lili96 replacing Pristiq with Effexor

lili96

I have been taking Pristiq 100mg since 2008.  I sought therapy to save myself for my child (3 at the time).  I was explosive, abusive, and in an abusive relationship with his father.  I knew everything was wrong but I did not possess any type of healthy skill to make tings better.  Pristiq saved my life, and gave me the ability to be an amazing mother.  My son and I have an amazing relationship that required a lot of hard work in therapy.  I was successfully diagnosed with ADHD in 2013 after costing my company $4,000 by my inability to complete tasks for lack of desire.  Prior to that, I was given Ritalin which did nothing but made me lose weight.  I didn't think Adderall was going to be any different but I take 15mg 2x a day and my ability to accomplish anything has vastly improved to the point that my fellow co-workers appear lazy, and in my way.

Fast forward to April 2014, insurance policies change and Pristiq is placed on Tier 3 and they want $180/month.  I made $12,000 too much to qualify for free medication, and their discount program is a joke.  I went back to my prescribing psychiatrist and he has put me on Effexor 75mg but I had to step down off of Pristiq by taking one on and off and then going completely cold turkey for 3 days.  I made it until day 2 before I popped the Effexor which seems to be working well.  Personally, I am pissed that the prescriber pushed the name brand on me which has placed me in this whole predicament.  It is really uncomfortable coming off of Pristiq.  I feel woozy, and small noises echo in my ears.  I warned my son about the transition, advising him of what may happen and re-enforcing my love for him.  

I come from a very abusive childhood with depression and various other mental illnesses running through my family.  I was placed on Lexapro originally but was 'out of it' so they switched to Pristiq.  I am praying that this new medication works just as well.  It's $10/month.  After about 2 hours after taking the Effexor, I was out of bed, washing dishes and cooking dinner.  While I was transitioning, I was very self aware and had to maintain a control during work, and at home.  I had to warn my Director about my transition as I did not know what to expect.  I was very uncomfortable, but the hard work that I have put into bettering myself through therapy helped me keep it together.  That, and God.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lili96,  I'm sorry for all that you have been through in your life and I applaud you for

taking the steps to change things, you are obviously a very strong person and have worked hard to

turn things around. Pristiq is a nightmare of a drug to taper from and many people cross taper onto

effexor.  What you experienced would have been withdrawal from the pristiq that was relieved when

you took the effexor.  I'm glad the switch has worked for you.

Are you wanting to taper off the effexor eventually?  If you do then please check out the topics in

our tapering forum that have lots of information on psychiatric drugs and how to taoer off them.

Maybe you would like to post an introduction thread in the introductions section? It would be your

thread to ask any questions about your medications. This site is primarily to enable people to get off

psychiatric drugs slowly and safely to avoid withdrawal symptoms which are often treated as a 

return of depression and more drugs added! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible