Treatments (non-drug) and other things which have helped.

Razzle

Over the past 30 years we have come to know so much more about stress and how it effects the body.

We also have learned that many biological systems in the body can be altered by our own volition..eg Biofeedback. We know that the hippocampus that is damaged by stress and psyche drugs can regenerate itself through neuroplasticity and we know that a sympathetic dominant nervous system can be Re-Tuned to parasympathetic dominance. (Sympathetic dominance is a major cause of withdrawal symptoms).

I have worked with my own and others severe anxiety and stress disorders and some brain injuries like stroke. I have seen near 100% reversal of many disabling symptoms. However chemically injured nervous systems seem particularly resistant to these proven modalities of healing the nervous system. So here is my question, have any of you used these accepted CNS tools with any success:

Biofeedback

Neurofeedback

Meditation

Intentions

Diet

Skilled Relaxation

HRV - Heart Rate Variability (Hottest new CNS tool)

Spiritual Alignment

Breath Work

??????

We need to understand that the nervous system is entirely built on thresholds. You can be 359 degrees from a neuron shutting off or just 1 degree and still have every symptom just as severe - once you drop below threshold the suffering or at least that symptom stops.

We really need some tools and the only way we are going to find them is personal trial and error - the medical community has no incentive to explore this.

Edited by Altostrata
clarified topic purpose

• Administrator

....We need to understand that the nervous system is entirely built on thresholds. You can be 359 degrees from a neuron shutting off or just 1 degree and still have every symptom just as severe - once you drop below threshold the suffering or at least that symptom stops....

I agree with this. We are enculturated to think healing involves quick fixes -- 3 days on a medication and you're better. Given our hypersensitivities from withdrawal, we have to look for very gentle, perhaps subtle ways to guide our nervous systems back to health.

A lot of people start out being very skeptical of this and expend a lot of energy looking for defined, guaranteed solutions to symptoms. But small changes can truly help.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Greetings to all,

I am new to this site and am anxious to share my experiences with everyone seeking answers. I just happened to want to quickly search here for any topics involving neurofeedback and found this post. I have been very curious about the work at Brain State Technologies with what they call brain wave optimization. I first heard about through articles written about Naomi and Wynonna Judd. Does anyone have an awareness or feedback on this non envasive treatment?

I will be putting together my introduction and profile to share my experience with fellow members.

Sunny

I'm interested in this as well, though still have very little experience. I'm still trying out ways of meditating, for example. Since I'm so "bad" at meditating, one thing I've been doing is just belly-breathing, and I think it HAS helped. It's one of those things that builds... not always immediate. In order to try to keep my focus without pressuring myself, this is what I've been doing:

Long breath in, long breath out, 3 times

Long breath in, 2 breaths out, 3 times

Long breath in, 3 breaths out, 3 times

etc. all the way to 7 breaths out, and then in reverse

If you lose focus and forget what breath you are on for any of the steps, it doesn't matter. Just do three more.

If you forget which of the steps you are on, it doesn't matter, just start up where you think you were (best guess, it doesn't matter... or you can start from 1 or 7 again if you want). Remember to breathe slowly. If you're pretty focused and not forgetting which step you are on, then focus on making your breaths out of an equal length, and focus on having your breathing be slow and steady. Also try to fill and empty your lungs completely with each breath. Don't worry if you are thinking about other stuff while you breathe, though try not to engage the thoughts, and focus on the breathing.

I've noticed a pretty big difference in my anxiety doing this. But I think it's important to do it without expecting too much of it.

I'm wondering how I can do biofeedback stuff as well... heart rate, body temperature...

As for diet, I've cut out all grains and sugar. It's too soon to know for sure, but it could partially be responsible for my recent improvements (sleep and mood).

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 3 months later...

Over the past 30 years we have come to know so much more about stress and how it effects the body.

We also have learned that many biological systems in the body can be altered by our own volition..eg Biofeedback. We know that the hippocampus that is damaged by stress and psyche drugs can regenerate itself through neuroplasticity and we know that a sympathetic dominant nervous system can be Re-Tuned to parasympathetic dominance. (Sympathetic dominance is a major cause of withdrawal symptoms).

I have worked with my own and others severe anxiety and stress disorders and some brain injuries like stroke. I have seen near 100% reversal of many disabling symptoms. However chemically injured nervous systems seem particularly resistant to these proven modalities of healing the nervous system. So here is my question, have any of you used these accepted CNS tools with any success:

Biofeedback

Neurofeedback

Meditation

Intentions

Diet

Skilled Relaxation

Spiritual Alignment

Breath Work

??????

We need to understand that the nervous system is entirely built on thresholds. You can be 359 degrees from a neuron shutting off or just 1 degree and still have every symptom just as severe - once you drop below threshold the suffering or at least that symptom stops.

We really need some tools and the only way we are going to find them is personal trial and error - the medical community has no incentive to explore this.

I have been off AD for about a month and just started neurofeedback. I have a friend who was on AD for many years and says neurofeedback helped her withdrawal tremendously. Check out her website at http://www.baltobunny.com. I am also doing transcranial electrical stimulation that has helped balance me out. I truly hope I do not have permanent issues. I meditate as much as possible, perhaps only a few times a week. But I always notice benefits. I also did reiki and healing touch while on AD, also saw some improvement. Not where I want to be yet, though.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• Administrator

What methods do they use for neurofeedback and transcranial electrical stimulation?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

What methods do they use for neurofeedback and transcranial electrical stimulation?

what do you mean what methods?

• Administrator

What exactly do they do in these treatments? What is the brand of machine, if any?

Shanti and Bar -- Did you intend your posts about the astral plane to go in this topic or another one? They're pretty far off topic. Please let me know where they were intended to go and I'll move them.

What exactly do they do in these treatments? What is the brand of machine, if any?

Shanti and Bar -- Did you intend your posts about the astral plane to go in this topic or another one? They're pretty far off topic. Please let me know where they were intended to go and I'll move them.

Idk. I did get a little off topic there. But originally I was referring to Spiritual Alignment. Sorry about that. Maybe it can be it's own topic about the astral. I'd call it "The Astral Trap" lol

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Okay, moved the posts to a new topic, The Astral Trap, in Finding Meaning.

• 1 month later...

Biofeedback

Neurofeedback

Meditation

Intentions

Diet

Skilled Relaxation

Spiritual Alignment

Breath Work

??????

I have been off AD for about a month and just started neurofeedback. I have a friend who was on AD for many years and says neurofeedback helped her withdrawal tremendously. Check out her website at http://www.baltobunny.com. I am also doing transcranial electrical stimulation that has helped balance me out. I truly hope I do not have permanent issues. I meditate as much as possible, perhaps only a few times a week. But I always notice benefits. I also did reiki and healing touch while on AD, also saw some improvement. Not where I want to be yet, though.

*update8

I completed 10 neurofeedback sessions and have noticed that i have less racing, intrusive thoughts and less overall anxiety. 10 sessions is not enough from what I understand so I am not sure how long the benefits will last. Usually they say 20-30 sessions. I would like to start again once the holidays are over and I fix my old car. But I can say that I have experienced a positive result, but it was very subtle and did not happen until about the 4 or 5 session. I found that using deep breathing and meditation enhance the benefits of neurofeedback.

• Administrator

Zepp, did you have one session a week, over 10 weeks?

What were the sessions like?

I am trying the Charles Linden method, using the visualisation cds, tried it once before but gave up, this time I am determined to keep going with it. It does help me to relax but my mind does wander off. I have had a change in one area, gross the toilet, and feel that this is slowing my system down.

fingers crossed that it does help

poodlebell

I started looking into neurofeedback a few months back. I've heard it can help with anxiety. I think it makes sense, in relation to what they know abour neuroplasticity and biofeedback in general. But it also probable that there are some "quacks" out there offering neurofeedback-like programs that perhaps are no good.

I've also considered hypnotherapy...

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Okay, I give a course in Self Kinesiology and Theta Healing. These are the two things that saved me from the horrible positive effects of Schizophrenia. I still have some issues, but believe me, I was much much worse 10 years ago with hallucinations and horrible paranoia and persecution. This takes a very open mind, as I teach how to work with your Higher Self, Spirit Guide or angels. As I was hearing persecuting voices, I was also hearing angels that were helping me deal with the negative voices. Now, unless I'm in the stupid throes of w/d and in that astral, I hear only positive. I normally charge for this but I would be happy to let any of you view the video lessons for free, just send me a pm. Here is a link to my other website where I have the class.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

Shanti, thanks so much for sharing your beautiful gift with our community.

You're welcome Alto. Anything I can do to help I'd be happy.

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Zepp, did you have one session a week, over 10 weeks?

they say you must go at least twice a week and 3 times is recommended. I did a combo of three and two. Not enough though as I can feel my racing thoughts coming back. Wonder how long people benefit from a full course of neurofeedback. They claim it can have permanent changes.

• Administrator

I am trying the Charles Linden method, using the visualisation cds, tried it once before but gave up, this time I am determined to keep going with it. It does help me to relax but my mind does wander off. I have had a change in one area, gross the toilet, and feel that this is slowing my system down.

fingers crossed that it does help

poodlebell

I too began the Linden Method, but then gave up as well. It takes a lot of hard work.

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi

This is an older thread. Am thinking of trying neurofeedback for my insomnia. Has anyone had experience with this and want to share what happens and whether it heps?

Any info much appreciated

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• 2 years later...

I am not all that computer savvy: but I have figured out this much:

I go to youtube and type in something like Bach's greatest hits or you can use whatever you like but I am pretty sure studies have been done that prove classical music is best for the brain

then I open up another tab and go here:

these are visuals, like a kaleidescope, I watch it while I listen to the Bach

it is fantastic.

it lifts me out of that flat depersonalized space I fall into every afternoon

Ruby

2002: "Situational depression" 2002-2010:Prozac.Birth Control.2011 Short trials: Paxil, Celexa, Lexipro, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Ativan- Gee, Doc never mentioned protracted AD wd syndrome. Imagine that. 2011-2015. Lamictal. Seroquel. Remiron. 2012: "Complex post traumatic stress disorder." Fast taper of Remiron jumped off June 2013. Slow tapers ever since of Seroquel & Lamictal.  crippling muscle spasms. crying fits. panic attacks. akathisia. nerve twitches. the jitters. the heebie jeebies. de-personal/realization. numbness. tingling. fatigue. lethargy. nightmares.insomnia. weird images. eye pain.vertigo. dizziness. brain zaps. and on and on and on. withdrawal? side effects? which drug? impossible to know. Stopped Seroquel October 2015.  Stopped Lamictal  March 2016. Had more severe muscle/joint spasms that paralyzed me for 3 days at a time, last episode was March 2017.Going back to work as of February 2018 after 14 years off full-time work due to the crippling effects of psych meds. Check out Robert Whittaker "Anatomy of an Epidemic" for  his breakdown of the rates of mental disability  since the introduction of Prozac into the human population. Best solutions for me: Social support via AA meetings. Acupuncture. Meditation. Dance. Nature. Yoga. Social support online with psych med survivor community. Nutrition. Exercise. More outdoor time. Go sit in the sunshine for 5 minutes. Touch a tree. Breathe deeply.

• 11 months later...

I was thinking today maybe it would be good to make a list of the best helpful things that helped during every stage of wd to help others have a idea of what to try maybe we will come up with a master list of things that never made anyone worse this may turn out to be just food or meditation videos so be it.  

What always helped or at least did not make me worse beets never once made me worse and almost always helped... I craved them first when I was on effexor and had a drug reaction or interaction with a ppi not sure if it was the purple pill that time or one of the others from the same family doc tried them all I reacted to them all... beets saved me then I ate a huge pot full of boiled beets that is all I wanted. :)

I have since juiced beets grated beets into salads :) I wish I could grow beets if I ever have land again be sure I will grow beets.  

Cd of the ocean cold packs on my neck/head quiet and dark epson salt baths heating pad on the spine amazingly effective for pain in most places of the body when done with the cold pack on the neck ... I suspect it confuses the nervous system having hot and cold at the same time it seems to reset...sometimes it has never made me worse. 

peace all 

B

Edited by Petunia
Removed redundant words because of topic merge.

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Sleep. Especially taking naps. Maybe I'm lucky, but I don't get grumpy from napping and it often seems to 'resets' my symptoms to a manageable level. 

On Citalopram (Celexa) since January 2014. Up to 40 mg (highest dose) then down to 10 mg (few months at both 30 mg and 20 mg). In the process of tapering off completely using liquid form of the drug. 4 drops (8mg) is supposedly equal to 10 mg tablet.

(early Dec:) 3 drops (6 mg), two weeks of pretty bad symptoms (all physical) and then fine, held for 2 weeks after that.

(27 Dec) 2 drops (4 mg), (23 Jan) 2 mg -> steady lowering by 0.25 every few days to (14 Feb) 0 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Soaked oats, nuts and seeds.  I've craved them all through my w/d, and they are so healthy and soothing and filling.  I've since read there is actually something in oats that makes us feel less depressed. 

Calling a friend and saying I'm not doing so well.  I always agonise over this first, telling myself how could it help.  But it does help - every single time.

I like this idea for a topic btdt - thanks.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

or at least did not make you worse. 

I was thinking today maybe it would be good to make a list of the best helpful things that helped during every stage of wd to help others have a idea of what to try maybe we will come up with a master list of things that never made anyone worse this may turn out to be just food or meditation videos so be it.  

What always helped or at least did not make me worse beets never once made me worse and almost always helped... I craved them first when I was on effexor and had a drug reaction or interaction with a ppi not sure if it was the purple pill that time or one of the others from the same family doc tried them all I reacted to them all... beets saved me then I ate a huge pot full of boiled beets that is all I wanted. :)

I have since juiced beets grated beets into salads :) I wish I could grow beets if I ever have land again be sure I will grow beets.  

Cd of the ocean cold packs on my neck/head quiet and dark epson salt baths heating pad on the spine amazingly effective for pain in most places of the body when done with the cold pack on the neck ... I suspect it confuses the nervous system having hot and cold at the same time it seems to reset...sometimes it has never made me worse. 

peace all 

B

Are you in Alberta by any chance?!! The beets thing, haha!! Glad its working for you - I love them too. I have completely gone off bread/wheat.  All I want to eat is quinoa for breakfast as my carb.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Acupuncture has helped me tremendously in the wd process.  It seems to have helped strengthen my nervous system and energy so that when I am in a wave, I can withstand it better.

I have to list a couple of other things;

A friend I call when I am in the peak of wd who I just sob with on the phone.  This happens monthly and she just keeps reassuring me I am getting better.

Good old ginger ale when I am nauseous, it really works for me.

Going to meetings, which helps me with my faith when I am scared. 

The people on this site, especially my friend Leahy who is withdrawing from the same drug I am. 

Great idea to share this way.

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Soaked oats, nuts and seeds.  I've craved them all through my w/d, and they are so healthy and soothing and filling.  I've since read there is actually something in oats that makes us feel less depressed. 

Calling a friend and saying I'm not doing so well.  I always agonise over this first, telling myself how could it help.  But it does help - every single time.

I like this idea for a topic btdt - thanks.

Thanks it could be a place to join our forces how do you soak the oats in what for how long do you eat them raw I was told once raw oats cause worms... when I was a kid and loved to eat oats raw.  What type of nuts?  If I am going to try this I don't want to make mistakes and thanks for sharing. 

peace B

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

peace all 

B

Are you in Alberta by any chance?!! The beets thing, haha!! Glad its working for you - I love them too. I have completely gone off bread/wheat.  All I want to eat is quinoa for breakfast as my carb.

Ontario... 

how do you make the quinoa do you eat anything with it?

Had a car accident in 85

Acupuncture has helped me tremendously in the wd process.  It seems to have helped strengthen my nervous system and energy so that when I am in a wave, I can withstand it better.

A friend I call when I am in the peak of wd who I just sob with on the phone.  This happens monthly and she just keeps reassuring me I am getting better.

The people on this site, especially my friend Leahy who is withdrawing from the same drug I am. 

I have used up all my friends it has been a long time they gave up on me and walked. Or I pushed them I am not quite sure I have a couple who are far away and did not get the brunt of full wd... not wanting to push them away too I tie my tongue. I am glad you have friends who are still with you. I do miss that. 

Faith I do not have a church where I live now and have not bothered to get one...but I surely do pray a lot and watch a lot of services on tv it has helped me too. 

Thanks for sharing.

peace B

Had a car accident in 85

At one point I felt very toxic and ate some activated charcoal pills it turned my stool black but other than that I really think it helped my health. 

I can't use it just now as my stool is black off and on so waiting for that to settle then I may try it again. 

peace

Had a car accident in 85

peace all 

B

Ontario... 

how do you make the quinoa do you eat anything with it?

I have the quinoa with Becel and black pepper. Delicious!

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

You just cook the quinoa in boiling water until it has fully expanded, kind of like cooking pasta.

I cook a huge batch and eat it when I feel hungry.

Major Life Events: 

I am doing the neuroptimal Neurofeedback training through my Psychologist. The brand of the machine is Zengar. I am doing 2 or 3 sessions a week. My sessions are 33 mins long with counselling before and after. I am on session 6 & have signed up for 15 sessions. From what I understand, you start noticing improvements on session 5, but after 15 sessions you know if it's working or not.

After my session yesterday, I woke up today feeling way better. I am not nearly as irritable & I am starting to get my brain back. I am happy with my progress so far and will continue my training. I have no side effects from the training & find it very relaxing.

https://www.zengar.com

I was on 75mg of Effexor for over 10 years - I slowly tapered down to 0 & have been off since the last week of October 2015. I have used several holistic approaches along my journey: Naturopath, Neurofeedback, massage therapy, chiropractor, teas, supplements, exercise, nutrition to name a few

My introduction post:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10478-sarahleo-my-story-on-coming-off-of-effexor/

I have used up all my friends it has been a long time they gave up on me and walked. Or I pushed them I am not quite sure I have a couple who are far away and did not get the brunt of full wd... not wanting to push them away too I tie my tongue. I am glad you have friends who are still with you. I do miss that. 

Faith I do not have a church where I live now and have not bothered to get one...but I surely do pray a lot and watch a lot of services on tv it has helped me too. 

Thanks for sharing.

peace B

I actually don't go to church but I do go to a 12 Step program that offers me so much spiritual support-very unexpected. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

You just cook the quinoa in boiling water until it has fully expanded, kind of like cooking pasta.

I cook a huge batch and eat it when I feel hungry.

I have tried it like this and can't quite stomach it I guess we all have different tastes maybe I should try it again as I have found my taste buds changeable during this wd process. Thanks for the recipe

Had a car accident in 85

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy