Neuromuscular symptoms: muscle tics, twitches, fasciculations, spasms, cramps, restless legs

Hopeful

Looking for reassurance that this isn’t something terrible. I QT in Sept 2019, muscle twitches started in January 2020. Now here it is May and I still have muscle twitching but it seems to be more and now it’s turning into jerks. The other night I tried to sleep and I jerked all night. Foot, arm, leg, hand, body, chin...just jerking. And now since then I’m still having the jerks! No pain, I don’t have any rigidity or anything (I hope it never comes) and I don’t notice it if I’m moving around. I don’t think it does it when I’m moving? I do have inner vibrations too. I’ve had twitching in my eyes and eyebrow too, my nose too and my tongue! Seriously this has got to be a result of the withdrawal right especially if I never had anything like this before? Has anyone had it like this before? Does it/did it go away? I’ve read the posts and people have experienced it but no one really has said if it has gone or not. I’m a little scared that this amplification has suddenly started almost 8 months off! Can someone provide some hope? I have a neurologist appointment on May 28th too. Any suggestions as to how to speak with him so he doesn’t think I’m crazy? Also any particular tests I should ask for? I was thinking eeg and mri with no dye. 

tia

Avrgejane (47 year old female)

2015 - approx. 5-6 months on cipralex due to miscarriage stress, 10 mg, tapered over about 2-3 months successfully 

2017 - Approx. 8 months on cipralex due to miscarriage stress, 10 mg, tapered over about 3 months successfully 

Beginning of July 2017 - took approx 3 Ativan sublingual .5 and about 4 oxycodone for pain from miscarriage. 

Mid July 2017 - took 1/2 prozasin 2mg (1mg) and 1/4 zoplicone 5mg (1.25mg) for about 2-3 weeks but made me feel awful so I CT. 

August 2017 - 5 days of vaginal valium 10mg after pelvic floor pain after D&C. 

August 11, 2019 - prescribed amitriptyline for nerve pain in teeth, started at 12.5mg for a week, then 25mg for a week (panic attacks), increased to 50mg for 2 weeks (panic attacks), increased to 100mg for 4 days (panic attacks) followed by an extremely quick taper - 50mg for 3 days, 25mg for 3 days, 12.5mg for 3 days, 6mg for 2 days. Have not taken amitriptyline since Sept 30th, 2019. 

Took Clonazipam intermittently (14 in 40 days average .25-50 mg) from Aug 25-Oct 8, 2019. 
Currently taking 90mg natural desiccated thyroid. 

Hi Avrgejane,

I had what you describe due to withdrawing from pills.  I can't say for sure that's what's caused yours but yes, this can happen in withdrawal.  In my case it did clear up.  I had a "mild" case where I had jerking in arms and legs, also some mouth issues, eyes, fingers and toes.  I'm sorry you are experiencing this as I know how scary it is.  As far as tests go they should know what to order.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• 1 month later...

I’ve had muscle twitching since October 2017 and continue to have it everyday since almost 2.5 years later. This really sucks and hasn’t abated at all.

March 2016: Strattera

June 2016: Nothing

October 2016-April 2017:Wellbutrin SR

Mid-March 2017-March 2017 Adderall (9 days)

April 2017: Wellbutrin and Ritalin (7 days)

Mid-April to mid-June: nothing 

early June 2017: Wellbutrin XL

mid-June 2017: Wellbutrin XL, Adderall, and Hydrochlorothiazide (blood pressure); took for two days

Late August: Allegra for two days, then Propranolol

On 6/24/2020 at 5:34 PM, Wellbutrinsucks said:

I’ve had muscle twitching since October 2017 and continue to have it everyday since almost 2.5 years later. This really sucks and hasn’t abated at all.

Have you had this ever since you started into withdrawal? Or did it occur later into your withdrawal as a new symptom? I'm going crazy with dizziness that I've had since October 2019. I've been in withdrawal since June of 2017, but this dizziness has started getting very disruptive. 

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

• Administrator

You've had some elective surgeries since then, haven't you, Hellbutrin?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2020 at 2:00 PM, Hellbutrin said:

Have you had this ever since you started into withdrawal? Or did it occur later into your withdrawal as a new symptom? I'm going crazy with dizziness that I've had since October 2019. I've been in withdrawal since June of 2017, but this dizziness has started getting very disruptive. 

I had numbness and tingling for almost two months (June-July 2017) and then all of my strange symptoms went away for about a month (August 2017) before I got unexplainably sick throughout late August-early October 2017. The twitching began in late October 2017 and is still present almost three years later.

March 2016: Strattera

June 2016: Nothing

October 2016-April 2017:Wellbutrin SR

Mid-March 2017-March 2017 Adderall (9 days)

April 2017: Wellbutrin and Ritalin (7 days)

Mid-April to mid-June: nothing 

early June 2017: Wellbutrin XL

mid-June 2017: Wellbutrin XL, Adderall, and Hydrochlorothiazide (blood pressure); took for two days

Late August: Allegra for two days, then Propranolol

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 2:41 PM, Altostrata said:

You've had some elective surgeries since then, haven't you, Hellbutrin?

I had an out patient procedure to reset my dislocated jaw that I’d been living with for three years without pain meds. 

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Occasional neuromuscular symptoms: tics, twitches, fasciculations, spasms, cramps, restless legs
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve had twitching since going off in April, but when I reinstated for a few weeks in May, the twitching temporarily went away until I quit cold turkey again, so I’m positive it has to do with withdrawal. I get it all over my body (back, shoulders, stomach, calves, thighs, arms, lips, eyes, even places I didn’t know I had muscles like the tip of my chin??) but I’ve been off Sertraline for 4.5 months and in the last 6 weeks, I’ve had a few small breaks from the twitching. I maybe get a one or two day break per week, and one week I think I had about 5 days without it. I also get this buzzing feeling that I think might be extremely rapid twitching? I rarely get muscle cramps these days, had them for about three months, but I still have muscle pain/soreness all over pretty frequently. I’ve also been in that frame of mind where i thought it was a terrible disease. I never had my muscles analyzed, but I did have an mri on my brain to rule out tumors and ms, and the results came back normal. At this point, I’m finding it hard to justify spending money on medical tests to find out what’s wrong since it’s starting to be pretty apparent, but every once in a while those intrusive thoughts creep in and I think the worst. The post from yogagirl38 about bfs really talked me off a ledge of despair when I first started reading posts on this site.

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 10:58 PM, Avrgejane said:

Looking for reassurance that this isn’t something terrible. I QT in Sept 2019, muscle twitches started in January 2020. Now here it is May and I still have muscle twitching but it seems to be more and now it’s turning into jerks. The other night I tried to sleep and I jerked all night. Foot, arm, leg, hand, body, chin...just jerking. And now since then I’m still having the jerks! No pain, I don’t have any rigidity or anything (I hope it never comes) and I don’t notice it if I’m moving around. I don’t think it does it when I’m moving? I do have inner vibrations too. I’ve had twitching in my eyes and eyebrow too, my nose too and my tongue! Seriously this has got to be a result of the withdrawal right especially if I never had anything like this before? Has anyone had it like this before? Does it/did it go away? I’ve read the posts and people have experienced it but no one really has said if it has gone or not. I’m a little scared that this amplification has suddenly started almost 8 months off! Can someone provide some hope? I have a neurologist appointment on May 28th too. Any suggestions as to how to speak with him so he doesn’t think I’m crazy? Also any particular tests I should ask for? I was thinking eeg and mri with no dye. 

tia

I'm at 8 months and am experiencing the exact same symptoms after adverse reaction from zoloft. Hopefully you are better now. I'll also have to read yoga girls post as well because it can be very annoying to have health related anxiety added to withdrawl everyday. 

2001-2019 Effexor XR 150mg Cross to Zoloft 100mg.

2003-2004 CT Effexor XR 150

09/18/2020 Zoloft 100mg CT Switch Paxil 20mg /Valium 10mg

2020 Paxil 20mg /Valium 10mg/Gabapentin 900mg.

2021 Paxil 20mg /Valium 6mg /Gabapentin 600mg.

Currently:

04/14/2022 Paxil 20mg to 15mg 25% reduction/Valium 3mg/Gabapentin 900mg/Fludrocortisone .01mg 

Paxil: Tablet/Liquid Switch 10% Monthly Drops

5/16 Paxil Liquid 7.4ml/ Valium 3mg/ Gabapentin 900mg, 6/1 Paxil Liquid 6.66ml/ Valium 3mg/ Gabapentin 900mg 6/18 "Switch back to tablets" paxil 10mg+1.66ml/Valium 3mg/Gabapentin 900mg

SupplementsFish Oil, Melatonin 1.5mg, Luracidin.

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

On 8/14/2016 at 8:05 AM, Yogagirl38 said:

Hi guys! I am saying (in my opinion) this is all caused be these medications. I have been diagnosed with blepharospasm, benign fasiculation syndrome, and hemifacial spasm. Am i better since quitting zoloft 6 weeks ago? Hell yeah. Do any of the doctors i saw want to admit zoloft caused this? NO. Do i think they don't want to admit it for liability reasons? YES.

I am basing this on the fact that i am getting better. Blepharospasm and Hemifacial Spasm does not get better on it's own without treatment and being that I am better, i think i am justified in saying the zoloft was the cause. Because why else would i get better.

I also think the neurological and neuromuscular side effects are reported as "rare" because doctors are not willing to admit that these drugs cause this. Therefore, it cannot be reported. Therefore, it is not studied, well documented, or known.

I think the whole entire healthcare industry sucks and I want no part of it.

Muscle twitching appears to be, in fact, a HUGE repercussion of the usage of these drugs.

Had developed parkinsonism on July 15th  just a few months into treatment with Zoloft. Just dropped the Zoloft and added Paxil 20mg. But may end up CT Paxil as well. I still have twitching in calf muscles and one toe that has been persistent. It might have increased since discontinuing Zoloft a week ago. I'm hoping it gets better 🤞 

2001-2019 Effexor XR 150mg Cross to Zoloft 100mg.

2003-2004 CT Effexor XR 150

09/18/2020 Zoloft 100mg CT Switch Paxil 20mg /Valium 10mg

2020 Paxil 20mg /Valium 10mg/Gabapentin 900mg.

2021 Paxil 20mg /Valium 6mg /Gabapentin 600mg.

Currently:

04/14/2022 Paxil 20mg to 15mg 25% reduction/Valium 3mg/Gabapentin 900mg/Fludrocortisone .01mg 

Paxil: Tablet/Liquid Switch 10% Monthly Drops

5/16 Paxil Liquid 7.4ml/ Valium 3mg/ Gabapentin 900mg, 6/1 Paxil Liquid 6.66ml/ Valium 3mg/ Gabapentin 900mg 6/18 "Switch back to tablets" paxil 10mg+1.66ml/Valium 3mg/Gabapentin 900mg

SupplementsFish Oil, Melatonin 1.5mg, Luracidin.

"Slow  Steady Stable" 💚

• 11 months later...

I often re-read this thread for reassurance since wide spread muscle twitching has been, and continues to be, my worst symptom since I started taking SSRIs with it worsening significantly when I stopped. I am almost 11 months on from CT Sertraline. I just wondered if there’s a reason why the thread is called ‘Occasional Neuromuscular Symptoms’ since mine, and other stories I have read, are persistent rather than occasional. Or am I just reading too much into the thread title?! It’s just always played on my mind.  

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

• 4 weeks later...

spasms and ticks generalizing to organ tissue

Hi everyone,

One of the most worrying withdrawal-effects of trying to come off quetiapine have been and are intense spasms, shocks and ticks. They used to mostly be 'just' very uncomfortable and scary, but lately it feels as if they are starting to generalize to muscle-tissue around / related to my organs, for example my diaphragm / area around my airways, making me worry at some point spasms will start to make it hard / impossible to breathe. I also worry that they might at some point generalize to my heart.

Does anyone know of anything that can / could possibly help to ameliorate these symptoms? This just feels plain dangerous.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

2007 - 2017 Seroquel XR varying between 600 mg to 0 mg

2018 til now: Quetiapine

April 2020 started tapering down from 550 mg

October 2021 down to 325

2018 - now: occasional use of oxazepam for sleep

• 2 months later...

Muscle cramps and pain

Hello, are here any people also having muscle cramps and muscle pain like me.

This is so sever, i can't sometimes type on my keyboard because my fingers are so stiff. 

The only good is that the cramps changed the muscles where the are.. 

Few month ago they where in my legs.

Now they are in my neck, chest, fingers, arms,calfs and neck. 

Before all this **** startet i was a guy making sport and working on my motorcycle. This all is impossible.. it's sometimes hard to take a shower..

Are here any people with the same symptoms? 

And what do you do against the pain? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

23.11.2020 - 06.07.2021 Duloxetin

• ChessieCat changed the title to Neuromuscular symptoms: muscle tics, twitches, fasciculations, spasms, cramps, restless legs
  • Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, jonah2001 said:

Are here any people with the same symptoms? 

And what do you do against the pain? 

Yes I've had this issue as have many others.

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 (not detox or stimulation)

Gentle stretching and movement and massage might help.  For the hands, compression gloves might help, the ones with no finger tips.  Might help to wear them at night if you get stiffness then.    Using a heated wheat bag.  Caution:  when I used a heated wheat bag at night, I noticed that instead of cooling down it would start getting warmer - possibly leading to it becoming a fire.

You might find it helpful to see a physical therapist / physiotherapist.  They will give you the correct exercises/stretches to do.  Hydrotherapy is another option.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you so much for your answer. The problem is not the pain. 

I can't sometimes walk, or work with my hands because they are shaking so much.. 

My muscles are so stiff, and when i lift something.. i can't sometimes walk for one week and my muscles are so stiff that it's sometimes hard to talk.. I'm 20 years old. Idk how i should go on or if this will get better..

Sometimes i'm not able to brush my teeth. 

23.11.2020 - 06.07.2021 Duloxetin

• Moderator Emeritus

Check out this current topic from the beginning.  I moved your post here because it is about the same/similar issue/s.

SA keeps similar information in one place so it is easier for members to find.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 year later...

The blog linked in the initial post no longer exists (I checked The Wayback Machine too - it's not archived there either). If anyone has a mirror anywhere, a link would be appreciated! :)

(I tried googling some sentences from the quoted blog to find a mirror, to no avail, but still, worth a try to ask)

I am not a doctor. My posts are not medical advice.CYP450 interactions | drug.com interactions

Red means updose.

Abilify: 34.46mg 26Apr20; 32.71mg 18May20; 31.75mg 13Jun20; 30.48mg 22Jun20; 29.56mg 28Jun20; 28.96mg 30Jul20; 28.09mg 20Aug20; 27.44mg 28Sep20; 26.80mg 20Oct20; 26.17mg 22Oct20; 25.53mg 28Oct20; 26.17mg 30Oct2026.81mg 4Nov2026.01mg 7Dec20, 26.81mg 13Dec20,  26.97mg 3Jan21,  27.29mg 25Jan21, 26.65mg 30Jan21, 26.01mg 28Feb21, 25.69mg 8Mar21, 25.85mg 10Mar21 25.53mg 18Mar21,  25.21mg 28Mar21,  25.37mg 29Mar21,  25.53mg 30Mar2125.21mg 16Apr21

Paxil: Took it from Oct2019 to 15Apr20 with max dose 40mg. Lots of uneducated ups and downs (of the dosage) during that time. Then switched to Lexapro.

Lexapro: Started with 15mg on 15Apr20. 18.54mg 28Jun20. Tapered to current dose (16.58mg) until 5Nov20

Tolperisone: Have been taking it (300mg) from Oct2019 to Sep2021. Then switched to baclofen.

Baclofen: Have been taking it (15mg) from Sep2021 till now.

Tizanidine: Have been taking it (3mg) from Apr2022 till now.

Biperiden: 2.7mg 1Jun20; 2.6mg 26May21; 2.5mg 31May21; 2.38mg 18Jun21; 2.11mg 4Jul21; 2.34mg 18Jul2021; 2.11mg 15Sep2021; 2mg 15Oct2021; 1.86mg 15Jan2022.

Acomodin: Have been taking 1 tabl. from Sep2021. Then, 2 tabl. from 7Jan2022. Contains astaxanthin which is a CYP3A4 inductor (raises blood levels of my other meds)

Supplements: chelated magnesium 600mg (+50g pumpkin seeds); vit D3 400IU when the need arises

Found the article from the first post, archived in Archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160326211715/http://willspirit.com/2011/05/27/body-armor/

(for anyone who wants to read it in its entirety) :)

I am not a doctor. My posts are not medical advice.CYP450 interactions | drug.com interactions

Red means updose.

Abilify: 34.46mg 26Apr20; 32.71mg 18May20; 31.75mg 13Jun20; 30.48mg 22Jun20; 29.56mg 28Jun20; 28.96mg 30Jul20; 28.09mg 20Aug20; 27.44mg 28Sep20; 26.80mg 20Oct20; 26.17mg 22Oct20; 25.53mg 28Oct20; 26.17mg 30Oct2026.81mg 4Nov2026.01mg 7Dec20, 26.81mg 13Dec20,  26.97mg 3Jan21,  27.29mg 25Jan21, 26.65mg 30Jan21, 26.01mg 28Feb21, 25.69mg 8Mar21, 25.85mg 10Mar21 25.53mg 18Mar21,  25.21mg 28Mar21,  25.37mg 29Mar21,  25.53mg 30Mar2125.21mg 16Apr21

Paxil: Took it from Oct2019 to 15Apr20 with max dose 40mg. Lots of uneducated ups and downs (of the dosage) during that time. Then switched to Lexapro.

Lexapro: Started with 15mg on 15Apr20. 18.54mg 28Jun20. Tapered to current dose (16.58mg) until 5Nov20

Tolperisone: Have been taking it (300mg) from Oct2019 to Sep2021. Then switched to baclofen.

Biperiden: 2.7mg 1Jun20; 2.6mg 26May21; 2.5mg 31May21; 2.38mg 18Jun21; 2.11mg 4Jul21; 2.34mg 18Jul2021; 2.11mg 15Sep2021; 2mg 15Oct2021; 1.86mg 15Jan2022.

Acomodin: Have been taking 1 tabl. from Sep2021. Then, 2 tabl. from 7Jan2022. Contains astaxanthin which is a CYP3A4 inductor (raises blood levels of my other meds)

Supplements: chelated magnesium 600mg (+50g pumpkin seeds); vit D3 400IU when the need arises

• 2 months later...

I can totally relate to the neuromuscular issues some of you have described. Movement disorders - also known in the field as "extrapyramidal symptoms" - are common side/withdrawal effects of psychotropic drugs. Mine are body-wide muscle jerks happening mostly at rest, especially when I'm about to fall asleep. They started a year ago and show little signs of abating, despite discontinuing antidepressants. Now I'm tapering quetiapine and experiencing twitches in my trunk, neck, face, limbs, so these must be antipsychotic withdrawals.

Some days are better than others, the jerking goes away and I mange to fall asleep without taking a benzo. My hope is that some day they will go away for good and my nervous system will reset.

Since early March 2022: escitalopram 10 mg + trazodone 75 mg, after a month or so switched to sertraline 50 mg + mianserin 10 mg;

Later augmented with quetiapine 75 mg for insomnia;

Cold turkeyed all antidepressants in November 2022;

Currently on:

Quetiapine: 275 mg (21/02/2023; down from 300 mg) -> 250 mg (18/03/2023) -> 225 mg (26/04/2023) -> 200 mg (19/05/2023) -> 187.5 mg (12/06/2023) -> 175 mg  (27/06/2023) -> 162.5 mg (16/07/2023) -> 150 mg (31/07/2023) -> 137.5 mg (15/08/2023) -> 125 mg (17/09/2023) -> 112.5 mg (02/10/2023) -> 100 mg (17/10/2023) -> 87.5 mg (05/11/2023) -> 81.25 mg (01/12/2023) -> 75 mg (14/12/2023) -> 68.75 mg (22/12/2023) -> 62.5 mg (28/12/2023) -> 50 mg (11/01/2024) -> 43,75 mg (06/02/2024) -> 37,5 mg (20/02/2024)

Diazepam once every week/two weeks, or less frequently

Supplements: magnesium, vit. D3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have spasms of my trunk too with belly dance movements of my abdomen.

Also when I cough, laugh or talk all my trunk, abdomen, gluteus even anal muscles engage! How could this be? Never experienced some thing like this in my entire life. It seems as if my muscles have a life of their own and just synchronise.

When I’m shacking or handle a pan or washing say fruit or vegetables using both hands or when brushing teeth my hips and buttock dance-swing too!

Very odd, it is a like a feast or dance of several muscle groups 😂☹️.

my abdomen muscles are always moving and therefore achy.

Does anybody relate to this at all?

Started 10mg escitalopram March 2016 and stopped CT Feb 2017.

Started 10mg citalopram May 2019

Swapped with mirtazapine mid June 2019 used for a week and then switched to Escitalopram 5mg at the end of July 2019, increased gradually to 10mg in September, 15mg in October and 20mg in January 2020. Tapered down to 15mg in April. 10mg in June then a week tapering to 5mg and then stopped CT. 
Resumed escitalopram in November 2020 at 5mg, increased to 10mg in February 2021, tapered down to 5mg in May 2021 and tapered down to 2.5 in the space of a week in September 2021. Resumed escitalopram at the end of December 2022 at 5mg, increased it to 10mg in March 2023 then tapered down to 5mg in June and down to 2.5mg in July. Started escitalopram 5mg beginning of December 2023 then stopped after 4 days. Took amytryptamine for 2 days then restarted escitalopram at 5mg, after two weeks increased it to 7.5mg, kept it for 1 week then 10mg for 1 week but two many side effects so went back to 5mg. Beginning of January 2023 stopped escitalopram for 1 day then 2.5mg for the next day. Developed  discontinuation symptoms reinstated it at 2.5 for 1 week and 1.5 for the following week then stopped. I’m currently experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

@Giuly88 I also have twitching of my trunk and abdomen muscle. Never had this before my immediate adverse reaction to antidepressants.

Jan 29, 2023 - Took my one and only dose of Mirtazapine (15 mg). Developed an immediate adverse reaction with list of withdrawal-like symptoms.

• 5 months later...

i need some thoughts on this:

in late october i had 2 nights where the common full body traveling muscle twitches will evolve something simialr to dystonia or tardive dyskinesia. limbs and trunk and head and kneck spasms everytime i am about to fall asleep and jolt me awake. now it's happening again, for 3 nights now. it's very hard for me to sleep for more than 5 hours due to this evolve of spasms. the muscle twitches did not improve at all and have always been 24/7, and its worsening really makes me scared, on top of disturbed sleep.

2018: abilify(ct) -> lamictal(ct) -> quetiapine(fast taper): no withdrawal syndrome. All side effects and adverse reactions disappeared as soon as I went off the meds.

2019-2021: psych med free;

2021/05 - 08: oral contraceptive for abnormal period (had very irregular period with bleeding that could last 3 weeks)

2021/11: Had shingles for a few weeks, used gabapentin & Valacyclovir. Stopped when shingles stopped. No issues.

2022- 2/11-2/27: Vraylar 1.5mg/day, 2/25-2/27: Mirtazapine(all under previous psych NP's instruction); Went to ER for akathisia on 3/6/2022 and tried propranolol with lorazepam for around 5 days but did not work. Hospitalized on 3/16/2022 due to akathisia and introduced the following: Clonidine 0.1mg/day for 2 weeks; Lorazepam 0.5mg twice/day for 1 week; benztropine 1mg twice/day for 1 week; propranolol 10mg/day for 1 week.

100mg/day vitamin B6 from 4/6-4/17.

No med since 4/14/2022.

@SlowVeil

I recommend taking magnesium glycinate/lysinate chelate. Two tablets before going to bed (or a hour earlier, to give it time to kick in). This particular form of magnesium has the property of strongly relaxing your tight/spasming muscles. If you have a magnesium deficiency, this form of magnesium will NOT correct that deficiency. However, regardless of whether you have a deficiency or not, this form of magnesium will relax your spasming muscles strongly.

Personally, my muscle problems are strongest in the morning and at noon, and therefore I take 2 tables in the morning and 2 tablets at noon, plus 1-2 additional tablets if an occasion arises where I need them.

I've tried other forms of magnesium, but they barely help me at all.

Red means updose.

@gdsequoia

Thank you for the advice. I am thinking about magnesium glycinate chelate. However last year when I was hospitalized, they did a blood test on my magnesium level and they actually found that my level is a bit above the standard range.

21 hours ago, gdsequoia said:

If you have a magnesium deficiency, this form of magnesium will NOT correct that deficiency.

you mentioned here that glycinate chelate will not correct the deficiency, but what if my last blood test shows I have a bit excess in magnesium?

2018: abilify(ct) -> lamictal(ct) -> quetiapine(fast taper): no withdrawal syndrome. All side effects and adverse reactions disappeared as soon as I went off the meds.

2019-2021: psych med free;

2021/05 - 08: oral contraceptive for abnormal period (had very irregular period with bleeding that could last 3 weeks)

2021/11: Had shingles for a few weeks, used gabapentin & Valacyclovir. Stopped when shingles stopped. No issues.

2022- 2/11-2/27: Vraylar 1.5mg/day, 2/25-2/27: Mirtazapine(all under previous psych NP's instruction); Went to ER for akathisia on 3/6/2022 and tried propranolol with lorazepam for around 5 days but did not work. Hospitalized on 3/16/2022 due to akathisia and introduced the following: Clonidine 0.1mg/day for 2 weeks; Lorazepam 0.5mg twice/day for 1 week; benztropine 1mg twice/day for 1 week; propranolol 10mg/day for 1 week.

100mg/day vitamin B6 from 4/6-4/17.

No med since 4/14/2022.

@SlowVeil

I believe your magnesium excess will NOT cause a problem with taking Mg glycinate lysinate chelate. Basically this form of magnesium doesn't get into your magnesium body "stores" at all. It gets directly utilized by your muscles.

How do I know this? Well, I've been taking a big dose (6 pills, providing 600mg magnesium) of that chelate daily for years and every time I measure my magnesium levels, they're in the normal range.

Btw you don't have to take this info on trust - just try taking the chelate for a week, then retest your blood magnesium. You'll see that it has stayed at the same level as before. :)
(do the blood test in the morning, without having taken the magnesium that day)

Red means updose.

• 4 months later...

Preface: I know people here are not doctors. I am not asking for medical advice. I will discuss any suggestions with my doctor.

However, that is also the issue: My doctors have no idea what to do. So I have to do my own footwork.

I am having nerve stings and muscle spasms, that completely prevented me from sleeping. My doctor gave me Zolpiclone. It works, but I think it works because it is a muscle relaxant and anticonvulsant, and less because it is a hypnotic. 

(I also got various stuff that makes you drowsy, and they did make me tired but didn't touch the stings and spasms).

My doctor is stumped by my nerve stings and muscle spasms. It seems to be a complete mystery to them, and not something they have experience treating.

So they referred me to a psyciatrist who also seemed stumped by it, and whose unsure advice was benzos or buspiron. It seems to "physical" a symptom for them, when though it is likely a w/d symptom.

I am waiting for a consultation with a neurologist, but it is in several months because there is a lack of ones where I live. And now I think that they will probably say that it is psychiatric...🤥

Back and forth and everyone thinking that it is not their table.

I have googled and googled, and there seems to be quite a lot of meds for neuropathic pain (SNRIs, restless legs, anti-epilepsy and even another SSRI (Duloxetine) which could help.

Does anyone have experience with anything helping for this symptom?

(I reinstated to 25 mg Citalopram. Not sure if it really helped).

- 2012-2023: 10 mg and 20 mg Citalopram.

June 2023 - Jan 2024:

- 20 - 10 - 7,5 - 5 - 2,5 - 1,25 mg (not the correct way of tapering).

1,25 mg from sometime in Dec 2023.

- Jan 14th to Jan 18th: Restarting Elvanse/Vyvanse 20 mg.

- Jan 16th: Things went sideways. Couple of days not taking Citalopram.

- Jan 22nd: Stilnoct 10 mg, then replaced 31st: Zolpiclone 7,5 mg. For nerve twitches and muscle spasms.

- Jan 27th: Reinstated Citalopram 2,5 - 5 - 10 - 20-25 mg over the course of the next three weeks. 

- Sometime in Feb: Quetiapine/Seroquel 25 mg. Didn't work for the nerve twitches at all. Stopped after 3 days.

- Sometime in Feb: 4,6875 mg Zolpiclone.

- March 8th: 3,75 mg Zolpiclone. March 14th: 3,375 mg. March 17th: 3,113 mg. March 18th: 2,868 mg. March 20th: 2,647 mg. March 21th:  2,427 mg. March 23th: 2,206 mg. March 25th: 1,985 mg. March 26th: 1,765 mg.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy