Hopeful

Tension, pain, twitches, excruciating spasms in muscles and joints

vaseadude

If the knee pain was caused by overstrain, shouldn't the pain be constant and not on and off for a few weeks?

This, and also the fact that it happened twice exactly 3-4 weeks after the cut, really makes me think it's the withdrawal.

Skyler

After that I reinstated the exercises but I dropped the long standing practice in favor of some movements and for less time. And now I feel this pain in the knees that I described above again. So I stopped the new exercises as well yesterday, and today I still had the pain, and in the evening it became worse.

Sounds like you have an injury, so when you became active again it flared up. Injuries to ligaments can take several months to heal. Hope you feel better soon.. I guess if you stop the exercise and your knees once again feel better you will know.

vaseadude

I guess I will stop anyway, even if its withdrawal. I dont think its a good idea to exercise when the knees hurt, either way...

If it's withdrawal is it supposed to go away faster than a few months? THat way I can know it's withdrawal... or how else can I know if I am injured or it's withdrawal? I am a little confused how to solve this mystery.

Skyler

I guess I will stop anyway, even if its withdrawal. I dont think its a good idea to exercise when the knees hurt, either way...

If it's withdrawal is it supposed to go away faster than a few months? THat way I can know it's withdrawal... or how else can I know if I am injured or it's withdrawal? I am a little confused how to solve this mystery.

The odds are that it is not withdrawal.. from your description, it is acting like a ligament injury and it coincided with your exercise regimen. The problem with making an incorrect assumption is you could keep reinjuring your knee. I had an elbow injury from swinging a golf club and hitting the ground. I had just started on the golf course and was not very good so would hit the ground when missing the ball. My elbow started hurting.. I was like you and thought it should go away.. so I pushed it for a few weeks, nothing dramatic, but enough. I thought being careful was good enough. Well, it took eight months to heal because I did that.. so err on the side of caution. You may need to use extra care for awhile, as stresses that previously caused no problem may activate the injury. I hope you heal up soon.

Barbarannamated

Vasea,

How's your knee doing?

I just came across a list of odd symptoms that, together, might be clues to adrenal/cortisol dysfunction. Knee pain or weakness was included.

I hesitate to mention this because it seems so obscure, but considering the cortisol fluctuations that are common, I just thought I'd mention the possible connection. I'm not suggesting that you have adrenal problems!

http://m.naturalnews.com/news/024985_cortisol_blood_fatigue.html

I hope you're doing better.

vaseadude

Barb, thanks for sharing this info! and thanks for asking about my knees)

Nowadays my knees are pretty fine. Those symptoms seemed to last for a few days and fade, then maybe appear again. In short, weird..

I've checked your link, and although I dont have all those symptoms I do have sleep disturbances, back pain, and postural hypotension but not the rest. I suspect it's all caused by the AP drug. Can adrenal failure be caused by these drugs, and thus present itself in those symptoms?

Barbarannamated

Vaseadude,

These drugs all interfere with the neuroendocrine feedback loops and cascade of functions at some point, so difficult to determine causation. I thinking it's safe to say that during withdrawal and healing, the neuroendocrine system is attempting to readapt and reach homeostasis.

I just happened to read that article yesterday and then saw your post about knees, so thought I'd mention. Good to hear you're doing better!

vaseadude

Barbara,

Do you think it's possible to somehow naturally mitigate this neuroendocrine imbalance so that our side effects are less severe and we can taper more easily? Or all we have to do is just taper and hope to be better when we are off those meds?

Barbarannamated

Vaseadude,

I'm not an expert in this area and struggling to figure out my own situation. However, i believe that, in most cases, it's best to allow the body to naturally find its new normal thru a slow taper. Adding any new substances risks further imbalance to the entire system, similar to adding new psychotropics to offset the effects of the previous drug or of withdrawal. We don't know if the changes caused by drugs are permanent or temporary adaptations that will reverse.

There are some suggestions in Symptoms about lowering cortisol. I believe it's well established that SSRIs effect cortisol production although I'm not certain of the mechanism. Cortisol (related to adrenaline) is a POWERFUL hormone.

I do take estrogen and thyroid drugs for conditions that were present many years ago.

This is just my opinion as of today. Subject to change with more information ;)

vaseadude

Got it! Thanx! :)

JustineMiller

About three weeks after I tapered Mirtazapine from 15 to 7.5; I woke up one morning with my neck/shoulder in such a severe cramp I could not move. I had to have assistance for about 48 hours. at the time I attributed it to just completing 2 weeks of a yoga teacher training in the mountains without drinking enough water.

about 7 weeks ago I my hip cramped while lifting a heavy weight in the wrong manner. I was in bed for a week, could not move at all for about 2 days. attributed it to pulling weeds incorrectly while angry, but in fact I had dropped my Mirt dose from 7.5 to 3.75 and back to 7.5 for 1 day a few weeks previously.

I dropped my Mirt dose from 7.5 to 3.75 about 2 weeks ago. yesterday while moving a railroad tie my hip cramped up again and was flat all day and so far today as well.

I looked up MIrt WD on Internet again this morning and found a few mentions of "back pain, joint pain, muscle pain".

Since I am a dancer I have had various problems my whole life, but nothing like these 3 episodes, ever, since I have been on Mirt. Normally I am extremely flexible and strong and can do lots of things my close in age sister, for example, can't. Anyway, I would love to hear from other people on this topic.

Thanks, JM

Rhiannon

I don't know how much is age and how much is something else, but right from the beginning of my withdrawal process I've noticed changes in my connective tissue and a definite increase in how sore my muscles get when I overwork (or even just work) them. And I seem to get injuries more easily, and they take longer to heal.

Nikki

When I was tapering Lexapro I used to get that. The best remedy for me was to lie down with a comforter and let the heat from the blanket draw the pain from my legs - ankles - and feet.

Worked like a charm....

areyouthere

I experience muscle soreness & cramping when tapering my AD. I use a myofacial release roller to relieve / release the muscles that are tensing up. There are you tube vids that explain how to do this.

In addition to that I use heat , drink LOTS of water and make sure that I keep my muscles, especially the long muscles, stretched by using the roller & heat . Easy does it.

I would think prevention is worth an ounce cure here. You may not be able to avoid the increase in tension but you can alleviate it safely. It does go away with the cycles of taper.

RU

Trying

I,am now 3 months of and having bad nerve and muscle pain,

Also my knees hurt bad from time to time....

The nerve pain, stinging feeling is mostly in my lower legs,

The muscle pain in upper legs.

Sometime,s i also have this tingeling feeling in my face, chin area...

Is there some one else with these symptoms?

X

Trying

I already take magnesium 800 mg before bed, and vit C 3000 .

Temperance

Greetings

Sorry to hear of your muscle & nerve pain. I have it very much. I don't know if it's directly caused by the psyche meds or a ruptured silicone implant, but this week for instance, I've been unable to go out & have instead lay out chronically exhausted & in pain all over, feeling like I'm 120 years old.

I have pain killers but they bite back somehow. As a Dutch citizen, you could try Bedrocan or something like that, but you'd need to decide if it's right for you. The reason I say this is because I've used something similar & it was verging on miraculous in treating all my aches & pains of body, heart & mind. Ingesting was the most effective mode of administration, but you have to know what you're doing, plus some are put off by the reputation that goes before it.

I also tried Kava Kava root only, but again you'd need to be carefull & reserach it beforehand. KonaKavaFarm in Hawaii was where I got mine from but since Fukushima, I'm not sure it's safe to import from that region. Check any other types of medication you might be taking. Ive noticed tylenol forte or co-codamol 30/500 seems to give me bad nerve pain in my lower legs...like a nerve is being stuck with a hot needle...indescribable tbh...hope this helps

Best ones

Temperance

UK

Temperance
AboutClay Brochure.pdf

I already take magnesium 800 mg before bed, and vit C 3000 .

Have you tried clay as a detox? http://www.aboutclay.com I noticed a difference in brain fog within 6 hours after my first dose of edible Zeolite clay which is also good for treating radioation exposure which is happeing to all of us from Fukushima. Bentonite clay & iodine too. http://www.fukushimafacts.com see also http://www.greenclays.com/ & for Euorpe http://www.zeolith-bentonit-versand.de/en/?___from_store=de Bicarbonate of soda is very good de-tox, also safe replacement of mercury fillings by advance dentist, filtering your water, & using non-fluoride toothpaste will ease the burden of toxicity. http://drsircus.com/

orchidblossom777

You are not alone. I have had burning and tingling intermittently since starting Zoloft August 16, 2013, and ever since being off, September 23rd, 2013.. THANKFULLY, it has been getting waaay better with how often they are happening, and has gone down hugely in intensity. When I first started, I had prickly heat all over my body, burning face, hands, feet, arms, legs, back, and mouth, rapid heart rate, weight loss, lack of appetite, insomnia, over the top Anxiety, muscle twitches, and my right arm and leg felt like I had a sock on them ( which has almost gone completely away). Now I have my finger tips amd toes burn occasionally, my tongue in two spots you can see turn red, my cheeks.. but mild and maybe once a day or twice at the most. My Primary has referred me to a Neurologist to make sure we haven't over seen anything, and they just checked me for Lupus yesterday. I know it isn't Lupus or an Auto Immune Disorder, but just residual nerve Irritation.. We will see... I have been logging every symptom for weeks, since the beginning, and I have been amazed at how much has decreased over these weeks. I have had my blood work checked three times over these months, and ALL vitamins and mineral levels are fine, as well as kidney, liver, wbc, rbc, ect ALL in normal levels.. I am vitamin D deficient, and take Vitamin D/C daily as well as  a Multivitamin and Omegas daily.. One day at a Time.. We will get through this.. Happy Thanksgiving!! :-)  

Nadia

One of the symptoms that persists for me is a really particular kind of back pain... it's like extreme muscle tension, mostly around my sacrum, but weird. As if there were something corrosive inside of me. Since I have other sorts of back trouble, it took me a while to realize this was tied to when I have spells of not being well... now that most of my symptoms are very diminished, it sticks out like a sore thumb!

Anyway, I've found stretching helps a lot, and massaging with magnesium oil, and taking a Chi Kung class most of all. We imagine taking in universal energy from the earth and sky as a golden light and washing ourselves with it. You raise your arms as if collecting the energy and then pour it over you and imagine all the stagnant energy in you washing away and getting recycled. For some reason that really helps me! I think positive visualization can really help activate your mind and body to heal themselves.

BeatAnxiety

Hi, 

I would like to specifically ask about muscle and joint pain as part of discontinuation.  Did you get it and how long did it last?  Also, did it interfere with your ability to exercise and function?  Pain is around my trunk and low back, pelvic bones and my right leg muscles feel like they are locked up.  Any attempt to exercise causes severe pain.

I have it bad and I developed it while on the meds and it was the reason for coming off SSRI/SNRIs.

Thanks

Addax

Interesting question...

For me it's difficult to know what's withdrawal and what's aging. I've had more pain & injuries during this withdrawal than I ever have. I haven't added to or intensified my exercise. It doesn't feel like muscle pain, it's tendon, ligament, and now cartilage (meniscus?)stuff. Never the same place and just since last August or so, when I started tapering. But again, maybe it's age and a coincidence. I am intrigued though and am going to look into it some.

trouper

lately i've been getting odd pains in areas lasting sometimes for only 10 mins to a few hours and other pains lasting a few days. spots include hip bone, side jaw, elbow, inside elbow, shoulder, knee, etc. it frequently happens when I'm sleeping which wakes me up.  hard to tell if its from dehydration, exercise, age, or withdrawal.

Addax

So far, just doing a preliminary google search, I'm finding several places where joint and muscle pain, and muscle weakness are listed as symptoms of SSRI discontinuation, as well as just SSRI use. But the websites, like livestrong.com, don't cite any references. While the legitimacy or source of their information might be questionable, just the fact that there is mention of it is kind of interesting to me.

I'd never thought to look up anything on this topic despite the ongoing injury-like pain. Actually, they pain may indeed be injury related, which makes me wonder if perhaps there's a connection to injury proneness. Truth be told, I hope it's the Prozac withdrawal and not age... maybe I'm just looking for away to deny the aging process by blaming Prozac :).

Here's the livestrong article talking about Prozac withdrawal if you're interested. There's nothing particularly great about the article, but I guess it's a good thing that something as commercially driven and mainstream is acknowledging and mentioning SSRI withdrawal.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/29521-prozac-withdrawal-symptoms/

Meimeiquest

Somehow I think it may have a connection to cortisol, but I don't have any documentation on that. Mine developed while on Prozac for years, was gone while poly drugging, but back now. I was diagnosed at one time with fibromyalgia.

Nadia

I went to a sports medicine doctor for my back problems, and when some of my issues did not resolve after 10 sessions of physical therapy (excercises, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, massage), he said I have myofascial pain syndrome. I never said a word about my withdrawal, but he said he could tell I was an anxious person, and anxiety and depression can exacerbate pain. He said this was due to lower serotonin, which increases pain. I mention it for what it's worth.

In my case I think a lot of it has to do with continuous muscle tension from prolonged withdrawal.

BeatAnxiety

Biggest issue I'm having since coming off ADs is pain around my mid-section/trunk area and muscles that get sore at the slightest exertion.  I don't find "muscle pain" as a listed side effect on any of the medical websites that discuss SSRI or AD discontinuation and withdrawal.  Symptoms listed are wide ranging and do include parasthesia and akasthesia but that is not what I'm having.  It's just unrelenting chronic muscle pain…not numbness, tingling, burning, or movement issues.  I am now having chest pain too.  I'm not overweight and otherwise pretty healthy despite the hell I am experiencing mentally.

My primary care Dr has a referral in for me to get checked out for this.

I am beginning to think it is either neurotoxicity from all the meds I was on or it could be associated with the high level of anxiety I am experiencing.  But, wanted to see if anyone suffered/suffers from muscle pain as a discontinuation symptom.  

Petunia

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen has flu-like aches and pains listed in his withdrawal checklist here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2390-dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

Also, if you read through enough introduction threads you will find that lots of people experience the kind of muscle pain you describe. Here is a thread discussing muscle tension:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/418-muscle-tension/

Its good that you are getting it checked out, but it may be happening as a result of the increased anxiety of withdrawal.

Rhiannon

I agree, best to get it checked out. I think it's a good idea to get a thorough medical checkup if you're wondering if something is withdrawal or not. Best to know for sure.

Pain (or rather what I think of as a lower pain threshold) is definitely one of my withdrawal symptoms (although I'm reducing other meds besides just SSRI). And "flu-like aches and pains" is I think very commonly listed as an SSRI withdrawal symptom. We certainly hear it complained of here. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing or not.

Altostrata

BeatAnxiety, have you tried acupuncture for this pain?

Adah

Hi BeatAnxiety.

I actually just posted this question myself. I have a chronic back injury that for years was only bothersome. Since I've been doing my med tapers, it's become almost debilitating. Again, I have an existing injury there, but the pain I am feeling is above and beyond what I've previously dealt with. I had shingles once, and it feels a lot like that.

Altostrata

I had tingling pain in my arms, hands, and back from withdrawal for about 1.5 years. It finally went away with acupuncture.

Many, many people here have had pain of various kinds as a withdrawal symptom.

In the withdrawal literature (see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/325-papers-on-diagnosis-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/), you will find this kind of pain under "paresthesia" or "myalgia." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myalgia

Myalgia, or muscle pain, is a symptom of many diseases and disorders. The most common causes are the overuse or over-stretching of a muscle or group of muscles.

Withdrawal syndrome from certain drugs

Sudden cessation of high-dose corticosteroids, opioids, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, caffeine or alcohol can induce myalgia in many respects.

Have you tried magnesium glycinate? That can help muscle pain.

It is possible your pain is due to something else. If it started while you were taking a psychiatric drug, it could be a lingering adverse effect of the drug. If it started after discontinuation, that's an indicator it's a withdrawal symptom.

Even if it's fibromyalgia, another poorly understood syndrome, you can recover from it.

JanCarol

Ah Adah, you found this place.  I came to check to see if others have it.

Now I remember the "flu-like" thing,  But that's not like it is for me.  It's more that old aches and pains have deepened or that I haven't felt them while on full doses of psych meds, and now they are back (or increasing as I age) with a bite.

It's not debilitating like Adah, but I find I'm spending more time in pain than not.

And of course, Alto!  The magnesium is always the best.  I use my gel all the time, take soaks, and take a supplement, too.  I couldn't survive without them!  (maybe then I would be debilitated!)

btdt

I had tingling pain in my arms, hands, and back from withdrawal for about 1.5 years. It finally went away with acupuncture.

Many, many people here have had pain of various kinds as a withdrawal symptom.

In the withdrawal literature (see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/325-papers-on-diagnosis-of-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/), you will find this kind of pain under "paresthesia" or "myalgia." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myalgia

Myalgia, or muscle pain, is a symptom of many diseases and disorders. The most common causes are the overuse or over-stretching of a muscle or group of muscles.

Withdrawal syndrome from certain drugs

Sudden cessation of high-dose corticosteroids, opioids, barbiturates, benzodiazepines, caffeine or alcohol can induce myalgia in many respects.

Have you tried magnesium glycinate? That can help muscle pain.

It is possible your pain is due to something else. If it started while you were taking a psychiatric drug, it could be a lingering adverse effect of the drug. If it started after discontinuation, that's an indicator it's a withdrawal symptom.

Even if it's fibromyalgia, another poorly understood syndrome, you can recover from it.

Neither of these worked for me... I tried both. 

I was diagnosed with fibro... after prozac treatment was more antidepressants. 

I eventually quit them all... 

have posts under chronic fatigue fibro... as in drug induced mitochondria dysfunction after I found a link between firbo and mito damage... seemed to be full circle to me. 

Altostrata

Well, btdt, everyone is different, that's understood, no need to post this didn't apply to you.

btdt

It still applies to me I am still in pain.