Jump to content
areyouthere

Peer support / meet-up groups?

Recommended Posts

India

Who would be interested in a London support group?

Share this post


Link to post
MissDee

Anyone in Portland, OR?

 

SE Portland is where my son is, and hanging on by a thread!  He could really use someone to talk to!!

Share this post


Link to post
ChessieCat

@MissDee

 

I suggest that you tell your son about SA and encourage him to join as a member so that we can provide him with information and support.

 

Edited by ChessieCat

Share this post


Link to post
India
On 12/5/2015 at 11:11 PM, oskcajga said:

ou NEVER hear a drug addict complaining about symptoms 2 years after stopping - never.  Ever.  They're talking about how to handle their emotions, keep their jobs, handle family etc, but I never heard anyone talk about the long term disabling symptoms of long term hardcore drug abuse (and yes, many many people were hardcore drug addicts and have fully recovered within a 3-9 month period).

This is so true. It is hard to not feel bitter about the time it steals from us.

Share this post


Link to post
noearthlyfamily

Topic title:  Any experience with NA as a support group for taperers?

 

does anyone have experience with NA (Narcotics Anonymous) as a suport group for those of us tapering and preparing to taper off of other psychiatric drugs?

 

from my experience with AA years ago, i know the 12 steps and i know about sponsors and the like... however i've never been in NA and duno if they are receptive to people on prescription drugs or if there's a difference to them what kind or why we are on them...and do they care if the goal is to be off the drugs eventually for good vs staying in the program post taper and stabilization...i mean do they only allow addicts per se or those people who WANT to keep taking drugs or do they allow people who are trying to get off the drugs and need a support group for the process of however many years it takes? 

 

also does  anyone know if you can be in NA if you don't have a higher power/god/God/etc? can you be in their support group without a belief in a deity?

 

there's a group close to my home, but i'm scared of judgement or rejection because of my tapering and my lack of a religion or belief in any deity. 

 

thanks yall

 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Share this post


Link to post
Gracee
3 hours ago, noearthlyfamily said:

Topic title:  Any experience with NA as a support group for taperers?

 

does anyone have experience with NA (Narcotics Anonymous) as a suport group for those of us tapering and preparing to taper off of other psychiatric drugs?

 

from my experience with AA years ago, i know the 12 steps and i know about sponsors and the like... however i've never been in NA and duno if they are receptive to people on prescription drugs or if there's a difference to them what kind or why we are on them...and do they care if the goal is to be off the drugs eventually for good vs staying in the program post taper and stabilization...i mean do they only allow addicts per se or those people who WANT to keep taking drugs or do they allow people who are trying to get off the drugs and need a support group for the process of however many years it takes? 

 

also does  anyone know if you can be in NA if you don't have a higher power/god/God/etc? can you be in their support group without a belief in a deity?

 

there's a group close to my home, but i'm scared of judgement or rejection because of my tapering and my lack of a religion or belief in any deity. 

 

thanks yall

 

@noearthlyfamily

Who can be a member?

If an addict wants to be a member of Narcotics Anonymous, all that addict needs is a desire to stop using. Our Third Tradition ensures that. Whether an individual NA member chooses to be a member of a particular group as well is entirely up to that individual. Access to the meetings of some NA groups is restricted by factors beyond the control of these groups— national border-crossing laws, for instance, or prison security regulations. However, these groups themselves do not bar any NA member from joining them.

 

As is AA, believing in God or a deity is not required.   You can make the group your higher power.

https://na.org/admin/include/spaw2/uploads/pdf/litfiles/us_english/Booklet/Group Booklet.pdf

 

Share this post


Link to post
noearthlyfamily

yes!!!

 

that's how i remember the old timers saying it...but then the groups were quite different. anybody who was agnostic, atheist, apatheist or of polytheist beliefs was discouraged from speaking. it was not good. but Bill W. said you can make the group your HP! 

 

so...i guess i'll be going at least to feel out the NA group support and if they don't support me then i've got you guys. and hopefully benzo buddies...haven't gotten to know anyone there.

 

this SA has been the most helpful and welcoming source of support and information that i've found online so far. 💜💙💚

Share this post


Link to post
Gracee
Just now, noearthlyfamily said:

yes!!!

 

that's how i remember the old timers saying it...but then the groups were quite different. anybody who was agnostic, atheist, apatheist or of polytheist beliefs was discouraged from speaking. it was not good. but Bill W. said you can make the group your HP! 

 

so...i guess i'll be going at least to feel out the NA group support and if they don't support me then i've got you guys. and hopefully benzo buddies...haven't gotten to know anyone there.

 

this SA has been the most helpful and welcoming source of support and information that i've found online so far. 💜💙💚

 

You can also use AA.

Share this post


Link to post
ChasingRainbows

I would love to join a support group in London, UK. Is there anybody there who would be interested in meeting up somewhere nice? 

Share this post


Link to post
noearthlyfamily
On 2/18/2019 at 5:32 PM, noearthlyfamily said:

yes!!!

 

that's how i remember the old timers saying it...but then the groups were quite different. anybody who was agnostic, atheist, apatheist or of polytheist beliefs was discouraged from speaking. it was not good. but Bill W. said you can make the group your HP! 

 

so...i guess i'll be going at least to feel out the NA group support and if they don't support me then i've got you guys. and hopefully benzo buddies...haven't gotten to know anyone there.

 

this SA has been the most helpful and welcoming source of support and information that i've found online so far. 💜💙💚

 

okay! so that was very encoraging and i'd have to rate the first NA meeting as a success! i waited for a period of 3 day window where i slept pretty good and seemed more stabilized before i went to the meeting. i'm ypersensitive around people now, so i wantwed to be as confident and feeeling as safe as possible. i went to the 8-9:30pm meeting, and at the end, i asked if i could speak. the groups was super supportive and encouraged me to talk. 

 

i asked about the psych med tapering longterm thing and the godless thing making the group my higher power and they wholeheartedly agreed and even quoted the literature supporting it. they repeatedly told me i was in the right place and a welcome member of the group!

 

after i shared my querstions, a man spoke and said i just told his story! he has been tapering off psych meds for 14 years nad he totally understood. so i gave my number and asked if there were any women i could talk to maybe for sponsorship etc who understood about my meds tapering and wouldnt shove god down my throat...

 

two women came and hugged me and one gave me her name and number so i'll call tomorrow. 

 

it's easier to go forward face the withdrawals knowing i have a support group to back me up.

 

just wantedt o share my good experience with yall!

Share this post


Link to post
India
On 2/24/2019 at 5:29 AM, ChasingRainbows said:

I would love to join a support group in London, UK. Is there anybody there who would be interested in meeting up somewhere nice? 

@ChasingRainbows I was interested in one too. I am in London. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×