☼ Zang909 Almost 20 Years Medicated. Time to stop.

Zang909

Thanks for the kind words, ang!

I have a teenager at home and he has been causing so much stress and conflict. I was thinking the other day about how all the conflict will die down once he gets a better handle on his emotions. I was thinking that he just needs to learn to deal with all these emotions which are new to him and overpowering.

And then I thought: I'm going through kind of a similar thing. After all these years of the meds numbing my anxiety and other issues, I'm really only dealing with them for the first time now without a filter. So, they're kind of overwhelming and I'm having to learn to cope with them and learn strategies for how to deal with these feelings constructively.

If this is a good analogy, perhaps it will help me to be kinder and more patient with myself and less likely to just view my feelings as being signs of sickness and brokenness.

Hi Zang,

I go to a University Behavioral Health Center, where they see kids, teens, and adults alike in both group therapy and individual therapy. They are big on Dialectical behavioral therapy which whose underlying approach is Mindfulness. But also DBT is all about learning skills that teach one how to regulate emotions and improving interpersonal relationships. This is an excellent DBT channel, it presents DBT in a much more informative way than it has ever been presented to me in group therapy. https://www.youtube.com/user/dbtworks/videos

Perhaps learning and practicing Mindfulness together with your son, would be a way to not just bond but to also have a way to handle turbulent emotions. I've been going to group therapy for 2 years, and the Mindfulness is the one skill that people site as being most helpful in learning how to regulate emotions.

This has a mindfulness meditation in it, but is specific to withdrawal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CffPR-Xp7mw

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zang909

• Altostrata

• Rhiannon

• Lilu

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Lilu.

I'll look into DBT. Right now my focus is on just finding a decent person to talk to who is close to where I work. If it's not close to work, then it will take too much trouble to get to, which will increase my anxiety, and so I won't go.

I'm also hoping to find a female care provider. Is it just me, or do men seem to be more prone to the "god complex" that some health care providers can get? Also, I'm not exactly a stereotypical male and I find that many men can't empathize with my sensitivity, seeing it instead as weakness. I definitely don't need that undercurrent going on during counseling.

Circa 1995 put on Paxil; Tried various meds over the years in an effort to get away from Paxil's side effects

06/29/13 Switched from 30mg Paxil to 10mg Lexapro

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

02/27/15 300mg Neurontin twice daily, .25mg to .50mg Xanax as needed

May 2015: 600mg Neurontin twice daily, .25mg to .50mg Xanax as needed

08/05/15: 600mg Neurontin twice daily, 30mg Paxil daily, .25mg to .50mg Xanax as needed

((((Zang))). How you feeling today? Revved up emotions leads to revved up anxiety leads to revved up symptoms leads to revved up exhaustion leads to revved up despair. Ugh! Wouldn't it be great if we could nip the first one in the bud, then we wouldn't have to deal with the rest of them?

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

My stepson made some kind of attempt at suicide yesterday.

And here's the most damning thing I've probably ever said about myself: All I could feel was anger. No compassion. No sympathy. Just anger.

To clarify: he did something that couldn't possibly kill him. But it's obvious that he's feeling pain and confusion. And I could not do anything for him but be angry.

Circa 1995 put on Paxil; Tried various meds over the years in an effort to get away from Paxil's side effects

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

08/05/15: 600mg Neurontin twice daily, 30mg Paxil daily, .25mg to .50mg Xanax as needed

((((Zang))) I'm so sorry for your son and you. Despair is crippling. I pray that you and your son hold onto each other and prop each other up during these tough times.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Anger is still an expression of love. Granted, it's not always the most helpful emotion, but it still comes from a place of caring what happens to someone you love.

Nope. It's just that all I had for him was anger and resentment.

And my wife saw it. I don't know whether she'll be able to forgive me.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

I feel pretty bad. My wife is strung out over going through all she's been going through with the boy.

And without her I have no one. I have no friends. I have no where to go when I feel like hiding under the bed or in the closet.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

I can't do this with the teenager added into the situation. I can't live like this.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

Seriously thinking of going back on meds. I can't do this with my stepson in the equation. My home feels like such a hostile environment with him in it. I'm a raw nerve and he's an obnoxious, rebellious teenager with severe ADHD. It's driving me crazy.

He's emotionally volatile and loud and obnoxious and petulant and I can't be a father to him while I'm in this condition. And my wife is left to deal with him by herself.

I stayed home with my daughters while my wife took him to the emergency room last night. I was able to take care of them. But my wife is understandably upset because the evening was so distressing and frightening to her and I was not there for her at all. She was exhausted and left to deal with it all alone.

I'm failing my wife by being unable to be there for her to help her with him. And I'm failing him by being so thin-skinned that I have to avoid even talking to him or even hearing the grating, obnoxious sound of his voice. And if I go back on meds I'm failing myself and all of you.

I don't have what it takes to tough this out. I can't create a perfect bubble of zen around me for years while I wait and see whether I'll ever get better.

I know I'll feel better in a couple of days if the rest of my life will just go perfectly smoothly. But I can't live like this. And my wife can't live like this. I need to be able to be present. I need to be able to be a husband and a father again. I can't convalesce indefinitely, while the world waits to see if I'll ever return. 

I'm sorry; I know this is heresy.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

Zang,

The desire to go back on meds to deal with this impossible situation is not heresy. There is no such thing as that here. It is just us people in pain, doing what we have to to cope.

I understand the feelings you are describing. Everyone is welcome here, no matter what their circumstances. Life is pretty hard sometimes. Let us know how you are doing, ok?

PS. I had a friend once, had a lot of 'mental' problems. She was always threatening something. One day I had enough, told her to go away. Shortly afterwards, I saw the emergency people taking her away. Was told later she called before it was too late. My first feeling was anger. I felt badly about that, having that emotion. Never told anyone till now. Takes courage to admit something like that. You've got lots of courage and it will see you through this.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Thanks so much for your kind words, cymbaltawithdrawal5600. Thanks for sharing your story as well; it helps.

My struggle to be free from meds has been going relatively well, but I guess that's been because my wife has been there to absorb the brunt of the chaos from my stepson. We just saw what happens when she's the one who needs help. It's very hard for her right now, and she's very upset that I wasn't able to be there for her. And that makes me feel very badly about myself.

I tried to be there for the boy last night, but he decided to start using spray paint in his room. When my wife told him spray paint isn't allowed to be used in the house (especially in a small, closed room), he argued with her. This makes me so angry. So even though I tried to scrape together some sympathy for him, he reverts to this behavior and all I have is rage. My heart was pounding.

I can't even look at him without seeing red. I can't hear his voice without my blood pressure going up. It makes me reactive and irrational.

It doesn't help that my hearing seems to be off-the-charts sensitive right now. I'm like a giant raw nerve. I'm fine as long as the world is unnaturally peaceful and quiet, but even on the bus during my commute I sit there seething at the people who have their headphones turned up so loud that I can hear their music from ten feet away. I can hear the music coming out of their headphones even though I wear earplugs when I ride the bus! I can hear their "private" music over my own earplugs! I just want to sit and quietly read, but I can't because of how loudly the people around me are talking or listening to music.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

• Moderator Emeritus

It's a tough choice to make, Zang. I was just there making that choice not too long ago. It came down to what I was willing to sacrifice for withdrawal.. Which wasn't a whole heck of a lot :-). Reinstating is not failure... I don't feel like a failure. I was disappointed that my life is such that I couldnt... That I wasn't willing to continue on with how I was feeling. So I reinstated a few months ago, stabilized, got past a major hurdle I couldn't tackle while in the throws of a hellish crash and burn, and I've just started tapering again. This time with a more conservative plan.

We do what we feel we need to do to live our lives. Like CW said, you have courage, and you do have what it takes to get through this, but to get through "this" there is some sacrifice. Like I said, I was only willing to sacrifice so much... Some people are willing to sacrifice more, others less.

Your reaction to your step-son is normal and understandable, particularly to his suicidal gesture.

I don't know from personal experience, but I've seen friends struggle to like their ADHD diagnosed kid. They love them, but struggle to LIKE them and end up feeling guilty for that. I've come away not liking the kid either... some kids, just like a million other people in the world, are difficult to like.

Whatever you decide to do, do it for you and the life you want to live. THAT is what will give you strength.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Hi Zang!

I am fairly new to SA, but NOT new to the world of SSRIs.  I had about a 12 year stint with paxil and lexapro myself.  I have managed to read though almost your entire thread, and wanted to post.

First of all, I am SO sorry to hear about your step son, and I can not begin to imagine the added stress that is causing.  I am a mom to an eleven year old who is hitting puberty early, and even that is a lot to deal with.

I want to remind you today though of something that really STUCK with me in one of your earlier posts.  I'm going to quote you...

"Don't believe everything you think."

You DO have what it takes to tough this out.  I know that is doesn't feel like it though.  Unfortunately, I have learned that life doesn't stop just because we are in withdraw.  Sometimes, it gets even crazier.  I can so relate to many of your posts here... the physical symptoms, the emotional symptoms, etc.  Do me a favor... please try to wait a couple of weeks before making any decisions to go back on meds.  I am not here to tell you that you should or shouldn't do it, but please just give yourself some time first.

Started Paxil 10 mg., in 2002 for pre-wedding jitters.  Yes, you read that right, but I have always been an anxious person.

Paxil on and off until 2006, when I became pregnant with my second child.  Quick wean, almost CT.  Had severe PP anxiety after she was born, and was put on 10 mg Lexapro.  I now recognize that this was actually Paxil w/d.

Started weaning off Lexapro in 2011.  10 mg to 5 mg, and held there for about a year.  Experienced protracted w/d in 2012, and began to take it nice and slow from there.

Last dose of Lexapo: 5/18/2014

Had an appointment with the psych doc yesterday after work. He is a nice enough guy, it seems, but he's simulataneously extremely arrogant. He pretty much poo-pood all of my concerns, dismissed all complaints against antidepressants (and benzos), and invalidated my own experiences with side effects. He doesn't believe in long-term withdrawal at all.

He even told me that if there were any problems with these meds, no doctor would be willing to prescribe them for fear of being sued! Absurd.

I just kept my mouth shut for fear of being labeled combative or paranoid.

As we keep learning in America and around the world, we cannot necessarily trust authority figures or experts to know or say what is best for us. We each have to take responsibility for our own health and well-being. Right now I need this guy's prescribing power to help me keep my family together. I don't need to trust his judgment so long as I do my own research and don't fall for his "Pfizer said it, I believe it, that settles it" drug fundamentalist approach.

He prescribed Neurontin for my ongoing free floating anxiety, and Xanax for acute bouts in which my stepson gets my heart pounding, keeps me from sleeping, etc. I told my wife that I'll keep taking the little poison pills until the boy moves out when he turns 18.

As wary as I am of antidepressants, I'm terrified of the benzos. Recent research seems to link benzo use to Alzheimers. My doc is quite certain that benzos carry no risk, but I prefer to be more circumspect about their use.

So I'm on meds again. I don't feel good about this. I do feel as though it's a personal failing, though I'm told that I shouldn't view it that way. 

Keep fighting the good fight, everyone. We're all different, and we all do what we can. If the struggle to be free of the meds destroys our support networks, ours will be a pyrrhic victory at best. Perhaps not worth it. We all need to make these decisions as best we can.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

The one promise I made my wife when I began the struggle to be free of these meds is that I wouldn't let it destroy our marriage.

We have been through so much together. She and the kids are everything to me. I'm not willing to sacrifice her on the altar of withdrawal. To be free of the meds but to not have her in my life, as my wife and partner, would render my entire struggle worthless and pointless.

A year, two years, these are large periods of time in my kids' lives. To have my daughters remember such a large chunk of time as a time when their dad was a wreck or an emotional monster would be horrific. I was raised by emotionally-volatile monsters and don't want to be remembered as my parents are remembered. I am so close to my girls and am not willing to sacrifice those relationships.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

• Moderator Emeritus

There's no such thing as heresy here, so let go of that fear. We all know the kind of suffering you are experiencing, we've all been there. I was on and off meds many, many times before my current taper, been through that hell; in fact the current cocktail I'm tapering from came from trying to get out of one of those.

I'd just suggest stay with the mantra "the lowest possible dose of the fewest possible meds." Right now, in desperation, it's tempting to just take anything, whatever they give, whatever it takes, but later you will be glad that you were as conservative as possible.

And when the time comes to taper again, please consider a slower taper. I have always been concerned about how fast you tapered, given your very long history on the drugs. I think anyone who can count their psych med history in decades needs to plan on years to taper.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks, Rhiannon. :)

I know so much more this time than ever before, and whatever I take now automatically has me thinking about how I will taper off it when I am able to begin tapering again. That's why I've given up arguing with my doc; I don't need to convince him of anything. He's set in his ways and I know that I can get from him what I need for now: meds. I think that he's secretly happy about getting to prescribe for Mr. "No drugs for me." But he's been pretty good about letting me set the pace. 

And you're right - my next taper will be slower. In fact, taking it very slow will probably allow me to begin the taper sooner.

Thanks again.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

• Administrator

Hi Zang

Just wanted to give you another vote of confidence :).  There is no failure here.  You have identified what is most important in your life and made a decision to keep your family whole.  That is a beautiful thing.

I agree with your approach of basically using the doctor to get what you need, but managing your health based on all you've learned.

My journey off of drugs continues.  But what I find is important is maintaining my quality of life while on the journey.  Yes, I would like to be off of the drugs, but I find that being stable, loving my family, enjoying the beauty around me, being able to cope with challenges at work and in life - these are what make the journey worthwhile.

Keep us posted.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Thank you, Karma. I agree with all that you wrote and I wish you continued success in your journey. :)

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

Update:

This is just my second full day of being on Neurontin.

Already yesterday, after just two doses, things were different. I woke up early and easily; feeling refreshed. As I was walking from the bus stop to work, I suddenly realized that I felt... pretty good. Not great, not super, not manic, but pretty darn good.

I feel as though I am exactly the same person I was last week; except I don't have a cloud of anxiety hanging over me. I don't have that clenched fist in my gut - that tightness, that feeling of almost being braced for impact all day, every day.

I am still noticing the things my stepson is doing, but they don't make me want to rip his head off. I actually had a good talk with him last night about the situation with his ex-girlfriend.

It's kind of subtle. I'm not running around singing in the streets or anything, but I just feel... decent.

My wife says that she can feel the difference; that I just don't feel so tightly-wound.

As I say, it's kind of subtle. I'm definitely not numbed. My libido is not negatively impacted so far.

Only time will tell if this works out for me, but right now I'm doing more okay than I've been in a while.

I haven't taken any Xanax and I hope that I will never need to. I'm saving it only in case of emergency. I'm kind of scared of benzos - even more than antidepressants.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

• 1 month later...

Had an appointment with the psych doc yesterday after work. He is a nice enough guy, it seems, but he's simulataneously extremely arrogant. He pretty much poo-pood all of my concerns, dismissed all complaints against antidepressants (and benzos), and invalidated my own experiences with side effects. He doesn't believe in long-term withdrawal at all.

He even told me that if there were any problems with these meds, no doctor would be willing to prescribe them for fear of being sued! Absurd.

I just kept my mouth shut for fear of being labeled combative or paranoid.

As we keep learning in America and around the world, we cannot necessarily trust authority figures or experts to know or say what is best for us. We each have to take responsibility for our own health and well-being. Right now I need this guy's prescribing power to help me keep my family together. I don't need to trust his judgment so long as I do my own research and don't fall for his "Pfizer said it, I believe it, that settles it" drug fundamentalist approach.

He prescribed Neurontin for my ongoing free floating anxiety, and Xanax for acute bouts in which my stepson gets my heart pounding, keeps me from sleeping, etc. I told my wife that I'll keep taking the little poison pills until the boy moves out when he turns 18.

As wary as I am of antidepressants, I'm terrified of the benzos. Recent research seems to link benzo use to Alzheimers. My doc is quite certain that benzos carry no risk, but I prefer to be more circumspect about their use.

So I'm on meds again. I don't feel good about this. I do feel as though it's a personal failing, though I'm told that I shouldn't view it that way. 

Keep fighting the good fight, everyone. We're all different, and we all do what we can. If the struggle to be free of the meds destroys our support networks, ours will be a pyrrhic victory at best. Perhaps not worth it. We all need to make these decisions as best we can.

Wow, I can't believe you are willing to work with this doctor. Although, most of them have exactly the same attitude. But a doctor like this is not the kind of doctor who will help you do a long taper and prescribe liquid medication that's necessary for a long taper.

Check out this dialogue 

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

Thanks for those videos, Lilu.

Since I last wrote, my teenaged stepson ran away from home, threatened to kill himself and threatened to kill me. We called the police, but they were unable to do anything at all because he told them that he wasn't a danger to himself or others.

Right now I feel like I am in hell and I honestly don't care what I need to do to stop my heart from hammering in my chest and to stop feeling as though I am going to die. I have to be able to support my wife as we go through this and try to deal with it together. I need to be there for my young daughters, who need help understanding what is going on and who need to know that they can count on me to keep them safe. Despite being medicated, I was literally throwing up from the anxiety a few days ago.

So right now I'm willing to make a deal with the devil in order to survive this and help my family to survive it. Sometimes it feels hopeless and terrifying, but I can't leave my wife and daughters to deal with it alone.

I know that there will be a price to pay when we survive this, but right now our top priority is surviving.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

Thanks for those videos, Lilu.

Since I last wrote, my teenaged stepson ran away from home, threatened to kill himself and threatened to kill me. We called the police, but they were unable to do anything at all because he told them that he wasn't a danger to himself or others.

Right now I feel like I am in hell and I honestly don't care what I need to do to stop my heart from hammering in my chest and to stop feeling as though I am going to die. I have to be able to support my wife as we go through this and try to deal with it together. I need to be there for my young daughters, who need help understanding what is going on and who need to know that they can count on me to keep them safe. Despite being medicated, I was literally throwing up from the anxiety a few days ago.

So right now I'm willing to make a deal with the devil in order to survive this and help my family to survive it. Sometimes it feels hopeless and terrifying, but I can't leave my wife and daughters to deal with it alone.

I know that there will be a price to pay when we survive this, but right now our top priority is surviving.

Oh Zang,

What you're dealing with is really tough. It seems that one person in your family is quite toxic to everyone else in your family.  I have seen quite a few Dr.Phil episodes with similar situations.  Usually, Dr.Phil's advice is to remove the disrupting son from the family and place him in some sort of rehabilitation facility. Is that an option at all for you?

• 2 months later...

Brief update time:

Teenaged ADHD stepson continues to present incredible challenges to all. He's fully immersed in a culture of recreational drugs and has no desire to stop using them. He seems to think that they are helping him while all we can see is that he seems to be falling apart - he is close to failing out of school and his moods have become even more volatile, his behavior even less predictable. Docs can't treat his ADHD because they can't mess with his meds while he's self-medicating. Maddening.

I've been taking Gabapentin (Neurontin) to manage my anxiety, with Xanax on an as-needed basis. I'm terrified of forming a dependence on Xanax, so I'm using it rarely - maybe .25mg once a week, mainly to help me sleep when exhaustion threatens. 

The Gabapentin does not entirely remove the symptoms of my anxiety, but it takes care of enough of them that I'm able to function well as husband and father. And I'm not a zombie: I experience joy from my wife and kids on a daily basis, which is helping me to survive the bad times from my son.

So, things are difficult but I'm holding steady. Hang in there, everyone.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

• 11 months later...

An update:

I can't believe it's been almost a year since my last post in this thread.

What a nightmare, and it's not over yet. Perhaps never will be.

My ADHD-diagnosed, drug addict step-son has been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. We had to call the police on him again and he ended up in a psych ward for a couple of months. I had to testify against him in court and he was ordered into rehab, which he did complete, though he has no still has no desire to quit drugs. It turns out that he was abusing every drug under the sun. He's possibly done some long-term mental damage to himself.

My family is a wreck. I don't know whether my marriage will survive.

I am just realizing how badly this all has affected me - not just mentally and emotionally, but also physically.

I still hope to try to go off the meds, but that goal seems so, so far in the future.

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free