SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Kali123: fourth time's a charm?

Kali123

Good day! Thank you for responding! One of my main motivators for wanting to get off of antidepressants is because I have lost ALL my libido. This has done a number on my marriage, and my feelings of self-confidence, self-esteem, etc. In fact, I could probably live with every other side effect of the meds save this one. I believe that the Celexa is the prime contributor to this. I would like to get off of Wellbutrin eventually, but I don't want to try to do both at the same time. 

Wellbutrin was added initially for postpartum depression, and then with the hopes of increasing my libido. I don't think it's been effective, but I know that tapering it will be difficult and lengthy (also, I take an extended release version which is hard to taper, so I'll have to change that as well). 

Currently, my sleep is pretty good. Not perfect, by any means, but not terrible either. 

Thank you for asking!

M

2001-2014  between 10-40mg Celexa, with 3 attempted tapers, 1 CT

2014-2015 added Wellbutrin 150-300 msg, started to taper Celexa

2014-2015 -continued to taper slowly to < 1 mg Celexa, BUT  increased alcohol use 

Jan 2016 - reinstated on 10 mg Celexa, 300 mg Wellbutrin, eliminated alcohol, increased exercise, psychotherapy, improved diet

June 2017 - August 2018 - reintroduced alcohol (2-3 drinks / week), maintaining exercise & diet regimen

Sept 2018 - went from 10 to 9 mg Celexa, holding 300 mg Wellbutrin

.... (monthly taper sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb)

Feb 2019 - 3 mg Celexa, 300 mg Wellbutrin; Feb 28 - 2.75 mgs Celex, 300 mg Wellbutrin; March 25, 2019 2.5 mgs Celexa, 300 mg. Wellbutrin

(continued taper)

October 2019 -completed Celexa taper, started Wellbutrin taper - 200mg Wellbutrin (faster pace because of stimulating effects of Wellbutrin)

• Administrator

Your reasoning is sound regarding tapering the Celexa first is sound.

If you take Wellbutrin at night, that could be disturbing your sleep. You might move it to the morning by taking it earlier an hour or two every day.

Here are Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram) Please let us know how you're doing.

Are you taking any drugs other than Wellbutrin and Celexa? If so, please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

hi again,

I take all my meds first thing in the morning - at around 6am - very routine and exact. 

I have been on a BHRT regimen since the spring - bioidentical estrogen patches and progesterone pills intended to try to remedy my night sweats and improve my libido. There has been very little if any effect, so I may discontinue them. They may be helping slightly with sleep, however.

I am not taking anything else other than B12. I may add some supplements during the taper which I plan to start again in Sept. 

2014-2015 -continued to taper slowly to < 1 mg Celexa, BUT  increased alcohol use 

Jan 2016 - reinstated on 10 mg Celexa, 300 mg Wellbutrin, eliminated alcohol, increased exercise, psychotherapy, improved diet

June 2017 - August 2018 - reintroduced alcohol (2-3 drinks / week), maintaining exercise & diet regimen

Feb 2019 - 3 mg Celexa, 300 mg Wellbutrin; Feb 28 - 2.75 mgs Celex, 300 mg Wellbutrin; March 25, 2019 2.5 mgs Celexa, 300 mg. Wellbutrin

(continued taper)

October 2019 -completed Celexa taper, started Wellbutrin taper - 200mg Wellbutrin (faster pace because of stimulating effects of Wellbutrin)

• Administrator

When did you start B12, how much are you taking? Please read our topic about it

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

(continued taper)

I am taking 5000 mg methylcobalamin sublingually. For some reason, I cannot seem to do this regularly. I'll take it for a few days and then forget about it for a week or so. I also take Fish Oils, but only when I remember. Just like a sometimes take D3 drops in the winter and then neglect them for weeks.

I started doing B12 wayyyy back - maybe 10 years ago. My doctor prescribed monthly shots based on a low B12 levels in a blood test. I could never get up the nerve to do them myself, and would chronically forget to get my husband to help, so I would often go months without them. I eventually gave up, though I still have a bunch of vials and syringes in my cupboard. I was hoping sublingual tablets would be easier to make a habit of. 

I know that once I start my taper, I need to get more careful about taking my supplements everyday. I would like a simple, safe plan for supplementing to start. I cannot take a lot of vitamins / supplements because they give me terrible nausea - even regular B12 vitamins do, as does iron, magnesium, B6. 

My cupboard is full of supplements I tried and abandoned either through forgetfulness or because they made me sick.

(continued taper)

• ChessieCat changed the title to MilkandMarble: Fourth time's a charm?
  • 6 months later...

I have been lurking on the site regularly as I continue on my steady taper, and thought it was time to chime in and reach out for some help. My taper has been approx 1 mg/ month. I'm now at 3 mgs celexa, and still holding with my 300 mgs Wellbutrin. Overall, this time around has been better than previous taper attempts. I haven't had the crashing waves of overwhelm and despair i've had in the past. Instead, I'm developing a low-level kind of resignation --- a feeling like life is really just too much struggle and empty and meaningless. This is scarier than the waves in some ways because it doesn't read to me like a withdrawal symptom but more like a true depression returning (though I don't even remember if this is what my initial depression felt like 18 years ago). It's not completely debilitating, I'm still working everyday, raising my 2 young daughters, looking for another job, going to my art classes, seeing my friends regularly, sleeping okay .. I'm doing really well compared to any previous attempts to get off. But I feel like life is just a series of actions right now, I wake up and think "this again?" and I can't imagine going on like this. I'm not excited about anything, I have no hope. But I"m not in acute pain. Will I start to feel something again?

(continued taper)

• Moderator Emeritus

What you are describing sounds like anhedonia, which is a common WD symptom--no purpose to life, nothing has meaning, etc.   Anhedonia resolves after a time but unfortunately no one can say when.

If you are going down 1 mg a month at 3mg you are going too fast.  We recommend no faster than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  It is especially important to go slowly at the lower doses.   I'd suggest a hold at this point to let your brain catch up.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I will hold for a bit, as you advise. I have been hesitant to stop as it doesn't feel like a wave. It doesn't feel like a crisis that needs settling. But I am pretty flat, emotionally. And cold, tired, poor concentration - the usual that I've been fighting for a while now. My brain keeps telling me that things will start to improve once I'm off the drugs, but I do have a long way to go. Not even sure about how / when to tackle the Wellbutrin; I've been focussed on the Celexa exclusively. 

(continued taper)

• ChessieCat changed the title to MilkandMarble: fourth time's a charm?

just going to share some thoughts on my withdrawal tonight as I'm reading through old threads on neuro-emotions, crying spells, etc.

Do you ever get lost in the reason / meaning for all of this? Like I just forget what the point of this journey is ... especially if I'm trying to explain to a friend why I'm not going to just up my meds in reaction to my symptoms. 

And the anger. The anger! I've been mired in it of late. Feeling angry, hurt by almost everything and everyone. My mantra has become "it's not real; it's a neuro-emotion." But then, I second-guess. Maybe I have a right to feel such rage? Maybe the drugs helped me tolerate what I shouldn't have tolerated for too long? 

Again, I get lost in sorting it all out. What to believe, what to be guided by.

And I'm starting to drink too much wine again. I know, I KNOW. This won't help me to manage things. But it feels like my only relief from the work of living these days.

It's just been so damn hard lately. I need a window soon.

(continued taper)

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/24/2019 at 9:11 PM, Kali123 said:

And I'm starting to drink too much wine again. I know, I KNOW. This won't help me to manage things.

It could be more than not helping you to manage things, it could be making this much worse for you:

From Drug Interactions Checker

Moderate

buPROPion ethanol

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Alcohol (contained in alcoholic beverages) (ethanol)

Using buPROPion with alcohol may increase the risk of uncommon side effects such as seizures, hallucinations, delusions, paranoia, mood and behavioral changes, depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, and panic attacks. On the other hand, sudden withdrawal from alcohol following regular or chronic use can also increase your risk of seizures during treatment with buPROPion. If you are prone to frequent or excessive alcohol use, talk to your doctor before starting buPROPion. In general, you should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with bupropion.

Edited by Shep
updated with new username in quote box

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

After a fairly lengthy window (albeit a foggy window), I'm definitely flailing in a wave tonight. The depression descends like a light dimming down to the lowest possible level, my body even contracts, my eyes stay at half mast. 

I have reduced from 3 mg to 2.5 mg over 8 weeks and this is probably the slightly delayed result of that. Knowing that, I can try to keep it framed as temporary. 

I feel so dispirited knowing that even after I finish the celexa taper I will have 300 mgs of Wellbutrin to taper. It feels impossible. 

And my motivator -- to regain libido and emotion -- has not yet shown any signs of recurrence. I have to keep trying to remember why the hell I'm doing this anyway. stuck in the limbo of not getting the stabilizing effects of the SSRI nor the joys of clarity, libido, self again. So hard to stay motivated.

Reading success stories again tonight. Seriously considering doing interviews for a book of profiles of those who made it off to give mainstream access to these examples. I am a professional interviewer / writer but have never done my own book. But for each of us alone wondering if there is any hope, how wonderful it would be to have in-depth compassionate portraits of those who went through the tunnel and emerged (changed) on the other side.

It gets so easy to feel so isolated in this struggle. I'm sure there are others, perhaps even on my block, going through this, but we don't know of each other, and we are each alone in our suffering. My husband and friends try to be supportive, but they don't really get it, and the longer the withdrawal process goes on (oh you haven't seen anything yet!), the more it seems to baffle them why I'd want to put myself through this. For what? For what, indeed. Remind why this is the right path ...

(continued taper)

On 2/24/2019 at 9:11 PM, Kali123 said:

And I'm starting to drink too much wine again.

Hi Kali ,this resonates with me  being sober 4 years now   ,you will really need to reduce or even cut alcohol out .taper off it over weeks .we are self medicating .[absolute no judgement of you ]

I relate to what you have written in your posts.im constantly conflicted between the thoughts of wanting  to come off meds   and the fall out with my life destroyed by this process.but in the windows  ,the "normal" feelings of touch and emotion  are enough to keep me hopeful,even though im super sensitive ridicoulsly at times .its a strange battle of wills that goes on in my mind .

Take care.

Edited by Shep
updated with new username

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 6 months later...

just checking in to say hello. Completed my Celexa taper yesterday (was at .3 mg). Am once again under the care of a disbelieving psychiatrist who thinks withdrawal is a sham. I'm not in a place emotionally to educate or argue with him right now. I am now starting the Wellbutrin taper, at a much quicker rate, because the stimulating effects of the Wellbutrin without the Celexa are becoming intolerable (insomnia, anxiety, restlessness). I come here to remind myself it will get better. I come here to restore hope in my own healing. 

(continued taper)

Deep in a wave and racked with guilt and shame. I am, in fact, at this moment, missing out on a family holiday weekend because I couldn't stand myself being around them and begged my husband to go away without me. My biggest issues are crying spells and overwhelm. The crying is ridiculous and can be for both good or bad things. Listening to a podcast about 2 sisters who love each other= crying. Seeing a homeless man on the street=crying. Looking at photos of my children= crying. Thinking about my career=crying. Reading a letter my daughter wrote to the tooth fairy=crying. 

Has anyone been in this land of endless tears and can tell me when the crying spells will go away? 

I have had to go on medical leave from work due to poor focus, crying, and general exhaustion. This is my second week and I feel terrible about it. What was the point of tapering at a snail's pace only to have to still go on leave because I can no longer function? My psych. wants to speed up the Wellbutrin taper because he feels things cannot deteriorate much more than they are. 

One bright spot is having found a counsellor who I feel comfortable with who I am now seeing weekly. First time I've ever felt a good fit: she is smart, open to the fact that meds may not be the only answer, I respect her, she is listening to me. I am hopeful she will be a guide through some of these cognitive changes I am attempting. 

My god this is hard.

(continued taper)

On 10/11/2019 at 7:42 PM, Kali123 said:

My psych. wants to speed up the Wellbutrin taper because he feels things cannot deteriorate much more than they are. 

How do you feel about this?

I was interested in the effects of your  wine drinking. I have on occasions   drank wine and found it alleviated my symptoms greatly, including anxiety and I feel closer to the old me. It’s a catharsis. This interests me in terms of the factors affecting my brain in WD. Is the rampant cortisol at the route of some of my symptoms.  And what about gaba? . Next two days i’ll feel worse but comparatively after long periods of not drinking I don’t know if there is really much difference between the two. Historically, I tolerate alcohol well and despite being female and if lower body weight find I am very much in control if mental faculties . It’s hard for me to get drunk.  Still,  I have decided to stay away from it for the time being but I can honestly say sometimes it has been worth the brief escape that it has given me. 

I think it is a personal decision to weigh up. A complex one. Obviously, a short term escape and not exactly a healing one. I don’t advocate it as this. But it interests me in terms of the effect on my WD. 

Edited by Shep

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante
On 10/11/2019 at 7:42 PM, Kali123 said:

One bright spot is having found a counsellor who I feel comfortable with who I am now seeing weekly.

Fantastic news. 

Edited by Shep

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

- Dante
On 3/31/2019 at 10:01 PM, Kali123 said:

And my motivator -- to regain libido and emotion -- has not yet shown any signs of recurrence. I have to keep trying to remember why the hell I'm doing this anyway. stuck in the limbo of not getting the stabilizing effects of the SSRI nor the joys of clarity, libido, self again. So hard to stay motivated.

I’ve made significant leaps forward with my libido which I lost on CT WD. You can read about it here.

Edited by Shep

- Dante

Hi Kali,

This IS so terribly hard,,,and I am so sorry you had to miss your family’s holiday weekend because of symptoms. 

Yes, I have experienced the “land of endless tears” that you speak about. The crying spells that go on and on and on, and often for no particular reason. In general, crying has a real value for me as a means for releasing old pain and trauma, and when I am in fact doing that there is usually a sense of resolution, understanding and peace that results. But the endless crying that I think you’re talking about, for me is just that...endless and exhausting and without any healing benefit whatsoever. It’s almost like I am traumatizing myself in the process. And then re-traumatizing myself again and again. 

Just the the other day I spoke to a healer who I work with who suggested that I could “choose” at times not to cry. She said that on an energetic level I was literally “bleeding out” and that it was contributing to my sense of depression and despair. At times the crying is beneficial and healing, but at other times it is making everything so much worse. I took what she said to heart and have literally placed my hand over my heart and set an intention, made a choice in that moment not to cry anymore. It seems to engage my will in such a way that it gives my emotions and my feelings and my heart a much needed break. It helps me to “contain” myself better and seems to have a strengthening effect, rather than the effect of endlessly wearing me out and breaking my heart.

I don’t know if this is meaningful to you at all, and please disregard it if it is not. I just did want you to know that you are not alone with your endless tears. It seems to be yet another possible WD symptom.

i am also tapering off of Celexa and Wellbutrin. That’s how I happened to come across your thread...the Wellbutrin connection. Like you, I have been experiencing intolerable stimulating effects from the Wellbutrin as the Celexa has decreased. But unlike you, I’m still taking 5.4mg Celexa. High blood pressure leading to vision problems is the worst of it for me, and so there is a real sense of urgency to get it tapered down as quickly as possible...but still, weighing that against the dire consequences of a “too fast” taper. It is a challenge for sure.

I look forward to your updates regarding the Wellbutrin. I hope you got some relief from your symptoms this weekend...and know that you are not alone. 

AuntieBea

Edited by Shep

1991: Start Prozac / 1993: Stop Prozac / 1995: Restart Prozac

1997: Add Wellbutrin / 2002: CT Prozac & Wellbutrin

2004-2017: Start 10mg Celexa & 150mg Wellbutrin 

2007: Add Ativan / 2009: Stop Ativan, start Klonopin & Seroquel

2012-2013: Taper off Klonopin & Seroquel

Aug 2017: Start tapering 10mg Celexa & 150mg Wellbutrin

Apr 2018: 6.5mg Celexa & 100mg Wellbutrin

Apr 2019: 5.4mg Celexa & 100mg Wellbutrin

Nov 2019: Start tapering Wellbutrin

Sept 2020: 5.4mg Celexa & 50mg Wellbutrin

June 5, 2021: 5.4mg Celexa & 32mg Wellbutrin

Dec 2021: 5.2mg Celexa & 30mg Wellbutrin

On 10/13/2019 at 8:36 AM, India said:

How do you feel about this?

I was interested in the effects of your  wine drinking. I have on occasions   drank wine and found it alleviated my symptoms greatly, including anxiety and I feel closer to the old me. It’s a catharsis. This interests me in terms of the factors affecting my brain in WD. Is the rampant cortisol at the route of some of my symptoms.  And what about gaba? . Next two days i’ll feel worse but comparatively after long periods of not drinking I don’t know if there is really much difference between the two. Historically, I tolerate alcohol well and despite being female and if lower body weight find I am very much in control if mental faculties . It’s hard for me to get drunk.  Still,  I have decided to stay away from it for the time being but I can honestly say sometimes it has been worth the brief escape that it has given me. 

I think it is a personal decision to weigh up. A complex one. Obviously, a short term escape and not exactly a healing one. I don’t advocate it as this. But it interests me in terms of the effect on my WD. 

Hi India. Regarding the Wellbutrin, I am fearful of doing a taper that is not as slow as the 10% protocol but I am willing to try it for 2 reasons:

1. I have been doing a slow taper with the Celexa (over 2 years), and I am still, currently, not functioning well enough to work. I took every precaution to try to avoid getting to this point, and I will not spend another 2 years tapering Wellbutrin and feeling like this. 

2. The effects of the Wellbutrin (without an SSRI) are untenable and I have to get off.

I am hopeful that the Wellbutrin taper will be less difficult. Since I am not at work anyway, now is the time to do it. But, yes I'm scared. Depending on the time of day, I can feel like I'm getting better or getting worse. I still believe I will heal. 

About the wine. This is a tough question. I would never in a million years advocate that alcohol can help your mental health. I know that is not true. I know that there is a chance I will have to remove alcohol from my life entirely again, as I have in the past. For now, I do allow myself to have 1 or 2 glasses now and then. It does help my feelings of doom / self-hate. I don't really suffer for it the next day, but I am vigilant. Right now, I am trying to be forgiving of myself when I do have a glass or two, knowing I need to be wary and not start using it regularly. 

I am not trying to defend the practice, just to say I indulge occasionally with my eyes open to the potential negative effects.

Let's just say I have very little joy in my life at the moment, and sometimes I choose to take the edge just ever so slightly.

(continued taper)

On 10/13/2019 at 7:03 PM, AuntieBea said:

Hi Kali,

This IS so terribly hard,,,and I am so sorry you had to miss your family’s holiday weekend because of symptoms. 

Yes, I have experienced the “land of endless tears” that you speak about. The crying spells that go on and on and on, and often for no particular reason. In general, crying has a real value for me as a means for releasing old pain and trauma, and when I am in fact doing that there is usually a sense of resolution, understanding and peace that results. But the endless crying that I think you’re talking about, for me is just that...endless and exhausting and without any healing benefit whatsoever. It’s almost like I am traumatizing myself in the process. And then re-traumatizing myself again and again. 

Just the the other day I spoke to a healer who I work with who suggested that I could “choose” at times not to cry. She said that on an energetic level I was literally “bleeding out” and that it was contributing to my sense of depression and despair. At times the crying is beneficial and healing, but at other times it is making everything so much worse. I took what she said to heart and have literally placed my hand over my heart and set an intention, made a choice in that moment not to cry anymore. It seems to engage my will in such a way that it gives my emotions and my feelings and my heart a much needed break. It helps me to “contain” myself better and seems to have a strengthening effect, rather than the effect of endlessly wearing me out and breaking my heart.

I don’t know if this is meaningful to you at all, and please disregard it if it is not. I just did want you to know that you are not alone with your endless tears. It seems to be yet another possible WD symptom.

i am also tapering off of Celexa and Wellbutrin. That’s how I happened to come across your thread...the Wellbutrin connection. Like you, I have been experiencing intolerable stimulating effects from the Wellbutrin as the Celexa has decreased. But unlike you, I’m still taking 5.4mg Celexa. High blood pressure leading to vision problems is the worst of it for me, and so there is a real sense of urgency to get it tapered down as quickly as possible...but still, weighing that against the dire consequences of a “too fast” taper. It is a challenge for sure.

I look forward to your updates regarding the Wellbutrin. I hope you got some relief from your symptoms this weekend...and know that you are not alone. 

AuntieBea

Thank you so much for sharing this AuntieBea. You write about it very eloquently. The thing about my crying is that I do not let it last at all right now. It just rises up, bursts through, and I have to have a quick sob. I then tamp it down very quickly. The feeling is not good. I feel out of control, unloveable, beyond help. I feel embarrassed of it, even when I'm alone. I also feel afraid to let it just go, to actually let myself have a real cry, perhaps because of the energetic function you describe above, that crying can be like a "bleeding out". I do almost feel like if I let myself go and just cried fully, I would lose my mind entirely. The crying carries huge feelings of sadness, hopelessness, horror with it, so I stop it as soon as I can (usually about 10-20 seconds). 

Thank you for your words of encouragement. You can be sure that just telling me I'm not alone evoked a little cry from me. 

My brain is actually feeling clearer today than it has been in days, but my mood is very low as my husband has not been communicating with over this weekend away and I'm feeling very sorry for myself, unloved, unmissed. I am angry with him for not reaching out and also torn about even addressing it as it will not change what is likely under it; he is probably relieved to be away from me. The only way I can change that is to heal. 

Edited by Shep

(continued taper)

On 10/14/2019 at 9:37 AM, Kali123 said:

Let's just say I have very little joy in my life at the moment, and sometimes I choose to take the edge just ever so slightly.

I very much identify with this sentiment. 

As for the Wellbutrin decision,  I wish you the best of luck. I also find myself at crossroads.... a year of stabilisation with only a 10% drop and though feeling better than the hell of the first 3 months preceding a CT from citalopram , it is a question of relative hells. I am in a more of a purgatory now. I too feel the loss of time, the Proustian effect and similarly try to weigh up a version of damage control. I too wonder whether to start tapering now for similar reasons  . I will follow your journey keenly.

It is is a good sign you feel clearer. As for loved ones, I just think it’s so hard for them to truly comprehend WD. Unless you have been through it it is hard to fathom. We need a lot of care and compassion  in WD which is often not available to us for differing factors.

Edited by Shep

- Dante

Oh...I am so sorry for the sadness you’ve been feeling.... It’s so difficult to accept that the people closest to us, friends and loved ones are often unable to be there for us, to support us in the way that is really needed through this crisis called Withdrawal Syndrome. It’s so terribly isolating. I know I get to feeling so abandoned and alone just watching as the people around me go on with their lives, the ups and downs, the adventures and plans and dreams, and I am left behind here in a kind of time warp just trying to survive each next moment as best I can. And I know they have no way of really understanding. You have to have been there, if you know what I mean. I know that’s totally feeling sorry for myself, and I work real hard not to stay stuck there because I know it’s a downward spiral going no place good, but OMG it’s so hard sometimes....

That thing about crying, the not being able to cry part, it may be wisdom on your part not to go there at the moment. It may be that in order to go through those scary, terrifying places and have it be a healing experience, you may need another person there to “witness” for you. Someone who can stay grounded and absolutely loving while you go through those dark and terrible places. They are able to keep you safe because they stay grounded and unattached, loving you unconditionally. It’s what we do as mothers for our kids, at least when we’re at our best we do. Not everyone can do it though. It’s hard. But if there’s even one person in your life who can do that for you it is a gift to be treasured. 

My husband is leaving for California in a couple of days. He’ll be gone for two weeks at least. He just got back from there two weeks ago having been gone for four weeks prior to that. I often think the very same thing that you just said, that he is probably relieved to be away from me. I don’t blame him for that actually...it’s got to be really hard to stand by and be so utterly powerless, even more powerless than I am, to help me. But...it is pushing me hard into all of my unresolved abandonment issues. Oh boy is it difficult!!! Even though I am a such a great introvert and in most instances very happy with, and in need of lots of alone time, there is something about this situation in withdrawal that has me in a near panic about being left alone for so long. It’s really forcing me to reach out to other people, here on SA as well as in my regular life. So in that way there’s definitely growth in it for me. Such a wonderful opportunity for me to grow and recover and heal...! Yikes, more of that!!!

Well, I’m going to say good bye for now. I’m sitting here with an ice cube wrapped in a wash cloth over my right eye and it’s melting now. My eye is so painful today...believe it or not, yet another side effect of Wellbutrin kicking in. I’m trying to get on with tapering it but it’s gotten to be very complicated.... All of it’s so complicated, this withdrawal stuff. It’s a wonder and a blessing that SA, and Alto and all the moderators are here helping and guiding. Angels I think.

AuntieBea

1991: Start Prozac / 1993: Stop Prozac / 1995: Restart Prozac

1997: Add Wellbutrin / 2002: CT Prozac & Wellbutrin

2004-2017: Start 10mg Celexa & 150mg Wellbutrin 

2007: Add Ativan / 2009: Stop Ativan, start Klonopin & Seroquel

2012-2013: Taper off Klonopin & Seroquel

Aug 2017: Start tapering 10mg Celexa & 150mg Wellbutrin

Apr 2018: 6.5mg Celexa & 100mg Wellbutrin

Apr 2019: 5.4mg Celexa & 100mg Wellbutrin

Nov 2019: Start tapering Wellbutrin

Sept 2020: 5.4mg Celexa & 50mg Wellbutrin

June 5, 2021: 5.4mg Celexa & 32mg Wellbutrin

Dec 2021: 5.2mg Celexa & 30mg Wellbutrin

AuntieBea - your response moved me. Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out and share those thoughts with me. It helped a lot. Since I last posted, I have had a bit of window (Hallelujah!!!!) and some of the clouds in my brain parted just enough for me to see something of the world and feel reassured by my family. Last weekend was a bit of a dark night of the soul for me as I began to imagine losing everything, my mind, my dreams, my family, my self. What a difference a little window makes. Just having that experience of a bit of relief from the relentless struggle reminded me it is possible I can feel okay again. I will hold on to that feeling and try not to forget what it represents. 

I'm so sorry to hear about the worries you're having about being alone. Having just come out of 5 days in solitude, I can tell you that having some structure to my days was really important. Even if it means writing down a bit of a schedule and making yourself get out of the house, meditate, walk, do yard work, whatever are the things that stop the rumination. The internet can be a mixed blessing and can easily put you into catastrophe mode. I would set a daily limit of how much time you let yourself be online, or at least on SA. 

You have a great attitude about looking at these hard things as learning opportunities. That will take you far. You are very wise and shouldn't doubt the knowledge you possess inside yourself. 

On 10/15/2019 at 5:07 PM, AuntieBea said:

That thing about crying, the not being able to cry part, it may be wisdom on your part not to go there at the moment. It may be that in order to go through those scary, terrifying places and have it be a healing experience, you may need another person there to “witness” for you. Someone who can stay grounded and absolutely loving while you go through those dark and terrible places. They are able to keep you safe because they stay grounded and unattached, loving you unconditionally. It’s what we do as mothers for our kids, at least when we’re at our best we do. Not everyone can do it though. It’s hard. But if there’s even one person in your life who can do that for you it is a gift to be treasured. 

I really appreciate what you wrote about crying and it has given me so much to think about. I realize that I wasn't allowed to just cry, even as a child, as my mom always wanted to fix everything immediately. Now, with my 2 young daughters, I try really hard to practice exactly what you say above - you put it beautifully. I had never really thought about it in terms of myself before, and it has such a deeper meaning. It is very challenging to do it, but I will keep trying. 

Thank you again, stay in touch, take care,

K

(continued taper)

• Shep changed the title to Kali123: fourth time's a charm?