SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

St. John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum)

Punarbhava

I have been taking High Potency St. Johns Wort from GNC from 1998-2017 for severe genetic depression/Anxiety with no problems except photo sensitivity in summer, so I wear strong sunscreen. I avoid wine, but not a drinker anyway. People who say st. Johns wort is only for mild depression are plain wrong. I did find that 300mg. Capsules weren't enough for me, but at least 1000 mg did work, but on a regular basis I take 1500/mg. a day. It got rid of ALL my symptoms in a week, and gave me my life back. I am the same as I was before the disease hit. I realize it doesn't work for everyone, every person's brain chemistry and genetics differ. It comes in 500mg. Capsules, a lg. bottle is around 20.00 at GNC at the stores or online. Also I feed my brain other things it needs like OMEGA 3,6,9 udos Oil, Vitamin B complex50-100 mg, zinc, selenium, probiotics, either lots of veggies or greens supplements. Unless you eat fish and seeds a lot, your brain gets no omegas. DON'T COMBINE WITH ANTIDEPRESSANTS, & check with interactions with Prescriptions as there are many. My best to anyone having to deal with any mental illness:)

Moderator note: Please read the first post in this topic. It include excerpts from several articles about St. John's Wort including this one:

"The Potential Dangers of Saint John's Wort: The Antidepressant Herb that May Not Be Right for Everyone"

Edited by scallywag
added moderator note

what is the general consensus on SJW ,out here . Alto whats your take ? Iv read some rave reviews about SJW on BB . A lot of people claim it cured anhedonia for them .Im a little tempted to take SJW and tyrosine to cure my anhedonia

Please read through this entire thread, it contains all that information.  Basically we do not recommend taking SJW.  It is technically just another SSRI with all the associated problems, side effects and WD problems. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

MOD NOTE:  See:  sunlight-sensitivity-and-heat-intolerance-and-exercise-intolerance

Just wanted to let anyone who's considering or currently taking SJW to be careful while out in the hot summer sun. I was on vacation this week, lathered up with sunscreen (though likely washed off in the ocean while I was swimming but I reapplied as needed) and still got very bad sunburn unlike I've ever had before and almost went to urgent care because I felt so ill (chills, headache). Fortunately the burn improved in a couple days and I was able to enjoy the last few days of vacation after saying indooors for some time and avoiding the sun until later in the afternoon AND stopping the SJW until I got back.

Just FYI so you don't make the same mistake!!

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

June-Current Started Pristiq 50mg 

March-June Discontinued Wellbutrin. 

February 15-March 1 2017: Taper Wellbutrin. 

December 24, 2016- Feb. 15 2017: Switched to Wellbutrin 150mg 2x/day after Genesight testing; 

August 4-December 23, 2016: Reinstate celexa

March 18-August 3, 2016: Switched to Prozac 

Feb-March 2016   Reinstate celexa

Jan-Feb 2016  Tapered 5mg/every week to 0mg

August 2015-Jan. 2016: Celexa 30mg

2008-2016: Celexa 30-40mg/day for anxiety

2006-2007: Strattera ?80mg/day + xanax

• 3 months later...

To anyone considering SJW to help with w/d -- I've experimented with taking it for a month after being two years off Effexor and am now suffering symptoms more severe than ever. Insomnia, akathisia, anxiety and panic attacks worse than they've ever been. Too bad I didn't read through this thread before I tried it. It is indeed just another antidepressant. 

2008 Cipralex

2009-2012 150mg Effexor

2013 60mg Cymbalta

MID 2013-2015 75mg Effexor

LATE 2017 1 MONTH SJW

Please read this topic from the beginning it will tell you everything you need to know.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

People who have had their serotinin receptors "fiddled" (drugged, altered, sensitized) are more likely to have reactions to this drug.  

People who have been on serotinin drugs can have reactions to St. John's Wort, and there have been some fairly strong reactions.  Some after just one dose.

Others have gotten "hooked" on them - just like Prozac - and had to taper them

Just because it's a plant, doesn't mean it's 

1.  Safe for you

2.  Right for you

Additionally, those doses are very high.

For studies (usually sponsored by vested interests) the doses are high enough to get a reaction.  In herbal medicine, you want support and gentle response.

They are potent, like drugs - but the drugs are too strong, too.  

When I look at plant medicine, I like to look at "would I eat this as food?"  Would I eat this in one day?

IMG_3792-300x199.jpg

Every day?  I don't think so. 

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 5 months later...

Hello i don't know if this the right place for this post, if it not ok please delete this post or move it in right threat.

So i was researching St. John Wort, because i wanted to try it, but read this post: 

and then found this topic on bb.com:

this is the list (I do not know if the information is reliable):

Genus-Species Pseudonym(s) Active MAOI Constituent(s) Primary MAO Inhibition
-----------------------------------------------------
Banisteriopsis Caapi Ayahausca, Caapi, Yage Harmala Alkaloids MAO-A
Curcuma Longa Turmeric Curcumin MAO-A
Glycyrrhiza Glabra Licorice / Liquorice Liquiritigenin, Isoliquiritigenin MAO-A/MAO-B
Nicotiana Spp. Tobacco Harmala Alkaloids MAO-A
Passiflora Incarnata Passion Flower Harmala Alkaloids MAO-A
Peganum Harmala Harmal, Syrian Rue Harmala Alkaloids MAO-A
Rhodiola Rosea Golden Root Rosavin, Rosiridin MAO-A/MAO-B
Tribulus Terrestris Puncturevine Harmala Alkaloids MAO-A/MAO-B
-----------------------------------------------------------
Camellia Sinensis Green Tea, Black Tea, White Tea, Oolong Tea Catechin, Epicatechin MAO-B
Coffea Spp. Coffee Harmala Alkaloids ?
Cordyceps Sinensis Caterpillar Fungus ? MAO-B
Fallopia Japonica Japanese Knotweed Emodin MAO-B
Geijera Parviflora Australian Willow ? MAO-B
Olea Europaea Olive Oil Hydroxytyrosol MAO-B
Paeonia Suffruticosa Cortex Moutan, Mudanpi, Peony Paeonol MAO-A/MAO-B
Piper Methysticum Kava Kava Desmethoxyyangonin, Methysticin MAO-B
Piper Longum Long Pepper Piperine MAO-B
Piper Nigrum Black Pepper Piperine MAO-B
Polygonum Multiflorum Fo-Ti Emodin MAO-B
Rheum Emodi Rhuharb Emodin MAO-B
Uncaria Tomentosa Cat's Claw Catechin, Epicatechin MAO-B

And this is very interesting (this is reply in the original threat):

"What exactly are you worried about here? I doubt you're consuming the necessary amount of any of those compounds listed above to create a concentrated, pharmaceutical grade MAOI medication response. If you're that worried, don't eat foods high in Tyramine, i.e cheese and wine. The liver has an enzyme, MAO, that helps in digestion of Tyramine, that it increases release of norepinephrine. If you inhibit MAO, you block the mechanism to prevent tyramine digestion, therefore flooding your system with norepinephrine, causing hypertension."

This is link to original: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115427471

So there are many foods and herbs that are MAOI's.

Info:

MAO stands for monoamine oxidase. It's an enzyme that breaks down certain neurotransmitters in the brain like dopamine, serotonin, and dimethyltryptamine. All of which are crucial to brain function in various ways. 

There are actually 2 types of MAO in the body, and although similar, have different preferences for the monoamines they break down (deaminate). MAO-A, and MAO-B. 

Inhibiting this enzyme slow the breakdown of neurotransmitters, allowing their numbers to increase.

9 Years of Deanxit use 1 pill (10mg) a day.

17.01.2018 stopped cold turkey.

Current: 20/20 pulset (pantoprazole), 1 motilium (domperidon)

Rocky Balboa: Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi megamind,

If there is an existing topic we ask that you post in the existing topic.  Please read the whole topic right here(above).

Also, as a new user we do ask that you start an introduction/journal page for yourself as well. 

Personally I think if you were a psychoactive medication "virgin" it might possibly be helpful(the experiences and reports vary) but certainly if in W/D........as some of the above posts indicate, it can be trouble.

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
spacing, spelling, elaboration

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone aware of any dose equivalence between St John's Wort and SSRIs? (You know, approx 98.5mg of sertraline is equivalent to 18mg of something else or 175 of another drug.) Is anyone aware of any comparative information?

I'm finding lots of stuff on general comparisons but not on doses.

Cheers

B

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

I found this, table 1 has some good comparison information and in the conclusion they state that 900mgai would be the"effective dose" by combining that and bouncing it against DrMussys equivalency chart you should come up with something close.

https://www.aafp.org/afp/2005/1201/p2249.html

Thanks BrassMonkey. I'll do some reading and math.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

• 4 months later...

MOD NOTE:  Please see this post by Alto regarding St Johns Wort.

"An alternate approach is to substitute St John’s Wort or an antihistamine for the SSRI, as these both have serotonin reuptake inhibiting properties.  If a dose of 3 tablets of St John’s Wort is tolerated instead of the SSRI, this can then be reduced slowly - by one pill per fortnight or even per month or by halving tablets."

What do other members think of this idea? Has anyone tried it?

What about the imipramine switch Healy also suggests? 

It can be read here on bottom of page  labelled "How to Withdraw"

http://www.thepillthatsteals.com/useful-information/

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

• Administrator

As far as I know, St. John's Wort has been unhelpful as an aid to tapering. The only people here who have taken it have had problems with it.

Please note that St. John's Wort is an MAOI inhibitor and may cause unpleasant reactions to some foods.

Also see

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 months later...

I am trying the switch mentioned and it seems to be helping do far- it is early days yet though. 

http://www.citap.org.uk/SSRI-Protocol.pdf

I am finding SJW better than the low dose prozac so far as less side effects. Being careful to avoid the 

foods and other meds.

My GP is supportive, I found this balanced guide from Mind UK useful also.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/drugs-and-treatments/st-johns-wort/#.XF1bFTKcbR0

as well as this Cochrane meta study

https://www.cochrane.org/CD000448/DEPRESSN_st.-johns-wort-for-treating-depression.

In particular I found this line reassuring- "Side effects of St. John's wort extracts are usually minor and uncommon. However, the effects of other drugs might be significantly compromised."

Fluoxetine 20mg a day, (mornings) Amitryptilline 10-50mg (evenings) for last two years (usually lowest dose of the latter) Previously on and off Fluoxetine since 1999. Off completely for pregnancies in 200s with no problems but recently more difficult to withdraw.End 2018 Tapered to 10mg Fluoxetine (am) and 10mg Amitryptilline (evening)Co-codomol 30/500 prescribed (one to two tabs 6 hrly as required for pain)

Start Jan 2019 5mg Fluoxetine mornings. Stopped amitryptilline.

6th Feb 2019 Stopped Fluoxetine, 2 X 425mg St Johns Wort daily. 

9th Feb 2019 Reinstated 5mg Prozac, stopped SJW due to headaches and upset tummy.

10th Feb 2019 Started using liquid diluted Prozac and syringe, dividing doses (2 X 2.5ml) = 5mg daily

12th Feb 2019 Stopped prozac after even small doses seem to be causing a bad reaction.

17th Feb 2019 Started taking single dose 425mg SJW mornings 

Also taking supplements: Multivitamin, Longvida Curcumin 500mg a day, Magnesium Citrate 500mg/day, Magnesium L-threonate 50mg/day, Omega 3 (with Vit E) 1000mg/day, Vitamin D3 20000IU

Update to my post above- I have stopped the SJW due to it causing headaches and tummy upset, I was trying quite a large dose though.

Fluoxetine 20mg a day, (mornings) Amitryptilline 10-50mg (evenings) for last two years (usually lowest dose of the latter) Previously on and off Fluoxetine since 1999. Off completely for pregnancies in 200s with no problems but recently more difficult to withdraw.End 2018 Tapered to 10mg Fluoxetine (am) and 10mg Amitryptilline (evening)Co-codomol 30/500 prescribed (one to two tabs 6 hrly as required for pain)

9th Feb 2019 Reinstated 5mg Prozac, stopped SJW due to headaches and upset tummy.

10th Feb 2019 Started using liquid diluted Prozac and syringe, dividing doses (2 X 2.5ml) = 5mg daily

12th Feb 2019 Stopped prozac after even small doses seem to be causing a bad reaction.

Also taking supplements: Multivitamin, Longvida Curcumin 500mg a day, Magnesium Citrate 500mg/day, Magnesium L-threonate 50mg/day, Omega 3 (with Vit E) 1000mg/day, Vitamin D3 20000IU

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link from the Psychopharmacology Institute about risks and benefits of taking St. John’s Wort:https://psychopharmacologyinstitute.com/depression/st-johns-wort-for-depression-a-clinical-summary/

March 2016: Strattera

June 2016: Nothing

October 2016-April 2017:Wellbutrin SR

Mid-March 2017-March 2017 Adderall (9 days)

April 2017: Wellbutrin and Ritalin (7 days)

Mid-April to mid-June: nothing 

early June 2017: Wellbutrin XL

mid-June 2017: Wellbutrin XL, Adderall, and Hydrochlorothiazide (blood pressure); took for two days

Late August: Allegra for two days, then Propranolol

I started re-taking it at the dose on the packet and finding the side effects Ok now. Seems to be helping a little.

I understand it is given on prescription in Germany, however is banned in France. Interesting that is seems to be seen differently in

the different countries. We can't get it on prescription here in the UK. 

• 1 year later...

St. John’s Wort is it effective?

Hi, I have been working with a holistic psychiatrist and I’m frustrated because I have been experiencing anxiety and some depression after being off of Sertraline for 62 days. She has suggested that I try St. John Wort. I did not see much information on this site about it. I am wondering if it would be beneficial?  I’m a little hesitate to try because it seems like I don’t do well with herbals. She told me because I have had anxiety since I was a child that I might not have the amino acid building blocks to make Serotonin.  Anybody know anything about this?  I’m kind of sick of getting supplements pushed at me. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

15 mg Mirtazapine 2000-2020

50 mg Tramadol twice daily 2009-2020

50 mg Sertraline 2019-2020

taper completed August 8th

supplements: Brainchild liquid vitamin and minerals, fish oil, liposomal glutathione, liposomal vitamin C

meditation twice daily

energy medicine techniques including EFT , and Logosynthesis 

Read this topic from the beginning, it contains all the information required to make a decision regarding JSW.

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, Jlee said:

The following is from the topic

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet ...

SAM-E and other supplements that act on serotonin, including St. John's Wort, are not recommended for people with withdrawal syndrome. They tend to be stimulating in a way that most of us really do not need.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

On 10/10/2020 at 3:25 PM, Jlee said:

Hi, I have been working with a holistic psychiatrist and I’m frustrated because I have been experiencing anxiety and some depression after being off of Sertraline for 62 days. She has suggested that I try St. John Wort. I did not see much information on this site about it. I am wondering if it would be beneficial?  I’m a little hesitate to try because it seems like I don’t do well with herbals. She told me because I have had anxiety since I was a child that I might not have the amino acid building blocks to make Serotonin.  Anybody know anything about this?  I’m kind of sick of getting supplements pushed at me. 

who said you don't the building blocks for creating serotonin? that sounds like a pseudo-scientific view only pushed on you to reinforce their credibility.  if there isn't a test for that, or a scan that can reveal without a doubt how that is true, its not worth even considering, and in fact could be dangerous, sounds similar to that the type of nonsense psychiatrist push on people. most people have anxiety as children and adults, that's part of the human condition haha. the pain that will come from experimenting with so called "natural herbs" might create long term damage, similar to SSRIs . i trust victims more then i trust "professionals" at this point....

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/11/2020 at 9:25 AM, Jlee said:

My response to member in their intro topic:

On 10/11/2020 at 9:45 AM, ChessieCat said:

Instead of introducing a new "drug", St John's Wort, it would probably be better to try a reinstatement of a small amount of the drug which is causing your withdrawal symptoms.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

17 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Read this topic from the beginning, it contains all the information required to make a decision regarding JSW.

I really think the answer is for me to reinstate Sertraline but I’m so scared to.  But I just cannot take these night terrors. I’m afraid I waited to long. I’ve been off for 64 days and I know I tapered way to fast. 
I am feeling so lost and hopeless. My regular Dr. tells me Sertraline is an absolute safe drug to be on long term. My holistic psychiatrist tells me my body doesn’t use amino acids to build serotonin.  And I’m at a complete loss. 

15 mg Mirtazapine 2000-2020

50 mg Tramadol twice daily 2009-2020

50 mg Sertraline 2019-2020

taper completed August 8th

supplements: Brainchild liquid vitamin and minerals, fish oil, liposomal glutathione, liposomal vitamin C

meditation twice daily

energy medicine techniques including EFT , and Logosynthesis 

You need new doctors.

MMT is giving you good advise on reinstatement over on your intro thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried St. John's Wort several months after stopping Lexapro when my mood took a turn for the worse in the COVID-19 environment.  I tried a small dose of this with no ill effects and and eventually moved to a month-long course of 900 mg (300mg 3x/day).

I found it effective for mood, though it was energizing, almost like a light stimulant.  This effect was strong enough that I had trouble sleeping at night.  It also caused photosensitivity, an effect that was so strong that I almost had "night vision."  That part was pretty cool, though it made it hard to sleep.

The mood-boosting effect was subtle, but it was far, far better than Lexapro in terms of side effects.  In fact, the insomnia/light sleep was essentially the only side effect I experienced.  I experienced no ill effects from stopping St. John's Wort.  I am very glad I did not reinstate Lexapro.

Keep in mind that St. John's Wort is likely UNSAFE to take alongside an "antidepressant" medication.  It: (1) increases the concentration of serotonin and other monoamine neurotransmitters in your brain; and (2) interacts with many different substances by inducing (speeding up) a liver enzyme - CYP 3A4.  (It may also have effects on others.)  This means that it may cause your body to process your antidepressant faster or differently than it otherwise would, which can effectively change your dose.  Obviously, this can be extraordinarily dangerous in withdrawal.

This is not medical advice.  Discuss every substance you take with a qualified medical professional.

Previously - Escitalopram ("Lexapro"): 03 - 05/2018 - 10mg // 05/2018 - 12/2019 - monthly hyperbolic dose reduction to 0.

I am not a medical doctor.  Always consult a qualified medical professional before taking any substance.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy