SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

hopesunshine: 2 ssris at a time

hopesunshine

Hello all, 3 months back I cold turkeyed paxil ct 75mg and then felt fine.Now after 3 months I have low mood all day which gets better at night.i sleep around 12 in the night and exactly wake up at 6:30 in the morning with very low irritable mood which persists atleast till mid afternoon.i have low energy level during most of the day.what should I do ?should I persist?or should I go back on paroxetine and taper it slowly?

<p>Sertlaline-50mg,100 mg 2 years,clonezepam -0.5mg 1year (2009-2011)Fluoxetine -200mg,paroxetine -75mg ,1 year(2011-2012)Paroxetine cr-50-75mg,1 year(2013)

• Administrator

Welcome, hopesunshine.

Cold turkey can lead to all sorts of problems. It puts tremendous stress on the nervous system, which can make it vulnerable for a long time.

How long have you had your present symptom pattern?

Right now, they're not too bad, as post-discontinuation symptoms go. But if there's a pattern of worsening, you might consider going back on a very small amount of paroxetine, such as 1mg, stabilize, and taper from there.

Otherwise, you'll have to cope with symptoms. Many people do well with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the reply,i have one improvement that my apetitie is back to normal,anxiety has reduced a bit,but low mood and energy levels seems to persist.i have these symptoms for past 3 weeks.about how long should I wait before making the decision for reinstatement?

<p>Sertlaline-50mg,100 mg 2 years,clonezepam -0.5mg 1year (2009-2011)Fluoxetine -200mg,paroxetine -75mg ,1 year(2011-2012)Paroxetine cr-50-75mg,1 year(2013)

• Moderator Emeritus

Its best to reinstate as soon as withdrawal symptoms appear, but everyone is different regarding how long a window of opportunity for reinstatement they have.  So no one can accurately answer your question.  Have a look through our information about reinstatement, it may help you to decide:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sunshine, I agree with Petu and Alto, the earlier the AD is reinstated the more likely it

will be successful.  You may only need a very tiny amount to help the symptoms and can 

taper slowly from there.  Withdrawal can get worse after a few months off when reinstatement

is no longer an option! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

hopesunshine, you were taking a very, very high dose of Paxil.

What you might want to do is try a small amount, starting with 1mg, and see if it helps your symptoms.

Paxil comes in a liquid so you can take tiny amounts, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you all for the kind replies,I live in a remote part of India where getting the drug in itself is a challenge let alone the liquid stuff.I am sure,the liquid version is not available in india. However I would like to put update on my symptoms .these 2 days I have been feeling better except for some low mood in morning.after the symptoms started 3 weeks back I have only improved ,like my appetite is normal now,sleep seems to be improving.though I can't say that I am 100% normal but surely there seems to be good improvement.anyways I take all your suggestions seriously and will reinstate the drug in small quantity ,the lowest I can go is 2.5 mg or 5mg by cutting my pills.thank you all for your kind replies

Can someone explain ,why I didn't get withdrawal symptoms early inspite of me being on very high dose ?even now I don't have any physical symptoms?why is that?

• Moderator Emeritus

hello sunshine,

I don't know the scientific explanation (I'm afraid nobody understand exactly how these drugs work) but can offer you my experience (and will later post my favourite explanation by one of our members).

When I stopped taking what I thought was a small amount of my AD, I also didn't have any symptoms at first. I think I didn't feel anything different for around 3 weeks and then irritability kicked in along with feeling strange. I never had any physical symptoms. As the time went by, I was feeling worse and worse until I developed scary symptoms I never had before and later learnt were called depersonalisation.

But i was still struggling and believing the more time passes, the better will it be. It wasn't until 40 days later that I experienced the worst panic attack of my life and knew I was in serious trouble. I literally dragged to this site almost insane wishing I came much earlier, like you.

I know I would've probably resist the idea of reinstating believing that I just have to tough it out and regretting those 40 days I was drug free. I read stories of many people here. We all think the same. You are an exception.

And I would say, great for you. It's been 6 months since I reinstated (I was very 'tough' so I hld out longer ;( and I still don't feel as I felt when I discountinued the evil. But every month it's better and better.

So morale of my story would be:the sooner you reinstate, the less you will suffer.

Didn't your doctor when giving you do drug say it will take a month before you feel any improvement? Mine did so even if she doesn't know a thing about withdrawal, I wonder how anyone thinking logically can say you can stop it like that...

These drugs are not like antiiotics or aspirin. They don't have immediate effect. They build themselves into our brain and change the whole environment with their presence. It's like a substance would become a part of the foundaion of a house: if you remove it, the house will at first maybe just shiver but would started getting more and more destabilised until it collapses on us completely.

Post by Rhi to follow.

You are thinking in the right way and will make it. We can make liquids of most of these drugs ourselves. Although I was initially absolutely horrified with the idea of me preparing a drug solution of my other evel xanax, i've been doing it for 5 months now like nothing can be easier ;

best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Can someone explain ,why I didn't get withdrawal symptoms early inspite of me being on very high dose ?even now I don't have any physical symptoms?why is that?

Explanation by Rhi:

A lot of people, including healthcare practitioners; in fact, I guess, most people-- are operating from entirely the wrong paradigm, or way of thinking, about these meds. They're thinking of them like aspirin--as something that has an effect when it's in your system, and then when it gets out of your system the effect goes away.

That's not what happens with medications that alter neurotransmitter function, we are learning.

What happens when you change the chemistry of the brain is, the brain adjusts its chemistry and structure to try to return to homeostasis, or biochemical and functional balance. It tries to restabilize the chemistry. 

For example: SSRI antidepressants work as "serotonin reuptake inhibitors." That is, they cause serotonin to remain in the space between neurons, rather than being taken back up into the cells to be re-used, like it would be in a normal healthy nondrugged brain.

So the brain, which wants to re-establish normal signaling and function, adapts to the higher level of serotonin between neurons (in the "synapse", the space between neurons where signals get passed along). It does this by removing serotonin receptors, so that the signal is reduced and changed to something closer to normal. It also decreases the amount of serotonin it produces overall. 

To do that, genes have to be turned on and off; new proteins have to be made; whole cascades of chemical reactions have to be changed, which means turning on and off OTHER genes; cells are destroyed, new cells are made; in other words, a complex physiologic remodeling takes place. This takes place over time. The brain does not grow and change rapidly. 

This is a vast oversimplification of the amount of adaptation that takes place in the brain when we change its normal chemistry, but that's the principle.

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay.

When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse.

SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. 

It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. 

I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long. 

With multiple drugs and a history of drug changes and cold turkeys, all of this becomes even more complicated. And if a person is started on these kinds of drugs at an early age before the brain has ever completely established normal mature functioning--well, it can't be good. (All of which is why I recommend an extremely slow taper particularly to anyone with a multiple drug history, a history of many years on meds, a history of past cold turkeys or frequent med changes, and a history of being put on drugs at a young age.)

This isn't intended to scare people, but hopefully to give you some idea of what's happening, and to help you respect and understand the process so you can work with it; ALSO, because you are likely to encounter many, many people who still believe these drugs work kind of like aspirin, or a glass of wine, and all you need to do is stop and get it out of your system. 

Now you can explain to them that no, getting it out of your system is not the issue; the issue is, you need to regrow or at least remodel your brain. This is a long, slow, very poorly understood process, and it needs to be respected. 

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Okay since everyone is suggesting reinstatement I will do it,but please help me through this process,how should I do this ,how much to take ?and at what time ?most pschychartist I seem to meet are giving me different drugs with different combinations,please guide me through this process

• Moderator Emeritus

hopesunshine, you were taking a very, very high dose of Paxil.

What you might want to do is try a small amount, starting with 1mg, and see if it helps your symptoms.

Paxil comes in a liquid so you can take tiny amounts, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

Hello.. and welcome to the forum. You have come to the best place on the net for how to on getting safely off ADs.

Alto is our resident expert from whom many of us have learned much of what we know. She suggested start with 1 mg. I would go from there and see how it feels.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 1 month later...

severe insomania and depression.havent slept properly for 3 days ,please help.very very bad days.will i improve

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi hope sunshine

What medications are you currently taking? Did you reinstate?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I have cold turkeyed all my medications, after I found myself to be diabetic due to medicines.now I don't take any,I don't want to ,I am hoping to tough it out .will it be possible?yesterday I slept for 5 hours but woke up very badly with anxiety early morning.i also suffer from severe depression.will I be ok?it has been 5 months since I stopped medications.i didn't reinstate any medications.

please look at my signature ,has anybody taken 2 ssris fluxoetine and paroxetine toghether??????i am really worried ,what it could have done to me?please help me

hello people ,i just reseached my drug histroy and i was shocked to see that i was given fluxoetine 200mg and paroxetine 75 at the same time.has it happened to anybody else.i dont know  why my psychartist did it to me. my complaint was nothing but inabillity to concentrate while studying. i have coldturkeyed all medicines and in severe protracted withdrawal for 5 months.will i recover ?? am  i an exception who have taken 2 ssris at once???

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Hopesunshine,

first of all, you will see that I have merged the above post with your initial thread since we all here have one thread (one thread per member policy). I know that you are anxious and need reasurrance and I hope we will be able to help you. Now the title of your thread is 2 ssris at a time. Would you prefer it to stay that way or wierd feelings after 3 months as it used to be before?

As we already told you back in March we not only think but had personal experiences and those of many other people which prove that coldturkying any psychotropic medication is a very bad idea. Severe insomnia and depression which urged you to come here again are some of the reasons that support that too. If you go back to the beginning of your thread, you will find the explanation of the rationale behind it.

The only way we know of of stopping these horrible withdrawal symptoms which actually get progressively worse and if they start, end up in something we call protracted withdrawal is to reinstate a small amount of your medication. (now I just googled Paxil and saw that even wikipedia mentions what they call disontinuation syndrome). This is called a harm reduction approach because these drugs cause worse harm when they are abruptly taken away from the system of which they became an integral part than when they stay inside.

Here is more information on this topic.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

You were advised to reinstate back in March. We will have to wait for someone with more experience to get an opinion on whether your reinstatement window has closed. But if I were you, I would still reinstate 1 mg of Paxil as you were advised and see what happens. It is possible to make your own liquid and if you decide to do so, we will provide the link to our Tapering section and help you along the way.

We will help you regardless of what you decide. But we can only give you our advice. It's up to you to decide (and deal with the consequences of your decisions...)

Regarding your second question about 2 ssris, I don't have an example now off the top of my head  but people do recover from all sorts of troubles because our brains are so incredibly resilient. It's just that it takes longer and it's more painful if we don't do it in the right way.

(Maybe your signature is a bit unclear because I read it as if you were on fluoxetine and paroxetine for 1 year ( 2011- 2012) and then Paroxitene 1 year, 2013. It doesn't come out from that that you were on both of these at the same time so you may wish to correct that in your signature).

I believe other people will give you more advice soon. 

If I understand you correctly, you firmly refuse to reinstate and  you CT-ed all your medication 5 months ago (and now it might even be too late), there is a lot of useful advice on how to deal with symptoms in Symptoms and self-care sections. But this is a lot longer and way more painful way than reinstating. 

keep us posted.

best,

bubble

• Administrator

hopesunshine, please read this link. It will tell you how to make a liquid from Paxil tablets.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

hello people ,i just reseached my drug histroy and i was shocked to see that i was given fluxoetine 200mg and paroxetine 75 at the same time.has it happened to anybody else.i dont know  why my psychartist did it to me. my complaint was nothing but inabillity to concentrate while studying. i have coldturkeyed all medicines and in severe protracted withdrawal for 5 months.will i recover ?? am  i an exception who have taken 2 ssris at once???

Those are extraordinarily high amounts of both drugs. Are you sure the amounts are accurate?

The combination of drugs at those high dosages can be very dangerous. If a doctor prescribed them to you, he or she should be reported.

However, it sounds like you are doing well enough, even with cold turkey, so it's likely no lasting damage was done. Many people take unholy drug cocktails and recover. It may take your nervous system a long time to settle down, though.

You still may wish to reinstate a very small amount of Paxil to cushion the shock from cold turkey.

Yes altostrata I am sure the amounts are accurate.is it possible that I can reinstate after 5 months ??

• Moderator Emeritus

you can sure give it a try. You have nothing to lose, only gain.  It's a small dose so you will be in control. If things don't work, you will simply stop taking it but there is a chance that it will.

I would absolutely go for it.

you will keep us posted and we will be with you every step of the way :) From Australia, Europe, the USA... - you'll be covered day and night.

big hug,

bubble

I wish to add one more thing ,these drugs have given me diabetes

I am only 26 and already type 2 diabetic ,very sad to hear such diagnosis and appalled at what this drug has done to me

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear hopesunshine,

I saw about the diabetes and am very sorry. I understand that that was your main motivation to stop taking them at once.  I've read that these drugs in general cause many metabolic problems.

Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt diabetes will go way now if you completely stay off this medication. There will be different methods to cope with it. I'm just concerned about the damage they are doing to you even through their absence in the form of withdrawal. 

My knowledge in this area is very limited but I didn't want to leave you hanging before someone more knowledgeable offers their opinion. I'm also glad that you expressed your main concern over reinstating that should definitely be taken into account.

• Administrator

If the drugs disrupted your sugar metabolism, it is possible it will correct itself.

If you have diabetes from being overweight, you may need further treatment for it.

If i reinstate ,how long should I wait to see benefits before making any adjustments

• Moderator Emeritus

I felt a relief almost instantly. I was in a dreadful state for months after reinstating. But almost a few hours after putting that pill into my mouth I felt like the cart stopped lurching down the hill (and remained there hanging  off a thread).

I was thinking about you and the tough decision you have to make - diabetes possibly caused by the drug you should commence taking to enable you to function :(

I also have health issues which are probably, if not exactly caused, then definitely "facilitated" by the medication I have to take to be able to function and will have to spend years to come off safely. My weight is increasing, my appetite has been totally unmanageable since I started with Lexapro, I have serious back problems, etc. But if I'm in the awful withdrawal I simply can't do anything to improve my health situation. When I'm so depressed that I can hardly move or can hardly motivate myself to manage my personal hygiene, I definitely can't do exercises I should for the sake of my spine. So it's a kind of catch 22 situation. After the Lexapro experience, as the time was passing I was unfortunately less and less in the position to think about other health aspects. It felt like that was a luxury while I was saving my sanity.  

It's a tough call and I'm sorry I can't help you more except sharing my experience.