A year as a mental health advocate in a major UK hospital

Altostrata

• Administrator

Discussion about the coercive nature of psychiatry, forced medication, stigma, restraint and electro-convulsive therapy, the non-therapeutic experiences of many patients.

Jan 31, 2014 interview with mental health advocate who worked in the South London and Maudsley Hospital Trust.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

What a great guy.

I really liked what he said about compassion & respect.

What he said seemed like basic and obvious common sense. Why can't some people see it?

How could you not see that showing compassion to someone and actually listening to them would help? How can punitive, often damaging treatment given to people against their will, not be detrimental?

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy