Damien8: Tapering off 50mg of Seroquel

Damien8

Hey guys,

This is my first post.

I had a lot of stressful events come my way at the beginning of the year, and it started to affect my sleep. My doctor put me on Zopiclone (Lunesta) and I used that for 4 months nightly. I started at 2.5mg, and ended up at 7.5mg. 

I started to get terrible tolerance WD, and so I went to see a pdoc, and was switched over to 50mg of Seroquel.

I was so afraid of the potential WD effects of the Zopiclone (being that it is essentially a benzo) that I just took the Seroquel. I've been taking it now for exactly one month to the day!

I really don't want to rely on meds, and I want to get off. My worry is that I am not going to be able to sleep.

In the past, when I get anxious about things (like plans the next day), I sometimes can't fall asleep. The good thing is, I would get a great night sleep the next night.

I also have OCD, so it's been hard not to obsess about the fact I'm taking meds for sleep, and I'm terrified to not be able to sleep.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Damien, welcome to SA. I moved your post to introductions because it is specifically about your 

experience. This will be your thread to update whenever you like. You can ask questions about your 

taper here but feel free to ask general questions in the other topics.  

Does the seroquel help you to sleep?  If you had only taken seroquel then you could have tapered 

a bit faster but as it replaced zopiclone you will do well to taper very slowly. If you 'sneak' it away from

your brain over a long period of time you will do better than tapering fast and risking withdrawal symptoms. 

Here is a link to tapering seroquel (quitiapen)http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1707-tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine/?hl=seroquel

In your situation I would go for a very slow taper,  as explained by our Rhi here. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2364-the-slowness-of-slow-tapers/?view=findpost&p=29521&hl=seroquel

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks for the reply.

I have been struggling with the reality of being on meds for 5 months for sleep.

I'm so glad to be done with the Zopiclone, but now I'm obsessed with getting rid of the Seroquel.

I take 50mg at night, and I do sleep. But lately I've been noticing I get up multiple times throughout the night. I'm also very gassy throughout the day, and my bladder seems to really fill up during the night.

I also sometimes get hot flashes (burning/sweating) in the middle of the night.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has experienced any of these issues while on Seroquel: Waking up multiple times at night, diarrhea in the morning after getting up, and hot flushes at night (heating up and sweating).

I've been on 50mg for a month after quitting Zopiclone (Lunesta) cold turkey after using it for 4 months.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry that you are going through this Damien, it is an awful situation to be in but you are not alone.

I suspect that you are having some withdrawal symptoms from the zopiclone but I don't know very much about

benzo withdrawal.  Someone with more knowledge will be along who will be able to tell you if it is most likely

withdrawal or side effects of seroquel. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

A month out from a CT off zoplicone you could be having some WD from that. Seroquel isn't going to replace a z-drug, although it might help suppress some of the WD symptoms. 

I would keep a daily journal of your symptoms and med use, ranking your symptoms on a scale of 1 to 5.

I would read through the topics linked above for information about tapering Seroquel. Personally I'd wait another month or so just to make sure I was stable from quitting the zoplicone, but it's up to you.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I'm not sure if it's the Seroquel or the Zopiclone WD, but I wake up multiple times in the night. I also get hot flushes and wake up sweaty from time to time. Every morning is also diarrhea.

I just want off these meds. I have ready that insomnia can be terrible after quitting Seroquel. Is there any truth to this?

I also thought it would be easier to get of something like Seroquel, than a z-drug or benzo?

Hi Damien8,

I have never taken Seroquel.  Have you done a google search to see if these are side effects or if anyone has experienced a similar situation?  I wouldn't be surprised if what you described is related to the med.

Where you put on it for sleep?

I am sorry you are suffering like this.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Rhi, I think you are probably experiencing some withdrawal from the zoplicone.  Do wait until you symptoms have settled down before beginning your seroquel taper.  If you are patient and taper the seroquel slowly and carefully via the 10% method, then it shouldn't cause insomnia.

If you are finding that you wake up during the night to use the bathroom, maybe you could limit your liquids in the evening.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

You have some great advice from the experts about withdrawal

Have you had any therapy or learnt relaxation techniques such as abdominal breathing.

These will help you deal with the under lying anxiety about not sleeping.

Not sleeping never killed anybody, honestly.

Seroxat 1994 then Citalopram 2000- 2014 quit Citalopram CT and descended into Hell with PAWS pollydrugged on following Mirtazapine 30 mgs Seroquel 150 mgs 

Ativan 2 mgs June 2015 switched from Ativan to 20 mgs Valium Tapered-down slowly.

As of 15th March 17, I am benzo free. took 20 months to taper 20mgs Valium.

Seroquel tapered off 125mgs from 19 Sept 17 to 26 Dec. 17

current med 30mgs Mirtazapine

I've had hot flushes the last 3 nights.

It happens in the middle of the night and it's tough to get back to sleep.

It's also taking me much longer to fall asleep with the Seroquel.

• Administrator

Welcome, Damien.

When you went off zopliclone, what was your symptom pattern? When do you take the Seroquel?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

See adverse effects of Seroquel according to the FDA here http://www.drugs.com/pro/seroquel.html

Body as a Whole: Frequent: flu syndrome; Infrequent: neck pain, pelvic pain2 suicide attempt, malaise, photosensitivity reaction, chills, face edema, moniliasis; Rare: abdomen enlarged.

Digestive System: Frequent: anorexia; Infrequent: increased salivation, increased appetite, gamma glutamyl transpeptidase increased, gingivitis, dysphagia, flatulence, gastroenteritis, gastritis, hemorrhoids, stomatitis, thirst, tooth caries, fecal incontinence, gastroesophageal reflux, gum hemorrhage, mouth ulceration, rectal hemorrhage, tongue edema; Rare: glossitis, hematemesis, intestinal obstruction, melena, pancreatitis.

Your doctor should also check your liver enzymes and electrolytes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I started the Zopiclone in January at 2.5mg nightly. In February, I went up to 5mg, and in March I went up to 7.5mg after going to the hospital because I was worried I could not sleep without the drugs (which I now realize is how it works).

In April, I started to feel really anxious about being on the sleeping pill so long. I also started to get depressed, and have thoughts of suicide and not being able to live feeling like this.

On May 4, I went to see a psychiatrist, and was taken off Zopiclone CT, and put on 50mg of Seroquel, with a script for Clonazepam if needed. I've taken two halves (0.25mg) of Clonazepam in the entire month of May.

The Seroquel was very effective at putting me to sleep initially. The more I use it, the more I seem to wake up throughout the night, and I also have noticed that at times, I wake up with sweats (mild burning sensation in my upper body).

Not sure if the awakenings or sweats are from the Seroquel or the potential Zopiclone WD.

My doctor wants me to stay on Seroquel, but I want to get off all meds. I just have a lot of anxiety around rebound insomnia and withdrawal.

I had never taken any meds prior to January, and I am 36 years old. I have always had some anxiety, and have been diagnosed with OCD, which doesn't make the ruminating about lack of sleep any easier.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Administrator

I merged your topics to keep discussion in one place.

Since your symptoms seem to be getting worse, my guess is Seroquel is involved. Reduction might help. Please read the topic mammaP gave you.

There is no guarantee this will help your sleep.

Unless you want to become a science experiment with the psychiatrists throwing more and more drugs at you, you will need to work on managing your anxiety and ruminations without drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has experienced any of these issues while on Seroquel: Waking up multiple times at night, diarrhea in the morning after getting up, and hot flushes at night (heating up and sweating).

I've been on 50mg for a month after quitting Zopiclone (Lunesta) cold turkey after using it for 4 months.

I don't know much about Seroquel but those would be pretty normal symptoms for cold turkey off a Z drug.  Seroquel isn't chemically anything like the Z drugs as far as I know, so it's not going to prevent withdrawal symptoms. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

The sweating suggests a Seroquel reaction. If Damien is taking Seroquel in the evening before going to bed, could be it's hitting his system hard as it's absorbed during the night.

Hey guys,

Hi

I tapered valium over a long period of time and hot flushes, night sweats and diarrhoea in the morning, which I put down to benzo withdrawal symptoms.

These symptoms would not go, no matter how slow I tapered valium and then, some kind lady on a benzo forum asked me if I could be menopausal.

As I was only 43 when these symptoms started, I said no, I believed I was a decade too young for menopause, but it turns out I was, after a blood test from the doctors.

Is there any chance you could be menopausal?

This would explain the flushes and possibly the diarrhoea, as our digestive tracts can get a bit sensitive in meno and some women get IBS.

pregan taper 600mg down to 240mg, daily cuts since xmas

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

I started the Zopiclone in January at 2.5mg nightly. In February, I went up to 5mg, and in March I went up to 7.5mg after going to the hospital because I was worried I could not sleep without the drugs (which I now realize is how it works).

In April, I started to feel really anxious about being on the sleeping pill so long. I also started to get depressed, and have thoughts of suicide and not being able to live feeling like this.

On May 4, I went to see a psychiatrist, and was taken off Zopiclone CT, and put on 50mg of Seroquel, with a script for Clonazepam if needed. I've taken two halves (0.25mg) of Clonazepam in the entire month of May.

The Seroquel was very effective at putting me to sleep initially. The more I use it, the more I seem to wake up throughout the night, and I also have noticed that at times, I wake up with sweats (mild burning sensation in my upper body).

Not sure if the awakenings or sweats are from the Seroquel or the potential Zopiclone WD.

My doctor wants me to stay on Seroquel, but I want to get off all meds. I just have a lot of anxiety around rebound insomnia and withdrawal.

I had never taken any meds prior to January, and I am 36 years old. I have always had some anxiety, and have been diagnosed with OCD, which doesn't make the ruminating about lack of sleep any easier.

Any help would be appreciated.

36mg is a young age for menopause, but it's possible as many women get it younger than the average age of 51.

I am pressing menopause because you say the heat is all in the upper part of your body, which is typical of menopause.

valium, just over 75mg, tapering 0.1 a day, will keep this more udated, cos amounts going down

i have borderline personality, chronic ptsd, and suspected adhd and substance misuse as a symptom, which i am addressing with help of medical staff, drugs agencies & mh sta

I'm male :)

woops - sorry.

:wub:

• Administrator

The way to determine whether it's an adverse reaction to Seroquel or the Z drug withdrawal would be to slightly reduce Seroquel (no more than 10%) for at least 4 days and see if that affects the symptoms.

If the symptoms lessen, it's the Seroquel.

25mg Seroquel is the amount usually prescribed for sleep (a very bad idea, by the way, because of Seroquel side effects).

• 3 months later...

I'm a bit confused re seroquel. I read about receptors and stuff earlier in this thread but I did not understand what I was reading.

I am on 12.5mg and it doesnt feel as if it's doing anything.

My promethazine is working much better with less side effects.

Please could someone clarify for me, what receptors my quetiapine is working on at 12.5mg? Is it just an antihistamine, and if so, is prometh doing the same job, (prescribed for anxiety)

thank

I'm a bit confused re seroquel. I read about receptors and stuff earlier in this thread but I did not understand what I was reading.

I am on 12.5mg and it doesnt feel as if it's doing anything.

My promethazine is working much better with less side effects.

Please could someone clarify for me, what receptors my quetiapine is working on at 12.5mg? Is it just an antihistamine, and if so, is prometh doing the same job, (prescribed for anxiety)

thank

Hi primrose at that dose it's just an antihistamine at 150/200mg it becomes an anti pyshcotic

At low doses it's often prescribed for sleep,I was on it for a while it gave me terrible nausea and migranes

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

• Administrator

I wouldn't say low-dose Seroquel is just an antihistamine. It still has a lot of other undesirable side effects.

I wouldn't say low-dose Seroquel is just an antihistamine. It still has a lot of other undesirable side effects.

Hi Alto,

Is it still an antidepressant at 12.5mg?

thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Is it still an antidepressant at 12.5mg?

thanks

Seroquel is classed as an antipsychotic, not an antidepressant, although its sometimes prescribed along side an antidepressant.

See:  http://www.drugs.com/seroquel.html

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Seroquel is in no way an antidepressant.