SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Is it always going to be like this?

Nickie

Thank you ang for your kind words.

Yes, at 29 months off, I have seen important improvement.

It's not hell anymore, it's difficult.

Hugs all the way to Australia and wishing you a healing happy new year :)

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Alex, you've come so far. It's so much better now than it was. If you've healed to the extent you have now, you can heal all the way. I bet you never thought you'd be as good as you are now.

You are a true inspiration. Waves are brutal but you will get there.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

I am doing a lot better , A LOT....since coming off Effexor, plus i experimented with 3 other SSRI's and am nearing the end of a Paxil taper also...so i created a lot of chaos for my poor brain and today I am so much better. I have anhedonia most of the time, and waves of fairly mild symptoms here and there...but nothing compared to where I was. My sleep is fine and I go about the tasks of daily living with almost no anxiety anymore. The anxiety was hideous for the first year or two. It gets better. See my signature for details, but yes it gets better!

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16

Thank you my dear friends; yes, the truth is that after 29 long months, I am doing A LOT BETTER.

You are all my heros. :)

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

I need some reassurance and hope.

Do people heal from this evil drug???

Funny you should ask: I have just started to post the stories from the currently closed group Paxilprogress.org and the very first one is an Effexor recovery success.

Enjoy!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Alex, is it 29 months since effexor, or 29 months since medication of anything?  quetiepine and xanax, tapered in the last 18 months....?    Sorry I am not clear on your signature.   I just need some hope, been off effexor about 24 months, still suffering from that one, I am sure.  I need some hope.  

Thinking of upping my zoloft, any ideas?  Today is the worst, ever, cant do anything.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Ang,

Please correspond with Alex in his thread and ask questions about your own situation in your thread. You are veering off topic.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Alex don't know if you have read the story by Bruce Stutz a New York editor who wrote about getting off effexor.

Heres a link which contains the link to that story The article it is in is well worth reading too.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/side-effects/201107/antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Please correspond with Alex in his thread, he is more likely to see your comments there rather than here. You could preface it with "Your post in Recovery stories got me thinking...."

What's interesting to me is the extent to which these drugs and the withdrawal affect not just how our bodies feel but also the thoughts we think, the thoughts we are able to think, the thoughts we are sometimes unable to think. The whole idea that our minds are somehow separate from our bodies and we control our thoughts--I am realizing that may be much more of a delusion, illusion, than we realize. It's strange and unnerving to contemplate, because if I'm not in control of my own thoughts, then what am I in control of? Nothing, really. Scary.

Thank you for writing this Rhi, I think its so important that people understand the difference between cognitive or thought based anxiety symptoms and the physiological changes in our nervous system which cause the sensations of arousal and fight/flight, which in turn effect our ability to think rationally.  CBT type therapies are based on the assumption that  all anxiety is thought/behavior based and if we can change our thoughts and behavior, then we can eliminate the sensations (anxiety/depression).

......" if we are not in control of our thoughts, we have control over nothing".  But there is something we always have control over.  In each moment we have the ability to let go of our illusions of control and accept reality as it is.  When I manage to do this, it seems to bring instant relief and frees up some energy.... which has to be a good thing.

I'm still struggling to get my head around this differentiation, Petu. So the constant anxiety and sometimes intense fears (that this will go on forever, I will stop functioning, lose my job, etc.) that I'm feeling now in w/d are not thought-based but they are a result of physiological changes? 

I'm still trying to educate myself understand *everything* about mental health disorders at this point, which gets overwhelming sometimes when I feel so anxiously sick (for instance, I didn't know the chemical imbalance theory was no longer good science). But in normal, non-w/d anxiety, is that a result of cognitive, thought-based processes? That's what I assumed, but I'm getting confused trying to sort all this out. 

So much to learn.... 

Started Zoloft 07/06, continued through 07/08 (2-month taper, going downhill 6 weeks after stopping [w/d?]) 

Lexapro started 12/08, Lexapro increased/Buspar and Topamax added in '09, continued through 08/10 (3-month taper, disastrous results after 3 week [w/d?]) 

200 mg Zoloft started around 9/10; been between 150 and 200 mg Zoloft since then, also on Topamax and Deplin, and tried things for sleep like Trazadone (worked for a while), and Ambien, Lunesta, and Mirtazapine (all failed) 

--Started tapering 200mg Zoloft--

6-26-14 (150 mg); 7-14-14 (100 mg); 8-20-14 (50 mg); 10-25-14 (25 mg); 11-18-14 (12.5 mg); 12-2-14 stopped Zoloft 

anxiety started 3 days off, depression 12 days off; both severely intensified at 5 weeks off with a work-related trigger and got progressively worse for 10 days 

Reinstated Zoloft 12.5mg on 1-15-15 (one day at 25mg) after 6 weeks and 2 days off 

Also taking 100mg Topamax and 15mg Deplin 

• Moderator Emeritus
 (for instance, I didn't know the chemical imbalance theory was no longer good science). But in normal, non-w/d anxiety, is that a result of cognitive, thought-based processes? That's what I assumed, but I'm getting confused trying to sort all this out. 

So much to learn.... 

The chemical imbalance idea was never science, it was only ever a theory.  Its quite shocking really, most people believe this to be the truth when there is not one piece of scientific evidence behind it.

I would think that in of lot of cases, non-w/d anxiety would result from faulty or unhelpful thought processes or false beliefs.  But in other situations it could come from very real life difficulties and circumstances.  Past trauma and unresolved childhood issues can play a part in causing anxiety too.  There are many reasons why a normal person, with a perfectly healthy brain, might feel increased levels of anxiety.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Please note that Laura offers her support services for a fee.

That greatly angered me.   I am not against people making money but for various reasons I don't want to get into, this situation was very upsetting.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 2 months later...

I want to know if you think recovery is possible. Or did these drugs permanently damage me beyond repair. I am very desperate that I will never recover and have my old self back. I'm 2 months off and I'm not even completely off yet as I had to reinstate 5 mg Cipralex. I feel so lost and hopeless. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

You will be fine, you were not on very long just continue slow taper and hang on. You CAN do this. It is awful but you will get through in time. The body is built to repair itself.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

I'm reading that people are not ok and still have symptoms years off this medication and I won't last that long. How can these drugs have such devastating effects on the body that it can't repair itself for years? Illegal drugs don't do that. I wish I was taking heroin instead of ssris... 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.

I want to know if you think recovery is possible.

Yes.

Yes I need one too... 6 months off 75mg 4 month taper

40 year old male - First panic attack in May 2012

May 2012 Atenolol (beta blocker)25mg, Ativan 2mg
August 2012 Rapid taper ativan, started zoloft 25mg
Dec 2012... rapid taper zoloft,
January 2013 Xanax 1mg for 1 month
February 2013 Klonopin 1mg
April 2013 to May 2013 Rapid Taper Klonopin to 0.5mg
June 10th 2013 jumped from 0.5 Kpin and Atenolol 25mg
July 2013 two days of Ativan 1mg b/c of hospital visit
September 2013 started Effexor 75mg (this was a mistake i think)
July 2014 to October 2014 tapered off Effexor...

July 2015 - Reinstated zoloft 50mg

• Administrator

Everyone should keep in mind that probably at least half of those who go off psychiatric drugs have no significant problems.

Also see Success stories: Recovery from withdrawal

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...

Today is a day that feels like it is always going to be this way. Recovery and healing can be so challenging when you are sleep deprived, exhausted, and struggling to find hope. I guess today's challenge is to reduce my life down to each present moment and look for a kernel of truth concerning feeling better and getting better.

Thanks for listening.

20+ years of Zoloft 50-100 mg CT 03/2014 for 5 months
Back on Prozac 20 mg for 4 months CT since 11/2014
Found this forum the last day of 2014
The secret is to keep going!  Time will heal.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

*Moderator note. 

This topic was split from the 'Alpha-Stim, Fisher Wallace Sota Biotuner, PoNS, and similar devices' thread because discussion had drifted to a different but important subject.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

>Maybe it's helping a little after all, even though I initially thought it's not helping? It's hard to say. I still think it's worth trying, especially if you're desperate for relief.

I wonder why it can be so difficult to believe that it's time that's the healer.  Why the need is so strong to believe in external gizmos (or pills) to heal when we are the ones with the power.

Edited by Petunia
added note

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Blue, I'm glad you're sensing some relief, whatever causes and conditions have brought that.

Though these devices have not been something I'm yet interested in pursuing, I do follow with interest, as some folks do seem to find healing through their use.

I believe there are as many paths to healing as there are people. We are each as individuals, dealing with unique histories, bodies, lifestyle choices, intentions, goals, and interests. Therefore, no 2 paths will look the same...even if there are some similarities, there are also many differences.

A lot of people would look questionably on my choices of the things listed in my signature, given their lack of "scientific evidence". But these things, along with Reiki, acupuncture, homeopathy, and chiropractic have definitely been the most significant healing for me. Most of the emphasis for me has been on awakening and trusting the healing within me, and less reliance on outside sources. But I seriously doubt the paths I've taken would work for a lot of people, for a variety of reasons.

I'm of the mind to follow what works, and if these devices work for some people, why not? We all have to believe in something, and as CW said, why not the machine..even if only temporarily. Hope can be a powerful force and something I think, is worth harnessing. In the end, I find healing to be a mysterious process and one that is deeply humbling. I can't possibly know what is right for anyone else; I'm still learning to listen to what is right for me.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Very true and thoughtful words free, I completely agree. 

This is just my opinion as a big experimenter, the problem with waiting for time to work is that for people with friends, jobs, families, and maybe especially for people without those things, you've lost that time from your life to be active outside of just resting and trying to survive.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Trying things for me too, has been an essential part of my healing. While on Remeron, I gave up on myself and on healing. I needed to reclaim that for myself. I don't feel I have the time to just sit on the couch and wait for healing to happen. If you try things and they don't work, that's a piece of information too. That being said, I have been careful in what I've tried..and save for a few supplements that produced problems, most other things I've attempted have been beneficial to some degree or another. I'm still learning a sense of balance that's about meeting what's happening and sometimes intervening, but without fixing. Chasing down one elusive cure has been my undoing, long before AD and withdrawal...so it's something I have to be aware of within myself.

I like what Irishwill posted in his success story, “It’s not about how you feel, it’s about still doing what you want to do despite not feeling well that will make the difference, accomplishments still feel great even when you don’t”

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• Moderator Emeritus

I do agree with Skyler that time is the best healer.  There is likely nothing much we can do to speed time along, short of getting in a Tardis.

However, the time we spend learning about new supplements, or diets, or technologies or "gizmos" can be a healthful distraction - more healthful than ruminating on "that thing I said to her" or "why did I have to do that?" and other ruminations on how miserable or painful this all is.  

I agree that it's not about investing all your hope in "the new gadget."  It's about utilizing the gadget as a tool, to help manage symptoms - even if it is only a distraction from them.

So - that said, I bought the ebay SOTA BioTuner.  It is a model 7, from 2013, and will be waiting for me at Mom's when I get there.  I will also have the opportunity to trial it on my doctor-friend, if she is willing, to see what she thinks of being purred to.

I wish my cat purred more.  If I had a larger fleet of cats, my time-to-purr ratio would be higher, that could replace the Bio-Tuner.  It will likely be more than 5 years before I can get a fresh fleet of cats, though.  So I got the thing, patient hubby is hugely skeptical, even though he watched a short 15 minute video on the gizmo.

I'm doing my micro-TENS on the deltoids now, waiting to get sleepy, I have an early morning appointment tomorrow, and want to sleep early and well.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I do agree with Skyler that time is the best healer.  There is likely nothing much we can do to speed time along, short of getting in a Tardis.

However, the time we spend learning about new supplements, or diets, or technologies or "gizmos" can be a healthful distraction - more healthful than ruminating on "that thing I said to her" or "why did I have to do that?" and other ruminations on how miserable or painful this all is.  

I agree that it's not about investing all your hope in "the new gadget."  It's about utilizing the gadget as a tool, to help manage symptoms - even if it is only a distraction from them.

So - that said, I bought the ebay SOTA BioTuner.  It is a model 7, from 2013, and will be waiting for me at Mom's when I get there.  I will also have the opportunity to trial it on my doctor-friend, if she is willing, to see what she thinks of being purred to.

I wish my cat purred more.  If I had a larger fleet of cats, my time-to-purr ratio would be higher, that could replace the Bio-Tuner.  It will likely be more than 5 years before I can get a fresh fleet of cats, though.  So I got the thing, patient hubby is hugely skeptical, even though he watched a short 15 minute video on the gizmo.

I'm doing my micro-TENS on the deltoids now, waiting to get sleepy, I have an early morning appointment tomorrow, and want to sleep early and well.

What about the possibility that things we do, such as these devices, or yoga, meditation, etc. actually evoke the natural healing capacity of the body? For me, what I'm doing is far more than a distraction.....I feel I'm opening the door, inviting, and welcoming what Stan Grof refers to as "the inner healer". If people can heal from incurable cancer, what's to say I can't heal my nervous system?

I can't say I have proof or evidence that what I've done has increased the speed of healing. But overall, in spite of a faster than recommended taper and jumping off at a somewhat high amount, I seem to be doing reasonably well. I haven't suffered the same degree of insomnia of most people on here, especially those trying to come off mirt. And I had a totally screwed up nervous system before hand, was grieving, and had multiple chronic health issues. So perhaps, there is something to be said for practices that can promote self-healing.

"I wish my cat purred more.  If I had a larger fleet of cats, my time-to-purr ratio would be higher, that could replace the Bio-Tuner.  It will likely be more than 5 years before I can get a fresh fleet of cats, though." LOL....except, this might actually be true.

Maybe this is why I don't feel the need for one of these devices. My little female cat loves to cuddle under the covers and can hold a quiet, soft purr for the whole time. And my male cat, has a wonderful rumble purr. He even purrs when I'm talking to his sister. In the first few months after my wife died, Grace came and laid over my heart every single morning (okay, she weighed less then--still a kitten) and purred. She'd stay until I felt the need to get up.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

• Moderator Emeritus

When I had severe unremitting chronic pain, no manner of electrical device helped (the Tens evidently has a fair track record).  In fact they made me cynical because I repeatedly got my hopes up, only to be disappointed.. and because of the skepticism, I did not take other measures that would have been helpful.  I don't think we should expose ourselves to treatments offered by people who are in all likelihood charlatans.  They may hold out hope, but there is harm when hope is squashed.  

Ours is the power, and we benefit from treatments that enhance our potential... 

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

On a related note, I just purchased a breathing exerciser for $20.00 because there have been anecdotal reports of it improving sleep apnea.   To be honest, I don't have much hope but what the heck?   I am pretty desperate.   If it had cost more money, I probably would have passed.

My heart goes out to everyone struggling so much.  I understand the searching for the magical solution routine.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

When I had severe unremitting chronic pain, no manner of electrical device helped (the Tens evidently has a fair track record).  In fact they made me cynical because I repeatedly got my hopes up, only to be disappointed.. and because of the skepticism, I did not take other measures that would have been helpful.  I don't think we should expose ourselves to treatments offered by people who are in all likelihood charlatans.  They may hold out hope, but there is harm when hope is squashed.  

I'm sorry that TENS or things like that didn't help you. I didn't have good experience with it for pain after an MVA either..in fact, it made the pain worse. However, I don't think that means they are no good...it was not the right medicine for me at the time.

I understand really well about the level of disappointment when something is promised, but does not deliver. I could say the same thing about therapy, which only made things worse for me..as well as a number of other things I tried faithfully over the years. What I think is wrong is that practitioners promise what can't likely be true for every person. Things work for some people, but not others. But giving up is also a personal choice. I chose to keep on trying, though sometimes that seemed to make me feel worse too.

But sitting down and just waiting for things to get better was a highly unsuccessful strategy too, and believe me, I tried it well during my time on mirt. I managed to get more and more depressed, and I can't blame all of that on the drug. I felt like a victim of life, rather than a participant..and that made me even more depressed.

The thing is, what one of us thinks as a charlatan, might be a healer for another. We can't anyone of us know, what practitioner, devices, spiritual practice, or whatever, might be the road to healing for another. My wife and I both did a form of neurofeedback. For her, the results were remarkable. For me, it sent me into a huge tailspin. I had a client who had the most severe child abuse of anyone I'd worked with. She'd suffered from terrifying nightmares multiple times a night for years. She saw a naturopath and started taking a supplement. The nightmares stopped after about a week. She left an abusive relationship, got a much better job, joined a spiritual group, started taking great care of her health, and for the first time in her life, started to believe she had a better future. Would that supplement "cure" everyone? No, but it was an important part of finding her medicine and helped her in finding her way.

This might get me a warning on here, but I'm going to say it anyway. I think, telling people not to try things, to just sit and wait..and only take 2 supplements that supposedly work (both of them made me quite ill)...is a lot like western medicine telling people to take a med and learn to live with all the stuff that goes with it, and there's really nothing else that can help depression. It promotes a victim mentality, and not one that I think will serve people over the long term. I recognize there are places where one needs to go slowly, or hold where they are...but I believe those are different for each and every person. Not each of us has the same nervous system, strengths, intentions, supports, etc.

Things I've tried over the years have given me my own research, about what potentially can help and what might not be so helpful. But through WD, and a number of other experiences in recent years, I've had to open my mind and heart to a lot of new things...and many of them have proved to be amazing medicine for me. But for me, I'm not trying to cure WD, I'm doing my best to lead a life that is healthy and authentic for me...and trying to let go of whatever doesn't serve me. That intention takes me away from "fixing", and into a whole different realm of healing and living.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Freespirit... you have had quite a journey.

I was referring to solely to gadgetry that can be construed as dubious or questionable ..  Although neurofeedback did not work for me, it seems to have a decent track record of helping people, along with a fair amount of well regarded medical research to back it up. 

I only speak for myself... and use the definition of charlatan as found in Webster.  It is up to each of us to beware.  Thanks for your concern

Definition of charlatan

:  quack 
:  one making usually showy pretenses to knowledge or ability :  fraud, faker

PS.. I was not able to locate the post, but somewhere on the site I thought Alto mentioned the only 'research' available on the effectiveness of the Alpha-Stim for withdrawal symptoms is made by the marketers themselves... they have two sites setup, which refer back to each other.. without mentioning they are connected with each other, despite the obvious conflict of interest.  Please check me out on this, I'd like to find the quote.  If I am incorrect, please let me know, disagreement based on factual data is most welcome!

I was VERY seriously burned by trying one device, or snake oil treatment after another when I was ill... this still dogs me today.. many years later.

• Moderator Emeritus

This might get me a warning on here, but I'm going to say it anyway. I think, telling people not to try things, to just sit and wait..and only take 2 supplements that supposedly work (both of them made me quite ill)...is a lot like western medicine telling people to take a med and learn to live with all the stuff that goes with it, and there's really nothing else that can help depression. It promotes a victim mentality, and not one that I think will serve people over the long term. I recognize there are places where one needs to go slowly, or hold where they are...but I believe those are different for each and every person. Not each of us has the same nervous system, strengths, intentions, supports, etc.

Things I've tried over the years have given me my own research, about what potentially can help and what might not be so helpful. But through WD, and a number of other experiences in recent years, I've had to open my mind and heart to a lot of new things...and many of them have proved to be amazing medicine for me. But for me, I'm not trying to cure WD, I'm doing my best to lead a life that is healthy and authentic for me...and trying to let go of whatever doesn't serve me. That intention takes me away from "fixing", and into a whole different realm of healing and living.

Freespirit,

I agree with you. As you know I advocate that people search for their 100 little things that support healing for them. However, I would say that posters here are often looking for the quick fix, the one thing that will bring them relief. The find your own path strategy takes discipline, courage, thoughtfulness, patience and the willingness to be responsible for your own health. If people don't have that and are throwing many different things at a destabilised nervous system, the results are disastrous.

We do encourage conservative trials of things, that's why we have a symptoms forum. I really like the contribution you are making to this in terms of supporting a focus on healing and living rather than fixing.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

This is one of those topics in which people are going to radically disagree. I am not surprised that some people recommend these devices while others think they're a scammy waste of money.

Please stop the personal sniping.

For the record, I have never tried any of these gadgets. I wouldn't mind a cat purring on me, though.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Freespirit,

I agree with you. As you know I advocate that people search for their 100 little things that support healing for them. However, I would say that posters here are often looking for the quick fix, the one thing that will bring them relief. The find your own path strategy takes discipline, courage, thoughtfulness, patience and the willingness to be responsible for your own health. If people don't have that and are throwing many different things at a destabilised nervous system, the results are disastrous.

We do encourage conservative trials of things, that's why we have a symptoms forum. I really like the contribution you are making to this in terms of supporting a focus on healing and living rather than fixing.

Dalsaan

I understand Dalsaan, about people looking for the magic wand and ending up hurting themselves. I did my own flailing around by trying recommended supplements during tapering and after jumping off. The results weren't disastrous, but they weren't  helpful either...except they directed me away from trying that route for a time. I was however, already doing my version of 100 things. Same thing with trying a new practitioner early on.

The thing is though, we all need to begin with 1 thing or a couple of things first. These devices, like anything we might try, are possibly not the only thing that's needed. But if it's something that helps a person rest a little, lifts a mood, or helps someone by feeling they are doing something...it can be a step on the road towards the 100 things.

If someone had told me (including myself) a couple of years ago that doing 7 minutes of qi gong a day would send me on the road I'm on now, I would never have believed it. I know my doctor didn't. He found everything I was doing to be totally bogus and let me know there was no way I'd ever get off the 7 meds I was on. But here I am, almost 50 pounds lighter, fitter than I've been in decades and free of what I called depression in the past, and minus those 7 drugs. I am healing, through the many things that have almost no research by any scientific journal. But to me, no research by those journals means no research...it does not mean these things don't work.

For those of us who are trying 5 or 100 things, I find it demeaning to have mods keep saying that the one and only thing that heals is time. That everything from essential oils to acupuncture to meditation practices do not help, are unproven, or are simply distraction while "time" heals is a very limited view of what healing entails. Is acupuncture or qi gong healing my receptors? I don't really know, nor do I concern myself with it. But is my gut 1000% better than when I jumped off, am I getting daily better at handling difficulties and not succumbing to negative thoughts, do I spend more happy and joyful moments, do I sleep better than I have for most of my life, do I no longer see myself as a victim? Yes on all those counts..which to me is the ultimate form of healing.

We can't possibly know for another person what might or might not bring healing. It's pretty obvious from what has been tried on the board that what helps one person, makes another very ill. We are all different, with different needs, at different times.

Perhaps you don't recognize, but the mods carry a certain power or expectation of expertise. Some people will think, well the mods know what's right, and not try something that could be beneficial. I'm not advocating that people do a million disruptive things to their nervous systems either.

But just to give an example. I heard over and over on here that it's not good to exercise strenuously, so I didn't. Then I found out by doing it in small amounts, under the right conditions and listening to my body...well, that was true sometimes, but not all the time. As a result, I have been able to very gradually increase time, intensity and distance in my exercise. That ability to exercise more and at a higher level has made a huge difference to my mood and outlook on my future, never mind what it's done for my body.

I realize this discussion probably belongs on the what is healing thread...but since the comments have been what they have on this thread, I'm putting them here. I try to think what it's like for people on this thread who have reported improvement through the devices, or who are just trying them out. I don't see myself doing it, but I'm interested in healing through many forms...and why not this form too?

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

• Moderator Emeritus

Freespirit,

Dalsaan

We can't possibly know for another person what might or might not bring healing. It's pretty obvious from what has been tried on the board that what helps one person, makes another very ill. We are all different, with different needs, at different times.

Perhaps you don't recognize, but the mods carry a certain power or expectation of expertise. Some people will think, well the mods know what's right, and not try something that could be beneficial. I'm not advocating that people do a million disruptive things to their nervous systems either.

But just to give an example. I heard over and over on here that it's not good to exercise strenuously, so I didn't. Then I found out by doing it in small amounts, under the right conditions and listening to my body...well, that was true sometimes, but not all the time. As a result, I have been able to very gradually increase time, intensity and distance in my exercise. That ability to exercise more and at a higher level has made a huge difference to my mood and outlook on my future, never mind what it's done for my body.

I realize this discussion probably belongs on the what is healing thread...but since the comments have been what they have on this thread, I'm putting them here. I try to think what it's like for people on this thread who have reported improvement through the devices, or who are just trying them out. I don't see myself doing it, but I'm interested in healing through many forms...and why not this form too?

As a mod I am acutely aware of the power and expectations and you are right we can't possibly know what is right for each persons healing journey at that time - so we have two options - we provide no input at all or we go conservative with the start slow listen to your body line which is the mainstay of advice on this site.

When.i look through this thread on exercise - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/931-exercise-what-kind-and-when-is-it-too-much/page-4 the messages I see from mods are 1) exercise is beneficial, 2) start slow and listen to your body 3) if that goes ok you can work up to more strenuous exercise, 4) if you find it exacerbates withdraw a it is likely a cortisol reaction. Given that people can't know in advance the impact that exercise will have on them I think this is a very appropriate engagement and one that is very cognisant of power, expectations and responsibilities.

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

It is mostly time that's the healer, but we can move healing along by taking care of ourselves. It's certainly better than the opposite -- getting in the way of our own healing, which is what most people do all the time. (I know I do.)

As dalsaan said, too many people come here with the mindset they will find the golden key to their condition, and with that one talisman, set everything right. This is the mindset that leads many of us to psychiatric drugs in the first place. It's also the mindset that leads people to read a topic on, for example, vitamin D, a generally beneficial vitamin, and decide to take a huge amount, making themselves sick, rather than test very small doses to begin with.

Or, if we suggest reinstatement of perhaps 2mg of a drug, they'll take 20mg -- because more is better, right? and they think it might be the golden key.

We see this over and over, despite patiently telling people over and over to be careful, to be mindful, to be patient, and not to expect to get fixed immediately.

Let's look at your example. We warned that strenuous exercise may make symptoms worse. So you didn't dive into it -- as so many people here have -- and, when you were ready, you ramped up at your own pace. I count that as a success in taking care of yourself which, you may note, is a refrain the mods sing over and over.

We encourage people to seek any number of ways to subtly assist healing, and to do it in a way that they're not likely to hurt themselves. freespirit, I take exception to your characterization of all this caring, hard work as "demeaning."

Now, think carefully -- if you had the responsibility that a mod does, what would you be telling people about various remedies?

• Moderator Emeritus
For those of us who are trying 5 or 100 things, I find it demeaning to have mods keep saying that the one and only thing that heals is time. That everything from essential oils to acupuncture to meditation practices do not help, are unproven, or are simply distraction while "time" heals is a very limited view of what healing entails.

I'm sorry if you have felt demeaned by any comments I've made about time being the healer of withdrawal. Actually, I agree with you that the healing process is complex and there is much more to it than we understand.

The way I see it is that any non-drug treatment or activity which makes us feel better, even temporarily, for whatever reason, as long as there isn't an adverse reaction is helping the recovery process. When we are 'feeling' better, more relaxed and hopeful, the body is better able to do its repair work. Anything which decreases anxiety and turns off the fight/flight response is going to be helpful.

Unfortunately, I've yet to see any evidence of any one treatment or activity which accelerates the recovery of everyone who tries it. For every person who tries something, there are other people who find it makes them worse. So, as a mod, I have to be careful what I recommend and support because I don't want to lead anyone into doing something which is going to make them worse.

My own experience has been that my symptoms have been made worse by activities which others have found helpful, so I've had to be careful. With time, my nervous system has been calming down and I've been able to do some of the activities which previously made symptoms worse.

From what I've seen during my time as a member here, and I've done a lot of reading, is that the passing of time is the only common factor which I've noticed as people recover.

So my conclusion is that everything that helps, helps, but even if nothing helps, with time, we will recover anyway, unless there are other harmful factors which are preventing recovery.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy