SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

kittymeowmeow Tapering Venlafaxin 150mg (generic effexor)

kittymeowmeow

So, I've decided to start tapering my dose of venlafaxin, or Effexor, so I decided to join this forum to get help, tips, ideas and so on.

I haven't noticed many benefits, and to be honest I think I was just prescribed antidepressants because hey, that's what doctors do these days. I originally just wanted to see a psychologist/therapist, because I realise my problems can't be fixed with medication. Hell, I don't know if therapy would help either, but I figured it'd be worth a shot.

The side effects during day time aren't too bad, except for the occasional anxiety/restlessness when I'm out and about, and also mistaking grout between tiles as holes/stairs etc. This doesn't happen too often, but it's difficult to get home when I feel like I'm about to trip and fall every 5 seconds.

The venlafaxin has also caused me to have extremely vivid nightmares, which was originally one of the reasons that caused me to seek help: vivid nightmares that made me wake up feeling extremely anxious. These nightmares were about things I was consciously anxious about, childhood bullying, body image and self-esteem issues etc.

NOW I'm still having those nightmares, AND also nightmares about things I've never been scared of, like spiders, guns and, well, anything.

The dreams have caused me to do a bit of self searching, but I'd still rather just sleep properly, which I haven't been able to do for a few months now.

I've only forgotten to take my medication once, and after that one time, the nightmares were terrible. But now they're always like that, because of the medication.

I haven't been taking the AD's for long, started with Effexor 37,5mg on 24th of December 2013, then after a week it was upped to 75mg, and in February my doctor doubled my dose, to 150mg. After the start I've been eating generic drugs rather than effexor and personally I didn't notice any difference.

Unlike effexor, the generic brand has pellets inside the capsule rather than tiny round spheres. The pellets are 12,5mg each, so 6 pellets in a 75mg capsule and 12 in a 150mg capsule.

The capsule is described as a "depot capsule", but I'm not entirely sure if that refers to the capsule, or the small pellets inside it? I've been wondering if this is similar, or the same thing as Effexor XR?

Do you know if opening said depot capsules is safe? I was planning on opening a capsule, without breaking it, taking one pellet out for X amount of time, then two, three and so on.

Does opening the capsule and then closing it again affect... things? Something, anything, a lot of things?

Also, how long does it 'generally' take to come off effexor? Several months?

I've read scary stories about someone's doctor halving the patient's dose right away, and then again as a way to taper it, and to me that barely sounds like tapering. Sounds more like trouble.

Anyway, all tips and tricks and advice and questions are appreciated, and thanks if you bothered to read all that!

24th of December, 2013: 75mg Venlafaxin

12th of February, 2014: 150mg Venlafaxin

Tapering:

3rd of May, 2014: 150-> 137,5mg Venlafaxin

10th of May, 137,5-> 125mg

17th of May, 125-> 112,5mg

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

26th of June, 50mg, quit taking the medication.

• Administrator

Welcome, kittymeowmeow.

It does sound like you've been taking a dosage of venlafaxine that's too high for you, and it's been activating. But it still needs to be tapered.

Here is our topic for tapering venlafaxine http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

I'm not sure about that type of extended-release venlafaxine. Other of our members have had capsules with pellets inside, as you describe, and found they could remove the pellets to taper.

What is the manufacturer of your drug? You might contact the manufacturer and ask if the capsule is a plain gelatin capsule.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

This is a description of a "depot capsule":

An osmotic device is disclosed for delivering an agent to an environment of use. The device comprises (1) a semipermeable wall, surrounding a compartment with a passageway through the wall for delivering an agent from the compartment, and (2) an osmotic system in the compartment comprising a body formed of a polymer having depots consisting of an agent osmotic solute dispersed in the polymer and surrounded individually by a layer of the polymer. In operation, agent is delivered by the device imbibing fluid from the environment through the semipermeable wall into the compartment, with the system imbiding fluid from the compartment into the depots dissolving the solute and filling the depots with solution, thereby causing the depots to form apertures and release agent, with (a) the system delivering the agent at a controlled rate to the compartment 128/260 and (b ) the device delivering the agent from the compartment at a controlled rate through the passageway to the exterior of the device."

So not just a plain capsule. I guess you would have to open one, and then open one of the inner film capsules to see if there are pellets inside. Or switch to a non-depot type that has pellets.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

I'm not sure if that's a depot capsule that can be swallowed, cw: http://www.patentbuddy.com/Patent/4278087

Knowing the manufacturer will help track this information down.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

Wee update from me: I've been tapering one pellet per week since starting May 3rd. I understand that this is a bit fast, and I've had a few bad days as far as mood is concerned (suicidal thoughts etc, despair, hopelessness, pointlessness), but I haven't noticed any physical withdrawal/tapering/quitting symptoms. The dark moods are usually gone in a day or two, and I think they could also just be a result of my constantly changing sleeping pattern, and a self-hate/disgust I've had all my life. The medication hasn't changed that and I don't think it was ever going to, hence the tapering.

I'm now down to 100mg/8/12 pellets actually, do you have suggestions about maybe halting the tapering for a while at some point, 75mg or something, to give my brain/body time to adjust itself to the change? Or since my tapering has gone rather smoothly, should I just keep going?

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

• Administrator

Yes, stop tapering occasionally to relieve your nervous system from adjusting.

How long should I stop it for, any suggestions? 4 weeks? I'm not too familiar with the maths of the tapering process.

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Generally, a month is good, but if you feel unstable at that point, continue to hold.  Successful (comfortable) tapering depends largely on listening to your body rather than any sort of set schedule. Being comfortable and functional is far more important than sticking to a time frame.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I'm feeling well atm, and I feel I just got medicated quite unnecessarily anyway. I've got issues with my self image and those just won't be fixed with pills.

However, I'd rather slow down a bit rather than have to later face the consequences of tapering too fast :)

No issues so far, but I'll pause the tapering for a few weeks when I hit 75mg, give my brain a rest.

Thanks!

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

• Moderator Emeritus

If I were you I would hold for a few weeks at the dose you are taking now to allow your nervous

system to catch up, as Alto suggested.  It can take a while for your brain to register the decrease

and withdrawal symptoms can appear when everything seems to have been going well.

You haven't been on them very long and could be fine ok but in my experience effexor withdrawal

can raise it's ugly head when you think everything is going fine! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Yeah I'm hoping it'll go well cause I've been on it for such a short time, but you're right, rather safe than sorry, I'll pause it for a bit now :)

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

I just realised a while ago that the terrible stomach pain I've been having is probably due to venlafaxin. It appeared around the same time I started using venlafaxin, and I'm terribly constipated all the time. :( I've had problems with constipation before, but they've definitely been getting worse and worse. I drink gallons of water, eat fresh fruit and vegetables, and nothing helps.

Eating something like prunes helps a bit, but they also make me bloat like hell and cause a different kind of pain.

Sigh :(

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I had that same problem and it is much better since I started to take probiotic with psyllium husk.

I also cut out anything with yeast and started using lactose free milk.

Now my gut is much healthier  and the constipation is gone as long as I remember the probiotic. 

The bloating is much much better too unless I go back to unhealthy eating then it's back again.

Also started with  anti depressants! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I don't use dairy products myself so that's not an issue. Probiotics sound like a good idea, and I'll buy some psyllium too. Thanks!

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

Bought them both today, the consistency of psyllium mixed in water is a bit revolting to me, but I don't know any other way to get it in my system, since it turned my morning porridge into a gelatinous rye glob, hahah!

Might also try flaxseed husk, since mixing it into my breakfast porridge would be a possibility.

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Know what you mean about the gelatinous blob, lol. I can't take it in water it makes me gag

but I've got used to putting it in my porridge now and adjusted the amount of oats to 

accommodate the psyllium so it isn't as thick. Then I stir in live yougurt. I use psyllium with

probiotics added but can't remember which ones!   Here is a thread on probiotics and gut health,

there is a lot of useful information in there. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1229-probiotics-and-gut-health/

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I had significant problems with bloating as well. I cut out all enriched wheat products ( I rarely eat any bread anymore) , started eating more fruits and vegetables and for starches I eat mostly sweet and regular potatoes and rice also beans & lentils.

It took nearly 3 months but my gut did heal and I've been regular ever since and that was just under a year ago.

Some people may think I'm alluding to "gluten intolerance"… technically I'm not. I don't pay attention to gluten free products. I just plain quit eating bread. Worked for me. 

RU

oh. And on occasion, especially when I was not getting the exercise I needed during cold, winter months, I did use psyllium. It helped immensely too. I couldn't always tolerate the "globbiness" as well and so on those days & in the morning , I would make a separate, very tall glass ( think 24 oz.) of water with the same , daily recommended amount of psyllium powder and it would taste just like flavored water. I kept it in my sight and drank from it during "breaks" throughout the day and by early evening it was usually gone. Adding ice to it made it all the more appetizing to me. Just a thought.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Administrator

You've got to drink the psyllium in water fast, before it turns into goo. Down the hatch!

To be honest I'm willing to be done with this tapering process as fast as possible, my stomach is causing me too much pain and trouble. I'm feeling pretty content otherwise right now, gaining confidence and so on, this is my only consistent problem.

Just gotta hope I've been on venlafaxin for a short enough time so that my body/brain can adjust more easily. Feels like my gut's getting worse and worse, prunes don't help, psyllium hasn't done anything so far either. Lowering the dose hasn't helped at all either, but then idk if it usually does.

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

• Administrator

Be careful, don't trigger worse withdrawal symptoms.

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped taking Venlafaxin after I'd tapered down to 50mgs. I'd forgotten to take the capsule on time a few times in the last couple of days (about a day too late, so I basically skipped it twice in... 4 days?), so my gut was giving me hell with trying ti decide whether I'm supposed to be constipated or have the runs. Everything in my body felt like it was at a standstill, nothing in my gut was moving anywhere, made apparent by burping, as even air was coming back up rather than, you know, going through. I also threw up and decided I'd see how quitting goes, because it was getting ridiculous.

I've been a bit dizzy, felt a bit nauseous at times, very mild zapping sensations. Also feeling a bit high, similar sensations to when I've stayed up for too long, like 35+ hours. Difficulties to concentrate and being forgetful etc, short attention span, although I've slept well and haven't been up for very long.

My gut is so much better already. All the side/quitting effects have been extremely bearable and I hope if continues this way. I think I've been off them since Thursday, but I'm not sure, heh.

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kitty, I am a bit worried that you are going to suffer worse withdrawal  :unsure: . Hopefully 

you will be ok but if it gets worse you would be better to reinstate as soon as it gets 

hard to cope. I sinserely hope that you are one of the people who manage to get off

without many problems  I forgot mine when I had tapered down to 5 beads. When I

realised I had forgotten  I was feeling fine with no withdrawals so thought I was ready

but a month later I was suffering withdrawal and it took months after reinstating to

feel better again. I have been on different meds on and off for over 20 years though

so it was not surprising really!

Keep us posted won't you?

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kitty,

I'm also concerned after reading your last post.  If your symptoms continue to get worse, please reinstate and resume a proper safe tapering schedule, there is no need to suffer while getting off these drugs.

Do let us know how you are

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I'm fine since I've only been on them for a short while. Yesterday was pretty much symptom free, and I've also been having normal dreams again, instead of the twitchy weirdness I was having while on the drug.

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

MammaP, I did get dizzy when I forgot to take it, both times, which is how I'd realised I'd forgotten it.

After I stopped taking it, the dizziness got a bit worse, but I've just been keeping myself distracted.

Of course it might still get worse, but at least I'm with my family right now if that happens.

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

Been about 12 days now, feeling fine as far as I can tell. Still get extremely mild zaps sometimes when lying down, dreams and stomach is back to how it was before I started taking venlafaxin.

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm happy to hear you are feeling well, you may be one of the lucky ones who can get off these drugs without too many problems.  You were only on it for a couple of months so there is a good possibility that you will be fine now.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Aye I hope so. I think I still get one or two zaps once every day or two days, rarely anyway. And I'm glad I stopped after only half a year on it.

Tapering:

24rd of May, 112-> 100mg