HappyFree

HappyFree

I'm using an iPhone and am unable to start an introductions forum. Is it ok to put the info here?

• Moderator Emeritus

You are now in the Intro area--please proceed.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

PLEASE NOTE: I do not recommend what I did. Elavil since 1988. 150 mg Tapered off in 2 weeks Jan 2013 restarted 50 mg Aug 2013 on 10 mg May 2014. Valium 1992-2012 (2.5 mg 2xday) tapered off in 4 wks. Serzone 1998-2013 tapered off in 2 wks. Gabapentin 600 mg 3xda 2004 stopped Aug 2012. Meds given for post-concussion syndrome and fibromyalgia.

I have depression and anxiety. 12 step recovery helps. I eat healthy Vegan diet and do not use caffeine or food additives. I am able to concentrate and enjoy connecting with others. May you find healing! :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, HappyFree. When you have some time to spare, please put you drug history in your signature, like so:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

What is your symptom pattern now, Happyfree? Did you have withdrawal symptoms right after you quit? What were they like? How did you cope with them?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Sx pattern now negative thinking. Uncomfortable in my own skin. Want to get up and move about then get exhausted. Heart palpitations and racing heart especially after taking Elavil. Felt better yesterday after not taking Elavil. On 20 mg Elavil per bedtime and slept pretty well last night. No appetite and obsessing about food. Force myself to eat and always wondering if I eat the right food amount etc. Muscle tension and fatigue. Overwhelmed interacting with family. Headache yesterday but not today. Derealization. One year ago suicidal thoughts were stronger. Now I get them when I feel overwhelmed and dismiss them. Last year went through several months of almost no sleep, night sweats, diarrhea, stomach upset. I know I'm better than I was. I need something to hold onto. Some hope that I'll be myself again. I worry my brain won't heal. I want to be are to walk into a store without panic. To travel and see my grandchildren. I have lack of pleasure trouble buying, preparing and eating food. I'm sorry to sound so negative. Maybe I need a good swift kick. I need to be gentle with myself. So conflicted about the Elavil. Doctor does not understand protracted antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. Had me wean down from 50 mg to 20 mg in one month. Because I had such bad palpitations and racing heart all night. Was it too fast. But last night was good. I need to hold on to that. Should I take the same dose tonight or try to wean down? Appreciate your help. Last year I couldn't sit. Today I can sit but all the while my brain says get up and move around. Any suggestions I appreciate.

• Administrator

It sounds like you have akathisia, an adverse effect of too-fast withdrawal and an adverse side effect from some drugs.

This could be a withdrawal symptom from going off Elavil, Valium, Serzone, or gabapentin too fast.

Are you taking the same amount of Elavil every day and at the same time? It's important to provide stability for your nervous system.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you for responding so quickly. I studied akathisia and I believe I do have that. I appreciate your feedback. I commit to taking 20 mg Elavil each evening. Keep it the same. A day at a time. I tried to edit my signature but on this I phone I don't get settings from the arrow drop down menu.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Hi happy free. Thank you for visiting my thread :-) I thought I'd drop by and visit yours. Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Happyfree, sorry that you are going through this. You are in the right place here, we all understand

what you are going through!  Once we have your history we will have a better understanding of what is 

happening.  I'm glad you found us  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you WT and MammaP. Slept well last 2 nights on 20 mg Elavil. Feel lost don't know what to do but not going back on Meds. Today I did a lot of things. Now will go home and give Mama her Mother's Day flowers and card a day early because it's hard for me to plan or leave things on hold. Grateful I spent time with my dad outdoors and went to a 12 step meeting shopped at WG and ate in a restaurant. Want to feel comfortable in my own skin again. Learning how to use the forum. Your answers mean so much to me! The human contact. Thank you and bless you all.

• Administrator

We don't like the idea of telling people to go back on meds but sometimes reinstating a little bit is the best thing to do for a while.

Took first dose of Progesterone. Hit with brain shocks rapid heartbeat pounding heart. This happened after VIT b-12 injection as well. I'm learning to be cautious of Meds/supplements. Heart calmed down after 12 hrs.

• Administrator

Why did you take progesterone?

I went to an integrative MD and he offered me a tapering schedule to get off Elavil (too fast). He tested me and said my hormones were low. He ordered bio identical hormones. I did not take the thyroid and took the progesterone. I know now to not take any more supplements. Right now I take Advair, minerals, DHA/EPA, and Elavil 20 mg. I had to reduce the Elavil because of arrhythmias.

Thank you for the link. At one time I suspected the Advair was a problem causing arrhythmias and my former doctor dismissed my concern. I'll take it up with my current doctor. I appreciate your assistance and attention to details!

I left you a note in the instructions for making a signature thread....

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 2 weeks later...

I need advice. Went to a MH inpatient center where I took 5 doses if Valium then stopped 48 hrs ago then started gabapentin 48 hrs ago and feel horrible. I realiZe I need to taper off both. Where can I find a schedule?

• Administrator

You've only been taking gabapentin for 48 hours? You don't need to taper, you can just stop.

Did you take Valium for 5 days? Do you have any left?

I stopped both and feel much better. I believe I avoided kindling by only taking 4 doses gabapentin and 5 doses Valium. I just stopped and got rid of the pills. The five doses Valium wereon tues and wed.

The five doses Valium were mon tues and wed. The 4 doses gabapentin were thurs and fri. Got rid of all pills. Elavil was stopped because of what it did to my heart. No more racing pulse now. Feeling better.

• Administrator

Good to hear. If that's all you took of Valium, you're probably okay benzo-wise.

It still may take some time for your nervous system to settle down.

Dr took me off Elavil abruptly one week ago because of heart tachyarrhythmias. I have akathisia impossible to settle down to rest. I have had milder form of it over the years. Does VIT b-6 help? What about propranolol or cogentin? Any experience? I was on the Elavil 26 years quick taper last year akathisia stopped when I was off then started when I reinstated.

• Moderator Emeritus

B6 can be too activating for many people in withdrawal. I took magnesium with B6 added and 

was restless and agitated, I bought another magnesium supplement without the B6 and it is much better.

I don't know anything about the others you mentioned.  Care needs to be taken with supplements as 

they can have adverse effects on a compromised nervous system.  

There are tome good topics in the symptoms and self care section with lots of useful info. You can find

that here. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/606-important-topics-about-tests-supplements-herbs-treatments/

Desperation leads us to trying absolutely anything that might help with the symptoms, in those

topics you can see what others have tried and how they helped, or not! Sometimes the best thing to just 

stick to good simple food, gentle exercise and enough sleep if that's at all possible. I have a cupboard full

of expensive supplements and now stick to just fish oil and magnesium. :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

HappyFree, do you remember the possibility of a conflict between Advair and Elavil?

Thank you for the link. At one time I suspected the Advair was a problem causing arrhythmias and my former doctor dismissed my concern. I'll take it up with my current doctor. I appreciate your assistance and attention to details!

I take it you couldn't reduce or discontinue Advair to stop the arrhythmias?

You are now experiencing the Elavil withdrawal symptoms again. Taking a little Elavil is the best way to stop them. Perhaps 10mg will work.

But you may still need to address the conflict with Advair.

Not doing well. Been told I should reinstate 1/2 dose. Elavil was affecting my heart that's why dr stopped it. Could revisit. Maybe up dose of heart med. Any ideas? Escalating mood, losing sodium and fluid from tissues that had started 4 weeks ago. Increased SI. Had been on Elavil since 2000 went off 150 mg quickly Jan 2013 reinstated Sept 2013 50 mg weaned to 40 mg went off CT while in facility per dr order. Took 10 mg 2 days later and it caused heart racing. My heart races with med and supplement changes. P.s. Had taken 4 doses Valium earlier in week and 4 doses gabapentin after stopping Elavil. Off both.

• 2 weeks later...

I have several signs of severe malabsorption - sore tongue, body tissues wasting, bloating, vitamin deficiencies. Besides going through benzo and AD WD and it's resultant gut absorption issues I also have short gut sundrome due to removal colon and rectum 11 years ago. Here's my question - as my gut heals why not use Total Parenteral Nutrition? It can be done at home with a pump and catheter into vein. I cannot talk my PCP or GI doctor to do this for me. Is there any literature citing this as a short or longterm treatment for those in protracted benzo or AD withdrawal? Please let me know so I can show my doctors. I feel like I am starving to death all the time. I heard of the GAPS diet does anyone have experience with this?

• Moderator Emeritus

Happyfree,

I moved this topic to your intro because it is very specific to your situation and the collection of issues you are dealing with individually.

I doubt there is an literature on this in connection with withdrawal (given how limited the withdrawal literature is in general)

Use the search button to find posts on the GAPS diet and peoples experiences with it.   When you have read the existing posts you may want to ask specific questions here or in another topic that's suitable

cheers

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi HappyFree,

I'm sorry you are having to deal with those gut absorption issues along with WD symptoms.  There is a section on non-irritating diets, including GAPS at the end of this thread if you scroll to the bottom:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

Please would you put a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature, it helps people understand your context when they read your posts. It appears at the bottom of each post and usually results in more responses because it makes it easier for people to relate to your situation.  Instructions for how to do that are here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes