Altostrata

Australia members, please check in here

NJJ

Re: lawsuit

I have spoken to Tony, the cost is a donation it is NOT mandatory. They will still take you onboard even if you do not have the dough.

ExLexa

Hi everyone, just wanted to check in here with my fellow country people. Sorry that we are drawn together under such awful circumstances. I am 6 months post lexapro and have just realised that one of my main WD symptoms is akathisia. I didn't know what I was feeling had a name. I don't have the type where one can't sit still. I have the inner dread, turmoil, terror, agitation that feels like adrenaline circulating constantly throughout my body for hours on end. It is hell.

Hoping you are all coping ok with wherever you are at, my heart goes out to all of you.

Ex

ang

Hi ExLexa............. yes that is the most horrible part.  Worse in the mornings for me.  I just went through a horrible week, couldn't leave the house, couldn't dpo much at all.  Today I feel a bit better, and am grateful.  I have been off SSRIs about 15 months.      WD hit about 12 months ago.      

I think I was at my worst at around 6-8 months ago.

Good luck and god bless.

Pattycat

Hi everyone, i live in regional victoria, about 100 km from Melbourne, in ballarat. I am so grateful for the support i receive from this forum.i have been on up to 250 mg pristiq some years ago,now down to 10 mg brintellix. Traveling fairly well, hopefully i will start a 10% taper soon.

ang

Welcome Patti cat,  well done....   and welcome to the group, I am in regional Western Australia.  Havent been on your meds, so cant give advice....

I would say you know how bad things can get, and you are now obviously better informated, and your strategy sounds great.  If I were you I would not even consider tapering for at least another six months.

I have gone off meds before, seemed to be doing alright, only to crash 12 months later............  I should think this may be the same for a sudden 50% cut, a big cut.

Happypuppy

Hi everyone, i live in regional victoria, about 100 km from Melbourne, in ballarat. I am so grateful for the support i receive from this forum.i have been on up to 250 mg pristiq some years ago,now down to 10 mg brintellix. Traveling fairly well, hopefully i will start a 10% taper soon.

Hey Pattycat, I'm in the greater metropolitan area of Melb. I hope you're ok and doing well, best of luck to you :)  Ballarat's a fairly big town, albeit it is regional, so hopefully you are not too isolated.  xx As ang says in their signature, magnesium is great, as is fish oil

Faithgrl

Hi all, I am from Sydney, been on Cipramil for 10 years and finally coming off cause the bloody thing stopped working.

Just wanted to say hi to you all Aussies going through WD.....

Really sucks that both my GP and shrink assured me that there is no issues going off 5mg of Cipramil cold turkey as they think I am on a "very small dose" .....

I have tried coming off in the past and the dizziness was so bad I went back on. Now that the board has alerted me to the 10% method I'll give that a crack...

I think the fact that I am a 5 foot Asian who has a family history of being sensitive to medication has something to do with it!

Seeker53

Hi fellow Aussies, it's sad that we are all somewhere along this awful journey but great that we have support here.

I'm from Hervey Bay in qld - where the whales come to rest and play with Fraser Island just across the bay. It's a great place to live but there is not a great deal of good quality help. Having said that tho I just got given the name of a great clinical psychologist so I'm going to get a referral from my doctor. For me, talking about what I'm going through and how I'm feeling does help.

Hope everyone is staying positive, stable and safe. S

Seeker53

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to change how threads come up so that the most recent post shows at the top of page one? I'm not finding where I can do this but I must be looking in the wrong place. Thanks, S

Fresh

Hiya Faithgrl and Seeker. You both may be interested in the class action against manufacturers of some

SSRI's. Scroll up for details how to contact Drayton Sher Lawyers.

Seeker , I don't know if you can do that. If no one here knows , best place to ask is in the

Technical Issues section.

Faithgrl

Hey Fresh - the Drayton Sher Lawyers is really interesting. Did you sign up?  Whats the process like? How confidential is it? I don't want people (specifically work) to know that I have been medicated and personally I am not so interested in the money but want to support the cause and stop GPs prescribing anti-depressants like they are candy....

Fresh

It's the first case like this in Australia as far as we know Faithgrl.

The lawyer organizing it has a website called Australian Taxpayers Against Fraud and False Claims

www.ataf.com.au and is involved in litigation in many areas.

I've spoken with him at length and he really gets it. The process is TOTALLY confidential. Many

people feel the same as you and would only pursue this privately.

Unfortunately I'm not eligible because I have a private medical negligence action going against a GP.

Something about not being paid twice for the same injury. Bummer , lol.

I'd encourage everyone to contact Tony and have a chat. They need numbers.

JanCarol

HEY AUSSIES - 

Opportunity knocks - hubby and I are taking a road trip in Feb - March.

I'd love to have a cuppa with anyone who is anywhere near our itinerary - Pattycat - you are in Ballarat - where we will be staying a week!  I'd love it if we could hook up with other Melbournites along the way.

Here's the rough itinerary:

2 days Port Macquarie

(sorry, we're skipping Sydney, another time Fresh and Chess   :mellow: )

5 days Canberra

1 night Wangaratta

7 days Ballarat

1 night Narranberra

3 nights Dubbo

1 night Boggavilla before returning home to Brissy.

IF YOU ARE ANYWHERE NEAR this itinerary please, let's meet up for a cuppa, a chin wag, and a hug?  Dalsaan, are you ANYwhere near any of these?

my email is w_o_w at optusnet.com.au or you can message me here at SA.  

c'mon Aussies, we've got a NZ gathering gonna happen in May when hubby and I go there - let's not let the Kiwis show up Aussies!   :lol:

ChessieCat

ang

Hi Fresh  do you have the phone number of tony,  I need to chat,  I just finding it too hard to get started with all this, and a chat would help.          I know I have a good case, against zoloft, all the records everything, just need a chat to see how long I have to be strong enough to find all this stuff. And I want to do it, not just for myself, but if I have decent medical reports, and details, it can help others.

Fresh

Ang , I should have worded that better. Lawyers are hard to catch on the phone.

I'd contact him by email and ask him to phone you , or tell you what you need to provide.

Drayton Sher Lawyers

3 Spring Street.

Sydney NSW 2000

T: 02 8249 4513

F: 02 8249 4001

E: tony@draytonsherlawyers.com.au

M: 0421 366 238

ang

Thankyou so much,   there are articles circulating in mainstream media, and on the net now, about this, so that is great, it looks like it is going ahead.  (And of course I shared in on all of my fb aliases?)

ChessieCat

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to change how threads come up so that the most recent post shows at the top of page one? I'm not finding where I can do this but I must be looking in the wrong place. Thanks, S

I've already posted my tip on Seeker's topic but thought I'd post it here too:

I've checked out the site and I don't think the order of posts can be changed so they show up from newest to oldest.  However, if you go to the View New Content (top right) after logging in there are options on the left hand side, for example Content I Have Not Read.  I discovered accidentally (just a short whole ago) that if you hover between the Topic Name on the Left and the Replies/Avatar/Last Poster on the Right, an arrow shows up which you can click on.  You then get the option of going to the Last Unread Post, or if you want the very last post, click on the last link just above the condensed version of the last post.  I actually Right Click Open in New Tab so I don't have to keep remembering not to close the window when I have finished.

Then F5 key to refresh the window.

CC

Suzq

Hi everyone. I'm from Hobart, Tasmania. I've been skulking around this forum for a while now so it is time for me to come out in the open & thank all of you for being so open & sharing your experiences & thoughts.

I am the spouse of a patient taking Pristiq for about 8 months. I'm not sure what dose he is on as he very secretive about his treatment but I do know that his dose has been increased recently & hence the changes in his behaviour have increased.

Reading from this forum has made me realise that his treatment is probably excessive as he presented to his GP with relatively mild circumstantial anxiety. He probably wasn't informed by his GP about the side effects of this Big Pharma poison. I certainly wasn't. I'm sure if he had been advised he would have thought twice about starting.

Apart from physically feeling like crap when he first went on Pristiq the 'relief' from his symptoms was almost instant & so because he received that instant gratification he embraced it as a 'wonder drug'.

Since that time his personality has altered so much. Like many others have said on here, he believes that "he can see more clearly now" & that "I am the root of his problems". Well maybe I am to some extent but I'm sure I'm not the only cause contrary to what he believes.

Any way, I just want to say again thank you to all of you from the bottom of my heart for helping me understand a bit of what might be going on. I know this is a forum for people coming off SSRIs & he is not yet at that point yet but I hope that he will be soon & I then I will have a rightful place on this forum.

Fresh

Hi Suzq ,  welcome.  Glad you found your way here , and have gained a clearer perspective on what's been happening for your husband.

You do have a rightful place here - please feel welcome to start a thread in the Introductions forum.  Ideally , we'd encourage hubby to start reading on here , in the hopes of encouraging him to taper slowly.  

But one thing at a time . . .

There's an active thread for spouses here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/11006-support-for-spouses-of-ssris-a-safe-place-to-vent/

bw ,  Fresh

ang

Welcome Suzq.  I think I was that spouse from hell while on the drugs, ended my marriage.    Has taken me a year or two to admit that, it is hard remembering how different I was on the tablets, now I am off them... it is difficult to come to terms with.............. Think you hit the nail on the head  ""I could see more clearly and he was the root of all my problems"".........................   but I had been married to him for nearly 30 years, only took two years on effexor to destroy it, and it was all over...........    Evil, evil drugs.

Welcome!

Suzq

Thank you for your warm welcome Ang & Fresh.

I removed myself from our family home last Friday night & I'm staying with friends. I felt like I was butting my head against a brick wall & was letting the frustration of his non responsiveness get the better of me. I believe that anther week of dealing with his mood swings & rages would have sent me off the deep end too. Plus my attitude before understanding that my beautiful husband of 27 years was under an evil spell was not helping.

I had no contact with him until Wednesday but after reading so many stories on this forum I decided to ask him out on a date this Friday night. His response was positive & he has booked a table somewhere (a surprise). One positive step at a time. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm hoping that in the coming weeks he will be responsive enough for me to suggest that he visits this site. But I won't bring it up on our date as I want it to be as exciting & positive as possible (don't want to spoil it). He might even experience a boost of dopamine seeing me after my week of absence which might help with his responsiveness.

I also realised that it's been 18 months living with Pristiq not 8. The last 12 months have been a blur of misery. I will edit my post to reflect this change & copy to the intro page.

Hopeful.

ang

Good luck Suzq.   Your health is your number one priority......................          

Suzq

Thanks ang,

I have an hour to go before hubby arrives to pick me up for our dinner date. My emotions are swinging from excited to nervous.

I just have to keep reminding myself that although I am dying for answers I must resist the temptation to ask. If he's going to have a chance of feeling better I must keep my personal needs to myself. I must not be destructive. Thanks to the people sharing their experiences on this forum I realise that is what I must do to help him and when he is ready and feeling more like his old self he may open up to me again.

I want so desperately for things to go back to the way they were before Pristiq but I know that is not possible right now so I need to keep reminding myself that this is the first baby step towards recovery and that there is still a loooong way to go. But my love for him is super strong so I will have to learn to be patient if it's going to work.

Fortunately I have a couple of good friends who are supportive of us both, so if I have to remove myself from the situation again I can hang with them for a few days.

Suzq

Does anyone know why the law suit by Drayton Sher doesn't include Pristiq?

Their press release only says

Aropax/paxtine (Paroxatine); Zoloft (Sertraline); (Fluoxetine) Prozac/Erocap/Lovan/Zactin (Fluoxetine); (Fluvoxamine) Luvox/Faverin (Fluvoxamine); Cipramil, Talohexal (Citalapram); (Venlafaxine), Efexor-XR (Venlafaxine).

ang

I am amazed they are taking on so many actually!  Usually these class actions only take on one drug.............    I am in for the Aropax, the zoloft and the effexor!               http://www.pristiq.com/ Seems desvenlaxafine (pristiq)  is the new updated venlaxafine  (effexor)..........    contact the lawyers and find out.                     Mostly takes about 20 years, to prove how dangerous these things are, I assume pristiq hasnt been around long enough, for the damage to be showing up yet............   but I may be wrong...

Suzq

Hi ang,

That makes sense. I didn't know about the 20 year thing. I will call them anyway as they may have grouped Pristiq with Effexor or they might consider adding it.

NJJ

It appears the zoloft shortage has been resolved. I rang a couple of chemists who said the Pfizer brand should be available next week. The TGA has posted that the issues is resolved.

http://apps.tga.gov.au/prod/MSI/search/

dalsaan

That Zoloft shortage issue was so odd. Said it was a global issue with sourcing an ingredient but no where else was affected

D

BarryHamburger

Anyone have a hard time getting contact from Drayton Sher?   This firm sure is a bit slack on the communication department.   Finally got a call, sent in my 'form', and haven't received an email back since.

And agree with above...taking on multiple manufacturers seems odd.  

Fresh

Hi Barry , welcome.    Hopefully Dreyton Sher are dealing with hundreds of eligible cases.  This may take a year or two.

You might send an email asking them to confirm receipt of your form , and include any other questions you have.

Please share any info. so we all get the update.  

:)

Clunezgirl

Hello fellow Aussies,

Personally, I would be cautious of jumping into a class action involving multiple Big Pharmas...The evidentiary and jurisdictional issues alone are mind boggling...Best of luck to those who decide to become involved, but be mindful of potential and actual stresses associated with litigation and lawyers. Also be clear about what you hope to achieve by becoming involved in litigation... Sticking it to The Man? Compensation for your suffering? Justice, even?!

(I was once was a lawyer and it didn't take long to realise that law and justice should never be confused....)

I hope you're all travelling tolerably with your withdrawal and/ or recovery...Really tough for me this past month since I stopped tapering ...nearly 20 years on/ off SSRIs ....late last year. While its tempting at times to reinstate to alleviate the worst of the symptoms, I am determined not to. In a weird way am kinda 'enjoying' being able to weep again after so many years functioning in a dulling carapace.

Just have to maintain insight into what's going on and trust that it will pass, tomorrow is another day, etc etc ...Gosh, I make it sound so EASY!

Clunezgirl

From what I can discern from googling Drayton Sher Class Action...the proposed action concerns suicidal thoughts caused by the use of ADMs by adolescents and failure of the manufacturers to warn. ..This is a fairly specific cause of action involving a limited class of people. Consequently, damage caused by 'discontinuation syndrome' appears to be outside of the proposed action.

Fresh

These are two separate areas that have been identified Clunezgirl.

1. adolescents affected by suicidal ideation from ad's and

2. failure of manufacturers to warn of  (...of side effects / withdrawal symptoms).

The groups are mutually exclusive - you do not have to qualify in both groups.

Most of the members of this site who have been affected would qualify under the manufactures' failure to warn

" If you have been prescribed any of the above named antidepressant drugs and have suffered suicidal feelings, prolonged side-effects or other dangerous side-effects, then you should contact us.

Discontinuation syndrome is covered under the phrase "side effects" as used in the press release / website.

Fresh

For further discussion of the class action , there is now a thread in the Off Topic forum , for members only.

ChessieCat

Hi Fellow Aussies, you might be interested in this.

When researching it if another Surviving Antidepressants member, I discovered it is for all Australians (not just NSW).

You might want to consider the MindSpot Clinic.  There are 6 tailored courses.

Information Brochure About MindSpot            Website:  https://mindspot.org.au/

It's FREE for Australians.  I highly recommend it.

My Story:  Prior to the workshop I had been seeing a psychologist and also read several books and done a lot of internet research.  Even though I know most of what the workshop taught, I found that it brought together everything I knew in a simple way and encouraged me to put what I learned into practice.  I did the 8 week online workshop through them at the end of 2014 and have found it very helpful.  It has helped me to recognise when I am getting anxious and has taught me the skills I need to reduce it.

How It Helped:  Just before Christmas 2015 I had to go shopping and was sitting at the computer and was feeling sick in the stomach and starting to stress out about what I had to do.  Because of what I had learned, I recognised that the sick feeling was the adrenaline so I did controlled breathing and was able to calm myself down and stop a full on panic attack.  And managed to go out and do what I needed to do.  Whilst driving there I kept telling myself that I could do it and would be okay.

CBT cognitive behaviour therapy (added so it can be found when searching)

Edited by ChessieCat
added CBT at bottom of post