Punarbhava

Recommended books on antidepressant withdrawal

ChessieCat

For people who aren't able to either buy or borrow these books, some of the authors have YouTube videos which contain similar information.

Nevertoolate

https://nypost.com/2016/04/05/are-antidepressants-making-women-sicker/

An excerpt....All you have to do is spend a few minutes on SurvivingAntidepressants.orgBeyondMeds.com, or SSRIstories.org to appreciate that we have created a monster. Millions of men, women and children the world over are suffering side effects, including complicated withdrawal routinely dismissed by their prescribing clinicians. Contrary to what Big Pharma would have you believe, weaning off antidepressants is extremely difficult, so choosing to take them could be signing up for a lifetime of medication use that creates and sustains abnormal states in the brain and entire nervous system. As a clinician who once believed in these medications, I have been humbled by what they are capable of. In fact, even when I have tapered women off of Celexa at extremely low increments of .001mg a month, it can be hard to imagine another class of substances on Earth so potentially complicated to discontinue.

I think I need to stop reading these articles. 

I'm genuinely worried and scared I'll never recover completely from the long term effects of being on these for 30 odd years. 

I don't remember ever feeling this way before after coming off them the few other times I tried.

DrugfreeProf

If you have experienced improvement thus far, which it seems like you have, then you are likely to experience further improvement, according to what I've read by other heroes (aside from Kelly Brogan) and based on many, many people's experiences. Keep the faith! And yes, be careful what you read. 

Nevertoolate

Thank you. Yes some days it's hard to believe or keep the faith but we just have to keep pushing forward because there's definately no going back!! 

Nevertoolate
8 hours ago, DrugfreeProf said:

If you have experienced improvement thus far, which it seems like you have, then you are likely to experience further improvement, according to what I've read by other heroes (aside from Kelly Brogan) and based on many, many people's experiences. Keep the faith! And yes, be careful what you read. 

Can you expand on what you mean about Kelly Brogan please?

DrugfreeProf

Kelly Brogan is one of the few medical doctors brave enough to speak out against psych drugs.

Nevertoolate

Ah no worries. Thank you. 

Onmyway

Recently I have read two books about anti-depressants and I have been having a hard time with my anger. Not anger so much about what I have been through (there is no use in that as what's done is done) but anger over what is still being inflicted on millions of people including kids. I am also angry at myself that I didn't read these books when they came out. I am a researcher exactly in this field and I can't believe I put my head in the sand for this long. At some point in my life I interviewed Joseph Biederman, the guy who has been paid millions of dollars by pharma and created the diagnostic "tests" for AHDH in children and popularized bipolar disgnosis in children. He talked to me about innovation in healthcare! This was way before he was discredited for all his conflicts of interest. I can't believe I ate it all up! 

I am glad that I know what I know now. It helps quell my fear that anxiety (what got me onto SSRIs) is not a permanent feature of my brain due to some imalance of chemicals and can hopefully be managed. At least I hope it has not become permanent after the SSRIs. 

I feel like everyone should read these books - Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker (the Mad in America founder) and The Emperor's New Drugs by Irving Kirsch. I am wondering if it would be useful to summarize these books for those of us who can't read as much in wd. I am only proposing this because I still see in some discussions people who believe the official line of the chemical imbalance. Heck, I believed it until a month or two ago. 

ChessieCat
Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 7:04 AM, Onmyway said:

I am wondering if it would be useful to summarize these books for those of us who can't read as much in wd.

There are many videos online.

Video:  Irving Kirsch:  Emperor's New Drugs:  Antidepressants and the Placebo Effect (1 hour 20 minutes)

Video:  Robert Whitaker:  Our Psychiatric Drug Epidemic (50 minutes)

Video:  Coming off Psych Drugs:  A Meeting of the Minds (1 hour 15 minutes)

Interview:  Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher (51 minutes Gwen Olsen - ex pharmaceutical representative)

Videos:  Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from? (1 minute)

How are psychiatric diagnoses made?  (1 minute 30 seconds)

Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes? (2 minutes)

Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects? (1 minute)

Do antidepressants work? (2 minutes)                 

Video:  Interview with Prof Peter Gotzsche "Deadly Medicines and Organized Crime: How Big Pharma has Corrupted Healthcare" (16 minutes)

Video:  The DSM:  Psychiatry's Deadliest Scam (1 hour 20 minutes)

Video:  Simple Truths About Psychiatry - Series of 10 by Dr Peter Breggin

Edited by ChessieCat