Maruato: Indescribable Head Symptoms

Maruato

I'm brand new here. I just have one question, hopefully someone can answer it.

I stopped taking Paxil about 9 weeks ago, after tapering off from 10mg to 0 in 6 months. (Yes I know that is considered too fast by many, but I'm not here for tapering advice.) I had all the stuff I'd expect, brain zaps, dizziness, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, but I handled it all in stride. Now most of that stuff is gone (except some days I still feel dizzy or weird in the head.) But now, in the last week, I've developed a low-grade fever, especially at night. I had one day of tender lymph nodes in my neck, the first day I noticed the elevated temperature. It can be anywhere from 99.0F to 100.0F. I FEEL like I have the flu too, body aches, EXTREME fatigue and sleepiness, but no sore throat, cough or anything like that. I find tears come easily, but I usually get that way when I am feeling sick, and I don't feel particularly depressed. Mostly I am frustrated and hate not knowing whats going on.

I found many things about "flu-like symptoms" popping up within 7 days of stopping an SSRI, but nothing about if that includes low-grade fevers, or if it can happen over two months later.

So my one question is this, based on all your experiences, could these symptoms of low-grade fever and feeling like I'm fighting infection be caused by the discontinuation syndrome?

P.S. I plan on getting to my Dr. for some blood tests just to be sure it isn't serious, regardless. Sadly, I have to wait another several days to see him, then probably longer for test results, since I am out of town right now. If my physician gives me a clean bill of health and finds no organic reason for my symptoms, and if I continue to have bothersome flu-like symtpoms, I will consider re-instating the Paxil and trying a slower taper. But I think I will have to feel like it is REALLY causing problems in my life to go back on Paxil after two months off.

2000 - Prescribed Zoloft for acute Agoraphobia and Depression
2000-2011 - Zoloft 50-100mg
2011-2012 - Celexa 40mg
2012 - Went through trying Seroquel, Lamictal, Viibryd, Zoloft, Mirtazapine (worst year of my life)
January 2013 - Paxil 20mg
March-October 2013 - Paxil 10mg
November 2013- January 2014 - Paxil 5mg (went to one week of 2.5mg in the beginning of Feb.)

MED FREE - February 6, 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

could this be withdrawal, in a word yes.   Here is a link to Dr Glenmullens withdrawal checklist, fever and flu like symptoms are up there

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/?hl=checklist

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

could this be withdrawal, in a word yes. Here is a link to Dr Glenmullens withdrawal checklist, fever and flu like symptoms are up there

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/?hl=checklist

Thanks so much! It's nice to see all the associated withdrawal effects in one list. And what a list! I guess I can be glad I don't have everything on that list all at once. It's amazing to think that changes in brain chemistry can trigger fever! It's comforting to know that this may just be phase in getting back to normal. However, it can't hurt to get some blood work just to check things out. I'm not convinced I'd be any better off with a slower taper either. I've read about tons of people who have tapered very slowly and gone through hell anyway. I'd hate to go back on the med only to have to go through the same withdrawal symptoms from the beginning again. But, like I said, if it gets to be too much to bear, I'll consider reinstatement. I am sure I know my own limits better than anyone else.

2011-2012 - Celexa 40mg
2012 - Went through trying Seroquel, Lamictal, Viibryd, Zoloft, Mirtazapine (worst year of my life)
November 2013- January 2014 - Paxil 5mg (went to one week of 2.5mg in the beginning of Feb.)

I'm brand new here. I just have one question, hopefully someone can answer it.

I stopped taking Paxil about 9 weeks ago, after tapering off from 10mg to 0 in 6 months. (Yes I know that is considered too fast by many, but I'm not here for tapering advice.) I had all the stuff I'd expect, brain zaps, dizziness, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, but I handled it all in stride. Now most of that stuff is gone (except some days I still feel dizzy or weird in the head.) But now, in the last week, I've developed a low-grade fever, especially at night. I had one day of tender lymph nodes in my neck, the first day I noticed the elevated temperature. It can be anywhere from 99.0F to 100.0F. I FEEL like I have the flu too, body aches, EXTREME fatigue and sleepiness, but no sore throat, cough or anything like that. I find tears come easily, but I usually get that way when I am feeling sick, and I don't feel particularly depressed. Mostly I am frustrated and hate not knowing whats going on.

I found many things about "flu-like symptoms" popping up within 7 days of stopping an SSRI, but nothing about if that includes low-grade fevers, or if it can happen over two months later.

So my one question is this, based on all your experiences, could these symptoms of low-grade fever and feeling like I'm fighting infection be caused by the discontinuation syndrome?

P.S. I plan on getting to my Dr. for some blood tests just to be sure it isn't serious, regardless. Sadly, I have to wait another several days to see him, then probably longer for test results, since I am out of town right now. If my physician gives me a clean bill of health and finds no organic reason for my symptoms, and if I continue to have bothersome flu-like symtpoms, I will consider re-instating the Paxil and trying a slower taper. But I think I will have to feel like it is REALLY causing problems in my life to go back on Paxil after two months off.

Hi Matuato.. welcome here and congratz of quitting paxil!

I have relate to your problem, weeks after i quit my ssri fever hit me also and felt like i was really sick in the flu and things ( i have this now also) its low fever, comes and goes .. all my blood samples were fine.. like it was no infection in my body and things. Im confused to this matter aswell and have been reading about it, i see sometimes you can have fever in withdrawal,. but for your own safety go to doc and let him take bloodsample and see if u have virus or infection or anything

Ive also suffered burning sensations much on my skin, like im burning, often in head, and face / neck and arms / legs, i thought i had a crazy fever and then it showed normal .. soo weird,.. my feet are REAL COLD and i cant heat them up , i have to go take a shower to get them warm..

I

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

Hi again everyone.

Okay, so 60+ days after my last paxil dose, I'm not feeling normal yet. But, things could always be worse. Lately my main complaint has been this feeling in my head. I have no word for it, and can't liken it to anything else really. I have been experiencing it on and off, sometimes more than others. Since I can't describe it with any one adjective, I guess I'll try my best to get my point accross with a few words.

It feels like my brain is too active, almost overly electrical. Its a bit like the common brain zaps so many of us feel at the beginning of withdrawal, but instead of surges its a constant feeling. I feel it behind my eyes and in the roof of my mouth and what I can only describe as "in my brain". Its tickly, buzzy? But it is also pressure and heavy, foggy. Sometimes I feel like I have to squint even though there is no reason to. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

The thing is, taking .25mg of xanax lessens the feeling considerably, but I try to limit the amount of xanax I use. (I have been nursing the same 40 pill bottle for a year) The fact that xanax helps only leads me to believe that the feeling is caused by my central nervous system being overactive in some way, and the effects of xanax on GABA is what is calming my brain down, and giving me some relief.

This feeling does concern me though, because its somewhat similar to what I felt right before having a seizure when I was 15. So, naturally, I am concerned my brains electrical activity will get so out of control that I'll have another seizure. It makes me afraid to be alone or to drive.

Anyway, any feedback about this particular symptom would be appreciated. Ways to help ease it? Has anyone tried L-glutamine to support GABA production, or any supplements you know that may help. I've mostly been in pretty good spirits, but this is driving me a little cuckoo! LOL

2011-2012 - Celexa 40mg

I'd hazard a guess that by looking at your sig you made drops of 50% each time you reduced and reduced in a very short period of time and you are experiencing withdrawal.

Hopefully a mod will chime in here.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Maruato,

As you mentioned in your first post, you did taper very fast, so the fact that you are still having some withdrawal symptoms after being completely off for just over 2 months isn't unexpected.  I agree with CW, what you are experiencing is most likely some withdrawal symptoms.  Various kinds of head symptoms are very common.

You wrote that you experience this symptom on and off.  Do you notice a pattern?  Like is it worse at a certain time of the day or after particular activities?  Over time, has it increased, decreased or stayed the same?

Recovery seems to be best supported by a healthy diet, light to moderate exercise, pleasant social activity, reduced stress, no caffeine or alcohol and by including magnesium and omega 3 fish oil in the diet.

I haven't experienced the particular symptom you are describing, but maybe others have.

This feeling does concern me though, because its somewhat similar to what I felt right before having a seizure when I was 15. So, naturally, I am concerned my brains electrical activity will get so out of control that I'll have another seizure. It makes me afraid to be alone or to drive.

Have you been diagnosed with epilepsy?  Do you know what caused the seizure at 15?  I'm still inclined to think this is a withdrawal symptom, given your history.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Hello, Maruato.

It sounds to me like you have prolonged post-discontinuation syndrome. This is stress on your nervous system from too-fast discontinuation of Paxil.

As it's been a couple of months, it's possible but a long shot that reinstatement of perhaps 1mg or 2mg Paxil might help.

Since you have a history of seizures, you might see a neurologist about the sensations. But be warned -- your nervous system may be sensitized because of Paxil withdrawal and you might have odd responses to any drugs a neurologist might recommend. If the neurologist doesn't understand this, it's the wrong neurologist.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The seizure when I was 15 was a one time fluke. I never had another, and they never found a reason. I had "seizure activity" on a few e.e.g.'s after the seizure, but then it seemed to just go away on its own. I know I tapered fast. I have considered reinstatement, but I'm not feeling that bad. But the head symptom thing is really just annoying more than anything. And I just thought it was curious how xanax improved the feelings. Anyway, if I were to completely fall apart, sure I'd go back on the paxil and do a sloooow taper. So far, though there have been bumps, my mood is usually good and the physical stuff is, most of time, easy to ignore.

2011-2012 - Celexa 40mg

• Administrator

Xanax controls the feelings because benzos, in general, reduce withdrawal symptoms. However, benzos themselves are big trouble -- they can have adverse reactions, paradoxical reactions, interdose withdrawal, and finally, difficulty in going off if you've become dependent on them, which can happen very fast.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes Altostrata, that's why, like I said, I hesitate to take them very often. If benzos help withdrawal symptoms, it stands to reason that many of the symptoms of withdrawal are from overactivity in the brain, and benzos bind to GABA receptors, that is what calms everything down. At least that seems logical to me. That is why I am wondering if anyone here has tried to support their GABAergic system naturally with L-glutamine or maybe by taking GABA itself. Although I've been told time and time again GABA doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, never the less, many people swear it works as an effective calming agent. I've taken GABA and as far as I an tell, all I get is a temporary feeling of weakness and a bad taste in my mouth.

2011-2012 - Celexa 40mg

• Administrator

Please use search in the Symptoms and Self-care forum to find our discussions on those topics.

• 3 weeks later...

The seizure when I was 15 was a one time fluke. I never had another, and they never found a reason. I had "seizure activity" on a few e.e.g.'s after the seizure, but then it seemed to just go away on its own. I know I tapered fast. I have considered reinstatement, but I'm not feeling that bad. But the head symptom thing is really just annoying more than anything. And I just thought it was curious how xanax improved the feelings. Anyway, if I were to completely fall apart, sure I'd go back on the paxil and do a sloooow taper. So far, though there have been bumps, my mood is usually good and the physical stuff is, most of time, easy to ignore.

If I were you and functional I would not take anything now.  Your body is adjusting best it can and trying to heal.  This will cause fluctuations in symptoms over time.  I would stay away from benzos if it were me. Changing the system more with more drugs has for me been a mistake which I believe cause me to have an even longer healing process.  That is just me and my experience but I have watched people trying to taper of off benzos and it is not pretty best to avoid it if you can. 

peace to you

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)