SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Abriton: Help with tapering tiny doses of mirtazapine

Abriton

• Moderator Emeritus

CS

Good idea to do one thing at a time. I've tried glycine and inositol. Neither helped me. That's why I say everyone has their own 100 little things. Obviously getting your machine sorted is a big one for you. Hope you've cracked the code

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I have been trying Lemon Balm extract. Two or three dropperfuls in a little water at bedtime, and again if you wake up in the night. Can also take it during the day for anxiety. It works! It also comes in capsules. A good one is New Chapter.

Well I'll be doggoned, WebMD has some info on it. Under the Uses tab it lists what they feel it is POSSIBLY effective for and there are some surprising conditions listed. Read the full scoop here: Lemon Balm Uses and Effectiveness

As with everything, start out small and work up.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

OK guys. Last night I slept 8 hours for the first time in months and months! I woke up once and took a little more extract of the Lemon Balm extract. You can get 1 oz by Herb Pharm or Gaia, and if it works for you, go online to Amazon. They have an 8oz bottle by Botanipure for $47 free shipping in the US. One can also find 4oz bottles online. Capsules are good too, but make sure you get a high quality with no added ingredients apart from lemon balm.

For those who cannot take alchohol, make sure you get an alchohol free extract or capsules. Other countries are sure to have their own source. It has been widely used in Europe for years. May not be used with thyroid medication I believe. Otherwise quite safe. Do your own research. Hope this helps.

I know I still need some and I might try adding some taurine because I still don't feel I am sleeping well. I wake a lot.

Was not thinking and was in a hurry last night, gobbled the whole 200 mg mag glycinate instead of my usual half and a full 500mg cap of taurine. Got the runs this morn and no difference in sleep (still woke early) but I feel slightly more rested somehow.

Still a delicate flower, I'm afraid......

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Lemon Balm is still good. Waking about 5, which Is giving me 7 hours. One can take it in the day too, for anxiety. It is very calming and has seemed to almost gotten rid of palpitations. One can start by three or four droppers full of the liquid extract with a little water, or capsules. Worth a try, as one cannot overdose. No side effects. If it works for you, search online for larger bottles. I found a good source of 4oz liquid on EBay, as well as Amazon (USA). I am hoping it will retrain my sleep pattern.

CS. Give it a few days. Don't drive after taking it till you see how sedating it is for you. Also don't take it with anything else sedating, till you know. If you feel it has potential, then up the dose gradually.

Last night, I took 14 drops (half the starting dose) and had my usual wakeup after 3 hours.  I then took about the same amount to get back to sleep for 2 more hours.

Unfortunately, it felt like I experienced very light sleep, particularly during the last two hours but hopefully, this will get better.  And perhaps because I took it the day after using Temazepam, that could have effected the results.   So tonight, it will be interesting to see what happens.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

CS, yes, the Temazepam may have affected it. 14 drops is a very small dose. It is not toxic, so you could take more. You can also take it in the day in addition.

Yes. I find that taking it in the optimum dose just before bed, is slowly improving my early waking. There is also Lemon Balm tea by Alvita, from Amazon or local health food store. I have ordered some to try. The other thing to look at is bulk Lemon Balm tea from an herbal tea supplier. You can infuse it and sip through the day. If you Google Life Extension Lemon Balm, they have some interesting research articles.

I believe it is a matter of slowly increasing the tincture until you achieve the desired effect. The good news is, it can do no harm, and no withdrawal! What a concept!

Yes. I find that taking it in the optimum dose just before bed, is slowly improving my early waking. There is also Lemon Balm tea by Alvita, from Amazon or local health food store. I have ordered some to try. The other thing to look at is bulk Lemon Balm tea from an herbal tea supplier. You can infuse it and sip through the day. If you Google Life Extension Lemon Balm, they have some interesting research articles.

I believe it is a matter of slowly increasing the tincture until you achieve the desired effect. The good news is, it can do no harm, and no withdrawal! What a concept!

That is great to hear.

Reluctant to take it during the day since I already have problems with staying awake and don't want to consume anything that will compound the problem.  I don't think a few quick naps interfere with sleep but too many close to my bedtime definitely do.

Hopefully, I will get good quality sleep tonight.  

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 11 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I am posting this out of curiosity and  not for myself, since I am doing a slow taper off mirt.  Someone on another forum wrote that:

Quote:  I no longer need it to sleep anymore and my depression has got considerably  better after quitting but for some reason I am sleeping more heavily than I ever have in my entire life.. I am now using nothing to help me sleep and I can barely open my eyes in the morning and I hallucinate severely at night (I have for a long long tiime, but it's worse now and far more disturbing)..

Is this a side effect of quitting mirtazapine?? I can't tell if I'm ill or it's just because I'm medication free for the first time in a year.. 

end quote:

I am asking them how they came off and suggested coming here, but in the meantime, I find it interesting because from what I've read of peoples' experiences coming off mirt, they usually have severe insomnia!  

Thoughts?

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

I wonder how long ago they stopped?  Sounds like a w/d reaction , and I'd be surprised if this person is stable.

" I can't tell if I'm ill or it's just because I'm medication free for the first time in a year.."

My bet is their symptom profile will continue to change.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 4 years later...
  • Administrator

@Abriton, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.