SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Recommended books on antidepressant tapering and withdrawal

Punarbhava

• Administrator

Dr. Glenmullen's basic taper is faster than what we recommend here, but he does caution to adjust the schedule to individual tolerance here and there throughout the book. That is why he spends so many pages on withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2013 at 10:32 AM, hippopotamus said:

Has anyone ever thought of making a book in which the most important info from sources like this forum about withdrawal is bundled?

I think that it could be an excellent help for people who want to withdraw. Any thoughts on this?

I have. And here it is seven years later.I have. And here it is seven years later.

1980s: First diagnosed with depression. Treated with a tricyclic. 1988: Switched to Prozac 20 mg.  1990s to 2010: On and off Prozac. Increased dose led to side effects. 2011: Put on Zyprexa. 2011: Work burnout and breakdown. Hospitalized for suicidal depression. Switched to Seroquel. Switched to Celexa 40 mg and lithium 300 mg. 2019: Stopped Seroquel. 

2020 July: Decreased Celexa to 30 mg in attempt to alleviate sexual dysfunction. Worked somewhat.

2020 August: Decreased Celexa to 20 mg. Sexual function improved but w/d effects started. 

2020 September: Maintaining Celexa at 20 mg. Experiencing w/d effects - fatigue, dysphoria, mood instability

2020 September 13: Increased Celexa to 30 mg due to w/d effects. Still on lithium 300 mg/day.

2020 October 3: Reduced Celexa to 27 mg. Started taper. 10% per month as recommended.

2020 October 18: Reduced to 24 mg.

2020 December 4: Reduced to 21 mg.

2020 December 23: Reduced to 20 mg (spacing out taper intervals due to persistent w/d effects)

2021 September 23: Several reductions over the past 9 months to 7.0 mg. Stressful life circumstances led me to feeling very depressed with suicidal feelings, so upped to the dose to 10 mg until I feel better. 

On 7/28/2016 at 4:06 AM, nz11 said:

Well i had Glenmullen's book 'antidepressant solution 'on my shelf for about 2 yrs now and only started reading it today.

i guess its just been sitting there cos i thought oh it will just be the same old stuff i have read before.

Well i really rec this book. As usual i am turning it into another  heavily highlighted book. Im now half way through it. Yes there are a lot of things i have read before but that is totally ok to be reminded again.

However im finding some gold im reading some things i had never heard before and will be useful to know so im finding it very informative.

Too bad about the unfortunate title though.

Sadly Glenmullen like Healy says he prescribes ssris. Gee i really feel disappointed when i read of those admissions.

That's why i put Breggin at the number one spot on my heroes list and number two is Brogan. Both these people say 'I don't prescribe'.

I wonder if Lucire prescribes?

Sometimes prescription is necessary which is why I like Glennmullen and Healy. They are competent psychiatrists who do what is needed. I’m afraid Breggin is too extreme for my taste. I would not send anyone to him for treatment. I’ve seen too many people suffer terribly because of antipsychiatry opposition to all medications. Sometimes meds are called for, especially with schizophrenia.

1980s: First diagnosed with depression. Treated with a tricyclic. 1988: Switched to Prozac 20 mg.  1990s to 2010: On and off Prozac. Increased dose led to side effects. 2011: Put on Zyprexa. 2011: Work burnout and breakdown. Hospitalized for suicidal depression. Switched to Seroquel. Switched to Celexa 40 mg and lithium 300 mg. 2019: Stopped Seroquel. 

2020 July: Decreased Celexa to 30 mg in attempt to alleviate sexual dysfunction. Worked somewhat.

2020 August: Decreased Celexa to 20 mg. Sexual function improved but w/d effects started. 

2020 September: Maintaining Celexa at 20 mg. Experiencing w/d effects - fatigue, dysphoria, mood instability

2020 September 13: Increased Celexa to 30 mg due to w/d effects. Still on lithium 300 mg/day.

2020 October 3: Reduced Celexa to 27 mg. Started taper. 10% per month as recommended.

2020 December 23: Reduced to 20 mg (spacing out taper intervals due to persistent w/d effects)

2021 September 23: Several reductions over the past 9 months to 7.0 mg. Stressful life circumstances led me to feeling very depressed with suicidal feelings, so upped to the dose to 10 mg until I feel better. 

• 9 months later...

Is there nothing more recent on antidepressant withdrawal. Is this forum the only updated source?

• Altostrata changed the title to Recommended books on antidepressant tapering and withdrawal
  • 3 months later...

Withdrawal from Prescribed Psychotropic drugs

Edited by Peter Lehmann and Craig Newnes

Synopsis

Doctors, including psychiatrists, prescribe antidepressants, neuroleptics (“antipsychotics”), mood stabilizers, tranquillizers and psychostimulants all over the world, and, in most cases, without providing information about the risks of taking them and problems when stopping, for example, adverse effects, tolerance formation, bodily and psychological dependence and withdrawal symptoms.

Nor do they tell people about ways to avoid or minimize the risks. In its report to the General Assembly of the United Nations, even the Human Rights Council’s Working Group on Arbitrary Detention demand assistance in withdrawing from prescribed psychotropic drugs for those who want to withdraw.

This volume presents a collaboration of users and survivors of psychiatry (ex-patients), professionals, researchers, lawyers, and academics around the world committed to helping people understand the potential harm (including drug dependence) that prescribed psychotropic drugs can cause and how to safely reduce or stop taking them.

The chapters include individual accounts of people who discontinued their prescribed psychotropic drugs, information about withdrawal groups, research data (especially about antidepressants and neuroleptics) and a commitment to relatively safe withdrawal that will offer hope to many people; those who want to help and those who want to withdraw.

Editors

Peter Lehmann: Peter is an author, social scientist, publisher, and an independent freelance activist in humanistic anti-psychiatry, living in Berlin, Germany.

Craig Newnes: Craig is a Consulting Critical Psychologist and Compassionate Conversationalist, ex-Director of Psychological Therapies for Shropshire's Mental Health (NHS) Trust, dad, grandad, editor and author.

To buy soon - read the reviews there, too
https://www.egalitarianpublishing.com/books/withdrawal.html

eBook available directly

http://www.peter-lehmann-publishing.com/ppd-withdrawal.htm

Content List

http://www.peter-lehmann-publishing.com/ppd-withdrawal.htm

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Mentor

Free e-book on Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome from Dr. James Greenblatt, a functional & integrative psychiatrist.  

Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome

You can order the complete book on Amazon.  It's not cheap, but from what I've heard it's really good.

Functional Medicine for Antidepressant Withdrawal

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself for two years

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

• 1 month later...
Dr Horowitz and David Taylor are publishing a book on how to get off these drugs properly and is designed for doctors and pharmacists and other prescribers and it's going to be distributed both in the UK and the US early next year.

The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs (The Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines Series) https://a.co/d/bYrJ9Gd

https://markhorowitz.org/

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

• Mentor
10 hours ago, FeralCatman said:
Dr Horowitz and David Taylor are publishing a book on how to get off these drugs properly and is designed for doctors and pharmacists and other prescribers and it's going to be distributed both in the UK and the US early next year.

The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs (The Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines Series) https://a.co/d/bYrJ9Gd

https://markhorowitz.org/

Does dr Horowitz and David Taylor and alto and SA. follow the same type of  tapering ? I’m very interested in this  book

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

Short answer is yes.

Dr. Horowitz learned how to to this in the beginning from SA when he found out about this the hard way and then did studies and expanded on it. I have talked to him via Zoom and he is incredibly nice and he's been through this. He had it so bad he had to move back to Australia with his family for awhile while he recovered because he was so sick so he completely gets it. He also is a Co-Founder of Outro Health where Altostrata is an advisor.

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

• 3 months later...

Mark Horowitz is one of the authors. It's $40 US, but it looks like it is very comprehensive and would be a great resource for tapering. The book description from Amazon.com:

Comprehensive resource describing guidelines for safely reducing or stopping (deprescribing) antidepressants, benzodiazepines, gabapentinoids and z-drugs for patients, including step-by-step guidance for all commonly used medications, covering common pitfalls, troubleshooting, supportive strategies, and more.

Most formal guidance on psychiatric medication relates to starting or switching medications with minimal guidance on deprescribing medication.

In 2023, the World Health Organisation and the United Nations called for patients, as a human right, to be informed of their right to discontinue treatment and to receive support to do so.

The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines fills a significant gap in guidance for clinicians by providing comprehensive and authoritative information on this important aspect of treatment.

This evidence-based handbook provides an overview of principles to be used in deprescribing. This is derived from fundamental scientific principles and the latest research on this topic, combined with emerging insights from clinical practice (including from patient experts).

Building on the recognised brand of The Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines, and the prominence of the authors’ work, including in The Lancet Psychiatry on tapering antidepressants (the most read article across all Lancet titles when it was released). The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines covers topics such as:

• Why and when to deprescribe antidepressants, benzodiazepines, gabapentinoids and z-drugs
  • Barriers and enablers to deprescribing including physical dependence, social circumstances, and knowledge about the discontinuation process
  • Distinguishing withdrawal symptoms, such as poor mood, anxiety, insomnia, and a variety of physical symptoms from symptoms of the underlying disorder that medication was intended to treat
  • The difference between physical dependence and addiction/substance use disorder
  • Explanation of why and how to implement hyperbolic tapering in clinical practice
  • Specific guidance on formulations of medication and techniques for making gradual reductions, including using liquid forms of medication, and other approaches
  • Step-by-step guidance for safely stopping all commonly used antidepressants, benzodiazepines, gabapentinoids and z-drugs, including fast, moderate and slow tapering regimens or schedules for each drug, and guidance on how to tailor these to an individual
  • Troubleshooting issues which can arise on stopping these medications, including akathisia, withdrawal symptoms, acute or protracted, and relapse.
  •  

Written for anyone interested in safe deprescribing of psychiatric medications including psychiatrists, GPs, pharmacists, nurses, medical trainees, and interested members of the public. The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines is an essential resource on the subject that provides practical guidance on how to improve patient outcomes in this field of medicine.

https://www.amazon.com/Maudsley-Guidelines-prescribing-Prescribing/dp/111982298X

TreeFrog          Key:   v = decrease; ^ = increase

2008: started citalopram

2019-2020:  trazodone: Sept 16-July 31

2021:  Nov 6 v cit 15mg; Nov 12 v cit 10mg; Nov 24 switched to duloxetine 30mg; Dec 8 ^ dulox 60mg

2022:  Jan 16 v dulox 30mg; Jan 31 skipped dulox doses; Feb 11 stopped dulox; Mar 20 reinstated dulox 1.9mg; Mar 26 v dulox 1.15mg; Mar 28 started traz 25mg; Mar 29 stopped dulox, started cit 5mg; Mar 31 ^ traz 37.5mg; Apr 3 ^ traz 50mg; Apr 6 ^ cit 10mg; Apr 13 ^ cit 15mg; Apr 15 v traz 37.5mg; Apr 20 v traz 25mg; Apr 23 v traz 12.5mg; Apr 29 ^ traz 18.5mg; Jun 23 v traz 16.5mg; Jul 1 ^ traz 18.5mg; Nov 3 v traz 17.5mg; Dec 20 v traz 15.75mg

2023: Jan 12 v 14mg traz; Jan 28 v 12.5mg traz

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy