Neuromuscular symptoms: muscle tics, twitches, fasciculations, spasms, cramps, restless legs

Hopeful

Maybe a small dose of fish oil???

Seems to calm my muscle/nerves.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

Started to taper pristiq and clonazepam after four months:

5th month:

2 weeks - 3/4 tablet PRISTIQ   (deducting the clonazepam also, so hard to cut)

2 weeks - 1/2 tablet PRISTIQ   (crumbs of clonazepam nightly)

2 weeks - 1/8 or less (hard to cut really) (zero clonazepam)

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.

I don't have pain, but I have weird sensations and a lot of twitching and jerking of all my muscles, mostly my legs. It's especially bad when I lie down and try to fall asleep - that's when the worst twitching happens. When I cut the Flupentixol dose I couldn't sleep for a couple of days because of the twitching in my legs. It has subsided since I reinstated the full dose. I think it's definitely a symptom of withdrawal. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Why do my muscles keep twitching all the time and my stomach and chest feel like they are constantly vibrating inside

Short answer, you are in W/D. Been through all of that and it will get better. Hang in there....

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

I have those sympton. ????

Been taking paroxatine for approx 15 years.Tried a few times yo stop but failed. Am currently on 3.5mg liquid

Jan 2016 been slow tapering paroxatine and i am currently at 2.9 mg and last drop was 5 weeks ago.

Started to feel awful about 3 weeks ago with brain ???? , shakes, blurred vision and dizzyness. ..

My muscles twitch and jerk too.

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.

Does it feel like your insides are moving and vibrating almost like a palpitation feeling in different parts of your body

Mikey : I can relate to the palpitation feeling almost all over my body and I always feel horrible stifness in my muscles after that .

On and off prozac from 2010 -2014 .

Several failed fast tapers and reinstatements .

Cold turkey : March  2014 .

-----------------------------------------

took lysanxia 40 mg a day for almost a year
november -14- 2018 weaned to 30 mg
november -26- 2018 weaned to 20 mg
symptoms that got better : fatigue
current symptoms : severe anxiety
one rescue dose (10 mg ) december -15 -2018

It feels like my insides are moving and jumping around this WD symptom has gone on for ages now , ive had a guts full of it

• 2 weeks later...

My joints are extremely loose, for over two months now. I wonder if anyone has this as either a side effect or withdrawal effect from trazodone? I'm bed ridden because of it. I had pre existing problems, but I was healed, so I am very scared I damaged something or it has come back. 

Several ssri's, antipsychotics, opiads and benzo's since 2003.

Flurazepam: rapid taper after 6 weeks usage in beginning of march 2015

Trazodone: rapid taper from 50ms to 0mgs end of july 2015

Current medication:12 mgs seroquel (from 25mgs)

I had that for a few days last week after i cut my paxil from 5mg to 2.5mg.  Forearm muscles, bicep, and something around my left side under the ribs, little vibrations. They ended after a few days and now are gone.

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

been off A/D's for about 3months now after 2 years of use. still have these muscle twitching it's annoying , but imo is the least of my problems compared from the restlessness,mental fog, and fatigue

Summer 2013: started on Prozac for OCD

Fall 2013: started Lexapro due to Prozac zombie effects

Stopped Lexapro because of lack of empathy/emotion,anxiety,lack of concentration etc.

Fall 2014: switched to zoloft 

February 2015: started effexor quit C/D after 2 weeks.

April 2015: was on zoloft for a month again to try and wean a bit more slowly. DID not work.

May 2015: dumped all of my medications

July 2015: Struggling day to day with withdrawal symptoms but hopeful that I'll be better at the end of august for the next school year.

I have a sort of tip for the twitching. If you get it mostly in the legs like I do, you can take a pillow and put it between your legs and lie down on your side, so that the pillow is between your legs. I surround my whole body with pillows and it seems to help somewhat. Also a heavy blanket helps, but it can't be used right now when the weather is so hot. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Several similar topics merged

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 4 months later...

Hi Toulouse.I can sympathise with you.weaning from paroxatine I have had terrible pain in my neck ,shoulders, arms and legs along with sensitive almost feel g bruised skin and burning skin.It had been 14 months now with no let up.I really hope this goes away.

Been taking paroxatine for approx 15 years.Tried a few times yo stop but failed. Am currently on 3.5mg liquid

Jan 2016 been slow tapering paroxatine and i am currently at 2.9 mg and last drop was 5 weeks ago.

Started to feel awful about 3 weeks ago with brain ???? , shakes, blurred vision and dizzyness. ..

• 3 weeks later...

Please can anyone tell me if they have had muscle and shoulder pain as a withdrawal symptoms. IT is a painful burning and aching pain with muscle tightness also across my neck.THis keeps me away at night to the point of no sleep and then exhausted in the day only to be kept awake all night the next night.I have had this now for a month with no relief.I am currently on 3 mg of paroxatine (very long and slow withdrawl)Also I have a strange feeling g as if all my muscles in my body are moving all the time from my feet to my head.Im hoping that this will go away.

Katieb

I started using Paxil for about 2 yrs. I then switched to Zoloft/sertraline (anywhere from 50 mg to 150 mg) for 10 years, thereafter.Last year around November, I started tapering from 100mg. The process was quite crude I will admit: I simply broke off pieces of my the pill keeping close tabs on my feelings and emotions. Am not able to say how many mg I was over what period of time because I was doing it completely intuitively. By the end of December 2014, I had been completely off. Truthfully the emotional aspects that I experienced were rough but paled in comparison to the physical problems that soon manifested. As the drugs left my system I started to notice twisting in my torso and neck. As someone who was very active, I was abruptly forced to stopped going to the gym when one day I lost some coordination of my pelvis and trunk. After doing some research, I realized I might have tardive dystonia in my trunk, neck, and hips. I developed an awkward gait making walking, sitting, and being active difficult and often painful. I end up walking on the outer edge of my feet. <p>I want to believe that this is nothing more than one of the withdrawal symptoms that will go away over time. But, it's been a year and a half and there has been no improvement.

Hi katieb

You had mentioned muscle movement all over your body quite a few months ago. Has that ceased at all for you? I have similar thing going on and was wondering where you might be with that?

I started using Paxil for about 2 yrs. I then switched to Zoloft/sertraline (anywhere from 50 mg to 150 mg) for 10 years, thereafter.Last year around November, I started tapering from 100mg. The process was quite crude I will admit: I simply broke off pieces of my the pill keeping close tabs on my feelings and emotions. Am not able to say how many mg I was over what period of time because I was doing it completely intuitively. By the end of December 2014, I had been completely off. Truthfully the emotional aspects that I experienced were rough but paled in comparison to the physical problems that soon manifested. As the drugs left my system I started to notice twisting in my torso and neck. As someone who was very active, I was abruptly forced to stopped going to the gym when one day I lost some coordination of my pelvis and trunk. After doing some research, I realized I might have tardive dystonia in my trunk, neck, and hips. I developed an awkward gait making walking, sitting, and being active difficult and often painful. I end up walking on the outer edge of my feet. <p>I want to believe that this is nothing more than one of the withdrawal symptoms that will go away over time. But, it's been a year and a half and there has been no improvement.

Europe. ...The muscle movement is still happening all over my body.Twitching all over it comes and goes.I think I am currently in a wave.For the past week (3 weeks ) after my last drop I am experiencing dizziness not vertigo but more unbalancing feeling .Like if I move my eyes it seems to take ages for them to refocus again.its not nice and makes me extremely tired and head achy. Reading and watching TV are almost impossible as is writing this post. I Have had this before but way way back in the early part of my wd and it has surprised me this far down the line.I hope it clears soon.

How are you doing?

I totally understand the eyes refocusing.  I really struggled with that a few months ago, but seems to have gotten better.  I do get twitches as well, which is annoying but bearable for the most part.  Underneath all the surface twitching is a sustained muscular contraction that puts my body in a weird posture and does not let up.  This has been the most disturbing aspect of my recovery by far.  I'm hoping that just as the eyes refocusing having improved, that the body posture will correct itself over time.  Thanks for taking the time to update, I know how taxing it is to do anything.

So you said "last drop", does that mean you are completely off paroxetine?

Hi Europa. Oh how I wish this was my last ever drop of paroxatine but sadly no.It was the last reduction I did.I am currently on 1.45ml which is 2.9mg .I am tapering very very slowly as I feel every drop .I roughly calculate that it will be approx 5 years withdrawing from this stuff.Iam not the only one who has chosen to do it this way although it can be very tempting to try and speed things up sometimes.I wouldn't of course but it is a very long and drawn out process, but I'll get thare in the end.

I wish you a non stressful time over the Christmas period and hope you feel some relief soon.

I am sure you will be strong to see it through, however long it takes. Wish you the best and a happy holidays to you as well Katieb

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Any tips on dealing with the increased muscle tension symptom from paxil withdrawal? Im coming down on a microtaper right now, started at 20mg and cutting down slowly by weight once a day. I came down a little too fast in the last month so I'm slowing it down a lot more now, but I dont know if its from being kind of sick with a cold or if its the paxil withdrawal but my muscle tension symptoms have increased pretty significantly in the last week. Right now Im not exactly sure where I am but probably around 13 mg or something.

• Moderator Emeritus

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6504-tension-pain-twitches-spasms-in-muscles-and-joints/ *topics merged

I'll eventually merge these threads. 

Personally, I use the following for some relief:  epsom salts baths, magnesium, learning to meditate, yoga-nidra, breathing exercises, guided meditation.

Edited by Petunia
updated

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

It does sound like it's related to Paxil withdrawal. Could be a good reason to get a professional massage? 

I agree with KarenB that magnesium can be very powerful.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Those who experienced extreme muscle tension and/or head pressure during withdrawal (I believe the two may be related), did it ever get better?  I've tried magnesium, epsom salt baths, deep tissue massage, etc.  Nothing seems to help.

3/9/15 - Mirtazapine to 30 mg.

3/16/15 - Reduced Mirtazapine to 15 mg.  Four days later withdrawal symptoms began.

4/1/15 - Resumed Mirtazapine 30 mg.  Insomnia and anxiety problems continued.  Given Ambien and 0.5 mg Lorazepam to take as needed.

4/2/15 - Reduced Mirtazapine to 26.75 mg.  Again, four days later withdrawal symptoms began.

4/7/15 - Resumed Mirtazapine 30 mg.  Insomnia and anxiety problems continue to this day.

4/14/15 - New PDoc reduced Mirtazapine to 15 mg.  Began 20mg Citalopram, Zolpidem 10 mg, and 2.0 mg Lorazepam daily.

4/16/15 - Increased Citalopram to 40 mg.  Reduced Lorazepam to PRN.  Switched to Zolpidem CR 12.5 mg.

5/11/15 - Reduced Citalopram to 20 mg.  Was told to take Lorazepam 0.5 mg nightly along with Mirtazapine 15 mg and Zolpidem CR 12.5 mg.

5/19/15 - Reduced Citalopram to 10 mg.  Still taking Lorazepam 0.5 mg, Mirtazapine 15 mg, and Zolpidem CR 12.5 mg.

8/17/15 - Lorazepam 0.5 mg &  Zolpidem CR 12.5 mg for sleep.

8/27/15 - Lorazepam 0.375 mg & Zolpidem CR 12.5 mg.  Supplementing with 5-HTP, taurine, theanine, deplin.

Those who experienced extreme muscle tension and/or head pressure during withdrawal (I believe the two may be related), did it ever get better? I've tried magnesium, epsom salt baths, deep tissue massage, etc. Nothing seems to help.

The only thing to make a significant difference was a dental mouth guard. WD causes bruxism, teeth/jaw clenching /grinding. This causes tension in head neck and shoulders and below. Apparently the majority of top tennis /golf players use them for this reason. Teeth/crowns are often a casualty in WD for this reason. It has made a big difference but the only cure is time

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• Moderator Emeritus

My very tense jaw muscles got better when I learned exercises for relaxing them, and started doing them lots during the day.  Now I do them automatically when I feel tense, and I suspect that keeps the issue away.

I just googled you-tube for TMJ jaw relaxing exercises. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

80%of bruxism occurs subconciously at night.

I also do jaw relaxing exercises , made very little difference to mine. The mouthguard did. I guess it depends on whether your symptoms are major or minor

What do you mean by muscle tension? Do you mean you have the urge to flex or tighten your muscles? I have that... first i had muscle weakness all autumn and then it changed to this weird urge to flex my muscles and it seams to move from one certain muscle group to another. It started from my stomach it was like there were butterflies in my stomach the feeling when you get when you are excited then it moved to my legs and then to my buttocks( i had to squeeze my buttocks together) then it moved to my ****** and now i have some sort of PGAD... Is this akathisia moving around my body?

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

I mean everything from my nipples to the top of my scalp hurts.  Chest, upper back, neck, face, sinuses, forehead.  Like a tension headache times a thousand.  I could handle a few days of this, but this has been going on for months now with no signs of stopping.  NSAIDs do nothing.  I believe it was this muscle tension/head pressure that caused Phil Lawrence ("Numb") to go back on an SSRI, knowing full well what they do to people.  He just couldn't take the physical agony anymore.

It seems like once we've destabilized our nervous systems with these poisons, we're given a choice:  Be forever physically anxious or forever emotionally numb.

3/9/15 - Mirtazapine to 30 mg.

3/16/15 - Reduced Mirtazapine to 15 mg.  Four days later withdrawal symptoms began.

4/1/15 - Resumed Mirtazapine 30 mg.  Insomnia and anxiety problems continued.  Given Ambien and 0.5 mg Lorazepam to take as needed.

4/2/15 - Reduced Mirtazapine to 26.75 mg.  Again, four days later withdrawal symptoms began.

4/7/15 - Resumed Mirtazapine 30 mg.  Insomnia and anxiety problems continue to this day.

4/14/15 - New PDoc reduced Mirtazapine to 15 mg.  Began 20mg Citalopram, Zolpidem 10 mg, and 2.0 mg Lorazepam daily.

4/16/15 - Increased Citalopram to 40 mg.  Reduced Lorazepam to PRN.  Switched to Zolpidem CR 12.5 mg.

5/11/15 - Reduced Citalopram to 20 mg.  Was told to take Lorazepam 0.5 mg nightly along with Mirtazapine 15 mg and Zolpidem CR 12.5 mg.

5/19/15 - Reduced Citalopram to 10 mg.  Still taking Lorazepam 0.5 mg, Mirtazapine 15 mg, and Zolpidem CR 12.5 mg.

8/17/15 - Lorazepam 0.5 mg &  Zolpidem CR 12.5 mg for sleep.

8/27/15 - Lorazepam 0.375 mg & Zolpidem CR 12.5 mg.  Supplementing with 5-HTP, taurine, theanine, deplin.

I mean everything from my nipples to the top of my scalp hurts. Chest, upper back, neck, face, sinuses, forehead. Like a tension headache times a thousand. I could handle a few days of this, but this has been going on for months now with no signs of stopping. NSAIDs do nothing. I believe it was this muscle tension/head pressure that caused Phil Lawrence ("Numb") to go back on an SSRI, knowing full well what they do to people. He just couldn't take the physical agony anymore.

It seems like once we've destabilized our nervous systems with these poisons, we're given a choice: Be forever physically anxious or forever emotionally numb.

Get a mouthguard, go on a low histamine diet, go caffeine free and get through one day at a time. It will improve. It does get better . It is worth it. There is no guarantee of a happy outcome if you go back on the pills.

• 2 months later...

This article was taken from the blog:

http://willspirit.com/

Body Armor (May 27, 2011)

However, if tension persists, the muscle enters a state of spasm. High tissue pressure within tight muscle bands restricts capillary blood flow. With compromised circulation, a muscle’s oxygen supply gets depleted, so its cells cannot maintain proper ion balance. Calcium accumulates in the muscle fibers, and stimulates worsening contraction and spasm.

A vicious cycle occurs when spasm further increases tissue pressure, which worsens the circulatory compromise. Oxygen becomes even more depleted, more calcium accumulates, and the muscle grows ever tighter. Contracted muscle bands become self-perpetuating as a result. The affected areas no longer relax, even if neural stimuli for contraction cease.

I recently started taking a calcium/magnesium/D3 liquid (the dose calls for 2 tablespoons and I'm only taking 1 teaspoon per day) I haven't been able to tolerate a D vitamin, but this so far hasn't bothered me. I wonder if this is not a good idea after reading the above article regarding the calcium and muscle tension...muscle tension is one of my residuals.

Jan wrote something about taking supplements together being a bad idea... I can't recall where I read it but will see if I can get her to look at this... 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Take iron at least 2 hours away from calcium

Take magnesium at least 2 hours away from calcium

And, if you can -  take magnesium at least 2 hours away from iron.  

If you take calcium, also take K2 or nattokinase with it.

this is what she wrote about supplements....

I have had so many strange sensations some felt like death others just weird... one thing we need to guard against in wd is health anxiety but I have to great answer for it as I looked up everything google and still do... I had zaps in my spine like brain zaps only they did not end at my brain but it does not sound like what you have now.  

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Hey btdt, I used to get zaps that started in the centre of my chest and radiated out to my hands and feet.

I've had brain zaps too so I know what they feel like. The zaps I have had elsewhere in the body feel like the same kind of phenomenon as brain zaps and I guess they are - misfiring of the nervous system.

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

I've constantly got muscle tension all over my body and I've had it for years (13 years) ever since the first time I cold turkeyed from paroxetine.

It never completely goes away but I can get it to manageable levels by doing daily yoga. If I don't do it every day it creeps right back in again. There are so many parts of my body I need to work on just to feel more normal. My neck and shoulders, intercostal muscles, pelvic floor muscles, legs, especially hamstrings.

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

Ever since discontinuing Prozac I've experienced really bad restless legs, and with that keeping me awake most of the time, when I do fall asleep I jolt awake (not like those falling sensations that jolt you awake ) but it's different, it feels like it comes from my chest and my legs also. It's as soon as I'm dropping off, when it happens I'm then up for a further hour. It frightens me so much I have to get up for a few minutes. It's like something breaking out of me. It's like my body just wants to twitch all over, like my whole body is alive. It's very odd. I can't explain it.

2001 - Prozac 20mg for a week weeks   2001- Venelaxafine 37.5 mg  2006 - Ciptralex 10mg I think   2008 - Mirtazipine (not sure of dose, was the lowest though).  2008 - Citalopram (standard dose)  2009 - Prozac 20mg until 29 Feb 2016  2016 - Setraline 25mg for 3 days (from March 3rd until March 5th).  2016 - 11th March Reinstated 5mg prozac. 26th May 2016 down to 4.5mg Prozac. 26June 2016 down to 4mg prozac. Back up to 5mg on 3rd July 2016.

Supplements - B- Complex, Flaxseed oil, L-lysine 1000mg, Iron 20mg. Spirulina 500mg. Quest Synergist Magnesium 150mg, Salmon oil 1000mg twice a day, Evening Primrose oil 500mg. 

Cipralex 10mg 17th July 2016.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy