Hopeful

Tension, pain, twitches, excruciating spasms in muscles and joints

Europa

Please can anyone tell me if they have had muscle and shoulder pain as a withdrawal symptoms. IT is a painful burning and aching pain with muscle tightness also across my neck.THis keeps me away at night to the point of no sleep and then exhausted in the day only to be kept awake all night the next night.I have had this now for a month with no relief.I am currently on 3 mg of paroxatine (very long and slow withdrawl)Also I have a strange feeling g as if all my muscles in my body are moving all the time from my feet to my head.Im hoping that this will go away.

Katieb

Europa

Hi katieb

You had mentioned muscle movement all over your body quite a few months ago. Has that ceased at all for you? I have similar thing going on and was wondering where you might be with that?

katieb

Europe. ...The muscle movement is still happening all over my body.Twitching all over it comes and goes.I think I am currently in a wave.For the past week (3 weeks ) after my last drop I am experiencing dizziness not vertigo but more unbalancing feeling .Like if I move my eyes it seems to take ages for them to refocus again.its not nice and makes me extremely tired and head achy. Reading and watching TV are almost impossible as is writing this post. I Have had this before but way way back in the early part of my wd and it has surprised me this far down the line.I hope it clears soon.

How are you doing?

Europa

I totally understand the eyes refocusing.  I really struggled with that a few months ago, but seems to have gotten better.  I do get twitches as well, which is annoying but bearable for the most part.  Underneath all the surface twitching is a sustained muscular contraction that puts my body in a weird posture and does not let up.  This has been the most disturbing aspect of my recovery by far.  I'm hoping that just as the eyes refocusing having improved, that the body posture will correct itself over time.  Thanks for taking the time to update, I know how taxing it is to do anything.

So you said "last drop", does that mean you are completely off paroxetine?

katieb

Hi Europa. Oh how I wish this was my last ever drop of paroxatine but sadly no.It was the last reduction I did.I am currently on 1.45ml which is 2.9mg .I am tapering very very slowly as I feel every drop .I roughly calculate that it will be approx 5 years withdrawing from this stuff.Iam not the only one who has chosen to do it this way although it can be very tempting to try and speed things up sometimes.I wouldn't of course but it is a very long and drawn out process, but I'll get thare in the end.

I wish you a non stressful time over the Christmas period and hope you feel some relief soon.

Europa

I am sure you will be strong to see it through, however long it takes. Wish you the best and a happy holidays to you as well Katieb

NorthAlabama25

I have an issue in my left thigh, if I Stand to long it burns and feels numb, actually it always feels numb, ive had this since I  quit my meds cold turkey 5 years ago, anyone else have a problem like this??

brassmonkey

Sounds like sciatica to me.  Mine originates in the lower back (which usually doesn't hurt) and manifests as burning and numbness in my thighs.  Standing too long frequently sets it of for me.  Stretching and heating pads help a lot.

LexAnger

Numb and pain on left side head to toe started a year ago for me on the way tapering down Lexapro. I'm still on the drug.

It comes and goes most time goes with other sxs and in a day it always is worse in morning.

When did it start for you? It's horrible you are still having it after 5 yrs stopping the med. do you still have any other WD sxs? I was hoping it eventually goes away when the WD ends.

dgreen97

Hey guys,

Any tips on dealing with the increased muscle tension symptom from paxil withdrawal? Im coming down on a microtaper right now, started at 20mg and cutting down slowly by weight once a day. I came down a little too fast in the last month so I'm slowing it down a lot more now, but I dont know if its from being kind of sick with a cold or if its the paxil withdrawal but my muscle tension symptoms have increased pretty significantly in the last week. Right now Im not exactly sure where I am but probably around 13 mg or something.

KarenB

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6504-tension-pain-twitches-spasms-in-muscles-and-joints/ *topics merged

I'll eventually merge these threads. 

Personally, I use the following for some relief:  epsom salts baths, magnesium, learning to meditate, yoga-nidra, breathing exercises, guided meditation.

Edited by Petunia
updated

SkyBlue

It does sound like it's related to Paxil withdrawal. Could be a good reason to get a professional massage? 

I agree with KarenB that magnesium can be very powerful.

Traveller

Those who experienced extreme muscle tension and/or head pressure during withdrawal (I believe the two may be related), did it ever get better?  I've tried magnesium, epsom salt baths, deep tissue massage, etc.  Nothing seems to help.

Cressida

Those who experienced extreme muscle tension and/or head pressure during withdrawal (I believe the two may be related), did it ever get better? I've tried magnesium, epsom salt baths, deep tissue massage, etc. Nothing seems to help.

The only thing to make a significant difference was a dental mouth guard. WD causes bruxism, teeth/jaw clenching /grinding. This causes tension in head neck and shoulders and below. Apparently the majority of top tennis /golf players use them for this reason. Teeth/crowns are often a casualty in WD for this reason. It has made a big difference but the only cure is time

KarenB

My very tense jaw muscles got better when I learned exercises for relaxing them, and started doing them lots during the day.  Now I do them automatically when I feel tense, and I suspect that keeps the issue away.

I just googled you-tube for TMJ jaw relaxing exercises. 

Cressida

80%of bruxism occurs subconciously at night.

I also do jaw relaxing exercises , made very little difference to mine. The mouthguard did. I guess it depends on whether your symptoms are major or minor

reachingforthestars

What do you mean by muscle tension? Do you mean you have the urge to flex or tighten your muscles? I have that... first i had muscle weakness all autumn and then it changed to this weird urge to flex my muscles and it seams to move from one certain muscle group to another. It started from my stomach it was like there were butterflies in my stomach the feeling when you get when you are excited then it moved to my legs and then to my buttocks( i had to squeeze my buttocks together) then it moved to my ****** and now i have some sort of PGAD... Is this akathisia moving around my body?

Traveller

I mean everything from my nipples to the top of my scalp hurts.  Chest, upper back, neck, face, sinuses, forehead.  Like a tension headache times a thousand.  I could handle a few days of this, but this has been going on for months now with no signs of stopping.  NSAIDs do nothing.  I believe it was this muscle tension/head pressure that caused Phil Lawrence ("Numb") to go back on an SSRI, knowing full well what they do to people.  He just couldn't take the physical agony anymore.

It seems like once we've destabilized our nervous systems with these poisons, we're given a choice:  Be forever physically anxious or forever emotionally numb.

Cressida

I mean everything from my nipples to the top of my scalp hurts. Chest, upper back, neck, face, sinuses, forehead. Like a tension headache times a thousand. I could handle a few days of this, but this has been going on for months now with no signs of stopping. NSAIDs do nothing. I believe it was this muscle tension/head pressure that caused Phil Lawrence ("Numb") to go back on an SSRI, knowing full well what they do to people. He just couldn't take the physical agony anymore.

It seems like once we've destabilized our nervous systems with these poisons, we're given a choice: Be forever physically anxious or forever emotionally numb.

Get a mouthguard, go on a low histamine diet, go caffeine free and get through one day at a time. It will improve. It does get better . It is worth it. There is no guarantee of a happy outcome if you go back on the pills.

btdt

This article was taken from the blog:

http://willspirit.com/

Body Armor (May 27, 2011)

However, if tension persists, the muscle enters a state of spasm. High tissue pressure within tight muscle bands restricts capillary blood flow. With compromised circulation, a muscle’s oxygen supply gets depleted, so its cells cannot maintain proper ion balance. Calcium accumulates in the muscle fibers, and stimulates worsening contraction and spasm.

A vicious cycle occurs when spasm further increases tissue pressure, which worsens the circulatory compromise. Oxygen becomes even more depleted, more calcium accumulates, and the muscle grows ever tighter. Contracted muscle bands become self-perpetuating as a result. The affected areas no longer relax, even if neural stimuli for contraction cease.

I recently started taking a calcium/magnesium/D3 liquid (the dose calls for 2 tablespoons and I'm only taking 1 teaspoon per day) I haven't been able to tolerate a D vitamin, but this so far hasn't bothered me. I wonder if this is not a good idea after reading the above article regarding the calcium and muscle tension...muscle tension is one of my residuals.

Jan wrote something about taking supplements together being a bad idea... I can't recall where I read it but will see if I can get her to look at this... 

Toulouse

Has anyone felt tingling in their spine? Yesterday I felt a tingling near my tail bone. I sit all day for work, so figured maybe I sat wrong, but now I'm thinking it's something else. I'm not sure this is the right thread.

btdt

Take iron at least 2 hours away from calcium

Take magnesium at least 2 hours away from calcium

And, if you can -  take magnesium at least 2 hours away from iron.  

If you take calcium, also take K2 or nattokinase with it.

this is what she wrote about supplements....

I have had so many strange sensations some felt like death others just weird... one thing we need to guard against in wd is health anxiety but I have to great answer for it as I looked up everything google and still do... I had zaps in my spine like brain zaps only they did not end at my brain but it does not sound like what you have now.  

FunkyBaboon

Hey btdt, I used to get zaps that started in the centre of my chest and radiated out to my hands and feet.

I've had brain zaps too so I know what they feel like. The zaps I have had elsewhere in the body feel like the same kind of phenomenon as brain zaps and I guess they are - misfiring of the nervous system.

FunkyBaboon

I've constantly got muscle tension all over my body and I've had it for years (13 years) ever since the first time I cold turkeyed from paroxetine.

It never completely goes away but I can get it to manageable levels by doing daily yoga. If I don't do it every day it creeps right back in again. There are so many parts of my body I need to work on just to feel more normal. My neck and shoulders, intercostal muscles, pelvic floor muscles, legs, especially hamstrings.

moonstoneblue

Ever since discontinuing Prozac I've experienced really bad restless legs, and with that keeping me awake most of the time, when I do fall asleep I jolt awake (not like those falling sensations that jolt you awake ) but it's different, it feels like it comes from my chest and my legs also. It's as soon as I'm dropping off, when it happens I'm then up for a further hour. It frightens me so much I have to get up for a few minutes. It's like something breaking out of me. It's like my body just wants to twitch all over, like my whole body is alive. It's very odd. I can't explain it.

Toulouse

On top of my current wave of anxiety, I'm also getting occasional tingling sensations in my lower spine. Not sure if it's WD or if it's due to my sitting at my desk all day / posture but it is worrying me. Anyone ever get this sort of feeling?

btdt

Hey btdt, I used to get zaps that started in the centre of my chest and radiated out to my hands and feet.

I've had brain zaps too so I know what they feel like. The zaps I have had elsewhere in the body feel like the same kind of phenomenon as brain zaps and I guess they are - misfiring of the nervous system.

I had them too they would go from my head down to my feet some were so strong I felt like I was electrocuted... they can dance around all over don't get too excited they will go in time but they can come back if your sick... I still have jerks and twitches shaking of one arm and one leg at times 

btdt

Ever since discontinuing Prozac I've experienced really bad restless legs, and with that keeping me awake most of the time, when I do fall asleep I jolt awake (not like those falling sensations that jolt you awake ) but it's different, it feels like it comes from my chest and my legs also. It's as soon as I'm dropping off, when it happens I'm then up for a further hour. It frightens me so much I have to get up for a few minutes. It's like something breaking out of me. It's like my body just wants to twitch all over, like my whole body is alive. It's very odd. I can't explain it.

You did a good job as I know it exactly and I am having a recurrence of it now. I am trying to sort out why it is back as it was gone for a bit. I am wondering it is a reaction to pain meds or melatonin or a combination of those two... not sure. 

Chicago77

Ugh! My joints are killing me. I've never had joint pain until now and I'm so stiff. My elbows are cracking/popping. I feel like a box of rice krispies. I'm in my 30's so I can't really contribute this to old age. I'm starting to think Ive developed arthritis through withdrawal. Not to mention all my fibromyalgia symptoms I have. Widespread pain, chronic fatigue(I mean it literally feels like I have an elephant on my back), insomnia and brain fog. Ahhhhhhh! 

Lakelander82

I still suffer with bad muscle tension in my back, shoulders and neck. The ONLY things that work for me are a full body massage (which can be pricey) or a front crawl swim. Other forms of exercise such as Yoga, Pilates, running, biking etc do nothing for me in terms of reducing muscle tension. Heavy weights add to the tension.

It's strange because my mood will only improve once the tension is removed from the body. When my body is still riddled with tension I could practise positive thinking, mindfulness, CBT etc to the cows come home - they wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

genlady

Has anyone experienced cranial neuropathy with withdrawal?  Most of my burning/tingling is located on my head, sometimes going down my back, arms and legs.  I have had it for over five years when I first started tapering Seroquel.  I'm starting to think there is something wrong with the nerves in my brain, as I've never seen anyone else experiencing the burning sensation in their head.  It helps to know if anyone else has had this kind of Neuropathy.

Junglechicken

Currently experiencing upper body pains that migrate between centre of the chest between the ribs, under the boobs and arms, shoulders, neck and then also sides of my body.

I occasionally get the feeling that I have a stitch in my left side - small sharp pains.

Hubby reckons its tension.  Its been going on for about 5 days now.  We have been camping indoors for over 6 weeks now.  Also, I haven't had a good nights sleep in over a week.

Am I being paranoid, or is my wonderful hubby right again??

Toulouse

I've been 14 months off of Paxil now and just last week started getting muscle cramps in my legs. My calves, buttocks. Not extreme cramping, except for on the first day it started, but it's been really worrying me now that it's something really screwed up like ALS or MS. 
I coincidentally had been taking a new Magnesium Glycinate supplement that I started a week prior and have taken daily up to this point.  I had a physical only a month ago and I even had my Magnesium levels checked.  All my blood work came out excellent.   I am thinking I have thrown my electrolytes off by adding it to my system (which is likely still over-sensitized from the 14yrs of Paxil use).  I am seeing a doctor to see what he says.  I have also read anxiety can cause muscle spasms (and twitches which I also have been getting).

I had the twitching a year ago and that stopped after a month or so and only now started back up to go along with the cramping muscles.

On the plus side, I think the magnesiusm glycinate helped my insomnia a lot.  But I will have to stop taking it if turns out to be what's throwing my body off.  I am trying to contain my health anxiety and hope that this is just another passing wave of symptoms.

Junglechicken

BeatAnxiety - what was the outcome of your referral regarding your muscle pain?

I have been experiencing similar issues, its scaring me as I have had it for just over a week now, never had it before.

Thank you,

JC

IDK

Did anyone experience tongue thrust after taking antipsychotics?