Freddybob Switching from Pristiq to Citalopram

Freddybob

Hey everybody, I've been reading information on here for months but now that I am about to start my attempt I thought I'd better share the experience.

Been on Pristiq for roughly 2 years now, was on 50mg for the first few months, it was effective at first but didn't work for long so bumped to 100mg, I've been at 100mg for well over a year now and don't feel it's having any effect at all, but I've been too scared to come off of it. I've recently lost my job which has given me plenty of free time to make some changes with medications. Silver linings, y'know?

My plan is based off the Prozac bridging ideas in this thread http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/

But going with Citalopram instead of Prozac because of problems with social anxiety

Tomorrow morning I take my first reduced 50mg Pristiq dose, I'll continue this for at least 3 days, depending on withdrawals maybe up to a week, then introduce 20mg Citalopram. After 3-5 days of taking both I'll drop the Pristiq. Sounds simple. Until the freakin zaps kick in...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Freddy, and welcome to the forum. As you are aware, tapering Pristiq is not straight forward. I'm not an expert , but wonder if you have read this thread? http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/?hl=%2Bpristiq+%2Beffexor

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Welcome, Freddy.

Going off Pristiq could be difficult, please see the link Skyler provided.

Why are you thinking of bridging to citalopram rather than fluoxetine?

Dr. Rob Purssey is available in Australia to help with tapering http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/?p=47108

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the link Skyler, I have read that thread pretty well a few times in the past few months as well :)

I'm bridging to citalopram instead of fluoxetine because I've been having issues with social anxiety/agoraphobia for the past month or two, most days I don't leave the house and when I do I tend to have panic attacks when I get overwhelmed (I've noticed the same thing in a close friend of mine who has been on Pristiq for about 3 years, can anyone confirm whether that's just a coincidence?) I could bridge to fluoxetine but I already have experience with fluoxetine, and I know it won't be any help to me. I plan to get off anti-depressants eventually but want to give citalopram a try on the way for a month or two, see how it goes for me.

Thanks for the link to that doctor, I'll consider getting in touch with him if this doesn't work.

I took my first 50mg dose this morning, its 5:30pm and I'm not feeling any different yet but definitely feeling this is the calm before the storm haha.

• Administrator

Do you mean you went from 100mg to 50mg Pristiq?

Pristiq is noradrenergic, like Effexor. This can be activating, causing insomnia, nervousness, anxiety, etc. SSRIs can do this, too.

Most likely, your current symptoms are a side effect of the drug. Whether Celexa would be more effective than Prozac for this is unknown.

Did you read the tapering Pristiq topic? Please try to contact Dr. Purssey.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...

Freddybob. Did you successfully go from Pristiq to celexa?

Currently on 50mg of Pristiq.  Been on AD for 18 years.  Off Xanax since June 2, 2015, Tapered.  Pristiq has caused stomach issued and increasing cholesterol since May 2014.  Time to find a way off.