Fireball2014 How do I deal with Pristiq withdrawal now?

Fireball2014

• Administrator

That's pretty typical for withdrawal syndrome, Fireball. Please take care of yourself, baby your nervous system, and let it heal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fireball2014

• Altostrata

• mogfish

• mammaP

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fireball,

I was wondering how long you have been trying to stabilize after reinstating Prozac, there is no date in your signature when you reinstated.  It can sometimes take several months for some people.  Since reinstating, have your symptoms improved at all? Oh yes, I see, its been 7weeks.

As long as you haven't been feeling worse, I would give it a bit more time.  Actually I'm a bit confused.  Your signature says you reinstated at 4mg, but now you are at 3.6.  Reinstatement means that you stay with the same dose until you feel better before you begin tapering.  If after a period of time you are not feeling better, or only slightly better, you can updose a little.  I'm concerned that you began tapering a little too soon.

Yes, I just read back through more of your thread, a long hold was recommended.  Please slow down Fireball, you have been on these medications for a long time, your nervous system is going to need some time to adjust and repair.

Here are a couple of posts which may help explain what's going on:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6447-best-of-sa/?p=91582

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6447-best-of-sa/?p=89767

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you both Alto & Petu for you responses.

Petu I am holding now @ 3.6mg and will go back up to 4mg if appropriate.  I never meant to start any taper at all but I got really scared when I got a back migraine & felt as I had no other choice but to take 50mg of the triptan.  And as Alto reminded me triptans do not mix with SSRI's.  I guess I had an irrational belief that a tweak less Prozac would help out out the migraines & would be safer with the triptan.  Then I just stayed on the 3.6mg.  I have been doing other things to help decrease my migraines naturally.  I have not had any more of the triptan.  I think I'm just so anxious to get better faster that hitting bottom (which is probably inevitable on this discontinuation pathway) was horrible.  I feel not as depressed since that last post, anxious today because of 3 issues, BUT I AM HOLDING ANY TAPER FOR SURE!  Thanks for the links to the other posts.

I JUST GET STUCK IN THE THINKING THAT I WILL NEVER GET WELL AGAIN!

On SSRI's/SNRI's for @ 25 years, first Prozac 18 years

Took Pristiq last 3 years, had increase in severe migraines

Started tapering Pristiq 100 mg every other day, was ok

Tried Topamax for 2 weeks, but side effects intolerable

Continued taper, able to tolerate 100mg every 4th day

At 6 weeks cut 100mg tab to 50mg & had bad reaction

Only taking 25mg sumatriptan or 0.5mg Ativan as needed

4 weeks later withdrawal worse, where do I go from here?

Stabilizing on 4mg Prozac, NO triptans, NO Ativan

3.6mg hold since June 18

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

The information I have read here about tracking progress is very helpful.  Thank you.  I am no longer in a rush to taper the Prozac I am taking for a too fast Pristiq taper, but I am totally confused about when to taper for ME.  I went a notch down after 40 days (Alto said it was too fast for me, I agree); my migraine frequency was increasing at that time and I attributed it possibly to the Prozac.  Anyway, I have remained on the 3.6mg since June 18 but have had an increase in migraines & headaches again (partially to a stressful family situation).  However, what I have noticed and tracked is that I have what I call an aura period before the migraine comes on that I only slightly had before or really not at all.  It feels like my face is in a wind tunnel and I feel pulled down in general; the last time yesterday it was painful.  Its seems like I have not one ounce of energy left in me; it's extremely difficult to push through it.  Then I woke up this morning with the migraine.  Had an appointment with the acupuncturist and she said my energy was basically at bottom again.  I wonder if this happens because of the lack of the norepinephrine stimulation effects of the Pristiq?  It clouds up my mind quite a bit.  Does this mean I should not taper?  I felt I was making very snail-like but steady progress and now this issue is daunting for me.  I guess I just need to vent.  Thanks again.

3.6mg hold since June 18

• Administrator

Fireball, I moved your post here, your Intro topic is the place to ask questions about your specific tapering situation.

Don't worry about norepinephrine, etc. Pristiq and Prozac have effects far beyond the so-called neurotransmitters.

It's impossible to tell where the migraines are coming from. Did you have migraines before trying antidepressants?

When you say you've had an increase in migraines, is there any pattern over the last 2 weeks?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Alto, I'll tell you what I experienced the last two weeks of July.  On July 24 I had a headache/migraine come on when I was tired after travelling to visit & stay with the inlaws.  Two days later (July 26) at the end of a beautiful fishing trip, out in the freshest air possible in Maine I got a more severe migraine.  On July 29 I got a stress headache after dealing with a family issue.  Then 2 days later again I got a terrible migraine; before it I got that "aura" of of the facial dragging/pressure & pain and I felt unable to do anything...

I went to the acupuncturist later that morning and she used points she had none done in awhile to help with the low energy & migraines.  That was Thursday & it is Monday now & so far so good with the headaches/migraines.  The anxiety is hell today (off from work), but I do not want to alter tx's this week because I CANNOT deal with the migraine pain anymore!

I'm still taking Fish Oil & Magnesium.  Ran out of my B complex for now.

I did have headaches which I thought were sinus headaches until I went to an allergist & he told me they were migraines; I researched this & it made sense.  Before I started taking antidepressants @ age 28 I don't remember having a big issue with migraines really.

This past year the migraines definitely got out of control (after starting Pristiq @ 3 years ago & increasing the dose to 100mg).

After I too quickly tapered Pristiq & tried Topamax for 2 weeks and then was off the Topamax for about 5 weeks I felt great, but the withdrawal effects from Pristiq set in.  And I got my first 3 day round of headaches/migraines 3 days after I reinstated Prozac.

What to do?  Just hanging in there by a thread sometimes.  Then I feel somewhat motivated & hopeful at other times.

I'm on thyroid medication & Lipitor, too, and don't trust the docs now to deal with managing these meds right.

Now I'm rambling...  I just go in circles a lot lately, getting nothing done, and could use direction... :wacko:

(Tapered Pristiq from middle of Feb to first week April, on Prozac since May 9) 

3.6mg hold since June 18

I hate this anxiety again today on my 2nd day off. Wondering if I will need to updose?

I've been reading through others' threads & am amazed at the strength, expressiveness, caring, etc. that is present here on SD. I'm praying/rooting for you all!

My mind is all a jumble (crying about it now). I've been fortunate that I have not had issues with sleeping & usually use it to clear my head - but this doesn't seem to work anymore. Went for a walk with the dogs, it only helped for a minute afterwards. I feel like Petu does and wonder if I will continue spiraling down. The OCD has crippled me... I am feeling totally lost. Sorry I can't contribute much.

3.6mg hold since June 18

I really wish I hadn't tapered so fast but didn't know nor research first, trusted the doc, was having such migraines from Pristiq, etc. Got to get over this...but am I really f@&$ed up for good this time? Did 25 years on these AD's do me in finally? I really need to find an ally I can work with...it's too hard right now to direct myself when I am off from work. And I don't think it's the right/beneficial idea for me to go back on something because of how I started to feel/not feel emotionally last year. I don't have the feeling of wanting to commit suicide like I did a few weeks ago but I am truly hopeless... And I don't want to sink in self pity - I just am struggling...

3.6mg hold since June 18

• Administrator

Fireball, your migraines started when you started taking antidepressants? Did no one notice that this was an adverse effect?

It's so hard to tell what triggers migraines, as you probably know. It could be dehydration, light stimulation, or even something you ate.

Hi fireball,

Just wanted to check in with you and give you some encouragement.

Hang in there Fireball. 

I was on and off antidepressants for 15 years being put on and pulled off cold turkey at times,  and I have come through it all ok as I know you will too. I know you are struggling right now and my heart goes out to you but hang in there, follow the advice given from the site, cry it out when you need, vent your feelings on here to people who understand and have been through similar so will understand and give you the support you need.

You can and will do this!!

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
To try to simply summarise my dosing method……….
*Big half  in morning quarter in early evening (around 4pm) 
*Small half in morning and quarter in evening
*Small half in morning then 1/8 in evening
*big half in morning and evening dose dropped
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*small quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
* a nibble of the already tiny tablet :))
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free

I thank you so much for your support Mogfish! I just want to be able to turn around the negative thought that by the time I am "done with this" I will feel so far behind that I will never catch up again with myself or life. This has been an issue for me my whole life I guess. I want to remain strong like everyone else posting on this site that has been through so much! I want me back again!

Big Hugs :)

3.6mg hold since June 18

• 3 weeks later...

I am in need of direction again concerning my Prozac taper as suggested by btdt. If I am asking in the wrong place I apologize in advance and this inquiry can be moved to my thread. My anxiety, fear, wanting to crawl out of my skin is unbearable at times. I had an acupuncture tx that helped this for 1 evening, but woke up at 3 am not to be able to go back to sleep. This is new for me; insomnia has very fortunately until now not been a problem. Maybe just a new stage?

Anyway to sum it all up I tapered Pristiq too fast, started on 4mg liquid Prozac May 9, 3.6mg June 18, 3.4mg Aug 10, 3.2mg Aug 24, back to 3.4mg Sept 1. Did it this way for various reasons. Now 4 months later I don't know what to do - just can't stand myself anymore!

I am wondering if the Prozac is too stimulating for me now and maybe something like imipramine would work for me better now (as I have read used by Nikki?). But I know that switching around is not a good idea, either. Or do I need to updose? I know 4 months is still a very short time on the Prozac, too, I have no trouble at all remaining on one dose for a very long time if that's what I need to do.

Maybe Alto can help? Maybe at this point I have to find a practitioner/counselor to work with?

Advice is welcome!

3.6mg hold since June 18

• Administrator

Fireball, I moved your post here.

What did btdt suggest?????

What is your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take your various drugs?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

Switching always adds risk. We can't recommend drugs. See our list of doctors http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/ perhaps ther's one near you.

Just want to make a fast reply here to you Alto. I'm sorry if I'm all over the place, it's just how I feel.

Btdt didn't suggest anything significant, just that I might want a mod to review my taper again.

Briefly, the interactions checker came up with a possible mild interaction between Prozac & Synthroid (but effect unknown), no interactions with Lipitor, and of course as you have told me before a major interaction with Sumatriptan. I have tried to completely stay away from the triptan (although I've read somewhere in Healy's site that triptans may be beneficial for withdrawal). I've reduced the triptan if I must take it to half the dose and my migraine frequency has decreased again. But the goal is to NOT to take it at all!

I apologize about asking about other meds that might help me & I guess I need to be reminded about the risks of another switch.

I probably just have entered into a different phase of withdrawal that makes me wonder how I am going to continue to cope, work, and be grateful to be alive. As I've said I haven't had a problem with sleep until now...

I am rechecking my thyroid function and a bunch of other tests my endocrinologist has ordered. I am hooking up with a counselor, too.

So my symptoms are simply high anxiety in the morning when I wake up, sometimes immediately or after awhile especially when off from work at home. I've felt like I am not breathing well - my energy is so stuck in my chest and belly. I even had a bout of chest pain after being anxious and fearful one day last week and also ended up with a headache.

I thank you so much Alto for your consideration!

3.6mg hold since June 18

• Administrator

Healy suggests triptans AFTER someone is completely clear of an antidepressant.

I don't know what to suggest, Fireball. Does the anxiety start after you take your daily Prozac?

Oh, Alto, thank you for clearing up the triptan issue completely for me.  I obviously misread Healy's information when not able to focus earlier in my withdrawal!

To answer the anxiety question, I do not necessarily get an increase in anxiety after I take my Prozac.  I have been waking up too early with anxiety or become anxious soon after waking up in the morning.  This started about a week and a half ago.  I've never had lack of sleep issues before because of withdrawal, even after I started back on Prozac May 9th.  And the extreme anxiety (fight or flight feeling) has gotten out of control - it's like being on a rollercoaster.  Mindful techniques/deep breathing do help sometimes, and talking, but I going to drive everyone crazy!  The anti anxiety homeopath the naturopath gave me helped before; I thought it was giving me headaches after awhile so I decreased and stopped it.  It does not seem to help much now, although maybe I should try to take it regularly again...

I do want to mention that when I entered into perimenopause (8 years ago) and had similar sleep/anxiety issues I had been taking Prozac, and the "seeming" inability of Prozac to do anything at this time led me to other antidepressants with the MD's.  But I have been back on the Prozac for 4 months - one would think that I would have had anxiety issues sooner than this.

I did find out from my labwork that I have a low TSH and a high parathyroid hormone level; I know this can definitely be a reason for my new symptoms.  Hopefully I will speak to my endocrinologist today...

Do you have/know or can refer me to information about how antidepressants can affect the thyroid or even parathyroid?

Again Alto, I am grateful for your efforts here to help me and everyone else with these issues.

3.6mg hold since June 18

Well everyone, I'm feeling a bit defeated in that I've had to take the 0.5 mg Ativan these last two mornings for my extreme anxiety; the homeopath isn't cutting it although I will still try using it.

My husband said I was gaining ground since our trip to the Cape mid May, but also doesn't feel that I have stabilized. Not changing my dose of 3.4 mg Prozac unless I really need to updose which I haven't got a clue about.

The thyroid & parathyroid issues really complicates things, too.

It's very scary when you think your making very slow yet bumpy progress then end up like you just want to crawl out of your skin!

Any comments are welcome. Hugs to all!

3.6mg hold since June 18

• 2 weeks later...

I feel done. I may as well just go back on meds. I can't live without sleep. I can't go on just surviving. I don't feel like part of the program of life today... I wish I could help others... How you all have endured amazes me. My supervisor is starting serious chemo tx & I have nothing to give. I am praying to God so hard to release me from the grips of desolation! I'm so sorry!

3.6mg hold since June 18

• Administrator

Hang in there, Fireball.

Is it possible that 4mg Prozac might be a better dose for you right now?

Hi fireball

Sorry you are struggling, hang in there.

Nov 2012 started on pristiq 50 mg

Late Aug 2014 started taper (skipping every 2nd day)

Early Sep 2014 went back to daily dose but 75% (later realised closer to 60%)

13 Oct 14 1/2 of 50mg tablet split 2/3 in morning 1/3 in evening

14 Nov 1/4 50mg once a day

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

I've gone up to 4mg Prozac the last two days, Alto. This sleep interruption is horrible something I've never experienced for so long. Tried some healthy approaches but really became desperate so I called for Ambien from my primary-it helps after the melatonin to get me a few hours more of sleep. I did not want complicate with another med!

I've asked my boss about changing my work schedule a little to do no 12 hr shifts. It is getting worse & worse each day rt now no windows really since my sleep has been a problem.

I am so desperate I do want a med to fix this rt now! And it's terrible cause sex is better & I've lost weight and my body feels better. I am almost NONFUNCTIONAL! Sooooo depressed today don't know how I will do it. Maybe it is relapse!

Talked with my sisters & we have such mental struggling negative poor coping issues in my family! They think I'll probably need to stay on a med. My husband doesn't really want me to but sees it might have to be.

Please someone HELP! My life was fine I don't want to become totally disabled! I could use any kind of help out there!

3.6mg hold since June 18

• Administrator

Did going to 4mg help a bit?

No unfortunately not at all. Only the Ambien 5mg helped me to get a little more sleep and taking it was out of sheer desperation.

I switched off Prozac @ 8 years ago when peri menopause started and I got so anxious - it seemed to do nothing for me any longer. I hope it isn't making me anxious now!

Again I feel so hopeless and want to remain positive. Do I updose more?

3.6mg hold since June 18

Well everyone I am almost nonfunctional sooo quickly even after acupuncture. My system cannot take lack of sleep & being wired. I believe I may have no choice but to reinstate something more than the 4mg Prozac. I at least was able to work no problem & hang in there before. Why is it sooo hard now, why did this unbelievable stage in this process happen? No one knows... I really want to fight this devil hard but I am so all over the place! I wish I could stop thinking about it. As MamaP recently said " the silence is deafening"!

But there is chatter in the head somewhere. I did ask my boss to change my hours a little-did not want to put a spotlight myself at work. My husband is getting very tired of this, too...

I am just making myself more anxious by doing this thread so sorry gotta go... As I've said before there is so much more I could contribute but can't...

Bye

3.6mg hold since June 18

• Administrator

Do what you need to do to take care of yourself, please.

Fireball2014. I've just read through all your posts and I'm so sad and scared for you and even more terrified of starting to taper off pristiq for myself. I am so appreciative that you have commented throughout your journey on what you are experiencing because I would have never guessed that tapering a drug 5 months ago would be causing such effects today. I can hear your desperation in the last few posts and I am praying for you to find strength and wisdom as to what to do next. Hang in there. 

My Introduction

I've been on pretty much every antidepressant at some point over the last15 years with nothing that ever works (because it wasn't depression due to a chemical imbalance).

4/1 - Started Pristiq 50mg

4/13 - Pristiq 100mg

9/25 - Have decided to stop Pristiq 100mg. Researching how to withdrawal and am scared to death!

10/2 - 50mg pill plus small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/7 - 50mg pill plus very small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; very small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/9 - 50 mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/4 of 50mg pill in the evening

10/15 - 50mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/8 of 50mg pill in the evening

• Administrator

Fireball, how long have you been off Pristiq?

Oldgator just want to say quickly until I get on my computer later that I appreciate your prayers for me more than you could ever know...

Please listen to Alto & other moderators about tapering ever so slowly because your chances are infinitely better for success. Mogfish did an excellent taper directly from Pristiq; it took over a year. I tapered way too fast because I was suffering so bad from migraines & just went to my PC for help. I wish I could change all that now...

I actually had a good day yesterday at work & home; did not have extremely dreadful anxiety. Today I feel pulled down into depression instead.

I'm hoping/praying to God to get back to a slow but steady improvement state which I was having about a month ago. This roller coaster ride is unbearable. But I want my life back!

3.6mg hold since June 18

Alto thank you ever so much for checking in on me!

It's been almost 6 months since I've been off Pristiq.

Maybe the Prozac is paradoxical now. It seemed to have pooped out after peri menopause; then I was started on other AD's. But how could one know...

I wondering too if acupuncture is is actually not beneficial to me now for awhile?

Still hanging in there...

3.6mg hold since June 18

Fireball -

I just want to give you some encouragement. It is not you...it is the drugs!!!

I also experienced the crippling insomnia, anxiety several months after tapering quickly from Pristiq.  I reinstated Pristiq after 5+ months off and now am every so slowly tapering.  

I have also found acupuncture to be very beneficial.  Fish oil seems to help as well.   

You and I are not alone in this fight!   

Pdg

Started Pristiq in 2009

Weaned off in Fall of 2013 using skipping dose method advised by doctor

Intense anxiety, insomnia, weightloss in early 2014

Prescribed multiple meds including klonopin, trazodone and 50 mg Pristiq

Finally found a psychiatrist to help me withdraw

Reduced to larger half of 50mg on July 19

Reinstated to larger half and large 1/4 of 50mg on Aug 6

Reduced to larger half of 50 mg around Aug 30

Reduced to large quarter end of November

Slowly reducing with help of a scale

Oldgator just want to say quickly until I get on my computer later that I appreciate your prayers for me more than you could ever know...

Please listen to Alto & other moderators about tapering ever so slowly because your chances are infinitely better for success. Mogfish did an excellent taper directly from Pristiq; it took over a year. I tapered way too fast because I was suffering so bad from migraines & just went to my PC for help. I wish I could change all that now...

I actually had a good day yesterday at work & home; did not have extremely dreadful anxiety. Today I feel pulled down into depression instead.

I'm hoping/praying to God to get back to a slow but steady improvement state which I was having about a month ago. This roller coaster ride is unbearable. But I want my life back!

I am so scared to taper. I took 50mg for about 1.5 weeks and the side effects were so bad. The dr warned me of this and told me to jump to 100mg to by-pass the side effects. I did and now I've been on 100mg for 3.5 months. I've had headaches that are so painful they put the menstrual migraines I get to shame. Nothing makes these headaches stop either. No sort of drug. I have maxalt but from what I've read, I shouldn't take that. I can totally see just wanting to stop taking it (I want to just quit) but then listening to you encourage a long taper, I want to do it right. But my head is killing me. If the headaches aren't bad enough, I've gained weight and that is so very frustrating for me.

I will continue to follow you and have you in my prayers. Keep fighting. I feel like you could be me writing this so my heart really does ache for you. Glad you had a good day yesterday. Keep those memories and thoughts rather than focus on the days that aren't so good. 

My Introduction

I've been on pretty much every antidepressant at some point over the last15 years with nothing that ever works (because it wasn't depression due to a chemical imbalance).

4/1 - Started Pristiq 50mg

4/13 - Pristiq 100mg

9/25 - Have decided to stop Pristiq 100mg. Researching how to withdrawal and am scared to death!

10/2 - 50mg pill plus small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/7 - 50mg pill plus very small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; very small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/9 - 50 mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/4 of 50mg pill in the evening

10/15 - 50mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/8 of 50mg pill in the evening

• Administrator

The only way to tell if a little bit more Prozac would be better is to increase it slightly, such as by 0.5mg, and see.

It's possible acupuncture can help you get through this rough patch.

Pdg610, oldgator and everyone else out there I thank you for your support as always. Mogfish, it has not been going very well for me any longer! After 6 months on the 4mg Prozac bridge for Pristiq withdrawal I have reached a totally unstable state. I started with the intractable insomnia & constant state of panic about a month ago. I had been getting acupuncture txs, 14 of them total. I have become worried finally about performing at my job, feel almost nonfunctional. I felt so crazy last night I almost went to the hospital which would have been the worst choice in the world & not just because I work there! So I went up to 8mg Prozac for 2 days, then 10mg for 1, then 20mg for the last 3 after I saw my GP. Have an appt with my old psych MD, then a new psych MD the following week. The therapist I went to once who I really liked so far had to take a medical leave (will pray for her). Can't seem to get anywhere with finding help quick enough! I have to stay strong! I'm counting on this reinstatement of the 20mg which is what I probably should have done in the first place after the fast Pristiq taper, considering I've been on these meds for 25 years. Please let it just take this week! I'm tired & less wound up today which is a good thing but every single day is sooo different lately, up & down. I better go because thinking too much about it now gets me going. Hopefully I will adjust & in the long run & taper extremely slow again over years. I just had to be a sensitive one, that's been my life problem, it's time for change! Got to think positive!

We are all very different aren't we?!?!

3.6mg hold since June 18

Have there been many others would have had this insurmountable problem at six months and had to reinstate more medication?

3.6mg hold since June 18

• Administrator

It's not insurmountable. Some have reinstated.

10mg Prozac might work just as well. It takes 4 days for a change to fully register in your system.

Fireball!

I am so sorry to hear you are having such a horrible time. I imagine you are feeling very disheartened and scared at the moment. Please remember we are all here for you to offer you support and we understand what you are going through and how you must be feeling and the desperation you must feel to get some relief from your symptoms.  You are so right in that we are all very different. Listen to the advice you are being given on here and most importantly follow your gut instincts Fireball, your body knows what it needs but sometimes we get so frightened and desperate that we forget to listen.

Hugs!

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
To try to simply summarise my dosing method……….
*Big half  in morning quarter in early evening (around 4pm) 
*Small half in morning and quarter in evening
*Small half in morning then 1/8 in evening
*big half in morning and evening dose dropped
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*small quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
* a nibble of the already tiny tablet :))
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free