kjbnyc: Lexapro 3mg to 2mg caused symptoms - should I go back to 3mg?

kjbnyc

I have been on 10mg Lexapro for one year.  I have been doing a liquid taper of 10% each week.  I had no issues until I went from 3mg to 2mg.  I took 2mg on Sunday night.  These past three days I have been extremely irritable, lethargic and have a headache.  Should I go back to 3mg and stay there for a few weeks and then try again?

• Moderator Emeritus

kjbnyc,

I moved your topic here to the Introductions and Updates because this is where posts about yourself belong.  Please continue to post your comments and questions about your own progress in withdrawal here.  You can do that by clicking on the 'Reply' button.

Yes, updose to 3 mg. Because you're tapering much too fast, I'd recommend that you stay at that dose for at least a month.  The fast taper may catch up with you during that time, so please let us know how you're doing, okay?  And please put your psychiatric drug history in your signature, like so:  How To Put Your Withdawal Hstory in Your Signature

Welcome to the forum.  You'll find lots of good information and friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have been doing a liquid taper of 10% each week.  I had no issues until I went from 3mg to 2mg.

We recommend tapering by 10% no more than every 4 weeks.  Also, its best to reduce by 10% of your current dose, rather than your original dose,  meaning that the reductions decrease as the dose becomes lower.

Please have a look through our tips for tapering Lexapro here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/?hl=%2Btips+%2Bfor+%2Btapering+%2Blexapro

I agree with Jemima about updosing, please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

btdt,

We really aren't equipped to give medical advice here, and the forum could be in jeopardy if we tried.  None of us are trained medical people.

If for some reason you can't see a doctor, you might try searching for some legit medical web sites.  The Mayo Clinic is usually up-to-date and informative: The Mayo Clinic

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.