☼ Wilma78: mirtazapine abrupt withdrawal due health problems

wilma78

hi wilma78,

hope u r feeling better. i am weaning off mitazapine. i sometimes feel pins and needles in my head. have u experienced this? i pm you. cheers hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wilma78

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• mammaP

Top Posters In This Topic

hi wilma78,

hope u r feeling better. i am weaning off mitazapine. i sometimes feel pins and needles in my head. have u experienced this? i pm you. cheers hopefull.

i have also experienced andrenalin surges at night which scare me. it makes me think that i am going mad. i have it on and off. what about you?

DRUG HISTORY:

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

How are you doing?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Hello Wilma,

How are you doing?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply again... life has been extremely hard... as a week after my last post my dad died suddenly of a blood clot he was very young... still in total shock from that snd grieving then last week my toddler suddenly got ill and was put on life support buttthankfully he pulled through and is home after a scary horrendous week.

During this time I had decided to take a different approach to my drops and follow the plan that cita a charity in England have. So this entails making a drop one day a week over 7 weeks or more if needed. I hsd already started this because my world was turned upside down and am currently heading towards my 2mg target. I have found reducting on mirtazapine this way certainly suits me and my brain can function better... that and I sm understanding the symptoms of withdrawal more.

Hopeful I totally understand the adrenaline surges and they are scary... I woke the other night and my heart rate was 140. I find when I get that weird mad head feeling I just take my pulse and when its high I can justify why I feel like it and it's just the drug and I calm down.

If I don't post for a while its because things have been tough but I guess what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. X

Started mirtazapine on 29th jan 2014 dosages:

7.5mg for 17 days then

15mg for 12 weeks awful reaction to this drug. Sudden cold turkey stopping as suggested by gp however in May 2014 're started at 3.75mg and did very very slow taper until September 2015 and I am now drug free and in recovery ????

Ps tgirl are you withdrawing from mirt?

7.5mg for 17 days then

15mg for 12 weeks awful reaction to this drug. Sudden cold turkey stopping as suggested by gp however in May 2014 're started at 3.75mg and did very very slow taper until September 2015 and I am now drug free and in recovery ????

• Moderator Emeritus

Wilma I am so sorry to hear that you lost your dad, and that your little one was so sick, what a

horrendous week time that was for you. I'm glad that your taper is going well for you, take care and listen 

to your body, you are doing great considering what you have been through. 

I haven't heard of that method before, does that mean you make a cut every week or miss a dose one day a week? 

Keep us updated won't you, but don't feel guilty if you don't get in, you have a life to live but we do care and would love

to hear how you are doing when you have a minute.   :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Sorry for the late reply again... life has been extremely hard... as a week after my last post my dad died suddenly of a blood clot he was very young... still in total shock from that snd grieving then last week my toddler suddenly got ill and was put on life support buttthankfully he pulled through and is home after a scary horrendous week.

During this time I had decided to take a different approach to my drops and follow the plan that cita a charity in England have. So this entails making a drop one day a week over 7 weeks or more if needed. I hsd already started this because my world was turned upside down and am currently heading towards my 2mg target. I have found reducting on mirtazapine this way certainly suits me and my brain can function better... that and I sm understanding the symptoms of withdrawal more.

Hopeful I totally understand the adrenaline surges and they are scary... I woke the other night and my heart rate was 140. I find when I get that weird mad head feeling I just take my pulse and when its high I can justify why I feel like it and it's just the drug and I calm down.

If I don't post for a while its because things have been tough but I guess what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. X

Good greif!!! I'm soooooo sorry for your loss and for the scare with your son!

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Goodness me - so sorry for your loss!

Pleased to hear you son is better.

Take good care.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Yes wilma,

I am also withdrawing from mirt.

How are you doing?

Sorry to hear about our dad and your baby.

I hope all is well. Sending prayers your way,

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the prayers and support etc. After my last post my brother was then rushed to hospital.. we all live together and his symptoms brought back memories of the horrendous night we had with my dad but thankfully my brother is ok now and my little boy is still doing well.

Mamma p the plan I have been doing is dropping a dose one day a week until level. I decided that a 10% drop was enough for me will all I am trying to cope with so this is my seventh week and I am on 2.20mg. Since my last post I have been a wonderful window :-) however on week 7 the drop hit me and I have had all the symptoms I have posted previously including servere anxiety and mind worries. .. its been 3 days in a wave but each day has got easier apart from eating as I have no appetite. I have found my allergies seem bad too as I reacted to walking in a room with fresh tuna which is a new thing...this aling side being due a ladies monthly has knocked me for 6 and I feel quite flu like and heady but all withdrawal.

Any other ladies find withdrawal very hard around menstrual times.

How is everyone doing.

Blessings x

7.5mg for 17 days then

Symptoms much worse a couple days before my period and a couple days in.  terrible body pain and burning and tingling, headache, nausea etc...Ugh it's terrible.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Me too fustrated and I find the anxiety is aweful at the same times too.

7.5mg for 17 days then

yes I get andrenaline whooshes and it makes me more nauseous

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

This month my adrenalin woooshes have been lasting nearly all day... its nice to share our experiences so we.. know its normal for withdrawal as today up until 5pm I just felt mad.

7.5mg for 17 days then

Another bad day with aweful fuzzy mind where I couldn't do much or even communicate with anyone as I felt so flat and disconnected. I think my body needs anither drop so did a .2mg drop again tonight and will follow my plan. When I get to 2.0mg I will try a bigger drop depending on how I feel grieving wise :-(

How much are other people dropping by on this drug?

7.5mg for 17 days then

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update. Since my last post I have managed to get down to 1mg... in this time wii have had good and back windows.. some windows lasting 2 weeks. This is brilliant but means the waves hit you like a tonne of bricks which has happened over the last few days. I have also noticed that at this lower dose my brain seems to be in and out of sedation mode as I seem to be more aware of how out of it mirtazapine makes you feel. This has made me a complete worry wort with intrusive worries. ... but all part of the journey. Tonight I noticed the adrenaline surges and seized hands plus numb face but these all set in after worries about anything and everything. ... I have gone from subhect to subject all day and felt a complete nutter. After reading through my posts here I think my body needs another cut and quick as the withdrawal pattern is still following suite.

7.5mg for 17 days then

Hi Wilma78,

Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing and problems with your son's and brother's health. It is great that you have windows when you are feeling good. I am just wondering with withdrawal symptoms do you get adrenaline surges if you are feeling extremely anxious? I get them with and without anxiety. Sometimes I get it with worrying thoughts. When it happens I feel burning at the back of my head. Do you get cold chills, like someone is blowing cold air on your face or the cold chills are coming out of your body? Like someone is passing by you ad you get that chilly feeling. I get that often, and I notice I get it also with anxiety. I never had this before the meds. Since the cut to 1 mg , are you able to sleep? I wish you all the best, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

• 9 months later...

Hi all. I just wanted to update my story to hopefully give people hope on coming off this medication. I have been drug free for 3 months now. Wow my life is certainly back... I still get waves.. especially after stressful times and hormonal times etc however the waves are weaker and weaker each time and this latest wave seems to be a a good wave if that makes sense, I can look back on my waves in my diary since summer 2014 and I see how I have improved and tackled life's challenges throughout this whole process, life has been hard even without withdrawal however I have battled through as I know that's what my dad would have wanted. I can certainly say I am in RECOVERY now. God bless x

7.5mg for 17 days then

Thank you so much for coming back and sharing this wonderful news with us.  It is so exciting to have some one tell us they are doing so well.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

Very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant thank you... we like the sun

Today is a bad wave... the usual.suspect withdrawal things however not bad if that makes sense because I could still function (to an extent) ha ha and this wave I think started due to a touch of a virus.

I have learnt not to p panic at my waves symptoms and it really helps

When I am fully recovered and my brain is functioning on all cylinders I will definitely write my success story and hopefully in the mean time my latest blog's will give others hope and belief in themselves that this CAN be done and there is light at the end of the tunnel getting brighter xx

7.5mg for 17 days then

Hi Wilma78,

God bless you and thank you for the update.

Best wishes, Hopefull. :)

DRUG HISTORY: