dmarie4301: concerned about panic attacks if I get off paxil

dmarie4301

The original reason I got on prozac was cuz id been suffering from panic for years and finally broke down after two babies under my belt. The drug saved my life, I divorced and went out dancing and working.

I was told that I had panic disorder and would need a med forever. So I am worried that if I get off (and get off the klonopin too) that I will suffer with those attacks again.

But now I have these chestpains and zaps and I HAVE to get off or taper down.

I am brand new on this site and to realizing that my meds are killing me, but hiw to not have attacks without meds?

Donna

12 years on paxil, just starting to wean. Was at 32.5, now at 30 for one week.

Was on prozac ten years prior.

Also been on klonopin for 25 years or so.

I was on trazadone for a year, been off a year now. Trazadone gave me unbearable chest and stomach pains, which disapoeared once I was off. So when chest and stomach pains came back I realized the drugs were doing me in.

I was on vicodin a long time too, but off now. Donna

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Donna,

I moved your post here to our introductions section, you can use this as your ongoing journal, adding to it by using the reply button.  Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations for deciding to come off your meds.  Its great that you found us and will be able to do a slow safe taper with our support.

There are healthier ways to manage panic and anxiety without using toxic drugs, some of those methods can be found in our symptoms and self care section:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

While you are slowly tapering, you can be learning how to manage uncomfortable feelings and emotions in less harmful ways.

We recommend only tapering one medication at a time, usually the most activating one first, so I agree that you should be tapering the Paxil first.  Here are some tips for safely tapering off Paxil:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/?hl=%2Btips+%2Bfor+%2Btapering+%2Boff+%2Bpaxil

How long have you been having the chest pains and zaps?  Did they start after you began tapering?  How long have you been at 32.5mg?  Was that your highest dose?

You will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

32.5 was my highest since december2013. I used to only take 10 for 10 years.

The chest pains have been off and on since last fall.....all body parts were medically examined, so its just the drug...paxil or klonopin or both. Im balancing my klonopin now cuz I wasnt taking it in a regular fadhion, I hope that helps that symptom.

Still the deal is, I dont know if my panic will stay gone without medication.

thanks,

donna

12 years on paxil, just starting to wean. Was at 32.5, now at 30 for one week.

Was on prozac ten years prior.

Also been on klonopin for 25 years or so.

I was on trazadone for a year, been off a year now. Trazadone gave me unbearable chest and stomach pains, which disapoeared once I was off. So when chest and stomach pains came back I realized the drugs were doing me in.

I was on vicodin a long time too, but off now. Donna

• Administrator

Welcome, dmarie.

All you can do is carefully reduce and take care of yourself. There are lots of non-drug treatments for panic attacks. Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of them.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

You might also want to read about psychodynamic psychotherapy for panic attacks: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wendy-jacobson/what-good-psychodynamic-t_b_461426.html

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin