Brain Games for Cognitive Rehabilitation and Distraction

Barbarannamated

I've been playing a lot of online chess! 

2010 - citalopram 10mg 
2011 - 20-40mg, 1 month taper, PSSD & Anhedonia - Elavil 10mg during taper.
Clonazepam when needed after a month of daily use. 
2012 - Off Elavil - Zoloft (sertraline) 25mg - 50 mgs for 6 months + Buspar for a while. Pssd & anhedonia improved on zoloft, now has gotten a lot worse since a year off. 

Off all drugs since October 2012.

I have started to do Luminosity also. On days I don't feel as well I may choose to play less challenging games, but I really do like it. I also play Jungle Jewels on Facebook. I used to do Bejeweled too, but the flashing lights & stuff got to me.

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

game i play on my phone to try to keep my brain engaged:

whirly word (try to form as many words with the given 6 letters)

candy crush (like bejeweled but different challenges every level)

words with friends (like scrabble, can play with strangers)

dice with buddies (like yatzee, can play with strangers)

letterpress (simple word game, can play with strangers)

luminosity

crossword puzzles

fairway solitaire blast (like golf solitaire with a twist)

4 picts 1 word

and for a mindless time waster i got stuck on hay day which i think is like farmville. :)

on 37.5 - 50mg zoloft/sertraline for GAD from 3/1996 to 4/2013 (17 years) 

too fast taper from 1/13-4/13

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone playing luminosity experienced any cognitive improvements, particularly memory?

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

The games that I enjoy playing is Sudoku which is very challenging depending on the level. It is very stimulating to the brain and I feel like it is improving some abilities. I know that there are some benefits to playing Sudoku. Other games that I play is Checkers, angrybirds and Solitaire.

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

The computer games have been my only way of getting through one minute at a time.  It depends on how much akathisia I'm having but mostly I play Scrabble (bought and downloaded).  I also can play "Hidden Objects" games of which there are hundreds.  I like the mystery stories.  Because I have this bizarre visual depth perception distortion, I've had to change games that my brain will tolerate.  Previously I like Word Whomp, Spider Soltaire and Word Twist.  Can't play anything that requires object integration. 

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

Does anyone think or know if playing these brain games might help healing? Or is it just a distraction? 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

similar topics merged

Cdav, I think playing these kinds of games possibly does help some people recover in several ways.  If the drugs or withdrawal have  temporarily caused cognitive impairment, then exercising those particular 'muscles' will encourage them to grow back.  Also, any kind of interesting distraction is good for recovery because when we are calmly focused on something, the nervous system is in a more relaxed state, and that's good for recovery.  So if you enjoy these kinds of games, then I'm sure they help.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petu. I do enjoy these games. I just can't seem to do them when I'm having headaches, which right now I've have them almost 24/7. But I'll try to play during little windows. :) 

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

• 5 months later...

Since this whole disaster happened to me, I haven't been able to concentrate on much except for withdrawal and SSRI induced damage. 

Slowly I'm starting to be able to let go for minutes at a time and focus on other stuff. But I notice my cognition is fried. 

I can't do cognitive tasks that used to be very easy for me. It's not only that I can't do them, I actually get brain zaps, nausea and muscle twitches. 

Is there a point in continuing to try? I know that people with brain damage from accidents or strokes go through rehabilitation programs where they challenge their lost abilities and re-learn. 

I imagine the same would apply to us? Or am I just torturing myself? 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

I think it's a good idea to try and retrain the brain. It will be challenging, but worth it. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

• Moderator Emeritus

This is just my experience. I've found that when I've tried to play brain training games, I've become tired very quickly and have experienced symptoms like nausea and low mood, no matter how well I did at the games. I've also found that I did unexpectedly well at some games but really badly at others.

I seem to do better with games I enjoy playing rather than ones specifically designed for rehabilitation.

What I'm finding is that my cognitive capacities are very slowly returning in a window and waves kind of pattern along with the decrease of symptoms. When I'm feeling a little better, my brain seems to work better, and vice versa.

Its my guess that previous cognitive capacities will return naturally as recovery progresses, but no harm in doing training exercises if you enjoy them.

Here's a related thread:

Brain Games - Surviving Antidepressants

(topics merged)

Edited by Petunia
updated

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Thanks Petu & BlueBalu! 

I have the same experience: I try to do something cognitive and get exhausted. I also get frustrated with the fact that my cognitive abilities are fried, which doesn't help. 

Maybe the brain games are better because there's no pressure associated with them. 

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Do the cognitive capabilities return and the brain fog leave? I feel like im a wall and can't get over it. Also brain zaps have been with me since first day I went from 150 to effexor 75mgs. I've been tapering so slow shouldn't my brain be healing by now?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

The brain heals very slowly for some people.  It can take years and years and years before recovery happens.

The nausea, physical pain, eye problems, etc, low mood, etc, that I've experienced when playing mind games or videogames seems to be related to my trigemenal nerve damage - so no matter how many games I play, it won't affect my "brain" as much as it will just irritate a damaged nerve.  It feels as if the access point to "training my brain" is damaged, in the same way a broken limb might make it difficult to train a muscle group.  So no matter how hard I try, the broken limb is preventing me from maximizing the amount of training that can occur in that hypothetical muscle group.

If you know any ways to heal damaged nerves, that's probably something I'd be interested in trying.  Maybe diabetics with diabetic neuropathy have some suggestions? 

I've recovered quite a bit from the nerve damage over the last year just by waiting, eating a very good diet, getting exercise, and getting a bunch of sleep.  I've tried a bunch of other things too, but none of them seem to do much (e.g., mind games, reading, writing, playing sports, etc).  I found that playing videogames on computer screens dramatically worsened the nerve damage, and I was set back at least 2 months from playing a month or so of WoW and LoL online.  Those games really irritated my trigeminal nerve and I didn't really get better for some time - it was very frustrating.

I just wanted to update on how the 'cognitive rehabilitation' has been going for me. 

I haven't tried the brain games because I got hung up on some stuff that I actually have to get done by a certain date. Things are very bumpy. Sometimes I can focus, sometimes I can't. I have to be very careful not to get upset when it doesn't work. 

But I had some successes. I actually got some things done. This gives me some hope to keep trying. Always with the view that in case it doesn't work, the world will still keep spinning. 

• 1 month later...

So I ordered today my new laptop, and I'm expecting it next week. 

I've never played computer games except for some "Age of Empires", and I don't know much about them. 

I would like some suggestions on what games I should download to play on my new laptop? It's actually a gaming laptop :) So I can play all sorts of games now.

Nothing too scary or violent, but something very interesting and engaging, so time passes more quickly. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Canyon Defense 1 & 2 it's free online; loved the game

Summer 2013: started on Prozac for OCD

Fall 2013: started Lexapro due to Prozac zombie effects

Stopped Lexapro because of lack of empathy/emotion,anxiety,lack of concentration etc.

Fall 2014: switched to zoloft 

February 2015: started effexor quit C/D after 2 weeks.

April 2015: was on zoloft for a month again to try and wean a bit more slowly. DID not work.

May 2015: dumped all of my medications

July 2015: Struggling day to day with withdrawal symptoms but hopeful that I'll be better at the end of august for the next school year.

It depends of what genres of games you like.

Age of Empires is a real-time strategy game, if you would like a similar game, I could recommend Starcraft 2... it's real time strategy where 2 alien races and humans battle each other lol. That game has single player story mode, and online multiplayer where you battle other people. That game is made by the developer Blizzard, and pretty much everything they make is gold.

If you want to waste days upon days on your computer being addicted to a game, my first choice would be MMORPGs (massively multiplayer online role playing games). No other genre has ruined as many marriages as this one. The most popular one is probably World of Warcraft. Another option is Final Fantasy 14, and another option is Lord of the Rings Online (which is free to play). There might be more out there, but I haven't kept up with the gaming news. MMORPGs are about you creating a character in an online world where you can interact with characters made by other players. Basically you fight monsters, and can get into teams with other players to kill monsters together, the more you kill the more you "level up" and your character gets stronger. You upgrade weapons and armor, buy and sell items in auctions within the game, and do a whole lo of other stuff.

Another option are FPS games (first person shooters). There's a ton of them. I could recommend Team Fortress 2, it's totally free to play. It's a sorta cartoony game, but there are more realistic shooters out there, but they are of coarse violent since you shoot other people lol.

There's other genres of games out there though, I've just mentioned the ones that I've had experience with.

-On SSRI since April 2006.
-December 2007: SSRI discontinuation and withdrawal start.
-February 2008: SSRI reinstatement... improvement, yet withdrawal symptoms remains to this day.
-Currently taking: 16mg Citalopram, 1mg Risperidone (for insomnia).
-Current issues: obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), insomnia, exaggerated physical symptoms of anxiety, muscle fatigue, weight gain, high prolactin/low testosterone

Computer games are really good distractions! I like post-apocalyptic games that have a lot of atmosphere, like for example Stalker, Shadow of Chernobyl and Fallout 3. They are scary and violent of course. I also play the classic Sim City, a city simulator that can take sweep away the hours like nothing else! Kentucky Route Zero is a very (non violent) nice game as well.

Links:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24780/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/231200/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22300/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/4500/

The site http://rockpapershotgun.com/has lots of good reviews.

* 2000: Diagnosed with depression after separation. Venlafaxine 150 mg.

* 2001 - 2010: Continued taking Venlafaxine 150 mg out of habit.

* 2010 - 2013: Several failed attempts to discontinue, caused anxiety, depression, no sleep, mood swings.

* April 2014: New attempt to do a slow and proper taper from 150 mg.

* March 2015: Down to 30 mg Venlafaxine. Anxiety is present but mostly manageable. Getting myself addicted to benzos again.

* May 2015: Bridging to liquid Fluoxetine during 1 month. Fatigue introduced to the mix.

* June 2015: On 12 mg Fluoxetine (3.0 ml liquid, equals 40 mg Venlafaxine) and about 1 mg Diazepam daily.

* July 2015: 12 mg Fluoxetine (3.0 ml liquid). Tapering the Diazepam. Fatigue, anxiety mood swings, memory loss. Sleep is good.

* August 2015: Off the benzo. Stable on the Fluoxetine.

* Current withdrawal status (August 2015): Almost no issues. Minor mood swings and memory loss and bad stomach.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9387-knaster-fight-fight-fight/

Superbetter - the Game

I learned about this sometime in the last year and I cannot remember where. Jane McGonigal suffered a traumatic brain injury in 2009 and recalls her experience and how she got better in a TED Talk.

"When game designer Jane McGonigal found herself bedridden and suicidal following a severe concussion, she had a fascinating idea for how to get better. She dove into the scientific research and created the healing game, SuperBetter. In this moving talk, McGonigal explains how a game can boost resilience — and promises to add 7.5 minutes to your life."

Watch here

What called it to mind is that I signed up for a Superbetter account at the time but it appeared that the game had become inactive and so I lost interest. I got an email today and it says that the site has a new owner and a revamp of the game is in the works (including an Android version).

The simplicity of the exercises in the game is deceptive. Here is the science behind it in an article published just this year.

It would be interesting if those members here who are suffering badly from the effects of withdrawal attempted this and posted their results.

Edited by Petunia
added title from merged topic

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

This looks worth trying, I hope they get it working soon. I would try it.

20+ years of Zoloft 50-100 mg CT 03/2014 for 5 months
Back on Prozac 20 mg for 4 months CT since 11/2014
Found this forum the last day of 2014
The secret is to keep going!  Time will heal.

You can play it now. If you don't have an iDevice, you can use the web version. If I remember, I could not get the 'power ups' or something to work or maybe it was getting an ally, I just do not remember. But I just re-watched the TED and it still fascinates and moves me.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting this CW, I joined earlier today and I've been playing with it most of the day. I'm surprised, but I've actually been able to make some progress and my mood is certainly better than its been for the last couple of weeks.

I've done a lot of CBT over the years but didn't realize how much I've slipped back into old bad patterns since being in withdrawal, until I started doing some of the quests here and battling the 'bad guys'

There's a problem at the moment getting allies, I don't think PM's are working, so you have to exchange email addresses in a public forum, but you don't need allies to play.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

I wish I could distract myself with games. Makes my DP/DR worse.

If you want to engage I recommend adventure genre. Syberia, The Longest Journey, Grim Fandango and Monkey Island are my fave. They are not violent.

As for other games, my time passed really fast with these: Elder Scrolls 3 and 4 (Morrowind and Oblivion, 5-Skyrim is also okay), Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, Fallout, Dark Souls...

...But the game you should definitely play as it requires thinking and it's not scary/violent at all is PORTAL.

I think all gamers would agree with me. It can also help train your brain.

CD off meds in July 2015, not on any medication since. Went through WD nightmare, now dealing with normal anxiety, but decided not to leave this forum yet because I want to support and give hope to others. ♡

That's great that your brain is slowly recovering.

Been on 1 year cymbalta, 1 year  pristiq, zoloft 2 years nad seroquel 2 years.Now I've been off everything since February 2015. so 6 months free. Still have insomnia, short term memory problems, brain fog these are the only problems hope they will improve.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

The commitment heavy games like the MMORPG's and the strategy are more than I can handle.  I used to play chess - but when I lost the cognitive ability to see moves ahead, it became painful to see how much I'd lost.  I was playing "Star Trek: Alien Nation" until yesterday.  I don't know how to find what I need to complete the quests and to keep from dying so badly.  I don't like war, and I don't like how this is battle focused instead of negotiation focused.  I guess I want it to be more Picard and less Kirk.  I like building a world, but when it comes time to make an empire - go and conquer (or be conquered) it loses my interest.

I do simple match-3 - just play the free part until it's not fun anymore (can't make progress) then switch to another.  Hidden object - I can play forever, but like to switch, each game has it's own style.  I play in Facebook.  I have a few games on my PC that I've bought, but I find that most of the hidden object / puzzle ones overwhelm me - I'm not as good as "solving" what they want me to solve.  Oh, and solitaire games, though I've been playing those less lately.  I prefer quick games which require little commitment, and my crops don't die if I let it sit for a few weeks.

The Lumosity games - and there were others I was playing for awhile and cannot remember - frustrate me.  It's like it's trying to access a part of my brain (especially SPEED) that I cannot get to.  I am slow and plodding.  I just left http://www.brainhq.com because the puzzles were so darned FAST!  Speed is good - I worked very hard to get my karate faster - but - I have limits, and making me go fast is one of them.  I won't play any Match-3 or other game if it is time based.  I believe that intelligence and speed are separate things - and no longer have the dexterity of mind and hand to be fast.  But, in my plodding way, I can still be smart.

I find the games to be distracting rather than cognitive building.  I do find that there are days when I play better than others.  I haven't charted this or anything, but I consider it a good sign when I have a "good run" of wins.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I just spent 30 minutes on this site which promises to make you happier. Scientifically it is proven that negative thoughts can cause illness, this site is about challenging them and is really good. There is the option of upgrading to the paid version but the free one seems fine. We are all in varying stages of withdrawal or suffering side effects that are debilitating, but negative thoughts make it so much worse. I know all this and try to pass on the knowledge I have about being positive in adversity but recently have had so  much stress and illness that it is becoming harder to hang on to that positivity. 30 minutes browsing and already feel more positive! 

Games and tests.....go on, give it a try! 

http://www.happify.com/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Mentor

oh thanks for posting this! I had found that site before but somehow lost the link to it

i was getting some happy updates and stuff in my emails

will have to sign up again

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thanks MammaP for adding the link to the Happify Site http://www.happify.com/

I joined and played for a while, it was fun and there's a great community there too with a lot of encouraging and supportive people.

I merged the topic so its easier to find as part of brain improvement games generally.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy