SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Breath: Seroquel and me Time to break up soon.

Breath

Hi, new here of course. Sorry don't know what tags, are....

Anyway, I have been on Prozac, Celexa, Paxil, and Zoloft twice.  I am on Zoloft, Zopiclone/Imovane (sleep aid Rx)  and Seroquel which I am looking at getting off of.  I have gained so much weight with that drug.  And I only use it for a sleep aid, and yes I take 2 sleep aids, cause the Zopiclone (which acts like a benzo in the brain and has the severe withdrawal symptoms) that's why I didn't stop the Zopiclone  before going on the Seroquel.  But to be honest completely, the therapist at the time also said it would help my mood too, so I think that she Rx'd me that med for both sleep and mood thinking about it.  

I should have read other posts in the introductions topic, cause I don't know what else to say for now, only that when I start to taper off Seroquel I will need the support!! 

Oh, one more big thing that I hope will help others on PAXIL.  

I was on Paxil and I tried tapering so many times, but I would always get the "brain-zaps" if you know what I mean.  

I told my GP that I was trying to get off Paxil, she send me to this psychiatrist that is very knowledgeable when it comes to psyc meds.  So I see her and it was like she gave me a 'get out of jail free card'  She got me off Paxil that very day without any tapering or any withdrawals.  

She gave me a script for 5 Prozac pills.  Each pill was the equivalent in mgs to the Paxil pills.  I remember she gave me 20mg Prozac pills anyway. And she told me at her office that first day to stop taking the Paxil and my next dose will Prozac, and the same for the next 5 days.  And after I finish the Prozac, the P-doctor said that when done, I can either just stop taking anti-depressants or change to another one, but either way I was done with Paxil.  And it was true what she said, that day I was done with the worse medication that I was ever on, for me.

And at some point I want off of Zopiclone too, but don't know what I will get off first.  

So I guess thats about it for now. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Breath and welcome to SA!

It's great that unlike many of us here (myself included) you came here to plan your taper. You will find a lot of great information here and support on your journey to a drug-free life.

What will help us to give you our opinions on your particular situation is more info on your drug history, in particular the ones you are taking at present: their dosage and approximate dates on when you started taking them.

You can put this information in your signature here so that we can immediately see what is happening with the drugs every time you post. The link is here: 

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

It seems that you are now symptoms free which is a good situation to first plan out the taper and then start it.

Since you are taking more drugs, here is the link to information about tapering multiple drugs: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-taper-the-antidepressant-first/

Here is a link to information related to tapering Seroquel. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1707-tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine/

You already know that it is best to taper one drug at a time so that we know what is causing what in case some symptoms occur. Others with more experience will offer you their opinions on the cocktail you are taking so I would wait for their responses. All I can say it that it looks a bit strange for me: ADs, antipsychotic, a hypnotic... 

So while we are waiting for more opinions, you can put down your drug history and if you have time, browse through the links I gave you. I'm sure you'll find a lot of interesting information there. 

Also, for you and other people who might be reading, here is what we have heard gathered on the so/called bridging with Prozac that you describe as a tapering method used by your doctor to get you off of Paxil: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/

The gist is this: CAUTION: A switch to a bridge drug is not guaranteed to work. It's safer to slow down a taper than count on a switch. Sometimes the switch doesn't work. It really should be used only when a taper becomes unbearable or there are other serious adverse effects from the medication. You must work with a doctor who is familiar with bridging, in case you develop severe symptoms.

Hope I didn't give you too much homework ;) and once again welcome to SA. You will g=find a lot of friendly support here.

best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Breath,

Here's our topic on tapering off of Seroquel:  Tips for Tapering Off Seroquel.  As you probably know, Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic.  In my opinion they're among the most dangerous of psychiatric drugs partly because of the extreme weight gain most people experience which can easily lead to diabetes. I suggest that you taper this one first. The Zopiclone may also help to cushion your withdrawal from Seroquel.

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.