areyouthere

Peer support / meet-up groups?

India

Who would be interested in a London support group?

MissDee

Anyone in Portland, OR?

SE Portland is where my son is, and hanging on by a thread!  He could really use someone to talk to!!

ChessieCat

@MissDee

I suggest that you tell your son about SA and encourage him to join as a member so that we can provide him with information and support.

Edited by ChessieCat

India
On 12/5/2015 at 11:11 PM, oskcajga said:

ou NEVER hear a drug addict complaining about symptoms 2 years after stopping - never.  Ever.  They're talking about how to handle their emotions, keep their jobs, handle family etc, but I never heard anyone talk about the long term disabling symptoms of long term hardcore drug abuse (and yes, many many people were hardcore drug addicts and have fully recovered within a 3-9 month period).

This is so true. It is hard to not feel bitter about the time it steals from us.

noearthlyfamily

Topic title:  Any experience with NA as a support group for taperers?

does anyone have experience with NA (Narcotics Anonymous) as a suport group for those of us tapering and preparing to taper off of other psychiatric drugs?

from my experience with AA years ago, i know the 12 steps and i know about sponsors and the like... however i've never been in NA and duno if they are receptive to people on prescription drugs or if there's a difference to them what kind or why we are on them...and do they care if the goal is to be off the drugs eventually for good vs staying in the program post taper and stabilization...i mean do they only allow addicts per se or those people who WANT to keep taking drugs or do they allow people who are trying to get off the drugs and need a support group for the process of however many years it takes? 

also does  anyone know if you can be in NA if you don't have a higher power/god/God/etc? can you be in their support group without a belief in a deity?

there's a group close to my home, but i'm scared of judgement or rejection because of my tapering and my lack of a religion or belief in any deity. 

thanks yall

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Gracee
3 hours ago, noearthlyfamily said:

Topic title:  Any experience with NA as a support group for taperers?

does anyone have experience with NA (Narcotics Anonymous) as a suport group for those of us tapering and preparing to taper off of other psychiatric drugs?

from my experience with AA years ago, i know the 12 steps and i know about sponsors and the like... however i've never been in NA and duno if they are receptive to people on prescription drugs or if there's a difference to them what kind or why we are on them...and do they care if the goal is to be off the drugs eventually for good vs staying in the program post taper and stabilization...i mean do they only allow addicts per se or those people who WANT to keep taking drugs or do they allow people who are trying to get off the drugs and need a support group for the process of however many years it takes? 

also does  anyone know if you can be in NA if you don't have a higher power/god/God/etc? can you be in their support group without a belief in a deity?

there's a group close to my home, but i'm scared of judgement or rejection because of my tapering and my lack of a religion or belief in any deity. 

thanks yall

@noearthlyfamily

Who can be a member?

If an addict wants to be a member of Narcotics Anonymous, all that addict needs is a desire to stop using. Our Third Tradition ensures that. Whether an individual NA member chooses to be a member of a particular group as well is entirely up to that individual. Access to the meetings of some NA groups is restricted by factors beyond the control of these groups— national border-crossing laws, for instance, or prison security regulations. However, these groups themselves do not bar any NA member from joining them.

As is AA, believing in God or a deity is not required.   You can make the group your higher power.

https://na.org/admin/include/spaw2/uploads/pdf/litfiles/us_english/Booklet/Group Booklet.pdf

noearthlyfamily

yes!!!

that's how i remember the old timers saying it...but then the groups were quite different. anybody who was agnostic, atheist, apatheist or of polytheist beliefs was discouraged from speaking. it was not good. but Bill W. said you can make the group your HP! 

so...i guess i'll be going at least to feel out the NA group support and if they don't support me then i've got you guys. and hopefully benzo buddies...haven't gotten to know anyone there.

this SA has been the most helpful and welcoming source of support and information that i've found online so far. 💜💙💚

Gracee
Just now, noearthlyfamily said:

yes!!!

that's how i remember the old timers saying it...but then the groups were quite different. anybody who was agnostic, atheist, apatheist or of polytheist beliefs was discouraged from speaking. it was not good. but Bill W. said you can make the group your HP! 

so...i guess i'll be going at least to feel out the NA group support and if they don't support me then i've got you guys. and hopefully benzo buddies...haven't gotten to know anyone there.

this SA has been the most helpful and welcoming source of support and information that i've found online so far. 💜💙💚

You can also use AA.

ChasingRainbows

I would love to join a support group in London, UK. Is there anybody there who would be interested in meeting up somewhere nice? 

noearthlyfamily
On 2/18/2019 at 5:32 PM, noearthlyfamily said:

yes!!!

okay! so that was very encoraging and i'd have to rate the first NA meeting as a success! i waited for a period of 3 day window where i slept pretty good and seemed more stabilized before i went to the meeting. i'm ypersensitive around people now, so i wantwed to be as confident and feeeling as safe as possible. i went to the 8-9:30pm meeting, and at the end, i asked if i could speak. the groups was super supportive and encouraged me to talk. 

i asked about the psych med tapering longterm thing and the godless thing making the group my higher power and they wholeheartedly agreed and even quoted the literature supporting it. they repeatedly told me i was in the right place and a welcome member of the group!

after i shared my querstions, a man spoke and said i just told his story! he has been tapering off psych meds for 14 years nad he totally understood. so i gave my number and asked if there were any women i could talk to maybe for sponsorship etc who understood about my meds tapering and wouldnt shove god down my throat...

two women came and hugged me and one gave me her name and number so i'll call tomorrow. 

it's easier to go forward face the withdrawals knowing i have a support group to back me up.

just wantedt o share my good experience with yall!

India
On 2/24/2019 at 5:29 AM, ChasingRainbows said:

I would love to join a support group in London, UK. Is there anybody there who would be interested in meeting up somewhere nice? 

@ChasingRainbows I was interested in one too. I am in London. 

JB1234

Anyone in Los Angeles area?  The city of Angels (as well as  traffic and pollution)

alexrosear
On 3/16/2019 at 5:48 PM, India said:

@ChasingRainbows I was interested in one too. I am in London. 

I would be very interested in this! Came on here to ask about this actually!

drugged
On 6/28/2018 at 6:59 AM, Shep said:

This looks like a good resource for members who are setting up meet-ups - you can contact them for a "toolkit" for setting up a meet-up of people coming off these drugs.

WARM Network - Withdrawal and Recovery Meeting

More from the co-founders are on Rxisk.org:

The WARM Network: Withdrawal and Recovery Meetings

This sounds quite promising.  Unfortunately, there's nothing available near where I'm currently at.  

I have run support groups in the past.  The part of Arizona we're going to be moving back to is near Tucson.  I might be interested in looking into setting up a WARM group there once I'm settled.  I could even offer a group en español if there was enough interest in it.    

I'm most familiar with the ACA 12-step groups (Adult Children) and Al-Anon.  The Adult Children groups have been the most welcoming and helpful for me.  If there were an Emotions Anonymous group near me I'd give it a try, it sounds intriguing.  

manymoretodays
Posted (edited)

Announcing a Peer facilitated group, that I saw a flyer for and participated in myself this past week, out of Western Massachusetts

It's titled "Online Psych drug Support Group", and is intended for anybody in any stage of thinking about, or making changes, reducing/ coming off psych drugs.

It's a space for mutual support, and to share resources, learning, and relevant information with one another.  Not meant to tell people how or if they should come off.

This isn't for family members and friends, just the individual.

It is held via a Zoom format, on Tuesdays, at 7 pm EST(US time) and goes for 90 minutes.

More information and how to access below:
7pm EST: Pysch Drug Support Group* (For people withdrawing from, making changes to, or otherwise examining their relationship to psychiatric drugs)

Access: E-mail zoe@westernmassrlc.org or jeanmarie@westernmassrlc.org for login and other details

^ taken from the Western Massrlc.org website

Home > Online and phone supports> scroll down to Groups for People Struggling with Substances(both prescribed and non-prescribed)> Tuesday Psych Drug Support Group

Edited by manymoretodays

FarmGirlWorks

@manymoretodays: what was your experience with it? I've been going to AA meetings on Zoom and impressed with how quickly folks are responding to it. I was thinking that an online group for ADWD would be great to combat isolation and a scary experience. Anyways, curious what your thoughts are.

manymoretodays
Posted (edited)

Hi FGW.  Yes me too...Zoom AA and even a family Zoom.  This group I shared/mentioned was set up prior to the Covid19.  Yes, some kind of group, Zoom or other online with video, for specifically ADWD could be nice, for now, and ongoing support.  As we know....support is often nonexistent for many of us, during normal times, non pandemic virus times.  I liked it, the one I attended from above.  Good group format.....no one really took the floor.  Around the issues/topics, pretty much that they had outlined.  I felt pretty shy....timid....as I usually do in new places with new people.  And will stop in to that one when time allows.  I am busier than ever lately.  And pacing( myself, not literally pacing B)).  Zoom is about $15.00/month I believe, for the originator.  I need to, even now, limit my time on screen or droid too, and keep a healthy balance for myself.  Too many hours screen for me, not healthy.  Beautiful day today here.  Some bulbs poking their little heads up and sunshine off and on.  Be well.  L,p,h, and g.  mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
pacing clarified

manymoretodays

Oh...adding to.  I think that I may be so inspired to start a local group, on the ground sometime.  Could be several months is my understanding, to continue with precautions.  Thankfully, due to all my experiences to date, and I suspect many others here, I have a great repertoire of non drug coping skills and practices for social isolation.  And am floored by all the unsung heroes and heroines during this tough time for all. It can bring out the best in human beings!  ❤️

delsol

Announcing the new Ohio Psych Drug Survivor Support group:  We first started it through Meetup.com, but their fees were prohibitive, so right now we just have a FB page. We had one meeting back in March, just before the Coronavirus shutdowns, so until people are able to reconvene, it is unclear when we will meet in person again. Here is the link to our Facebook page: 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/217087892822751/

Please share.  We are located near Cleveland but hope to involve any Ohioans in advocacy and support.