Wendi: lexapro withdrawal

• Moderator Emeritus

Best of luck Wendi.  I hope things improve for you.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Me too! Thank you. I wish now I wouldn't have been in such a hurry to get off medication or at least not think i knew what i was doing! What a roller coaster ride this has been!!!!

10 mg lexapro. .25mg xanax. Only took xanax for a couple months. Took lexapro for 8 months. Went off lexapro in 1 week and currently not on anything. Ouch!!!! Last dose of lexapro was around March 1st.

• Administrator

It may be possible to reinstate a very small amount, but nothing is guaranteed.

If you take Xanax regularly, there is a high probability you will become physically dependent on it. You will have to taper off very carefully.

If Xanax diminishes your symptoms, this does NOT demonstrate they are anxiety-related. Benzodiazepines are frequently prescribed for withdrawal symptoms. 

Your doctor has misinformed you, but no doubt he wants to think you are generating your own symptoms. This is very common.

It's unlikely a neurological exam will show anything if it's withdrawal syndrome.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto, I dont have any intention of taking xanax unless I have a full blown panic attack. I havent had one since the first couple weeks of withdrawal. He said that people can get dizziness as the only symptom of anxiety. I think he thinks its just returning issues with that. I will try the fish oil and magnesium though. Anything natural that could help I'm willing to try.:)

10 mg lexapro. .25mg xanax. Only took xanax for a couple months. Took lexapro for 8 months. Went off lexapro in 1 week and currently not on anything. Ouch!!!! Last dose of lexapro was around March 1st.

• Administrator

Dizziness and palpitations are common withdrawal symptoms. Even more common is the tendency of doctors to call them anxiety.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I went to the nuerologist and he wants me to have a mri. He also said he thinks it could be migraine headaches without the headaches. He prescribed something called Pamelor. Has anyone else heard of this? Is it for headaches or is this just another pill I shouldn't be taking? I haven't filled the prescription yet because I don't know what its used for!! Any help would be much appreciated.

• Administrator

Doctors are very confused by withdrawal syndrome. They often order expensive tests that are useless.

On the other hand, you may have an odd condition in addition to withdrawal syndrome that might show up on an MRI. Most likely, it won't show anything.

Google to read about Pamelor. It is a tricyclic antidepressant. Whenever a doctor mentions a drug, be sure to Google it. Clearly, the neurologist did not want to tell you the whole truth.

Who knows, it may help your withdrawal symptoms. If you try it, be sure to try a very little bit first, perhaps 1/8 of a tablet. You could have a bad reaction to it.

Thats what i was afraid of! Another antidepressant! Im not taking it until I get results back from the mri and even then im not sure if I will take it. Seriously how can another antidepressant help with dizziness that wasnt there before I started this road to hell!!!! Good grief! I get so angry about this! You know if I would have just tsken a 2 week vacation from my job to relax I wouldn't even be in this mess. Thats probably all I needed but no, I go to a gp and get put on this **** and boom everything goes to hell!!! I wish they would quit making this **** and look at other ways to help people instead of throwing a pill at them! I havent worked in almost a year because of this and im still dealing with it!

• Administrator

Please consider reinstating a tiny bit of Lexapro instead, and as soon as possible.

I asked my phyciatrist when I was there about doing that and he said flat out no. He said to take a tiny bit of xanax and see what happens. I didn't do it because I'm afraid of the consequences of that! Its like I have a fear of pills now or something because I wont even take a aspirin anymore! I'd like to think that someday this will all be like a really bad nightmare that I woke up from!!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wendi, I feel for you because withdrawal from ads is a terrible thing and doctors, including

the psychiatrists who prescribe them, know absolutely NOTHING about them! Any doctor has a handbook

on his desk that has all drugs listed along with side effects. The information might be an inch of one

column, but take a look at the patent information leaflet and it contains so much more than what the doctors

have! And that leaflet leaves out the worst stuff like how horrific withdrawal really is! 

Any doctor can prescribe lexapro for you, I know and understand why you don't want to reinstate but it can

make a difference quite quickly. Just a very tiny bit of tablet or a few beads from a capsule ( I'm not sure if 

it comes in tablets or capsules) .

I had terrible withdrawal symptoms and reinstated just 5 beads from a capsule of effexor, I felt much better

within days. I have still had the windows and waves of withdrawal and am still tapering but it has been so much 

better than it was before I reinstated. It is better to reinstate right away but as time goes by you could become

sensitised to it and not able to tolerate it. That is why we all stress the urgency of reinstating if at all possible but

every one of us know that it is the very last thing you want to do! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible