arcticmonkey introduction

arcticmonkey

I am new to this forum.I am currently taking 10 mg paroxetine.I first started taking 20mg paroxetine a year ago.Took it for four months then tapered in less than 2 months(expirienced moderate withdrawal symptoms)Then a month after I stopped taking paroxetine I started expiriencing visual symptoms(visual snow,afterimages).The visual symptoms persisted for about 4 months and then is started taking 20 mg paroxetine again and the visual symptoms decreased in intensity.The second time I took it for about 4 months and then started tapering it again.I tapered down to 10 mg in a month with very minor symptoms.Then I probably tapered too fast down to 5 mg and started expiriencing withdrawal symptoms and the visual symptoms got worse.And now I am currently taking 10 mg paroxetine.

Do you think that visual snow and afterimages are withdrawal symptoms(i've read in some studies about visual disturbances caused by ssri's but don't know what they meant by visual disturbances)?

Also do you have any advice on what to do about these visual symptoms ?

• Administrator

Welcome, arcticmonkey.

Yes, the visual symptoms could be withdrawal symptoms.

Since you've been on and off and up and down with paroxetine -- a very difficult drug to go off of -- your nervous system may have become sensitized. It is generating odd visual symptoms.

Your nervous system needs to settle down. You might stabilize on 10mg paroxetine for several months to give it a rest, then taper very carefully off.

Please read these topics:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have visual symptoms too (visual snow, afterimages, trails, odd swirly things), but they started when I was not tapering or starting any new drugs. They seem to be worse when I forget a dose (which I am notoriously bad about), but that's not the only time I have bad nights. They don't bother me very much, but if they are bothering you I hope you can figure out something that helps!

Current: Lexapro 10 mg, Lamictal 100 mg

Down from lexapro 20 mg, lamictal 20 mg, wellbutrin 150mg, geodon 60 mg bid in 2012. Off Geodon in 2015. Lexapro tapered from 20mg during 2015-2018. Wellbutrin decreased to 100mg summer 2018. Unfortunately due to pharmacy mixup accidental CT Wellbutrin fall 2018.

Altostrata,

Thanks for the advice.I am sure that the visual symptoms are caused by withdrawal.What do you mean by "your nervous system may have become sensitized" ?

Also do you think that you can successfully measure dosage by making a liquid solution ?

Here are a few links about visual symptoms caused by SSRI's:

https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info4.shtml

http://www.migraine-aura.com/content/e27891/e27265/e42285/e42442/e42449/index_en.html

http://wp.rxisk.org/keeping-an-eye-on-the-ball-visual-problems-on-ssris/

• Administrator

A liquid solution is a more precise way to measure dosage. Please read the topics.

Also see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/

Doctors think the nervous system is made of rubber. It is not.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone! I would like to get some advice about coming off the psychiatric drugs that I am taking.I was taking 20 mg seroxat for a year and then switched to 10 mg olanzepine and 20 mg diazepam.I am taking olanzepine and diazepam for 2 weeks now and have had no withdrawal symptoms from seroxat.Taking into consideration that I have taken olanzepine and

diazepam only for 2 weeks at what pace would you suggest I taper ? Thanks for responding

AM,

I moved your post from tapering into your Introduction topic because it is specific to your situation and will get more views here.

Before you even consider tapering, would you please relate how you came to switch from seroxat (which is an antidepressant) to olanzipine (an atypical antipsychotic)? And you are also taking a very high dose of diazepam with the olanzipine. Did the 'condition' which you were being treated for originally suddenly become worse?

I would just hazard a guess that the symptoms of stopping the seroxat have just not manifested yet because it is too soon, you have switched to another drug of a different class and are taking a very high dose of a benzo (which may mask symptoms). Does your doctor know that you are contemplating coming off the drugs and could you tell us why you are considering doing so? We can give you the tapering information (it is available in the tapering section under the names of both drugs) but it would be much more helpful to know what is behind all the changes and the wish to start tapering so soon after switching drugs. If you were switched in response to a crisis it may not be a good idea to change anything for a long while.

Please put all the drugs you are taking (including supplements and over the counter drugs) in a signature strip which will attach itself to all of your posts. The instructions are here:

See how to create a signature here http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Also, how did you stop the seroxat? Were you continuing to taper since you came to the forum last year? You noted some symptoms that were suggestive of you becoming sensitized from tapering the seroxat too fast last May (2014). Did these resolve or are you still having them (the visual disturbances)?

We need all the above information in order to determine how to best answer your question about tapering.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I was forced to switch to olanzepine because I refused to go to school(I was feeling great then and had no symptoms and was taking just seroxat).I am no longer taking diazepam just olanzepine.What would you suggest I do ?The doctor said that olanzepine will cover up withdrawal symptoms...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi AM, I agree with CW, olanzapine is a completely different drug to seroxat and very unlikely to cushion any withdrawal symptoms but will sedate you enough to keep you from caring when taken along with such a high dose of diazepam. 

You were feeling great on seroxat but refusing to go to school, you must be quite young?  Are you being given the drugs for misbehaving? 

I'm sorry that you are going through this. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello again AM, how are you today?  If you are of school age could we help you with your mom involved too? We would like to help you and you are welcome here with any questions you have. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

arcticmonkey, can you do that without getting into trouble?

What are your current symptoms?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi again AM, are you still taking olanzapine?  You have been taking it for 3 weeks is that right? 

Can you tell us why you were given seroxat? A lot of people have side effects of seroxat, and I am wondering if you had side effects and that is why you were switched to olanzapine.  

Have you discussed getting off the drugs with your doctor?  We don't recommend drugs for depression or emotional problems because it has been proved now that there is no chemical imbalance that drugs can put right. We would only recommend reinstating a drug if there were some withdrawal symptoms and then at a very very tiny dose to stop withdrawal. As you are not suffering withdrawal I wonder why you want to go back to seroxat? A lot of people have hypomania on SSRI drugs which makes them feel high and very well but it is not real, it is a side effect of the drug that leads to people making bad decisions. You felt great on seroxat and refused to go to school, could that have been why, that seroxat made you feel really good and hyperactive? 

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

That's a good question. Generally, it's thought if a person is taking a drug a month or more, he or she is at risk for withdrawal syndrome. However, we see people here who get withdrawal syndrome even if they've been taking the drug less than a month.

See Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

If I were you, I'd try a 10% reduction per month first and see how it affects you. Often, people have the most difficulty in the last half of the taper.

Why were you looking to take Seroxat instead?