been minor or in some cases, even nonexistent... So far. But that doesn't mean they won't suddenly emerge w/o warning, right?

Now that you have reinstated and are tapering slowly, its very possible you wont experience the extreme symptoms again.  This is why we spend so much time trying to get new members to reinstate and taper properly.  If you can keep the nervous system stable and supported, reducing the drug gradually, then its possible to come off medication without too much suffering or disruption to daily life.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Please be very regular in your dosing. You'll get an idea of your own symptom pattern and be better able to manage it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Petu, I hope that possibility becomes fact. And when it does, I hope I believe it. Unfortunately, I happened upon a blog about Prozac withdrawal earlier... It was not the ray of hope I was hoping for.

Thank for the reassurance that my chiming in isn't patronizing. I'm so thrilled to have found this site and the people that are a part of it. I just want to read everything, and explore everyone's journey. I'm amazed over and over again by how similar so many of our experiences are, how many people are struggling as a result of these drugs... And how many people out there are going through it not know what's happening, having no idea about withdrawal, and not knowing about this site or others like it.

Alto: Turtle slow and clockwork regular, that's what will get me through this!

• Administrator

You've got it, Addax.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Addax,

I understand why you are happy to find this community.   I think for us we live our lives in parallel universes sometimes - parallel to those around us that are not going through withdrawal and struggle to understand and parallel to the medical profession which presents a version of reality that does not match our experience.   Finding people that can truly empathize with our situation is affirming to say the least.

I also welcome your contributions and the support you provide to other members

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Dalsaan-

Thank you for stoping by!

Affirmation, validation, education, reassurance, guidance, and the opportunity to help provide some of those things to others... Yes, those are definitely some of the reasons why I'm happy to have found this community.

:)

Hi Addax, just wanted to say hi as someone who has taken bottles and bottles of Prozac and Wellbutrin. And a little bit of Cymbalta that made me crazy. Anyway, just wanted to make sure you have been introduced to the concept of "cortisol mornings." It is part of the autonomic disturbances that probably are also the cause of your dizziness. You're doing great!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Meimeiquest!

Thanks for dropping by.

Unfortunately I'm well acquainted with cortisol... It has dropped by many a morning for breakfast, then refused to leave for hours after having worn out it's welcome within a millisecond of it's arrival.  In fact, it's knocking on the door as I write this.  It's visit is somewhat unexpected this morning as it hasn't been by in nearly a week.  Although I've been anticipating it's arrival, it's still very unwelcome here!

In stead of letting it in, I'm going pet my dog and gaze in his eyes... I know this sounds silly (and maybe even a bit creepy), but there is a significant amount of research suggesting that petting an animal (or skin-to-skin contact), particularly one that you are bonded to, increases a person's Oxytocin, the chemical that counters cortisol.  Eye contact with an animal or person with whom someone is bonded can have the same effect.  

If petting and staring at my dog's eyes doesn't work, I'll may have to exercise (I really don't want to today).  I know exercise can increase Cortisol levels, but for me it seems that intense exercise causes my cortisol level to surpass the level causing my anxiety... in my head I feel like I"ve taken control of the cortisol.  When I'm done exercising the cortisol decreases, and by that time the cortisol that had been producing my anxiety just goes along with it.  This is not at all based on science or research as far as I know, it's like my own head game I play with myself that seems to work for me.  I got the idea from the a relaxation exercise in which you tense the muscles in your body intensely for several seconds then release them.  The resulting relaxation in the muscle is deeper than it had been prior to creating the tension. The relaxation technique is tried and true, the "cortisol technique" is made up by and works for me.  

If I look back and try to find a pattern for my cortisol encounters they seem to correlate with the work week. It's present but illusive on Sundays, at it's worst Mondays, then degrades as the rest of the week continues.  Monday the 5th was the last day I had experienced wd symptoms... until today. A Monday.  I guess I should find some comfort in knowing that, although the cortisol mornings in and of themselves are not within my control so far as withdrawal is concerned, there must be some intellectual component to the level I experience since it follows the stress of the work week... even though right now I work from home and don't conform to a work week :).  I guess that's not entirely out of the norm... I still expect to be able to go on vacation for three months every summer even though that hasn't been the case since high-school.

Bouncing on an exercise ball or rocking has been helpful in the past, but mostly when my anxiety was accompanied by Akathasia.  I also have no idea where I put my exercise ball and my sofa doesn't provide the same satisfactory bounce. 

So... that was way more than I intended to write, but there it is, one more entry in my electronic journal. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Grrrr....

I went a week with almost no wd symptoms.Then, as I wrote, I began to feel it's onset Monday morning. It subsided by late afternoon, but I've had it every morning since, along with some mild body tension and jaw pressure as well as some difficulty being able to sit sill or focused on something like reading. . The anxiety causes me to feel easily overwhelmed by tasks I need to complete for work, and I end up putting them off. Except for Monday the symptoms dissipate by early afternoon, but this week it's left me too tired really be able to get done in the afternoon what I didn't get done in the morning. I'm lucky in that, although uncomfortable and disheartening, they are for the most part tolerable. I'm an expert at hiding my symptoms and appearing as if nothing is going on... That being said, if I weren't working at home right now, I don't know if that would be the case. The anxiety does make my work difficult, so that's probably adding to the anxiety... Creating a stupid loop.

Its funny how the return of symptoms automatically make me wonder if I'll always have to deal with this, an idea that... Contributes to the anxiety as well. Maybe my body and brain are trying to remind me that regardless of how well I felt last week, I'm not out of the

woods yet. Thanks body and brain, but I don't need a reminder... But if you must, Please just leave a sticky-note on the fridge next time.

I am able to remind myself that "this too shall pass" and that what I'm feeling is real; that my anxiety driven thoughts and sense of urgency are simply just thoughts. Sometimes what I have to ask myself, "ok, what evidence do I have that what I'm thinking right now... What I believe to be true at this moment... Is true?" Usually, I have no evidence to back up my anxious thoughts. Actually, I almost never do, even when I try really hard to justify my thinking. Right now, as I write this I'm trying to repeat in my head, "this is withdrawal, this is withdrawal, this is withdrawal..." Writing this and trying to think that seems to be helping right now...

• Moderator Emeritus

I hate withdrawal. Hate it. But maybe it's a good sign. Maybe withdrawal is the brain actively healing. The window is rest, and the wave is our brain, neurotransmitters, and all the things that make up our CNS, back at work with power tools working on renovations.

As time goes on the window get longer because these guys have has less work to do, so they don't feel it's necessary to work as often or as hard, and also have to wait for some of the glue to dry. They probably also want to allow some time for testing to make sure the structure holds before they continue on. Not being able to anticipate all stresses or clumsy, annoying visitors (like cortisol) they likely have to make adjustments and revisions. Some major, some minor, all disruptive. This of course doesn't account for the conflicting interest, power struggles, and fights for self-preservation among these laborers in our CNS. Serotonin, with all the attention it gets is probably the most guilty of self aggrandizing, which likely alienates many, makes the working relationship difficult, and probably slows progress. Who knows if the Serotonin in our gut and in our brains even like each other! That battle is probably what accounts for the gastrointestinal issues some of us experience. Cortisol, a likely narcissist, gets up earlier than any of the others, and since the early bird gets the worm... We know how that goes. If only Oxytocin would set it's alarm clock for earlier! I guess Oxytocin isn't really an alarmist, so probably doesn't recognize the need.

Anyway... That's how I sometimes picture what's going on. :-P

• Moderator Emeritus

Grrrr....

I went a week with almost no wd symptoms.Then, as I wrote, I began to feel it's onset Monday morning. It subsided by late afternoon, but I've had it every morning since, along with some mild body tension and jaw pressure as well as some difficulty being able to sit sill or focused on something like reading. . The anxiety causes me to feel easily overwhelmed by tasks I need to complete for work, and I end up putting them off. Except for Monday the symptoms dissipate by early afternoon, but this week it's left me too tired really be able to get done in the afternoon what I didn't get done in the morning. I'm lucky in that, although uncomfortable and disheartening, they are for the most part tolerable. I'm an expert at hiding my symptoms and appearing as if nothing is going on... 

Hi Addax, 

I liked your bit of creative writing on our topic very much :)

You also so very well describe my situation at work: putting a lot of energy into hiding and keeping up a brave front. Also feel like I accomplish a lot more in the afternoon. Mornings are more or less totally unproductive but I manage to catch up. (mostly).

Now I see you put in your sign: late April 2014 found SA. It was such a milestone for me that I should definitely have to do the same :)

hope this wave leaves you soon. leaving a post it would definitely be a lot more polite :)

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

This is a very good digression that deserves its own topic in Symptoms! A mod can split off the relevant posts in this topic to start a new topic if y'all want.

• Administrator

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal entry number...?  

Okay, first an update

... so three days since my "I hate withdrawal" statement and wondering if I'll always have to deal with withdrawal... maybe it wasn't even wondering.  It was more like believing I was going to have to deal with it, but hoping I was wrong.

I am sometimes able to remind myself that "this too shall pass".  That being said, I don't always believe it.  I am able, today, to say, "that too did pass."  Friday, Saturday, and today were relatively symptom free.  I say "relatively" because I can feel a little flutter anxious flutter in my chest as I right this.  This flutter, however, is likely directly related to the extra 12oz of coffee I drank this morning, because the flutter wasn't present prior to that.  ARG!! I really don't want to give up coffee!!  I know, I know... If I love it so much, switch to decaf.  Maybe someday I will, but not during this withdrawal.  While part of my reluctance to give up my coffee is just pure juvenile stubbornness, the other (likely smaller) part is wanting to keep as many things constant during withdrawal.  I'm also wondering if it's the wellbutrin that maybe causing the morning anxiety. I still have to say, that current withdrawal has been nothing like my last attempt.  Nothing.

Now, I feel like it's okay to taper a bit:

As advised I am holding stable at 9mg of fluoxetine.  I am planning to decrease my wellbutrin starting tomorrow.  I have been on wellbutrin less than a year.  I'm not sure whether that plays into the taper plan.  I read the wellbutrin tapering post.  It said some people do fine with a 50% reduction, other's with 25%.  I know generally speaking 10% reduction is recommended for tapering.  

My last reduction from 150 to 75 seemed to go fairly well, though I had reduced it along with the fluoxetine.  I did have symptoms, though they still did not come close to touching the intensity of my last withdrawal attempt.  Not wanting to be overly confident, I'm thinking I'll do a 25% reduction.  That would come out to be approximately 23.13mg 2x/day.  

How does that sound?

• Administrator

Since your nervous system is already stressed from drug changes, you might want to be a bit more conservative with your Wellbutrin taper.

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay Alto. I will listen to reason, fight my current overconfidence, and stick to the 10% rule of thumb.

• Moderator Emeritus

Venting before I officially start my "work" day.

The following quote is something I posted about side effects I experienced while taking Prozac. I posted it just over a month ago. After being here on SA and reading various things I now realize what I described is akathisia (finally spelling it correctly). The realization made me angry... Or really, more angry at the drug, the makers and the prescribers. I don't really know why it seems to matter more now, just because I'm able to put a name to it.

-repetitive movement with my foot. Not like a nervous bounce or shake and not like TD. I was unaware I was doing it, but could stop doing it if it was pointed out. And then eventually I became cognizant of when I was doing it and would stop. It may have been a nervousness twitch of sorts?

Here, prior to have a name for it, I'm describing part of my withdrawal... Again, Akathisia.

The anxiety is probably the worst part of the withdrawal for me because it's manifests itself physically, and all though I feel anxious and worried, there really isn't an emotional component. My body is very tense, my jaw tenses, I shiver/shake, and get a very uncomfortable physical feeling along my back. Almost like that uncomfortable feeling you get when you've been sitting in the same position for a long time that makes you change you're position or cross your legs the other way, except that doing that doesn't really help.

I don't know why having a name for these things has reignighted some of my anger.

I've been reading about Akathisia and suicidality lately, and found research as far back as 1990 discussing a likely relationship between Prozac/fluoxetine and Akathisia. 1990!!! A mere two years after I filed my first Prozac prescription. Others have followed that introduced discussion of Akathisia and suicidality... And then more recently Akathisia and withdrawal. Re-reading the articles about the lengths GKS went to to suppress the information regarding the negative side effects associated with Paxil may have also contributed to me being pissed off.

• Moderator Emeritus

Designated myself with a picture! Yay me!

Quick story of panic and relief.

As I mentioned earlier i felt like it was okay to taper the Wellbutrin and did so earlier this week. The day of my first lower dose I sat at my kitchen table drinking coffee. I felt some fluttering going on in my chest, but nothing intense or particularly unusual. But then a high pitched noise kicked in. Being a bit hypersensitive to the possibility of emerging withdrawal symptoms it took me at least 5 minutes of panicked sitting to realize the noise was coming from my refrigerator and was not tinnitus.

Aside from that I may feel a slight increase in anxiety in the morning since the Wellbutrin reduction, but otherwise so far so good.

• Moderator Emeritus

Venting before I officially start my "work" day.

The following quote is something I posted about side effects I experienced while taking Prozac. I posted it just over a month ago. After being here on SA and reading various things I now realize what I described is akathisia (finally spelling it correctly). The realization made me angry... Or really, more angry at the drug, the makers and the prescribers. I don't really know why it seems to matter more now, just because I'm able to put a name to it.

-repetitive movement with my foot. Not like a nervous bounce or shake and not like TD. I was unaware I was doing it, but could stop doing it if it was pointed out. And then eventually I became cognizant of when I was doing it and would stop. It may have been a nervousness twitch of sorts?

Here, prior to have a name for it, I'm describing part of my withdrawal... Again, Akathisia.

The anxiety is probably the worst part of the withdrawal for me because it's manifests itself physically, and all though I feel anxious and worried, there really isn't an emotional component. My body is very tense, my jaw tenses, I shiver/shake, and get a very uncomfortable physical feeling along my back. Almost like that uncomfortable feeling you get when you've been sitting in the same position for a long time that makes you change you're position or cross your legs the other way, except that doing that doesn't really help.

I don't know why having a name for these things has reignighted some of my anger.

I've been reading about Akathisia and suicidality lately, and found research as far back as 1990 discussing a likely relationship between Prozac/fluoxetine and Akathisia. 1990!!! A mere two years after I filed my first Prozac prescription. Others have followed that introduced discussion of Akathisia and suicidality... And then more recently Akathisia and withdrawal. Re-reading the articles about the lengths GKS went to to suppress the information regarding the negative side effects associated with Paxil may have also contributed to me being pissed off.

You'll find that a lot of people here are angry with and disillusioned by mainstream medicine and even most alternative medicine.  My experience with antidepressants began with a severe depression that was caused by Lipitor, the cholesterol-reducing drug. My cholesterol was so low that my brain was shutting down and I also suffered severe damage to my shoulders in that I now have no rotator cuffs and can't raise my arms straight out or up. The orthopedic surgeon tells me there's nothing that can be done.

During hospitalization and afterward, I was put on Pristiq, Remeron, and Lorazepam. No one bothered to tell me about side effects, and I came down with a mysterious lung infection about a month after returning to work.  I had been taking a lot of aspirin because I had a long commute that gave me a backache, and just by chance I happened to see a Pristiq ad that warned it should not be taken with aspirin because it could cause excessive bleeding, and sure enough, I had been coughing up and vomiting blood.  The lung specialist I had seen had never heard of Pristiq and diagnosed me with a rare form of TB. I did need an antibiotic to clear up the infection, but that's about all the use I've had for so-called health-care practitioners since.

Anyway, I'm gad to hear that your taper off Wellbutrin is going reasonably well.  If you feel edgy, just hold until you feel better again. The idea is to be as comfortable as possible, not to win a race.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Addax, sadly we pretty much all of us find we have to give up caffeine for a while during withdrawal. Sigh. 

If you're having akathisia, anxiety, insomnia or cortisol symptoms, highly highly recommend you give up any stimulants.

Sometimes I can't even drink decaf because of the small amount of caffeine it still has in it.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow Jamima.  I'm very sorry you had to go through all that, even aside from having to suffer through withdrawal.  I know anger doesn't help anything, but when I hear stories like yours, I find it hard not to wonder just how the medical profession... how so many doctors... got to this point and do they believe what they tell their patients or know they have to stick to a script to ensure their professional success?  I know there are a lot of good ones, I do. Probably more than than bad ones, but the bad ones do such harm... Sorry.  I'm ranting.  

That you got to where you could write a recovery success story is just wonderful!  Hooray for you! and I'm glad you've stuck around SA.

Rhi-

I know the caffeine isn't helping and is probably hurting.  I just dread the withdrawal from it and would have to taper that as well.  For whatever reason, I'm quite sensitive to withdrawal from caffeine and there are days where I actually don't feel like having coffee, but drink it just to avoid the fatigue, headaches and vomiting (if the headache gets bad enough).  I know it sounds dramatic, and I only know of a couple other people who have as extreme of a reaction to withdrawal from caffeine as I do, but it really was that bad.  I haven't even attempted to stop drinking coffee since than.  Granted, SSRI withdrawal puts caffeine withdrawal to shame, and who knows, maybe now, 17 years after my last attempt, it might not be so bad.

I will try it out though.  I'll do the 1/2 caf thing this weekend and see how it goes.  

Thank you both for stopping by!  

• Moderator Emeritus

Journal entry!

Haven't tapered since the last 10% taper of Wellbutrin, so still at 9mg Prozac and ~32mg 2x/day Wellbutrin. Feeling pretty stable. I just realized I haven't felt irritable in some time now... Not w/o good cause anyway ;) . Very, VERY mild anxiety 2 or 3 mornings over the last week or so and I had a day where I was sooo tired, feeling a bit down and unmotivated, and napped for several hours. It may have been just a normal fluctuation in mood or energy but I don't yet know how to tell the difference between symptoms and normal fluctuations in state that I (or anyone) would have experienced even if I'd never taken fluoxetine.

Did experience a weird dizzy thing while walking yesterday that mad me feel like I was sort of sloping to the right, but maybe it's unrelated. My glasses had a smudge on the lens and I was focusing on it a bit... I really hope it was that.

I'm still waiting to get blindsided by symptoms. I hope so badly it doesn't happen. Even though this very slow taper has been so much different (night vs day, apples vs an elephant) from the last experience when I tapered too fast, even though evidence points to the contrary, I just can't seem to believe I won't get slammed. If it doesn't happen by the end of the summer maybe then I'll finally stop waiting for that other stupid shoe to drop.

I with there was a chart for brain healing, like one of those growth charts. Or something tangible that I could see, like a scab.

I'm still waiting to get blindsided by symptoms. I hope so badly it doesn't happen. Even though this very slow taper has been so much different (night vs day, apples vs an elephant) from the last experience when I tapered too fast, even though evidence points to the contrary, I just can't seem to believe I won't get slammed. If it doesn't happen by the end of the summer maybe then I'll finally stop waiting for that other stupid shoe to drop.

EXACTLY the same here! even though slow withdrawal has been such, that I've been able to recover from the cuts, I'm still so, SO scared to fall into a big bottomless hole. I just don't dare to trust and believe, that it will not happen. at the same time, I'm of course hoping that things turn out ok, but I'm just so scared. 

let's hope that this time, it all goes very differently for us, and turns out for the best!

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow Jamima.  I'm very sorry you had to go through all that, even aside from having to suffer through withdrawal.  I know anger doesn't help anything, but when I hear stories like yours, I find it hard not to wonder just how the medical profession... how so many doctors... got to this point and do they believe what they tell their patients or know they have to stick to a script to ensure their professional success?  I know there are a lot of good ones, I do. Probably more than than bad ones, but the bad ones do such harm... Sorry.  I'm ranting.  

That you got to where you could write a recovery success story is just wonderful!  Hooray for you! and I'm glad you've stuck around SA.

Rhi-

I know the caffeine isn't helping and is probably hurting.  I just dread the withdrawal from it and would have to taper that as well.  For whatever reason, I'm quite sensitive to withdrawal from caffeine and there are days where I actually don't feel like having coffee, but drink it just to avoid the fatigue, headaches and vomiting (if the headache gets bad enough).  I know it sounds dramatic, and I only know of a couple other people who have as extreme of a reaction to withdrawal from caffeine as I do, but it really was that bad.  I haven't even attempted to stop drinking coffee since than.  Granted, SSRI withdrawal puts caffeine withdrawal to shame, and who knows, maybe now, 17 years after my last attempt, it might not be so bad.

I will try it out though.  I'll do the 1/2 caf thing this weekend and see how it goes.  

Thank you both for stopping by!  

That does sound rough. When I cut out caffeine I have headaches and tired spells for about three days then I'm done.

How's the half caf doing for you?

I'd recommend still taking it on, even if it means a slow taper. (I sometimes use loose leaf black tea and make a pot with almost all decaf and just a sprinkle of regular. If you can stand tea, you could taper down that way.) 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Moderator Emeritus

Also, I apologize to our UK members for saying "if you can stand tea." I'm just trying to put myself in the shoes of people who don't like tea, even though such a thing is practically impossible to imagine. :-)  (I love tea!)

• Moderator Emeritus

Nice save with the whole tea thing, Rhi! :). Luckily I do like tea.

I use 3 scoops of coffee when I make my coffee. I did 2 scoops regular and 1 scoop decaf, then went to 1 scoop reg and 2 decaf. No headache or anything, but sluggish. It was probably all in my head and just psyched myself out, so back to the 2:1. I have noticed that I haven't experienced that sort of morning pre-anxiety fluttery feeling in my chest in several days. I do need to try the 1:2 again though.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've often had difficulty coming up with a words. Not as in I didn't know what to say, but that my brain would access a word I'd known and used when I needed to use it. It could become horribly frustrating and I'd have to go through a list of other words that were similar in meaning or "describe" the word to other people so they could help me come up with the word I was looking for. Sometimes I'd try using a thesaurus. It was worse if I were feeling anxious, which isn't all that unusual I guess. I know this happens to everyone at one time or another, but it has always felt like it occurred more frequently for me that what would be considered typical.

Well... Over the last two weeks it has felt as if this issue has become less severe. I still sometimes get stuck, but the word or phrase I'm looking for seems to be coming to me more easily and more quickly. I don't remember when the word finding problem began, so I can't pinpoint if it is a side effect of the longterm use of an AD or a side effect of withdrawal. I haven't yet searched for mention of this anywhere online or anything, but wanted to mention it. I'm curious if this is something experienced by other people.

• Administrator

How about 1.5:1.5 scoops for the coffee? We're always splitting the difference in dosage around here.

• Moderator Emeritus

Did the 1.5/1.5 for two days before running out of decaf. Forgot to pick up more and have had full on regular coffee for two days. I didn't notice any increase in anxiety, but maybe some mild Akathisia? Is that possible? I'm beginning to wonder if so many those times I felt physically anxious but lacked anxious thoughts I was actually experiencing Akathisia and not anxiety... And that the experience of Akathisia was inducing anxiety.

So when I've said I had morning anxiety, was I actually having morning Akathisia and not anxiety?

Looks like I'll be doing some research on cortisol and Akathisia. If anyone already knows of research and/ or discussion on this please share the references!

Sometimes I ask these questions then think, "what difference will knowing the answer make?" Should I even care if there's a relationship? I should just acknowledge that what I'm feeling is what I'm feeling and not bother myself with the whys... But damnit, I want to know! If for no other reason than I'm just freakin' curious as hell.

Knowing probably won't alleviate the symptoms, but I guess it might give some sense of passive control?

Whatever. I just want to know. :-P

• Moderator Emeritus

I think I'm somewhat obsessed with this whole Akathisia thing. Truth be told, I think perhaps I'm suffering a posttraumatic stress response from my first and worst experience of it nearly a year ago now.

Anyway, I found this on Wikipedia. It's an excerpt from Jack Henry Abbot In the Belly of the Beast (1981/1991). Vintage Books, 35–36. That was quoted by Robert Whitaker, in Mad in America (2002) p.187.

I think it's a great description.

...[it comes] from so deep inside you, you cannot locate the source of the pain … The muscles of your jawbone go berserk, so that you bite the inside of your mouth and your jaw locks and the pain throbs. … Your spinal column stiffens so that you can hardly move your head or your neck and sometimes your back bends like a bow and you cannot stand up. … You ache with restlessness, so you feel you have to walk, to pace. And then as soon as you start pacing, the opposite occurs to you; you must sit and rest. Back and forth, up and down you go … you cannot get relief …

Another good article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1123446/

• Administrator

Yes, more caffeine = more stimulation!

• Moderator Emeritus

Been half-caffing for the last few days. Have equal supplies of caffeinated and decaf, so they'll run out at the same time and I won't have the excuse that I ran out of decaf. It seems to be going well. I am wondering if the Wellbutrin has become too activating now that I've stabilized at 9 mg of Fluoxetine. With that said and the last drop having gone fairly well I went for a about a 25% cut this time. I also don't want to contribute financially to GKS any longer, so I'm hoping that the 25% drop along with subsequent drops will prevent me from having to fill another prescription. Eek! That sort of sounds like I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face! I'm not though... Not giving them any more money is simply a secondary gain.

So as of three days 2 days ago:

Coffee: half-caf in the AM

Prozac: 9mg 1x/day

Wellbutrin: 25mg 2x/day

It's been a few months now that I've stayed at 9mg of Prozac and I have to say I'm itching to make a cut. Mostly out of impatience, but partially due to curiosity. I'm reporting this to keep myself accountable.

One question: at what dose of Wellbutrin can I discontinue it completely? For instance, when I get down to 20mg can my next step be to eliminate it completely?

It's been a few months now that I've stayed at 9mg of Prozac and I have to say I'm itching to make a cut. Mostly out of impatience, but partially due to curiosity. I'm reporting this to keep myself accountable.

I know the feeling! :) but if you just made wellbutrin cut, then it's wise to wait with prozac. 

I envy that you are already at 9mg (i'm at 17,5). I feel that the lower the dose goes the better I feel once the withdrawal is over. 

I hope this wellbutrin decrease doesn't destabilize you. good luck!

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Repunzel!  Yeah, I'll hold on doing anything with the Prozac for a while.  Even once I'm done with the Wellbutrin I'll hang tight just to make sure nothing creeps up on me.

I guess knowing I can reinstate a little if I do feel destabilized by the 25% decrease is sort of reassuring.  Reading the tapper off Wellbutrin post it appears that 50%-25% reduction has been with few problems.  My last reduction was 10% and went smoothly, so given the activating nature of Wellbutrin I'd like to get it out of my system because I think it may be contributing to some morning "flutters", rather than it being just the caffeine.  I saw this because the "flutter" I feel doesn't usually happen until after I take my morning dose of Wellbutrin.  I usually start drinking my coffee shortly after I take my meds, so I never really thought about whether one or the other was causing the flutter, but there have been a few times when I've forgotten to take the meds until a couple hours after I finished my cup and it wasn't until after ingesting them that the fluttery feeling in my chest kicked in.  It's not a well controlled experiment exactly, but it was enough for me to consider that the Wellbutrin might be part of the morning anxiety flutter, feeling. 

I had expected to be tired and start yawning again after I made my last cut.  Those were the Prozac side effects that taking Wellbutrin was supposed to counter.  So far no increase in yawning.  If I get anxious I notice I get tired soon afterward, but in general there hasn't been in increase in fatigue with the decrease in Wellbutrin.

Now, if the weird vision/brain shifty thing would go away... It's tolerable and greatly reduced, but it's still there at various times on most days.  I wonder sometimes if I should just consider it permanent, that way if it does go away I'll be happily surprised.