Sign in to follow this  
squirrel

How to cope with severe anxiety in withdrawl

squirrel

can anyone explain why I get extreme feelings of fear when there is nothing going on, I am ironing or just pottering about at home. It is dreadful! I can almost feel the adrenaline gushing around my body . It makes my stomach feel tender.I am 6 years off the drug.

summer

Hi S... well, you're off the drugs and I'm still tapering, but I can relate to the feelings you have, altho I have no idea why they just decide to come around. I usually say something to myself like... self, that's just a feeling, feelings can't hurt, bye now. Believe it or not, I'm soon onto something else, or at least thinking something else. Also, sometimes I turn on the TV, or do something to distract myself.

Hopeful

Squirrel,

Have you had this throughout your w/d or has it just started? I had it very bad for most of my w/d then it reduced itself to just a "creepy" feeling at times. I haven't had it for a long time now.

squirrel

hi hopeful , i have had it all the way through in the early years it was almost none stop, do not have it so often but after all this time and to still get it.

Light

Squirrel-

I had that daily for about 4 years in the morning. Now I only get it in the middle of the night if I wake up and can't go back to sleep. Overall I've had a lot of improvement on this front but it's disheartening to be experiencing it this far out. The key for me is to not be swept away by the fear--to realize that it is a chemical glitch and not an indication of a true threat. I try to regard it as a sensation, acknowledge it matter of factly. Almost like I am looking at objectively as something of interest. This sort of distancing has been helpful for me.

angie007

Hi Squirrel,

Yes i get that too, i know im recently off, but had it on and off throughout

my taper too, seemed to get worse at the really low doses.

Its a very uncomfortable disturbing symptom, and i hate it, and

as you say, there is never a trigger.

I get fearful of the silliest things, having a shower, so i take a bath,

thats not that comfortable either.

Going out places on my own can make me fearful too,

no wonder they call this the bloody FEAR drug!!!!

You are not alone, im right there with ya buddy!!!!

alexjuice

can anyone explain why I get extreme feelings of fear when there is nothing going on, I am ironing or just pottering about at home. It is dreadful! I can almost feel the adrenaline gushing around my body . It makes my stomach feel tender.I am 6 years off the drug.

Hey squirrel-

It's not something I can explain, but I definitely experience it too. I often feel intense fear, that I am in danger, when there is no reasonable threat. And, as others have said, I often wake up with a strong feeling of fear that is undirected. I just wake up with a racing heart and feeling extremely vigilant. Obviously, there's nothing to fear under the covers of my bed!

I wish I had the answer for how to stop this. If you come to one, please let me know of it!

Hope you are feeling well today.

Alex.i

squirrel

I went on Paxil for anxiety in 1997. However the anxiety experienced in withdrawl is in a different league altogether! to be honest I find it very hard to handle as slow deep breaths and self talk just doesn't help.I would be very gratefulfor any tips anyone can give me.

Altostrata

squirrel, I know what you mean.

All you can do is get from minute to minute, step by step. The slow breathing and self-talk help with that.

Are you able to walk 30 minutes a day? Walking helps the nervous system (and other hormonal systems) regulate themselves.

Healing

Have you tried something like closing your eyes for just five minutes, and focusing on the black inside your eyelids, and letting go of any thoughts? This is how I started -- just five minutes a day. And, at least that gives your body five minutes of something better. :)