Altostrata

New York members, please check in here

Altostrata

Please post below if you live in New York.

I am thinking that connecting our members geographically will enable

• Face-to-face meetings or phone contacts for those of you who wish to meet
  • Support groups
  • Sharing information about doctors, clinics, compounding pharmacies, etc.
  • Organizing to educate physicians, hospitals, and university professors
  • Organizing to contact members of local and national government
  • Research by New York researchers

Even if you don't wish to do any of the above, if you are in New York, please check in here.

Please also click the Follow This Topic button at the top right so you will receive notices about others posting here.

AND -- if you've haven't introduced yourself to the rest of the community yet, please go to our Introductions and Updates forum and start a topic for yourself. You can post updates to your Intro topic to track your progress.

Edited by Altostrata
updated

carbonek3

I have been living in New York for the past 2 1/2 years. I see that no one has responded to this thread so far, but thought I would, in case someone has any resources or doctor recommendations.

In other threads I've noted that some people have had success with Dr. Brogan and Dr. Samoon.

Unfortunately, I have limited insurance coverage and a low income, so neither is an option for me. On Mad in America, but not on this board, I've seen Sarton Weinraub and the Person-Centered Resource Center listed in the service directory. They take many insurances, and their price point of $100-150 is more manageable for me, especially if I can get some out-of-network coverage. Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with them? Because Sarton Weinraub has praised Breggin's work, there is a possibility that he does not believe in post-continuation withdrawal syndrome.

nycdreamer

Hi guys. Are you in Manhattan? I live in midtown!

leahy

I live on Long Island. Sharing resources in New York could be very helpful to us all. A support group would be wonderful. I hope more people see this. I've been on SA since April 1, 2015 and just came across this today. The truth is I have not had much clarity of mind or sense of well being these months and can easily miss things even though I read SA constantly, reading the same thing 2 or 3 times without realizing it...

Leahy

Laa

I live in long island also. Been following this a while but just signed in today. Have been struggling with pass for three years now. Looking for some support bc tonight I don't think I can deal with this anymore.

leahy

Hi Laa,

Surviving Antidepressants is a really good support system. I know how difficult it is to come off these drugs. We all know. I am so sorry you are having a bad time. Please hang on. We all want to help you very much.

Have you gone to introductions and written a signature? It's not hard to do and it will help the moderators advise on how to deal with your particular situation. 

Someone will come along soon and give you more advice than I can. It helps if they have information about what medications you are dealing with. We all care about you. You are not alone.

Leahy

thelonewalker

Hi all

I too live near New York city, in Jersey City to be specific, 10 mins from lower Manhattan.

I was wondering if anybody would be able to recommend good doctors in the region who have successful taper cases. 

I have been on Luvox 300 mg, Buspar 10 mg and Xanax 0.5 mg for almost 6 years after I had a severe panic attack.I have a history of severe OCD/depression/anxiety.

Never had any problems on meds.

Now I m almost symptom free for last 3 years. But starting last year, have been experiencing drop in physical stamina, frequent sore throats, sometimes flu-like illness triggered by light exercise.

Although the fatigue seems to alleviated by sleep, but that has meant my sleep requirements have increased tremendously.

When I stumbled upon this forum while looking for answers I learnt that this may be a case of delayed onset side effects caused by SSRI.So was wondering if I should start with taper.

Look forward to find solution to my problem here. Hope I havent bored you with my story

Thanks

leahy

Your story is not boring at all, lonewalker! 

Sometimes these medications affect us in ways we are not aware of while taking them.

Since you are feeling relatively 'good' right now, it might be a good time to consider beginning a taper.

Lowering your dosages VERY slowly is the ideal way of coming off. You would have the luxury of not struggling with the pressure of time to get off.

Leahy

thelonewalker

Thanks leahy.. Your reply is a welcome change of the day, especially since I am yet to see a psychiatrist (will be in the coming week) and also since today I feel more uncomfortably fatigued than I have felt ever before..! Good to see that I have at least something positive to think of as of now (no time pressure) .. :)

marie123

Hi everyone in New York. I'm a Long Islander. I've tapered Ambien, tapered Trazodone and just reinstated a month ago. Have to taper Remeron later. I hope to get past all of this nonsense and live a happy life!

Marie

leahy

Welcome, Marie.

marie123

Thanks for the warm welcome Leahy. I've been following your remeron taper. You've done very well tapering to a low dose.

marie

Stormstrong

Wow, hello. I'm really glad to find this thread. Do any of you use Skype together?

I've spent most of my life online and on forums... face to face support would be a nice change, too. 

Am also looking for a good doctor that can guide me through the withdrawals. I'm on Medicaid, so will have to see how viable this is.

I've been living in Nyc for something like 16 years, though I'm not originally from here. I've no idea how or why I'm still here, as I can't wait to live somewhere rural, pretty and quiet; I'm in poverty, at the moment, though. But I think there's much opportunity for healing here. I live at the very north tip of Manhattan, by some grace... the parks keep me sane. Terribly lonely, supported by family I need to get away from, and I have an appointment on Tuesday at Vocational Rehab... that's really my only hope. 

Zant808

I'm in New Jersey and it takes on average an hour for me to get into New York City.

I live in Orange County NY

injuredman

Hi,

I live in Upstate NY state, I would like to start a support group here, if anyone knows of anyone.

DrugfreeProf

Hello. I'm just outside Albany, New York, if anyone is close enough to want to connect in person or even by phone!  Please let me know, and feel free to PM me via this site.

fightback72

Hey everyone. I live in the Bronx, New York. Would love to have more support.

Lojo016

I’m in Westchester if anyone wants to pm, Skype or connect

street129
On 9/18/2017 at 9:12 AM, fightback72 said:

Hey everyone. I live in the Bronx, New York. Would love to have more support.

i would love support also, it hurts when you are dealing with this alone, im in manhattan, and i  have reinstate my pill back to 250mg, from tapering to 225mg and was not getting better, i am on my 4th day tonight back to my original dose and will look for imporvement and maybe drop to 5 percent in a month.  i cant get no help with this. how you doing.

Nony

Hello. I'm new to this website - hope this is allowed.

I'm a victim of psychiatric medication taken as prescribed - though I am currently not suffering from antidepressants specifically. However, I do have a friend who's four years off an anti-d and still suffering. I'd like to form a Meetup for people who are suffering from withdrawal symptoms a year or more off their medications, taken as prescribed. Are there any people on this group who live in the tristate area and would be interested?

Courageous
Posted (edited)

I live in New York City and am checking in.  I'm pursing a few leads for psychiatrists to work with and will let you know what I find.

So far I've found Ellen Vora through an interview in which she expresses sympathy with our cause.  She currently has a short waitlist.  She charges $2,000 for an initial consultation and follow-up appointments can be in-person ($600/hr) or by phone/video ($275/30-minutes).

NOTE:  Please see this post for another member's opinion.  CC-Mod

Edited by ChessieCat
added note

Altostrata
33 minutes ago, Courageous said:

She charges $2,000 for an initial consultation and follow-up appointments can be in-person ($600/hr) or by phone/video ($275/30-minutes).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChessieCat
1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SA if free, gratis.

Hibari
1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is sympathetic but lacks true experience in how to deal with the  complexities of medication withdrawal.  

I know this by someone she treated and while warm and caring, she is out of depth in terms of what is really needed for guidance in withdrawal.   This site has much better guidance and I directed the person who worked with her here. Tends to offer much of the same advice as Kelly Brogan who I believe was her mentor.   And while some of the advice, healthy eating, detoxing etc can be helpful, it is very generic.